New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh. That didn't turn out as sexy as I was hoping. Maybe I'm just too used to thinking about both of them as guys? I bet some boob fondling could have fixed that.
    You have to remember that El Goonish Shive is the most clean perverted comics on the net - even if there is a lot of talk about sexy times, Dan is very careful not to give too much details let alone any visuals.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Reminder for anyone confused: Ashley only met Nanase the once and Nanase has chanced both the color and style of her hair since then.

Also, I don't think they ever exchanged names.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

She was also wearing very different clothes, and they were heavily focused on the griffins rather than each other.

Ashley did at least hear Ellen name Nanase, but might have not noticed or forgotten it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #214

And the kiss was a fakeout.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    And the kiss was a fakeout.
    *clap. clap. clap.*

masterful fakeout. It was close enough that it could've happened and they both internally acknowledge its could've happened, but it didn't yet it still has consequences that makes things comfortable and this still makes their feelings ambiguous.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #216

So... Why was Elliot Cheerledra at home?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Because flying is awesome?

Being Cheerleadra doesn't really cost him anything meaningful, so he doesn't need much reason to do it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Because he felt like it.

9. - Top - End - #219

So I kind of feel like this page could have been commentary and been just as informative without making us wait a weekend for more plot.

this is the first and only time I've ever felt that with this comic.

Beyond that, all I can think of is that weird hair has something to do with non-human magic and ancestry.

Tedd and Nanase are confirmed descended from Immortals, Ellen's weird hair is the result of absorbing Dragon Magic, and Susan, a confirmed immortal descendant, has her hair color changing as part of how her magic works.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-08-30 at 06:53 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

So I kind of feel like this page could have been commentary and been just as informative without making us wait a weekend for more plot.

Beyond that, all I can think of is that weird hair has something to do with non-human magic and ancestry.

Tedd and Nanase are confirmed descended from Immortals, Ellen's weird hair is the result of absorbing Dragon Magic, and Susan, a confirmed immortal descendant, has her hair color changing as part of how her magic works.
    Well, in Susan's case, it has nothing to do with her immortal ancestry. It's because her hair color is an important part of her self identity, and she unlocked her magic in an angst-filled rage.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

11. - Top - End - #221

Well, in Susan's case, it has nothing to do with her immortal ancestry. It's because her hair color is an important part of her self identity, and she unlocked her magic in an angst-filled rage.
    Things can happen for more than one reason.

Like, Marvel did a plot in the mid-00s about it turning out that Spider-Powers were magic. It ended with the explanation that just because Spider-Man's powers are maguc that doesn't mean they aren't also radiation-induced mutations.

Same thing: Just because Susan's hair magic is personal to her, that doesn't mean that Immortal ancestry isn't a factor.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it may have something to do with the comic being black and white. We probably will never see Ellen's green hair, but the page works as a reminder.

In general, I think Dan is using the party to talk about details that we have grown used to, like Jeremy and the hair, but were never explained and represent an oddity in a universe where normalcy is similar to ours. I never had a problem with them, since they simply were anime-inspired like so much from the early EGS.

It is an odd page, but I don't hate it. I do wonder where the party is headed, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #223
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I think it may have something to do with the comic being black and white. We probably will never see Ellen's green hair, but the page works as a reminder.

In general, I think Dan is using the party to talk about details that we have grown used to, like Jeremy and the hair, but were never explained and represent an oddity in a universe where normalcy is similar to ours. I never had a problem with them, since they simply were anime-inspired like so much from the early EGS.

It is an odd page, but I don't hate it. I do wonder where the party is headed, however.

A bit like when the hammers were explained but without a specific arc for it.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by RowenMorland View Post
    A bit like when the hammers were explained but without a specific arc for it.
    Yes, and Dan was so conscious of it that he called the arc Hammerclorians. But, after all, the arc was justified in that it was mostly about having Susan explain her deal in Paris, awakening her, and showing a different side of Sarah (who refuses magic IIRC) and Grace (who is oddly aggressive towards Susan when she discovers she didn't make her research). Jerry was also added as an Immortal guardian -- now that I think about it, that's the third or fourth immortal guardian in the comic (after the two French immortals and maybe Pandora).
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #225

The French Immortals don't count as Guardians.

They're jerks who manipulate children and visitors into killing vampires for them instead of just going to the local "deal with magic, aliens, and monsters professionally" people.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

They're jerks who manipulate children and visitors into killing vampires for them instead of just going to the local "deal with magic, aliens, and monsters professionally" people.
    Yeah but they're not exactly going to be manipulating anyone into killing a lot of vampires any time soon, are they?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

That was the old them. The new them seem to be generally naive and kind.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #228

That was the old them. The new them seem to be generally naive and kind.
    They manipulated the Gryphon into staying in Mopperville and killing vampires instead of helping her get home as they agreed to.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Agreeing that the new immortals don't seem much better. They're guarding because they don't remember why they were around them, but just reckon it's something important they cared about.

To clarify: if not for the griffon info, we'd have no reason to suspect the new them are like the old them. But from the griffon thing I think we have reason to suspect they'd use most any means to hunt abnormalities (whether it be vampires or a dude stuck on the spirit realm), be those means teenage girls or a lost griffon.

I think the comic always stated or implied that Jeremy (and Raven's cat) were strange, but the reason was unknown and the main characters were used to it. I recall that, when Grace met Raven's cat, it was obvious that those 'cats' aren't normal based on their conversation (mostly Raven being surprised that Grace wasn't surprised.)

The hair, though... I guess I figured that, in this setting, abnormal hair was normal. I also have a memory of some comic or cartoon where someone says something like:
    "Why is your hair that color?", being pink, purple, or blue
    "What do you mean? This is just a normal hair color. What would you expect? Brown?"
    And I guess I either assumed EGS had a similar thing going on or my memory got fuzzy and attributed it to EGS.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-08-30 at 03:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230

In one of the Q&A comics, someone asks why there are so many weird hair colors in EGS. The (snarky) answer given is: Huh, the question-asker must come from a world without blonde, brown, or black hair.

21. - Top - End - #231

http://egscomics.com/comic/2015-12-16

I just noticed that, according to Elliot, cool superheroes have pouches

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

http://egscomics.com/comic/2015-12-16

I just noticed that, according to Elliot, cool superheroes have pouches
    So he is at the very least familiar with the art of Rob Liefeld.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    The hair, though... I guess I figured that, in this setting, abnormal hair was normal. I also have a memory of some comic or cartoon where someone says something like:
    "Why is your hair that color?", being pink, purple, or blue
    "What do you mean? This is just a normal hair color. What would you expect? Brown?"
    And I guess I either assumed EGS had a similar thing going on or my memory got fuzzy and attributed it to EGS.
    EGS did do that as a FAQ gag once IIRC.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    EGS did do that as a FAQ gag once IIRC.
    Yeah, that page only ended up confusing me more. It was phrased in such a way that it didn't answer the question at all. At least this page finally does.

25. - Top - End - #235

Why am I utterly unsurprised by this development?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Why am I utterly unsurprised by this development?
    because they are both cinnamon rolls that keep on rolling and leaving their sweetness everywhere.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

This also will become more amusing with revelations of Grace being part squirrel. At least a good callback.

28. - Top - End - #238

U.S. warns of feral hogs approaching country from Canada

They're going to Montana, though, instead of the Midwest.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

U.S. warns of feral hogs approaching country from Canada

They're going to Montana, though, instead of the Midwest.
    Uh...wrong thread I think?

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Uh...wrong thread I think?
    There was the entire storyline of a Wildboar getting into mopperville and becoming a problem with Grace and Raven trying to capture it before it could be killed because they disliked that killing it was the only option being considered(grace) or sympathized with it as a fellow being with nowhere to truly belong(Raven.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks