New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

I really love the dynamic of the "snooty b*tch turned nice" archetype, especially if they keep some of that edge instead of just becoming "generic nice girl." It's why Weiss is my favorite character in RWBY. As such, I am a big fan of Diane, especially since she's now studying the Sapphic arts with Lucy.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2019-10-11 at 12:12 PM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Reading the page before this one, I thought people were saying "yes" just because of how pushy Grace was consciously being.

And that brought me to think about how ugly a slope that could be. Grace is very smart and receptive, and immensely strong. She could gain leverage over anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don’t see why Tedd can’t stay female. Neither being trans or magical would be that big a deal.
    LGBTitp

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

Tedd may, in fact, be rather self-conscious about her genderfluidity and maybe doesn't want to draw attention to it around people she doesn't know.

I doubt that Tedd has confronted Mr. Verres on his expressed opinions about Tedd's gender-bending—I remain convinced that Edward's response well be a relief that Tedd's regular sex-swapping has a valid reason instead of just being sexual deviancy, considering that Edward has yet to show any bias towards LGBT individuals, his job more or less requires him to have an open mind, and he's apparently romantically involved with a sexless extraterrestrial being that presents as female and uses the same kind of magic as Tedd to pass—but I doubt that Tedd will be in any way comfortable being "out" about it around people she doesn't know well until she's out about it to her Dad and that conflict is resolved.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Re NP: hey, Susan x Elliot material, it’s been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I doubt that Tedd has confronted Mr. Verres on his expressed opinions about Tedd's gender-bending.
    Indeed, no way Dan makes that conversation happen off-panel.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Tedd may, in fact, be rather self-conscious about her genderfluidity and maybe doesn't want to draw attention to it around people she doesn't know.
    [...]
    ... but I doubt that Tedd will be in any way comfortable being "out" about it around people she doesn't know well until she's out about it to her Dad and that conflict is resolved.
    Mhmm. On top of all this, Tedd is accustomed to being teased/bullied at school for being 'girly'; Diane doesn't go to the same school, but her reputation is very much that of a stereotypical popular girl, and it seems likely that Tedd is particularly nervous because she associates Diane with that environment.

Spoiler: Today's comic
    Show
    This is also part of why Elliot is the first to notice and act on that anxiety, I think. He was there, he's seen all this. Grace knows Tedd pretty well in general, but they've never gone to school together; this is sort of blindsiding her.

(Plus she's pretty preoccupied enough with her own feelings re: new friends she doesn't have to keep secrets from)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #277

Looking at the NP comic, I find myself wondering if Susan has OCD.

Her distaste for physical contact seems to have completely reversed itself when she got a guarantee of ongoing cleanliness.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

Her distaste for physical contact seems to have completely reversed itself when she got a guarantee of ongoing cleanliness.
    Not sure if I would call it OCD, but I am no psychologist. Whatever the reason, it is only naural that with the negative traits of physical contact are removed, she can embrace the positive. Even more so due to the problems she has with it in real life, because underneath the phobia she has most likely regular needs and so on.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

Not OCD, no. An important part of it is the C, the compulsion. She has an aversion, not a compulsion. Those are exact opposites.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Not OCD, no. An important part of it is the C, the compulsion. She has an aversion, not a compulsion. Those are exact opposites.
    You could argue that since she obsessively cleans things people have touched it would count as a compulsion. I mean, she shook Tensaided's hand without hesitation, she just immediately put on hand sanitizer right afterwards.

Mind you, she has an aversion as well. Though I feel like the physical contact thing goes deeper than just her germ issues.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

I doubt that Tedd has confronted Mr. Verres on his expressed opinions about Tedd's gender-bending—I remain convinced that Edward's response well be a relief that Tedd's regular sex-swapping has a valid reason instead of just being sexual deviancy, considering that Edward has yet to show any bias towards LGBT individuals, his job more or less requires him to have an open mind, and he's apparently romantically involved with a sexless extraterrestrial being that presents as female and uses the same kind of magic as Tedd to pass—but I doubt that Tedd will be in any way comfortable being "out" about it around people she doesn't know well until she's out about it to her Dad and that conflict is resolved.
    I'd honestly prefer it if this didn't happen. Parents in media tend far too heavily into either the "excellent parent and totally accepting" or the "absolutely terrible parent and completely unaccepting" groups. Having Tedd's dad be the "Otherwise superb parent that has a lot of trouble dealing with this idea" type is a much more nuanced take.

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Not sure if I would call it OCD, but I am no psychologist. Whatever the reason, it is only naural that with the negative traits of physical contact are removed, she can embrace the positive. Even more so due to the problems she has with it in real life, because underneath the phobia she has most likely regular needs and so on.
    Remember that when she spent an evening male, most of her physical-contact hangups disappeared while she directly stated (to herself) that the rest of her mind was pretty normal. That suggests that she's got more than just germaphobia messing with her.

12. - Top - End - #282

Tedd's father is apparently romantically involved with a sexless alien using magitech to appear female.

It'd be weird if he had a problem with Tedd being genderfluid.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Tedd's father is apparently romantically involved with a sexless alien using magitech to appear female.

It'd be weird if he had a problem with Tedd being genderfluid.
    can you link the canonical comic for that? because I know there is a sketchbook comic where they date, but I can't remember any that says in the actual story that they do.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    can you link the canonical comic for that? because I know there is a sketchbook comic where they date, but I can't remember any that says in the actual story that they do.
    The reason they are having this party is because Tedd father is currently on a date with his secretary right now.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    The reason they are having this party is because Tedd father is currently on a date with his secretary right now.
    Oh.

good point then.

but let me make one of my own: she has been like, female presenting for who knows how long to get his attention. like he probably knows intellectually, but it might be different with her because if she so focused on him specifically, she probably isn't shapeshifting back into anything else to keep appealing to him. which is probably different, because said secretary is probably completely prepared to remain as she is forever if she is that interested. there is a different dynamic going on, because the secretary was the one who loved him first therefore she is the one actively changing herself to appeal to him, when he was unaware at first, which implies she had to be the one to make the first move.

so the difference is between someone who is consistently probably changing themselves in little ways to fit his preferences and someone who he thought he knew is switching back and forth at intervals that seem random. that and there is the whole single father thing where he probably isn't all that sure how to raise Tedd by himself entirely, and he probably worries for Tedd like any parent, and if he has been bullied before I can see Tedd's father being worried that him embracing his identity will just bring on more of that, as well as draw unnecessary magical-caring attention, especially considering that Tedd's experiments have done things like create Ellen and somehow attract Grace who is basically cute squirrel Perfect Cell, I don't know, there is a lot going on here and Mr. Verres being in a secret organization knows a lot of things we and Tedd don't, there could be secret spy concerns going on that tilt his view.

but yeah, he probably will be okay with Tedd if not now, then soon. I'm just breaking down how the relationships aren't equivalent.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #286
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ashley, it's quite simple: You are a pervert and everyone knows it. And that's okay. Also, everyone else are also perverts, if in different ways. This particular bunch happens to be perverts in pretty similar ways to the way you are. Things would be so much simpler if they were some 5-10 years older and did luck out to go for the "stop giving a ****" route about their own fetishes. And let's stop it there, because actual fetish discussion is not appropriate for GiantITP.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    so the difference is between someone who is consistently probably changing themselves in little ways to fit his preferences and someone who he thought he knew is switching back and forth at intervals that seem random. that and there is the whole single father thing where he probably isn't all that sure how to raise Tedd by himself entirely, and he probably worries for Tedd like any parent, and if he has been bullied before I can see Tedd's father being worried that him embracing his identity will just bring on more of that, as well as draw unnecessary magical-caring attention, especially considering that Tedd's experiments have done things like create Ellen and somehow attract Grace who is basically cute squirrel Perfect Cell, I don't know, there is a lot going on here and Mr. Verres being in a secret organization knows a lot of things we and Tedd don't, there could be secret spy concerns going on that tilt his view.
    It's also possible that Mr. Verres, like Tedd until very recently, hasn't thought much about gender identity issues and doesn't really understand them (relevant here: it's extremely unclear where in time the comic actually stands, if you matched a strict in-universe timeline from the initial publication date it would still be like 2005 or something, in which case this view would be extremely common). I suspect he views Tedd's self-transformations as a boy choosing to dress up as, rather than identify as, a girl, a sort of extremely hi-fidelity form of drag as it were. Now, disapproval of that still isn't cool, but it would be kind of weird if someone randomly dressed in drag while around the house, especially when choosing to perform traditionally female-associated activities, and I can totally see how a parent would fail to understand and react in a sort of vaguely disapproving way. As 'why do you always put on a costume to do your chores?'

If that's the case I can imagine Mr. Verres being much more understanding once someone actually explains to him what's happening with Tedd's identity. Honestly, he seems to be the type of person to be suspicious of anything he encounters when he can't figure out why it's happening.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2019-10-21 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typo removal
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    If that's the case I can imagine Mr. Verres being much more understanding once someone actually explains to him what's happening with Tedd's identity. Honestly, he seems to be the type of person to be suspicious of anything he encounters when he can't figure out why it's happening.
    Do you really think that Mr. Verres issues can be resolved with some exposition?

Wait.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Concerning Mr. Verres it might not be just some form of disapproval of Tedd's behaviour - he might also be simply worried about the issue for two main reasons:
    1. Tedd will have problems with society and is pretty fragile emotionally. He might be doing way better then before, but remember that outburst of panic, when Elliot mentioned breaking up with Sarah? Even if Tedd was currently strong enough to deal with it, Mr. Verres might still view him as he was just a short few years back.
    2. Mr. Verrres most likely has no idea how to deal with this situation. He probably has little knowledge of the subject and no personal experience to rely on. Being a parent very often means worrying that you will do something wrong and mess up the life of your children or simply that you will not be able to be there for them in time of need. Being a single parent amplifies all those problems.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think I have an idea concerning how Verres sees Tedd's habit of transforming into a woman.

He may simply see it as a way to escape reality, and be worried about what a refuse of reality can mean. He may not see it as Tedd trying to be himself, but, instead, as Tedd trying to be someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #291

Thought: Since Tedd is a living font of magical energy(presumably due to being a seer) do you think it'd be possible for the others to learn how to tap into her energy to fuel their spells?

Because we know from the end of the double date that Tedd wants to beb with the others when they fight and well, playing field support might be the only way to justify her going into the field short of copying the Cheerleadra spell.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

There may be proof that contradicts it, but I always thought Mr Verres was disturbed because he thought Tedd was turning into a woman for sexual reasons. It would make sense to be bothered by your child being sexual publicly.

I always figured he would be fine knowing that Tedd is genderfluid, but that Tedd is terrified due to misunderstandings.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Thought: Since Tedd is a living font of magical energy(presumably due to being a seer) do you think it'd be possible for the others to learn how to tap into her energy to fuel their spells?

Because we know from the end of the double date that Tedd wants to beb with the others when they fight and well, playing field support might be the only way to justify her going into the field short of copying the Cheerleadra spell.
    We know already Tedd built a gauntlet that can store his own energy and give it back on demand. It is not that much of a stretch to consider the possibility of charging other people up.

24. - Top - End - #294

So this party is gonna end up a pajama sleepover with hair brushing, isn't it?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Wednesday's comic makes me feel validated for what I suspected about why Ashley didn't accept the offer of holding the doll. I still wonder whether or not Nanase is aware of how seductive she seemed. I'm guessing 'not'.

26. - Top - End - #296

Yes, Ashley, you can be the skippy-dressed fairy.

You just need to Awaken and level up enough to cast that version of the fairy spell. You're a wizard, you've been told that you can copy spells.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Halfling in the Playground

You just need to Awaken and level up enough to cast that version of the fairy spell. You're a wizard, you've been told that you can copy spells.
    I'm sure Kevin will be thrilled.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Is Ashley Awakened, but with minimal power, or still Dreaming?

29. - Top - End - #299

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Is Ashley Awakened, but with minimal power, or still Dreaming?
    Arthur claims that she still needs to awaken.

Which is why I said she needs to awaken as one of the steps.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Arthur claims that she still needs to awaken.

Which is why I said she needs to awaken as one of the steps.
    Fair. I was remembering the magic flying around at the destruction of the diamond to have had an awakening effect (similar to Elliot), but that was all to the wand.