New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Two of those chopsticks could plausibly be in holes made previously to fasten hinges, but what about the other two?
    I think you can see Tedd make a hole here, hitting an oversized nail or screwdriver with a hammer (thwack thwack) followed by more delicately fitting the chopstick inside (tap tap tap).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dan says Tedd was using an awl. A drill would be better, if he had a bit that was just slightly smaller than the chopstick diameter.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Dan says Tedd was using an awl. A drill would be better, if he had a bit that was just slightly smaller than the chopstick diameter.
    Yeah, but presumably he hasn't got a drill? I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #754

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yeah, but presumably he hasn't got a drill? I guess?
    Maybe the mirror was out of range for an electric outlet.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Maybe the mirror was out of range for an electric outlet.
    Pretty much all electric drills have internal battery, so it should never be a problem. I do not think I have ever seen one without.

Maybe making a small hole with an awl was faster than bringing in the heavy power tools. After all, those chopsticks do not need to be fastened that hard as there will be no mechanical load on them.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #756

I bet it's actually that drawing a drill is more work than drawing a mallet.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

7. - Top - End - #757

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Pretty much all electric drills have internal battery, so it should never be a problem. I do not think I have ever seen one without.

Maybe making a small hole with an awl was faster than bringing in the heavy power tools. After all, those chopsticks do not need to be fastened that hard as there will be no mechanical load on them.
    It could also create less dirt. I don't think it makes any sawdust.

Do even corded drills get a battery nowadays? I guess it can be convenient.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It could also create less dirt. I don't think it makes any sawdust.

Do even corded drills get a battery nowadays? I guess it can be convenient.
    As a curiosity I looked around the selection in shops and this was actually the first time I noticed corded drills. I simply have never seen anyone (including professionals) using anything other than battery powered ones, but there are indeed corded drills without batteries available. Maybe they are useful in workshops, where you always use them in the same place for long hours? For typical house use though I do not see a reason not to go for a battery.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a corded drill at my job. It just stays in one area, so it doesn't really matter if it's not mobile. It's also probably 20-30 years old, so I don't know if battery drills were even a thing back then. Everything in this place is ancient. We have spools of wire from '92. The shipping docks are literally from the 50s.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I have a corded drill at my job. It just stays in one area, so it doesn't really matter if it's not mobile. It's also probably 20-30 years old, so I don't know if battery drills were even a thing back then. Everything in this place is ancient. We have spools of wire from '92. The shipping docks are literally from the 50s.
    If the tool does the job you need it for, don't replace it just because!

I second that it's because of the fact that a drill is way more difficult to draw.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Colossus in the Playground

You're right, Susan: This is not in the game.

Jay is probably going to be astounded when she meets Grace Celebrity. The question is whether she'll be smart enough to figure out that the differences, whether they're based on the real Grace or Susan's perception of same, are actual hints to what she's looking for.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    If the tool does the job you need it for, don't replace it just because!
    Heck, I'd say that for most applications, corded is likely a better, longer-lasting tool, if freedom of movement is not a requirement. Batteries tend to have a significantly shorter life than the tools they are attached to. I've gone through multiple electric toothbrushes, and what fails is never the mechanical mechanism that moves the head, for example, and it's not like I need to go for a walk while brushing my teeth (which I totally do because I can, but if it was corded, I'd be perfectly happy to stay in front of the sink). I've also similarly never really understood the purpose of making a computer mouse cordless. Under what scenario is it going to ever be so far from the computer that it couldn't just be plugged in constantly? Is it just the cool new toy factor? The supposed conspiracy of planned obsolescence? Bribes from the Duracell Bunny?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-11-29 at 01:42 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #763
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Heck, I'd say that for most applications, corded is likely a better, longer-lasting tool, if freedom of movement is not a requirement. Batteries tend to have a significantly shorter life than the tools they are attached to. I've gone through multiple electric toothbrushes, and what fails is never the mechanical mechanism that moves the head, for example, and it's not like I need to go for a walk while brushing my teeth (which I totally do because I can, but if it was corded, I'd be perfectly happy to stay in front of the sink). I've also similarly never really understood the purpose of making a computer mouse cordless. Under what scenario is it going to ever be so far from the computer that it couldn't just be plugged in constantly? Is it just the cool new toy factor? The supposed conspiracy of planned obsolescence? Bribes from the Duracell Bunny?

Grey Wolf
    The big one is removing the wire in and of itself, I think. Frees up some desk space behind the mouse and under the monitor, plus there's no chance of accidentally kicking the wire if it hangs down behind the desk.

Professional gamers use wired mice for latency's sake, though, so it seems there's a couple of downsides to going wireless.
    Last edited by CrypticUnhlpfl; 2020-11-29 at 02:06 AM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

When I use a mouse that has a wire, I can often feel the wire tugging as I move the mouse. It bothers me.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticUnhlpfl View Post
    The big one is removing the wire in and of itself, I think. Frees up some desk space behind the mouse and under the monitor, plus there's no chance of accidentally kicking the wire if it hangs down behind the desk.

Professional gamers use wired mice for latency's sake, though, so it seems there's a couple of downsides to going wireless.
    Yup, removing the wire is pretty much the entire point. With a stationary PC there are a lot of cables that get jumbled together behind it, but this is only a problem, when you need to change something in your rig. I mostly work on my laptop and lack of wire is a simple case of convenience as I have the receiver always pugged in, so I just pick the mouse, turn it on and it is ready to work. There is also a fact that cables are not exactly durable if you need to pack them up often, which was a real pain with my headphones for many years and is exactly the reason I went wireless with those as well. Mouse cables are not as thin as those for headphones, but they are still an unnecessary breakpoint. I have my wireless mouse for over 10 years and it still works. I doubt it would have been possible with a wired one.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Grey Wolf
    Yep. My work also has cordless drills that I use, and aside from the brand new one that was just bought a couple months ago, those batteries don't last very long, especially when you're doing serious drilling. Just last Wednesday, I was using a drill for about four hours and had to replace the battery twice.

@Maat: I agree with you there. The mouse cord does bother me sometimes.

17. - Top - End - #767

Ellen Page came out as trans and took the name Elliot. I couldn't help but think of EGS.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, I think Tedd has ... ideas ... about what the mirror may have been used for, based on the way he reacts to the idea of his mother using it. Yeah, we don't need to see what kinky forms she may have taken.
    Hopefully the pattern buffer is limited so that Justin's variety of forms renders this question moot.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    So, I think Tedd has ... ideas ... about what the mirror may have been used for, based on the way he reacts to the idea of his mother using it. Yeah, we don't need to see what kinky forms she may have taken.
    Hopefully the pattern buffer is limited so that Justin's variety of forms renders this question moot.
    I think Tedd just doesn't want to be reminded of her mother, in general. And so isn't keen on having her reflection replaced by hers. That'd be kind of an emotional punch and should that happened, she'd probably prefer to be alone (or alone with Grace), especially since she doesn't really know Diane yet.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-02 at 11:20 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Good job, Grace. Always ignore people who want you to wear a shirt.

21. - Top - End - #771

I'm more concerned with the evil seer bit. And here I thought he was just a conductor for the plot railroad.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Troll in the Playground

I'm more concerned with the evil seer bit. And here I thought he was just a conductor for the plot railroad.
    Well, if there are rails, someone had to put them in place to serve a specific purpose. I am actually curious about this little twist and even more so, what it might represent.

edit: not sure if it is warranted, but it reminds me a bit of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood situation or maybe Evangelion.
    Last edited by Radar; 2020-12-03 at 10:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Arthur is playing the role of Theresa who is probably evil. Though, I don't know if that's an intentional comparison on Dan's part or just a coincidence. The games don't spell it out clearly (probably because it's likely not the intention of the creators and just a result of poor writing), and I don't know how familiar he is with the games' fan theories.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

So, on that "don't think about it" page, whose reflection is that supposed to be? It kind of looks like both Grace and Nanase. The bit of inner dialog about turning into Nanase seems to point to her. And Grace has very pronounced hair bits in front of her ears that weren't in the reflection. But then Nanase also has hair bits in front of her ears that should have been visible.

And why is it called an "inner dialog" when you're the only person involved in it? Shouldn't it be an "inner monolog?"

Is that thing Ted's manipulating the door knob? Why is it so tiny?

Using the latchy thing as a button is clever, but having part of the controls on the side means you can't fully utilize the magic mirror with the door closed. And all the really fun uses for a device like that demand privacy.
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2020-12-03 at 02:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    [1] And why is it called an "inner dialog" when you're the only person involved in it? Shouldn't it be an "inner monolog?"
    [2] having part of the controls on the side means you can't fully utilize the magic mirror with the door closed.
    [1] An inner monolog is just called "thoughts." An inner dialog is between different aspects of yourself -- e.g., conscience vs desire.
    [2] I would assume a closet door, like you might find in a bedroom? Also, the inner knob on a closet door is sometimes quite small because it is rarely used, so it is the minimum size it can be.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2020-12-03 at 06:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Tedd's mindscape mom is about what you'd expect.

"Remember kids..." Wait are there kids reading this webcomic?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Tedd's mindscape mom is about what you'd expect.

"Remember kids..." Wait are there kids reading this webcomic?
    I was in middle school when I first started reading.

So, at some point there was at least one.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

I don't remember if I was in late middle-school or early high-school, but yeah. Definitely started this as a kid. Of course, the internet was a different shape back then, no idea whether kids are likely to be coming across this stuff these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see why kids wouldn't read this. It doesn't have much in the way of adult content. In fact, it's considerably more kid friendly than most webcomics. Even the one on this very site is more adult due to the frequent violence.

30. - Top - End - #780

I think it's very pensive for kids. Until Painted Black, it was very animey and I can see this part as 11+, but later it got very slow, meandering, and focused on not-so-exalting challenges (like the uniforms).