New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

For the new readers, El Goonish Shive is a long-running plot-and-character-driven action-dramedy with elements of teen life, magical kung fu, gender-switching and all-around silly stuff happening. The art has also undergone a massive improvement since the beginning, so don't be too off put by the dramatic difference in quality at the start. It also shifts between "grey-scale" and colour.

Right now, Immortals granting weapon-grade magic to teens and awkward mall dates! Simultaneously!

Previous threads:
    El Goonish Shive (2009)
    El Goonish Shive (2010)
    El Goonish Shive (2011-2012)
    El Goonish Shive (2013 -2014)
    El Goonish Shive (2015 -2017)
    El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic
    El Goonish ShIVe - Dammit Dan, Stop Teasing Us
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2019-03-12 at 11:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Should add a link to the last thread too.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking forward to seeing which questions were picked for the FAQ.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder how much Susan actually uses her magic. I mean, she seems to have the Fairy Summon spell up often, but maybe that doesn't use too much when it's actually active.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

*Chuckles* The lawyer playing a wizard. Yep, Dan knows DnD.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I wonder how much Susan actually uses her magic. I mean, she seems to have the Fairy Summon spell up often, but maybe that doesn't use too much when it's actually active.
    Sometimes, these characters confuse me. If I had magic, I'd literally use it all the time. Yet, they all seem so hesitant to use it.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Sometimes, these characters confuse me. If I had magic, I'd literally use it all the time. Yet, they all seem so hesitant to use it.
    Well Susan's magic kind of came with emotional baggage attached. There is also the fact that they aren't suppose to openly use their magic in public to keep how easy it is to get magic a secret.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Well Susan's magic kind of came with emotional baggage attached. There is also the fact that they aren't suppose to openly use their magic in public to keep how easy it is to get magic a secret.
    Clearly, she's not good at compartmentalizing her mind. I'd have no trouble using magic regardless of how I got it. Even if the event was horrible and traumatic, I'd still consider the magic part a silver lining.

And sure, it can't be used in public, but I can still use it at home. My apartment would be magic central.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed

Clearly, she's not good at compartmentalizing her mind. I'd have no trouble using magic regardless of how I got it. Even if the event was horrible and traumatic, I'd still consider the magic part a silver lining.

And sure, it can't be used in public, but I can still use it at home. My apartment would be magic central.
    And agreed. It wouldn't just be using the spell as written either. I'd actively try to push the boundaries of each spell. If the spellbook is too verbose or too little, then I will figure it out through experimentation.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed

And agreed. It wouldn't just be using the spell as written either. I'd actively try to push the boundaries of each spell. If the spellbook is too verbose or too little, then I will figure it out through experimentation.
    Yup. I never understand when these characters run into problems because they don't know how their magic works. I'd have that s*** figured out. I'd want to know exactly how my spells work and how far I can push them.

11. - Top - End - #11

I mean... Everybody keeps forgetting to RTFM.

If your super-powers literally comes with a manual that explains how they work... At least skim the freaking thing.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This is true- Ralph Hinkley's problem was he kept losing the super suit's manual, but EGS spellbooks are probably easier to find (and harder to lose).
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't forgetting to read the manual only Elliot's problem? I think I remember Ellen, Nanase and Susan being good at this.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Susan is also surprisingly bad at this.

Is it possible for Grace's heightened perception to be "purely visual" when she can tell the dice sides without looking at them, and also non-contact frisk Sam through a closed door? I assume Dan means they work as purely passive sensors, but maybe I'm misremembering how those scenes worked.

Or I guess whatever way she is passively getting the data if it is being processed as visual information it counts as visual?
    Last edited by RowenMorland; 2019-03-14 at 04:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Isn't forgetting to read the manual only Elliot's problem? I think I remember Ellen, Nanase and Susan being good at this.
    He was the big one, but the only person who has never been stated as having a problem keeping up with the spellbook has been Nanase.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

He was the big one, but the only person who has never been stated as having a problem keeping up with the spellbook has been Nanase.
    Yes, but it has also been explained as an issue with the language of the book. It seems to be a cross between legalese and over-detailed minutia. There are some people who read the terms and conditions (heck, one made the news this week), but they aren't common. Most people just figure "eh, I'm sure I can figure it out on my own", and they can figure out enough that the feel they don't need to refer to the manual... and thus, a lot of other things are missed.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-14 at 09:08 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, but it has also been explained as an issue with the language of the book. It seems to be a cross between legalese and over-detailed minutia. There are some people who read the terms and conditions (heck, one made the news this week), but they aren't common. Most people just figure "eh, I'm sure I can figure it out on my own", and they can figure out enough that the feel they don't need to refer to the manual... and thus, a lot of other things are missed.

Grey Wolf
    Yeah, except that they never bothered with that " figuring it out" part and just kinda ignored the fact that they had magic. And no matter how confusing the descriptions are, they should still, at least, skim over their books to see when they get new spells, yet they never did that, either.

18. - Top - End - #18

The only person who has never forgotten to check her spellbook is Ellen.

Susan put it off because she assumed she'd just know when she got new spells, Elliot doesn't even try, and even Nanase was behind on it as of "Playing With Dolls"(She hadn't realized that her Fairy Doll spell had been upgraded so that she could go for outfits other than the bodysuit until Tedd explained it.)

Elliot is literally the only one who consistently has trouble figuring out his spells. They're hard to understand, but everyone else can figure it out.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, except that they never bothered with that " figuring it out" part and just kinda ignored the fact that they had magic.
    No, they did not. They all had spells, which they used regularly. They just weren't aware of variations of those spells and in Susan's case, new ones.

And no matter how confusing the descriptions are, they should still, at least, skim over their books to see when they get new spells, yet they never did that, either.
    How often do you skim the terms and conditions to see if they have added a new clause?

You seem to be assuming that each spell gets its own indexed chapter or something. I don't see a reason to assume that, or that it is obvious enough that there is new spells that a simple skim will discover it.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

20. - Top - End - #20

I'd like to point out that the spell-books gain and loose pages(as in, literally change the number of physical pages in the book) as ones spells improve and change and that the spell books glow when you level up or get a new spell.

Checking on the book to see if ti changed size every couple of day or after a particularly magic heavy day should be more than enough to know if something changed. Then you check the last pages to see if some stuff has been added. If no new spells, skim through the old ones to see the upgrades.

And Grey_Wolf?

Superpowers are not a computer.

They are not a microwave.

they are not a TV.

If I have gained the power of unaided flight. And this power comes with a manual... It would be stupid of me not to read the manual in order to get the greatest possible understanding of how my powers of flight work before practice: If I don't know how to turn or accelerate, then I could get injured.

If I discover that I can emit streams of fire from my fingertips, I should read the manual to make sure I know what causes it less I accidentally burn down a building.

If Mutant Super Powers came with a manual, you'd better believe that ol' Charley X would be demanding that his students read and memorize said manuals.

And for what feels like the hundredth time: Everyone in-universe states that Elliot was being stupid for not making the effort to keep up with his spellbook.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'd like to point out that the spell-books gain and loose pages(as in, literally change the number of physical pages in the book) as ones spells improve and change and that the spell books glow when you level up or get a new spell.

Checking on the book to see if ti changed size every couple of day or after a particularly magic heavy day should be more than enough to know if something changed. Then you check the last pages to see if some stuff has been added. If no new spells, skim through the old ones to see the upgrades.
    And after ten of those times when you were confronted with unintelligible minutia that didn't change anything except minor, minor improvements (oh, wow, twenty pages on how to select the exact pattern of polka dots I can now select for my hair colour change! Oh, and an further 35 pages on how to change individual hairs of my back! Wow, that was productive!), most people would give up.

And Grey_Wolf?

Superpowers are not a computer.

They are not a microwave.

they are not a TV.

If I have gained the power of unaided flight. And this power comes with a manual... It would be stupid of me not to read the manual in order to get the greatest possible understanding of how my powers of flight work before practice: If I don't know how to turn or accelerate, then I could get injured.

If I discover that I can emit streams of fire from my fingertips, I should read the manual to make sure I know what causes it less I accidentally burn down a building.

If Mutant Super Powers came with a manual, you'd better believe that ol' Charley X would be demanding that his students read and memorize said manuals.
    Good for you. But you are not the universal measure of mankind. Most people that after getting the spell can fly without reading all that, and have been fine, will continue to fly the way they did the first time. If they have an issue they want improved, they might -MIGHT- check, then be confronted with unintelligible minutia, and give up.

Yes, they aren't computers. Computers are significantly more useful, powerful and dangerous. And yet 99% of people with computers don't know how to fully use them. They just use them to read their mail and check websites.

And for what feels like the hundredth time: Everyone in-universe states that Elliot was being stupid for not making the effort to keep up with his spellbook.
    And for what feels like a hundredth time: Elliot had a specific problem of unwanted transformations that would have been helped by him reading the manual. Susan didn't have a problem, wasn't intending to gain spells, and made reasonable if incorrect assumptions about the damn thing. There is nothing universally stupid about not keeping up with the manual if you already have the powers that you want.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-14 at 11:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, they did not. They all had spells, which they used regularly. They just weren't aware of variations of those spells and in Susan's case, new ones.

How often do you skim the terms and conditions to see if they have added a new clause?

You seem to be assuming that each spell gets its own indexed chapter or something. I don't see a reason to assume that, or that it is obvious enough that there is new spells that a simple skim will discover it.

Grey Wolf
    A better question is how much do I try and push the functionality of something new? Which is complicated because I don't want to break my new thing. Which doesn't apply to magic. I don't have a problem with the characters struggling with the spellbooks. I can't comprehend why they don't figure out stuff anyways just by playing with their magic. Using it actively makes you better at it. And because the spells reflect who you are, you'll likely enjoy the spells in some way as well.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

A better question is how much do I try and push the functionality of something new? Which is complicated because I don't want to break my new thing. Which doesn't apply to magic. I don't have a problem with the characters struggling with the spellbooks. I can't comprehend why they don't figure out stuff anyways just by playing with their magic. Using it actively makes you better at it. And because the spells reflect who you are, you'll likely enjoy the spells in some way as well.
    It might be explained pretty easily: everyone has finite ammount of time to do things. If you do one thing, you have less time for other things. So they pursue some other interests instead of magic. I know it sounds kind of absurd for us, but for most of the cast magic is just something that is there and pretty much only Sarah and Tedd express any particular interest in studying it.

Even if magic is not widespread, they themselves have constant access to it and the novelty wears of pretty quickly as with anything else. Fairly recently I got to experience that with the white nights in the far north - for a few first days it was something amazing, but later on it was just "meh, I sleep through it anyway".
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't seem that unrealistic to me that they would be less than diligent with their self-improvement or manual reading. Especially when they need to hide their magic. The manual is mostly useless, except for warning people about new spells and a vague idea about what it does. Sure they could do testing, but with the limits of secrecy and all they probably can't get more than a general idea. Yes, they should exercise their magic and cardiovascular systems regularly, but who does that? Not most people in America!

Also realistically (and in comic!) the response would not be uniform. Some people would not check their spell book. Some people would check it more regularly. Some people would just try to live a normal life despite having vampire slaying powers (a reasonable choice actually), while some people would establish a magical work out routine to try and farm for new spells. We've seen these responses in the comic.

P.S. I'm not sure if Susan really had all the details explained to her when she got magic.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

This one was pretty good. Both Diane and Sarah took offense to (almost) the exact same comment, even if the context was opposite.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

It's a little unclear if the latest comic means that the act of changing your name is what would cause you to get new spells, or if the underlying desire that leads to changing your name also happens to affect new spells.

27. - Top - End - #27

Is it? I thought it was unambiguously the latter.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo360 View Post
    It's a little unclear if the latest comic means that the act of changing your name is what would cause you to get new spells, or if the underlying desire that leads to changing your name also happens to affect new spells.
    Based on "If someone wants a spell so badly that..." [emphasis added], I would reckon it's the underlying desire. While the act of changing the name is an example of that desire, I think the Q&A is saying that such an extreme act would reflect a desire extreme enough to shape the sort of spells one would get.

However, I can see it having a cyclical effect or a feedback loop. If you do change your name, your actions and identity are probably aligning more strongly with said name and what it reflects. The very act of using that name reinforces the underlying desire. Thus, more likely to get the spells. Not because of changing your name, but because the act reinforces and perhaps strengthen the desire that yields the spell.

I think it could be similar with how Nanase was getting more hiding spells, during a time when her actions were reflecting her desire to hide. The actions weren't causing the desire, but they did sorta reinforce it.

On a personal note, this made me think of how I took a new name at one point in my life. I go by both in different settings, mainly since it's hard to get family to start calling you by something new and I was professionally established under the old name, but the use of the new one has certain connotations and emotional reinforcement with it, which helps reinforce and remind me the reasons associated with taking the new name. I can see a similar relationship with how the metaphysics of receiving spells works in EGS.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-04-10 at 02:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

To what shall I compare this page? I'll unfavourably compare this page to the video for Uptown Girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I think it's almost 100% certain whoever the target is not someone cliche dude-jerks like those would want to hit on (e.g., not a non-trans woman), so I think the main point of speculation is who it is. (Though I guess it being a modified-Ashley and her wrecking transformative vengeance is an option. Could be Grace, but seems unlikely as she'd probably respond in a non-hostile way.)

Though the semi-goth arm-sleeve does have the look of Ashley or her friend. I'd be surprised if Ashley's friend's spell was to transform like that, though.

My guesses
    1) Tedd as a woman
    2) Elliot transformed (mix of goth and party form?)
    3) Pandora manifested corporeally
    4) a new character who is some sort of magic-user