New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Back in painted black it was explicitly stated that Grace could be used to breed an entire army of Chimera in a single generation because her Uryoum DNA came from the scientist who was working on Project Lycanthrope, who had a mutation that meant that he could produce enough material to create an egg by himself.

That's explicitly the reason why Damien wanted her--he wanted to use her to breed an army.
    He only says that it's possible, but I will admit that I totally forgot about that plot point, so okay.

In other news, rereading Painted Black has reminded me about the prophecy that Damien was created to fulfill. About a being who would unify the seyunolu outcasts of the world. A being of great power... and a master of fire.

So, um. How 'bout that uryoum pyromancer?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

I like how Tedd lists Sorcery as separate from magic, which makes me want to know what a Sorcerer is in EGS logic.

But yeah, old stuff is clearly still relevant, so don't think Grace's siblings are gone forever.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Indeed, I estimate the polyamory levels has risen by 5% from this comic alone and has thrown Elliot and Tedd's relationship into a more ambiguous area. Quite interesting.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #185

his comic is going to end with the entire main cast living in a mansion together as some kind of love non-euclidian polyhedron.

A Polyamoryhedron if you will.
    Unrelated: Tedd has been demonstrated to glow when feeling particularly ove-related feelings. She did so at Grace's birthday party after Grace... Honestly, grace revealing that she chose a gender bender theme for her birthday because Tedd would like it and Grace revealing that she loves Tedd for Tedd happened in the same conversation and I don't remember which prompted Tedd to kiss Boy Grace.

He did it again in Sister II when Elliot pointed out that Tedd and Grace seemed genuinely smitten with each other and Tedd had an imagine spot of Grace walking past a bunch of muscular attractive guys whose mothers love them and ignoring them because she was thinking of Tedd. Not only did Tedd glow, but it was commented on by people in-universe establishing it as not a narrative filter but something that actually happens.

Place our bets: Is it a Seer thing or is Tedd an even more dangerous rarity than that? I mean, he's apparently a particularly powerful and skilled Seer, so...
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-08-17 at 01:59 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Place our bets: Is it a Seer thing or is Tedd an even more dangerous rarity than that? I mean, he's apparently a particularly powerful and skilled Seer, so...
    My money is on a Seer thing, or maybe even just a magic thing.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Don't stop now
    Don't try to hide it how
    You wanna kiss the girl.

As for the main comics, I think Ashley has found her transformation heaven.
    Last edited by Radar; 2019-08-17 at 04:44 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #188

I don't remember any indication that Tedd is anything other than a seer--including nothing about him being a particularly powerful and skilled seer.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I don't remember any indication that Tedd is anything other than a seer--including nothing about him being a particularly powerful and skilled seer.
    Skill: "You did invent a way of more easily customizing spells for wands." "I know this stings your pride, but you know you're brilliant and you've used that brilliance to make the most of your abilities. Very few in your position would have accomplished even a fraction of what you have."

Tedd's position being a seer with access the alien magitech.

Being particularly powerful is more of an inference: The reason that Tedd was thought to have no magic, which, it seems, is directly responsible for his mom abandoning him, is because he's so powerful that as a baby he'd instinctively cancel the detector spell resulting in a false negative. Tedd can also disenchant himself at will just by wanting the enchantment to end(normally resisting the enchantment just makes it wear off faster,) which Pandora only mentions when talking about Tedd's powers, not seers in general, and we've seen that Pandora wasn't speaking hyperbolically when she said that Tedd was a font of magical power because his magical aura overwhelms the auras around him and blinds people with aura vision.

the other two seers we know about, Arthur and Van... Well, let's start with Van. Van is Tedd's half-brother via the mother, Noriko. Now, it'd be very anti-climactic if Noriko's personality changed offscreen, and Pandora gave multiple non-jerkish reasons to be testing your infant child for magical potential. She didn't abaondon Van and Van has used Magic. Ergo, Van most likily did not set off a false negative when scanned, which means he'd be weaker tha Tedd.

And Arthur thought he was merely a wizard with a quirk. He wasn't just Edward's replacement, but his predecessor as well.

I'm gonna just flat out say that the head of the "magic and aliens" department of the FBI has been enchanted at somepoint and had his power level read. The idea that you can work in that department without such a thing seems silly to me. I have to imagine "functionally immune to enchantments" and "a magical power level of *Insert Anime Meme here*" would have been more than a "quirk."

and how we know Tedd's not just a normal seer: Tedd is literally the only one in the entire comic who glows when he feels loved. This is not listed as a feature of being a Seer.

It could be, but I think that's a bit odd. "Yeah, you glow sometimes" is something important to know.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-08-17 at 06:11 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellen: "Dammit, Tedd, did you trigger another reality slippage? Ashley, what did cats look like in the timeline you remember?"

Okay, that would be mean.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Ellen: "Dammit, Tedd, did you trigger another reality slippage? Ashley, what did cats look like in the timeline you remember?"

Okay, that would be mean.
    Elliot & Ellen have a regular cat, one that doesn't need spines to still be a little adorable sleepy murder machine. So yes, it'd be mean. And fall flat as a joke, since "we just saw your mom's cat in your house ten minutes ago" is an appropriate answer.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-08-19 at 08:31 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #192
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh we might finally learn...

THE SECRET LORE OF JEREMY THE CAT!

What secrets do you hold, spiny cat? WHAT DARKNESS, LIES IN THE HEART OF THAT MOGGY?

Meow.
    CURSES! You will not reveal your secrets! Truly, you are a greater foe than any we have faced before! I bid you adieu!
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

I legitimately forgot that cat even existed. When was the last time we saw it? Ten years ago? Wow.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Skill: [URL="http://egscomics.com/comic/2017-07-03"] and we've seen that Pandora wasn't speaking hyperbolically when she said that Tedd was a font of magical power because his magical aura overwhelms the auras around him and blinds people with aura vision.
    With Luke's aura-vision, do we know for sure that it was blindingly-bright due to Tedd's power instead of that being what a seer's aura looks like?
    I had assumed it was just that looking at a seer looked different.

However, I feel inclined now to believe your implication. Grace was noticably more powerful to Luke, and thus I can see (by extrapolation) the blindingly-bright light from Tedd being further power.
    On the other hand, Luke didn't seem to know what that light meant. He knew Grace was powerful, but he seemed confused about the blinding-light.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    With Luke's aura-vision, do we know for sure that it was blindingly-bright due to Tedd's power instead of that being what a seer's aura looks like?
    I had assumed it was just that looking at a seer looked different.

However, I feel inclined now to believe your implication. Grace was noticably more powerful to Luke, and thus I can see (by extrapolation) the blindingly-bright light from Tedd being further power.
    On the other hand, Luke didn't seem to know what that light meant. He knew Grace was powerful, but he seemed confused about the blinding-light.
    I thought it was Pandora being a prick/overprotective and using her magic to obscure Tedd's aura while giving a warning to peeping Tom (although the commentary in the page after the flash seems to suggest otherwise).
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-08-19 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

I have seen absolutely no indication that Tedd is in any way special in what he is. He is certainly special for who he is and who he knows, but given everything we've seen, I don't think Tedd has any extra power or some such.

We were explicitly told that the reason the magic detection wand gave a false negative is because the sound scared Tedd, causing him to activate his magic defenses. It is entirely possible that Van simply wasn't scared by it and didn't reject it.

As for Arthur, all we get from him is that he thought he had a "quirk" with no explanation by what he meant by that. He could have been referring to the wand making. Or he could have been referring to the high defenses. Or he could be referring to both. We don't have enough context to say for sure one way or the other.

It is, certainly, possible that Tedd is extra special beyond just being a seer, but, at this point, declaring such is pure speculation and fanon. We have not seen anything that actually points to that, and it's always safer to assume that there isn't an extra plot point than to assume that there is.

17. - Top - End - #197

1: Pandora explicitly states that most Seers would not be able to accomplish what Tedd has accomplished if in the same position, indicating that regardless of power he's at least a prodigiously skilled seer.

2: Nothing that's been told to use about seers explains why Tedd glows when he feels loved.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

1: Pandora explicitly states that most Seers would not be able to accomplish what Tedd has accomplished if in the same position, indicating that regardless of power he's at least a prodigiously skilled seer.

2: Nothing that's been told to use about seers explains why Tedd glows when he feels loved.
    1. Skill and power are entirely different things. If I had been given all the same advantages as Elton John, I guarantee you that I would not have become a famous musician. That doesn't mean he's more powerful than me. Pandora was complimenting Tedd's cleverness and ingenuity, nothing more

2. So? A mystery existing doesn't automatically confirm your personal headcanon. That's the height of wishful thinking.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

I got the impression Wizards and especially Seers are extremely magically powerful. At least Tedd, who had dual powerful wizard parents, is likely extremely powerful. If magic inheritance is somewhat Lamarckian, or if being around powerful magic helps people develop magic that likely magics it even a bigger deal.

As for Tedd resisting the magic scanner, he did that because he was scared. He has enough magic resistance he can outright resist or dispel weak spells. Arthur and Edward may have the same ability.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Newest NP:
    If this really turns out to be a fanfic written by Ashley, Sarah, Grace or whatever, I will applaud Dan for the masterful jape he is pulling and just laugh.

if they actually kiss and its real, that means the polyamory levels goes up by another 10% and accelerates the time table of it happening from within 10 years to five years. but thats the least probable outcome of this, the more probable outcome is that they have an awkward conversation about how bad of an idea it would be to actually go through with it because they are in relationships already, Ashley doesn't need this trouble on top of all the other weirdness she is already being introduced to, and Grace has thought some things about Sarah that I don't think she fully processes her own feelings on, like "Sarah is the Perfect Woman" bit which is suspect, best not to give her this on top of that. and just the table the discussion indefinitely or something like that.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    if they actually kiss and its real, that means the polyamory levels goes up by another 10% and accelerates the time table of it happening from within 10 years to five years. .

I just love the idea of us graphing the shippability ratios over time. This comic's a big spike in shippability, we're at least at battleships to the ready stage.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

On this NP: it's not canon, though, right? I don't see one of the canons at the start of it.

I really appreciated Dan's commentary, as it shows he is aware how Elliot's speech in the last square doesn't really seem in-character.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Look into your heart, you know it is canon.

Edit: I mean this is Tedd and Elliot, I assume something along these lines happens once a week.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-20 at 03:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Huh we might finally learn...

THE SECRET LORE OF JEREMY THE CAT!

What secrets do you hold, spiny cat? WHAT DARKNESS, LIES IN THE HEART OF THAT MOGGY?

CURSES! You will not reveal your secrets! Truly, you are a greater foe than any we have faced before! I bid you adieu!
    Now, is it just an innocent animal or not...
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jeremy definitely has some lore behind him. His highest points were being weaponised by Grace and inspiring one of her forms, as well as causing the "Kitty!" panel and being called "the creature nature never intended" by Tedd, but what really matters is that Raven has one too.

Also, he apparently weighs 13 kg, which is a lot for a cat. Meow, the heaviest cat I know of, weighed 18 kg. This cat, the heaviest cat in NYC, would be the same size as Jeremy.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, it's not hard to believe that spines like these would weigh more than fur.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

aaand the new NP is up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They kissed.

yup, the Polyamory has risen by another 10%, timeline has accelerated by five years.

his commentary seems to be disproving all the suspects people could be pointing out.

this is not a drill people. I repeat, this is not a drill.

28. - Top - End - #208

aaand the new NP is up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They kissed.

yup, the Polyamory has risen by another 10%, timeline has accelerated by five years.

his commentary seems to be disproving all the suspects people could be pointing out.

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, Elliot canonically had a sexy dream about Tedd.

Dan could be leaning towards a fakeout.

I mean, the strip doesn't have a 'this is canon' tag, so...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, Elliot canonically had a sexy dream about Tedd.

Dan could be leaning towards a fakeout.

I mean, the strip doesn't have a 'this is canon' tag, so...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your right, he didn't rule out Elliot just having another dream.

though on the other hand, how many times has he used that tag, and how many times did the content turn out to be true, because I haven't been keeping track.

whatever he is doing here, lets hope he treads carefully. fake out or not, writing relationships like this can be delicate work.

Edit: though the more I think about it, the less sense "elliot dream" theory makes, because dreams are usually self-centered. and its too Tedd centric to really be Elliot's dream, because it starts with Tedd having a very tedd-like thought on superheroes. now if this is TEDD's dream that could be more plausible, and I guess the twist is that just because Dan is WRITING it doesn't mean that it isn't Tedd' unconscious mind doing this and while Tedd would write this less subtly, his dreams are free to be more? which is a little weird. but bubbles representing awkward from about Elliot could mean this is a Tedd dream.....
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-08-21 at 08:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

aaand the new NP is up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They kissed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh. That didn't turn out as sexy as I was hoping. Maybe I'm just too used to thinking about both of them as guys? I bet some boob fondling could have fixed that.