New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Things are proceeding just as I predicted. Now Diane will reach the inevitable conclusion that Rhoda being assertive means she has magic.

Tangent: Is there any art of Lucy and Diane cosplaying as Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor Xena and Gabrielle?

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am waiting for Diane to understand that, unlike Rhoda, she literally has a magic voice.

That would be an interesting temptation, I think. She's a teen, and she could be the best liar in the world. "My cat ate my homework." "Sounds legit."
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I am waiting for Diane to understand that, unlike Rhoda, she literally has a magic voice.

That would be an interesting temptation, I think. She's a teen, and she could be the best liar in the world. "My cat ate my homework." "Sounds legit."
    Yeah, but her first reflex was that it was really creepy, and that didn't really go away when the details got explained. And it doesn't actively convince people; at most she'll be able to say something absurd with a straight face.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Colossus in the Playground

Indeed. Diane knows she has a magic voice. She's not tempted by it--(that's Jay, except that for her it seems to be less "tempted" and more "using it freely except when something would cross Dan's pretty low threshold of willing to write a not-pure-evil character doing")--she's creeped out by it.

Edited to avoid double posting: If Dan actually goes with "Catalina's sleep for the previous two nights was disrupted because of sex," I'll be impressed.
    Last edited by Kish; 2021-08-30 at 05:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

For the first three speech-bubbles of Justin and Luke's conversation, I was thinking of the Dune books.

6. - Top - End - #1356

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yeah, but her first reflex was that it was really creepy, and that didn't really go away when the details got explained. And it doesn't actively convince people; at most she'll be able to say something absurd with a straight face.
    I somehow forgot she ever found out about it. So the main takeaways from the party were the smoke wizard's identity as pizza girl, how the voice spell works, Diane finding out about it, and Tedd's mom having been hurt in the past?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #1357

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    For the first three speech-bubbles of Justin and Luke's conversation, I was thinking of the Dune books.
    Yeah, could be a lot of things, really.

And the author comments are weird.

Were I being more specific, the author Justin was looking up would be Timothy Zahn, and the revitalization Justin referenced would be the original Thrawn Trilogy.
    ... what referenced revitalization? It made me feel whether I missed a comic or something, but now, this is the first in that scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Bugbear in the Playground

Revitalization= the duology getting sequels - i assume

9. - Top - End - #1359

Justin is saying that the Thrawn Trilogy is the only Star Wars EU he recognizes.

10. - Top - End - #1360

There we go, looks like the commentary for page one was really meant to go with page two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #1361

Susan seems to have been counting on Catalina being freaked out by the idea of her having the magic she actually does have, and letting that slip.

It is actually kind of surprising how blithe she is, unless...well, from what we've seen of her "cat magic," it's entirely possible that she doesn't even think of it in terms of "I have magic," rather "I am cursed with inconveniently and undesirably manifesting cat features if I'm careless about controlling it."

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

When it comes to acting, never bet against the girl who's taken Drama class*.

*Of course she's taken Drama class. Get your "lack of textual evidence" arguments out of here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

My understanding of the plan is that they were counting on Catalina being nervous when she realized they were onto her. But she didn't realize they were onto her, so she wasn't nervous, and didn't need to "act normal." I'm not reading this as Catalina having an amazing power face. I'm reading it as her being a tad oblivious.

But later, when shenanigans inevitably lead to everyone knowing about everyone else, she should definitely claim she saw through their plan and played dumb to throw them off.

14. - Top - End - #1364

Oh hey, look, another thing that makes my blood boil.

when I rule the world, teachers who treat students like that—especially the detention for "back talk" will be required by law to lose their jobs and pensions, tenure be damned.

Severe cases of power tripping teachers, the ones that crossover into legitimate abuse, will be imprisoned for a minimum of ten years.

I'm not traumatized by school, you're traumatized by school!
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Alright, I think I see how things are going. These dudes are Luke & Crew, looking to find superheroes in the dumbest way possible. This is gonna be why Luke was all beat up last time we saw him in the future. Good for Rhoda and Catalina, you can't go around creeping like that.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seeing in my minds eye Catalina, catform w/ fangs forward, 12 feet tall, in uncertain lighting, being loud!
    Edit: Okay, seems like we'll have to imagine it. I got my headcanon locked and loaded!
    Last edited by Windscion; 2021-09-20 at 05:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm hoping specifically for a giant kitten.

And on the topic of running away...

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ogre in the Playground

Prediction: Luke starts crying, and Catalina finds herself awkwardly comforting her (perceived) attacker.

If what happens next is anything other than that, things are going to be awkward later when Luke and Catalina find out they're part of the same friend group.

19. - Top - End - #1369

So, is Luke is a furry? Guess we're about to find out!

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So, is Luke is a furry? Guess we're about to find out!
    Doesn't matter, he's gay and Catalina's still clearly female in that form.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Doesn't matter, he's gay and Catalina's still clearly female in that form.
    Also she looks like she's going to brutally kill him.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #1372

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Prediction: Luke starts crying, and Catalina finds herself awkwardly comforting her (perceived) attacker.

If what happens next is anything other than that, things are going to be awkward later when Luke and Catalina find out they're part of the same friend group.
    Given that we've already seen what was going on with Luke after this, I suspect, rather, the rest of this scene will be "Luke flees, incorrectly believing that the terrifying metahuman his friends ignored his warnings about is a few feet behind him licking her chops."

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Given that we've already seen what was going on with Luke after this, I suspect, rather, the rest of this scene will be "Luke flees, incorrectly believing that the terrifying metahuman his friends ignored his warnings about is a few feet behind him licking her chops."
    Depends how well he can keep up his indignation at what *could* have happened if he knows it wasn't actually a risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #1374

*headdesk* Yes Dan the information that Rhoda is hugely powerful was already provided multiple times and it wasn't hard to get from there to "Luke is probably scared of her, not of her girlfriend who has never been described as particularly powerful." It was annoying enough when just the comment section continually spelled out "one plus one equals two, in case you didn't get what I was going for"; now you've dedicated an entire strip to an unneeded clarification.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    ...because changing things when people successfully guess and/or deduce right is just good writing.
    Ah, I see Dan subscribes to the Game of Thrones school of writing principles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

All this jumping up and down the timeline is confusing me.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    All this jumping up and down the timeline is confusing me.
    Yeah. I have no idea what's going on. I'm going to need to reread this whole thing once it's done.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Barbarian in the Playground

The two unknown off-screen persons are almost certainly the two seers who learned about the second purpose of seers and became ineligible for consultation.
    This makes sense because one pair of seers learning means that two seers didn't independently learn it. Since seers are experts and ultra-wizards, it makes sense for them to be in research positions. Further speculation: they are siblings. They could have been drawn together because of their work, but the "the[y] agree, for ONCE." sounds more like siblings, lol. (Edit: FWIW, I'm thinking voice #1 is brother, voice #2 is sister.)
    I considered immortals, but "taught to manually control their spells" sounds like mortal casterrs.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2021-10-08 at 09:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ogre in the Playground

My prediction is that the off-screen characters are Larry and Rick. And that stuff Dan said about "changing" their identities to Larry and Rick was just clever misdirection.

30. - Top - End - #1380

If it wasn't for the "they're law enforcement" line I'd have thought it was Agent "My god I'm a Jackass" and agent "I'm a sadistic mosnter pretending to be a good guy."

I can't remember their names. You know, from the beginning of the arc. The woman agent is transparently a female Lord Voldermort.

But the one line about "they're law enforcement" would be weird if it was them.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks