Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 775
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Okay thatís just great, I love when stories look at the practicality of how things work, even when magic is involved.

    On another note, unenchanted Tedd has larger breasts than I remember.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Okay thatís just great, I love when stories look at the practicality of how things work, even when magic is involved.

    On another note, unenchanted Tedd has larger breasts than I remember.
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. Wasn't default Fem!Tedd, like, an A-cup?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Hang on, when did Tedd apply her current hair-and-clothes-change enchantment?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Hang on, when did Tedd apply her current hair-and-clothes-change enchantment?
    Off panel before the party, I believe.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Off panel before the party, I believe.
    Nope, Tedd was short-haired at the start.

    ... Ah, found it. https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-143
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Nope, Tedd was short-haired at the start.

    ... Ah, found it. https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-143
    Glad I could help.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  7. - Top - End - #637
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    If the mirror shows what people look like without enchamtments, then why does Tedd's reflection still show her female form? Is Tedd's mark power somehow not an enchamtment? Did I forget that being explained somehow?

  8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. Wasn't default Fem!Tedd, like, an A-cup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    If the mirror shows what people look like without enchamtments, then why does Tedd's reflection still show her female form? Is Tedd's mark power somehow not an enchantment? Did I forget that being explained somehow?
    the Spell Pandora gave Tedd allows Tedd to change her sex at will as well as alter how feminine or masculine her appearance is... But is only an enchantment if she's changing in a way that doesn't match her current perception of her own Gender.

    If Tedd is mentally to be a girl when she changes into a a female form with that spell, the form she assumes when she casts the spell becomes her permanent default state.

    My guess: Tedd wanted to have larger breasts than her default the last time she switched to female. the change to her hair and clothes is either a separate spell or a second casting of the spell Pandora gave her.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    the Spell Pandora gave Tedd allows Tedd to change her sex at will as well as alter how feminine or masculine her appearance is... But is only an enchantment if she's changing in a way that doesn't match her current perception of her own Gender.

    If Tedd is mentally to be a girl when she changes into a a female form with that spell, the form she assumes when she casts the spell becomes her permanent default state.

    My guess: Tedd wanted to have larger breasts than her default the last time she switched to female. the change to her hair and clothes is either a separate spell or a second casting of the spell Pandora gave her.
    I don't think that's quite right. From what I remember, Tedd can toggle their "base form" between male and female in a true sense, i.e. permanently, not as an enchantment. However, Tedd doesn't get to modify what this base form looks like being, you know, their base form. And I don't think it has anything to do with how Tedd feels at the time; it's just a light switch they can flip whenever. Tedd just only uses it to match their current gender, as one might expect.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2020-10-22 at 05:14 AM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I don't think that's quite right. From what I remember, Tedd can toggle their "base form" between male and female in a true sense, i.e. permanently, not as an enchantment. However, Tedd doesn't get to modify what this base form looks like being, you know, their base form. And I don't think it has anything to do with how Tedd feels at the time; it's just a light switch they can flip whenever. Tedd just only uses it to match their current gender, as one might expect.
    Okay, hell. Maybe it's the angle?

    Growth spurt? You don't finish maturing until you're about 25.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Okay, hell. Maybe it's the angle?

    Growth spurt? You don't finish maturing until you're about 25.
    I don't think people go up two or three cup sizes in, like, a week. Growth spurts aren't that dramatic.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Sep 2018

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    I'm pretty sure there was talk about their state modifying the spell. Definitely I remember something about being easier to switch to their current gender than the reverse. I wouldn't be surprised if the base form created by the spell can get more visibly feminine or masculine depending on how Ted is feeling at the time of transformation and/or how much power they put into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

  13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I don't think people go up two or three cup sizes in, like, a week. Growth spurts aren't that dramatic.
    It's canon that large amounts of magical energy/frequent use of magic can result in people growing taller, more muscular, and Nanase even suggests that they're why she's gifted in that department.

    Tedd is literally a font of magical power and she's presumably been using her unique magical powers a lot now that she knows that she has them.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  14. - Top - End - #644
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Right behind you

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    I'm calling it: Diane, perhaps for just a moment, initially saw male Tedd reflected in the mirror and that's what confused her. The "it....really" from the last comic could also refer to that, as in "wait, that's you unenchanted?"

    And yes, Ted's reflection definitely seems slightly bustier than usual, though it could just be a quirk due to the angle at which the reflection was drawn.

  15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    I'm calling it: Diane, perhaps for just a moment, initially saw male Tedd reflected in the mirror and that's what confused her. The "it....really" from the last comic could also refer to that, as in "wait, that's you unenchanted?"

    And yes, Ted's reflection definitely seems slightly bustier than usual, though it could just be a quirk due to the angle at which the reflection was drawn.
    I highly doubt Diane saw male Tedd. The exposition we were just given is that the mirror reflects without enchantments, and Tedd's spell is explicitly not an enchantment, a fact that was also restated when Dan specifically showed us female Tedd in the mirror.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Maybe she saw bigger boobs in the mirror and she's like "whaaa" but doesn't know how to breach the subject.

    Or maybe the reflection looked oddly familiar. She was in a party where everyone turned into Nanase, and Nanase is a relative of Ted's.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful ó but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Seems fairly clear to me that Diane's figured out Tedd was AMAB (Tedd did call herself "the son of someone in power" while sitting next to Diane, when talking about getting her lab, plus the name thing) and magicked to be currently feminine, but since she's unaware of the distinction between enchantments and other kinds of magic, is confused. And trying to hide it, and subconsciously casting a spell of unknown effect to clean up her delivery for the excuse (something to do with convincingness, confidence, and/or poise, though it's *probably* not straight-up mind control going by extremely vague hints Dan's said on the Discord).
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    This is the first indication of Diane using this spell, or any spell, right?
    Anyone recall if she spoke with that type of text-font before?

  19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    This is the first indication of Diane using this spell, or any spell, right?
    Anyone recall if she spoke with that type of text-font before?
    No, she's done it a few times before. Most notably, when she was announcing to the school that she's a virgin.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    This is the first indication of Diane using this spell, or any spell, right?
    Anyone recall if she spoke with that type of text-font before?
    Quite a few times. First occurrence was immediately after she jumped on the table in the cafeteria. That would also be when Jay saw and learned it, as we've seen her use it twice (and Diane as well) when she delivered pizza at the party.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2020-10-23 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  21. - Top - End - #651
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    I think Diane noticed that Tedd has pointed ears in the mirror (or maybe it was an art goof? The lines for Tedd's ears look to angular to me). I'm also wondering if she noticed something similar about herself in said mirror.

  22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganonphile View Post
    I think Diane noticed that Tedd has pointed ears in the mirror (or maybe it was an art goof? The lines for Tedd's ears look to angular to me). I'm also wondering if she noticed something similar about herself in said mirror.
    I think that's just you. Tedd's ears don't look pointy to me.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    This is the first indication of Diane using this spell, or any spell, right?
    Anyone recall if she spoke with that type of text-font before?
    In addition to what others have said, we've seen Pandora speaking with a similar change in font

    As well as other Fonts

    At the time I thought it was artistic license to emphasize the emotions Pandora was feeling as she said those things, but now I'm wondering if Pandora doesn't have a "add an emotion manipulating compulsion to my words" spell that she consciously or unconsciously uses when saying certain things

    Different font, different emotions: Fancy Font seems to be paying attention/believing, while scary font seems to be inspiring fear/awe.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  24. - Top - End - #654
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Windscion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    ... since she's unaware of the distinction between enchantments and other kinds of magic, is confused.
    Not sure this is an enchantment vs other-school-of-magic issue so much as (permanent) changes to default form don't count as magic, per se. That nitpick aside, 100% agree with your analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25
    They carry their spears in their hearts!
    Because some adventurers left them there.

  25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Not sure this is an enchantment vs other-school-of-magic issue so much as (permanent) changes to default form don't count as magic, per se. That nitpick aside, 100% agree with your analysis.
    The mirror is showing people without enchantments.

    While Tedd's spell can be used as an enchantment, using it to change her sex to match her current Gender identity is not an enchantment.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Am I forgetting something about Diane that would explain the "big deal" panel? She's almost acting like she's the magic expert and Tedd's the rookie.

  27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Am I forgetting something about Diane that would explain the "big deal" panel? She's almost acting like she's the magic expert and Tedd's the rookie.
    Tedd thinks magic is generally awesome and wants as many people as possible to be able to use it. Diane is far more concerned about the potential for misuse than Tedd; she is only sort of ok with the concept of spreading magic by being reassured that most magic can be resisted or easily removed/reverted, so as long as spreading the knowledge of magic also comes with spreading the knowledge of how to resist it the potential for harm is minimized. She just found out that permanent non-magical transformations (non-magical in the sense that there is no ongoing enchantment to be resisted or dispelled) are possible. For her that's a huge blow to the concept that magic can be relatively safe to release to the world, because it means a bad actor can potentially apply unremovable changes to other people. (Remember Diane's first exposure to magic was seeing Tengu mentally and physically transform a bunch of her friends and her adoptive sister into being the seed of a cult via magically spiked punch - this significantly colors her opinion about letting the world at large have magic.)

  28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    That last bit is the context I was forgetting. I remembered the rest, but couldn't figure out why that in particular was freaking her out.

  29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Windscion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Am I forgetting something about Diane that would explain the "big deal" panel? She's almost acting like she's the magic expert and Tedd's the rookie.
    She's acting like she can see the problems with this and Tedd cannot. Which is not actually unreasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25
    They carry their spears in their hearts!
    Because some adventurers left them there.

  30. - Top - End - #660
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Right behind you

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Tedd can be a bit too idealistic about giving magic to the public: I imagine the discussions he and Diane could have on the subject would be quite interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •