New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re-skinning mundane items as low-level magic items

Let me explain- in the setting I’m running, there was a race of magical precursor giants (so big that they were more like gods than giants as we think of them in D&D).

The players are about to run into a half-buried giant chest, guarded by a giant housecat and spider.

In the chest, which is the size of a large house, they’ll find various mundane items which I want to sell as usable, sometimes magical weapons, armor, potions, etc.

Do playgrounders have any quirky and/or immediately obvious re-skins? The only real criteria is that the item be something you’d have in a chest or closet, and it’s magical reinterpretation be fairly low on the power curve.

So far I’ve got:
    Sewing kit- needle=rapier, thimble=helmet, thread=climbing rope
    Ornamental broach=shield
    Matches=torches
    Magic rings=magic armbands
    Scrap of cloth=magical cloak

Cheers!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Re-skinning mundane items as low-level magic items

Handkerchief: Cloak or blanket.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Coins or buttons could be another option for shields. Toothpick type object for spears.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Cool idea, although maybe be careful with the scale you're using. If a needle could be a rapier, then a finger ring would be far too large to be an armband (and probably also wouldn't come in pairs). Could be a metal belt of some sort instead?

What's the level of technology like? Not in the main setting, but in this giant world? Would there be paperclips (maybe a grappling hook, depending on size), or thumbtacks (a buckler), or sticky tape (so many options)? Could there be a set of small keys? Elastic bands? Maybe a paracetamol tablet could be like an almost infinite supply of healing potion, if someone knew how to prepare it?