New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I think it's very pensive for kids. Until Painted Black, it was very animey and I can see this part as 11+, but later it got very slow, meandering, and focused on not-so-exalting challenges (like the uniforms).
    Yeah, you'd have to change a few things to make it work as a kids show. it doesn't have well defined enough plots to keep peoples attention because its way too focused on explaining this or that or exploring a characters whatever, its too slow and thoughtful, but I can see an EGS show being something like Steven Universe or new She-Ra as long as you can define arcs and problems for them to have some drama over, instead of the webcomic's style where its very low drama because Dan has made his writing too sensible.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah, you'd have to change a few things to make it work as a kids show. it doesn't have well defined enough plots to keep peoples attention because its way too focused on explaining this or that or exploring a characters whatever, its too slow and thoughtful, but I can see an EGS show being something like Steven Universe or new She-Ra as long as you can define arcs and problems for them to have some drama over, instead of the webcomic's style where its very low drama because Dan has made his writing too sensible.
    This is just a difference in medium. Dan's slow writing style doesn't negatively impact the already slow webcomic medium. As long as each page has individual merit as entertainment, the comic is fine, no matter how long it takes to get to the point. Comparing it to a TV show (or Netflix series) is like apples and oranges.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #783
    Colossus in the Playground

Would it be sappy for me to say that reading EGS when I was younger probably made me a better person?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Dan's slow writing style doesn't negatively impact the already slow webcomic medium. As long as each page has individual merit as entertainment, the comic is fine, no matter how long it takes to get to the point.
    I disagree on this. First, I don't think each page has individual merit (a page not too long ago was just people swapping places), and, second, if every page had more individual merit, it would be a better experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Would it be sappy for me to say that reading EGS when I was younger probably made me a better person?

I think it's actually very possible. EGS deals with many kinds of people going through a hard time, many of them belonging to minorities you might not have met before, treated as people rather than checkboxes, and with an attention towards depicting their everyday feelings and experience rather than a militant "us against our enemies" attitude.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-12-06 at 06:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I disagree on this. First, I don't think each page has individual merit (a page not too long ago was just people swapping places), and, second, if every page had more individual merit, it would be a better experience.
    Well, if you don't like it, you don't have to read it.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Barbarian in the Playground

So the mirror door basically uses a cell phone UI.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    So the mirror door basically uses a cell phone UI.
    Frustratingly imprecise and making one wish that more than three physical buttons were included on the device?

...Sounds about right for this comic, actually.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Pixie in the Playground

Double-posting, if people don't mind...

Honestly if I had a dollar for every game that gave you a choice of endings where it's obvious the player could have done something better than any of them, I'd be very wealthy indeed. A lot of people are going to think of Mass Effect here, but I'll go for Deus Ex instead. Both the new one and the original.

As far as the new main comic goes? Clearly Shive is either psyching us out or letting go of another one of the little brakes he puts on his characters. It will be interesting to see which it winds up being.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticUnhlpfl View Post
    Double-posting, if people don't mind...

Honestly if I had a dollar for every game that gave you a choice of endings where it's obvious the player could have done something better than any of them, I'd be very wealthy indeed. A lot of people are going to think of Mass Effect here, but I'll go for Deus Ex instead. Both the new one and the original.

As far as the new main comic goes? Clearly Shive is either psyching us out or letting go of another one of the little brakes he puts on his characters. It will be interesting to see which it winds up being.
    Yeah, all three endings to Fable 2 just kinda sucked. The "good" ending has you resurrecting all the people killed during the construction of the macguffin tower, which changes precisely nothing about the game world, itself. You do get a statue in Bowerstone Old Town, though. So that's...something. Only pick this ending to get the achievement.

The "evil" ending gives you a free million gold. Now, that is a lot of hold, but it's still worthless. You probably already had three mil in your pocket from your landowning business. Plus, it's literally the end of the game. There's nothing left to buy. Only pick this ending to get the achievement.

Finally, the "neutral" ending resurrects your sister and dog who were both killed by the bad guy. (I have no idea why "resurrect everyone killed by the villain" didn't bring them back, but whatever.) Reviving your sister is irrelevant because you never see her if you do, but the dog has an actual mechanical purpose in the game, a purpose that is required for at least two exclusively post-game side quests. This is literallythe only ending worth picking. Of course, if you got the Knothole Island DLC, you can actually bring the dog back for free without picking this ending, making the sole worthwhile ending also worthless.

On the whole, it was all just garbage.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

I thought you could only buy Fairfax castle after the game ended, but it's been ages since I played any but the first Fable, so I may be wrong.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I thought you could only buy Fairfax castle after the game ended, but it's been ages since I played any but the first Fable, so I may be wrong.
    Yeah, and it costs a million gold. Which you probably have anyway.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #792
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Yeah, and it costs a million gold. Which you probably have anyway.
    I've honestly never been able to decide if that's a deliberate theme of the Fable games. Something like... crime pays, but there are easier and less harmful ways to get the same result if you're even just slightly creative.

Fable 3 especially, what with all the (attempts at) moral choices at the end of the game.

13. - Top - End - #793

I think Jay recoiled from the idea of believing that the seer is not evil due to concluding that if he is evil in this simulation, that's Grace's opinion of him, and her goals here would not be well served by taking a contrary position to Grace.

14. - Top - End - #794

He put her in manacles. This is not usually the action of a good person, and Jack/Jay/Jill isn't going to forget that until she has a reason to reevaluate.
    The easiest people to fool are people who (i) think they are smarter than you, and (ii) think they are smarter than they actually are. Her quick recovery suggests decent horse sense.

15. - Top - End - #795

Grace hates hiding things about herself.

Arthur's job is to hide those things.

Grace has had worries about Arthur would cancel Tedd's lab because she confided in a close friend her secrets.

Edward, who Grace sees as a father figure, has said that Arthur can't be trusted.

Grace has empathetic senses: I don't recall if she's ever met Arthur in person, but if she has... Arthur is a bad person.

He's jingoistic, but only when it benefits him or his goals and goes against the sated ideals of his country when they're inconvenient. He made the unilateral decision to strip away the magical powers of literally everyone in the world without consulting anyone and was willing to let people die and open expose the existence of magic to do so when his job is to prevent both of the things from happening, and he's a hypocrite: He wants to hunt down Magus for making a young girl cry when he himself would have been willing to do nothing and let people die in pursuit of his own goals, making him, in fact, a much worse person than Magus based on the limited information he possesses.

H is, for now, an ally of the protagonists... But that could change in a heartbeat and I figure that everyone in the main cast knows it.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

You can be a good guy and still put people in manacles. You just have to limit yourself to putting bad guys in manacles.

And Jay might be an evil wizard who deliberately trapped a bunch of people in a nightmare she crafted for the purpose of spying on their innermost thoughts and desires.

Rhoda's definitely a good guy though. There's no excuse for cuffing her.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    You can be a good guy and still put people in manacles. You just have to limit yourself to putting bad guys in manacles.

And Jay might be an evil wizard who deliberately trapped a bunch of people in a nightmare she crafted for the purpose of spying on their innermost thoughts and desires.

Rhoda's definitely a good guy though. There's no excuse for cuffing her.
    Part of the mystery of the situation is the fact that Jay believes she would never do such a thing, even if she had a spell for it, which she believes she doesn't.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Elliot is every Undertale player in this latest comic.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I've thought, ever since Elliot's freakout about what job he'd possibly do after high school / what to study in college, that him being a magic cop in whatever-bureau Tedd's dad works in would make sense. I can definitely see it not being obvious to him, but he's a by-the-books kinda person who respects law and authority, and he's definitely got the toughness and magic for it.

On the other hand, he's so Good (in certain cliche ways) that I see him having trouble being a good operative in a general sense. Like, I reckon his boss would to a degree be a handler sending him to particular jobs and keeping him ignorant of others. I wonder to a degree if the reason Dan had him learn about police violence was to give him a reason IC not to be a magic cop in the future.

On a 'third' hand, I wonder how being a monster slayer pays. Monsters (in the sense of Not-Tengu human-monsters or Abominations) probably amass a lot of wealth, so slaying them and keeping their stuff seems a good career move if Elliot becomes pragmatic enough to kill but not so pragmatic he wants to be a government operative. (I don't see Elliot-as-killer in Dan's comic, though. Like, I could see him potentially killing someone at some point and feeling horrible about it as a dramatic arc, but not becoming okay with even slaying Abominations. Well, maybe Abominations, but not more human-ish 'monsters'.)

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I've thought, ever since Elliot's freakout about what job he'd possibly do after high school / what to study in college, that him being a magic cop in whatever-bureau Tedd's dad works in would make sense. I can definitely see it not being obvious to him, but he's a by-the-books kinda person who respects law and authority, and he's definitely got the toughness and magic for it.

On the other hand, he's so Good (in certain cliche ways) that I see him having trouble being a good operative in a general sense. Like, I reckon his boss would to a degree be a handler sending him to particular jobs and keeping him ignorant of others. I wonder to a degree if the reason Dan had him learn about police violence was to give him a reason IC not to be a magic cop in the future.
    He's very benevolent but he's not dumb, either. He probably could end up accpeting some "for the greater good" type things. In fact he's exactly the kind of person you want to be making these kind of calculations, the kind who don't settle for anything other than the absolutely lesser evil. Psychological councelling would be required though.

On a 'third' hand, I wonder how being a monster slayer pays. Monsters (in the sense of Not-Tengu human-monsters or Abominations) probably amass a lot of wealth, so slaying them and keeping their stuff seems a good career move if Elliot becomes pragmatic enough to kill but not so pragmatic he wants to be a government operative. (I don't see Elliot-as-killer in Dan's comic, though. Like, I could see him potentially killing someone at some point and feeling horrible about it as a dramatic arc, but not becoming okay with even slaying Abominations. Well, maybe Abominations, but not more human-ish 'monsters'.)
    Of all the aberrations (plus not-Tengu) only Sirleck seemed to have any wealth, in fact, that he was counting on the profite motive to keep his gang in check indicates that the others were relatively short on cash. Which makes sense, being good at killing people and being good at earning money aren't related.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

21. - Top - End - #801

Yeah, Sirleck was able to hide in plain sight, as it were. Not all abberations seem to have been able to do that very well, which would have made it harder to amass wealth.
    Well, I'm assuming Spider, Snake and Centaur didn't have perfectly human morphs.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2020-12-15 at 03:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Part of the mystery of the situation is the fact that Jay believes she would never do such a thing, even if she had a spell for it, which she believes she doesn't.
    Dan also confirmed in the commentary that the backstory stuff we're learning about Jay is canon even if this story/dream itself is not. (Which... I really, really dislike in a narrative sense, as where Jay stood in position to the main cast was an interesting question. To already know essentially that's she's a basically good but magic-seeking wizard is disappointing.) So the exact spells she has might not be canon, but that she's essentially 'good' or neutral enough to avoid doing such seems established.

Yeah, Sirleck was able to hide in plain sight, as it were. Not all abberations seem to have been able to do that very well, which would have made it harder to amass wealth.
    Well, I'm assuming Spider, Snake and Centaur didn't have perfectly human morphs.
    Good points. I took the fact that they were accepting mercenary work as meaning that they seek money and, as there is some way to contact them, probably have made money in the past and have a way to maintain it. But that is an assumption I was making that isn't established.

Also, as we know being an Aberration isn't linked to being a spellcaster (right? At least, not a wizard), it's reasonable several wouldn't have human forms without a spell that grants it.
    Did canon ever establish if someone can Awaken after becoming an aberration? For some reason, the metaphysics of "can be a wizard/awakened then turn aberration, but can't do it once you're no longer human" makes sense to me.

On that note, an aberration-seer who can make a wand to let people become aberrations just occurred to me. I doubt we'd see it, with the author's sensibilities, but it seems something potentially possible given the metaphysics (especially now with restrictions lifted.)

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

Spider may not but Snake and Centaur were at the mall right? Then they would need to have a human morph. In fact it seems likely that most* abberations have the ability to turn back into their original form as part of the package.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Good points. I took the fact that they were accepting mercenary work as meaning that they seek money and, as there is some way to contact them, probably have made money in the past and have a way to maintain it. But that is an assumption I was making that isn't established.
    It makes sense. However, abberations are most likely constantly trying to evade the police and unlikely to work together because of the whole "no empathy" deal. So how their mercenary network would work is anyone's guess.

Also, as we know being an Aberration isn't linked to being a spellcaster (right? At least, not a wizard)
    We know that Gullet being both an aberration and a wizard was unusual. However, becoming an abberation has to be somenkind of magical effect and given how magic works the only ways to have access to it would be to awaken and be the kind of person who wants to turn into a vampire.

On that note, an aberration-seer who can make a wand to let people become aberrations just occurred to me. I doubt we'd see it, with the author's sensibilities, but it seems something potentially possible given the metaphysics (especially now with restrictions lifted.)
    Yeah but that'd be phenomenally stupid. Like, why on Earth would you willingly turn somebody else into an anthropophagic monster with no capacity for empathy? That's just asking to become meal #1.

*Sirleck no longer had a body so he probably couldn't.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #804

Snake and Centaur could have had help getting inside, but I take your point.
    Also, to use money they would need to pass as human, most of the time.
    I shoulda have thought a bit more before I opened my trap.

25. - Top - End - #805

This is the single most wholesome fight that anyone has ever had in the history of everything.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    This is the single most wholesome fight that anyone has ever had in the history of everything.
    "You're a good person!" >:(
    "GASP!" >:O

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    "You're a good person!" >:(
    "GASP!" >:O
    How dare you praise my character, you tremendous individual ?!
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #808
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    How dare you praise my character, you tremendous individual ?!
    Are you by any chance familiar with this little story?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    ...Huh. I am like 60% sure this is from an old written DnD story, just modified slightly. That one used grappeling, I think?

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Yes I am, and I no I wasn't thinking about it.
    Forum Wisdom