New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 68: Dawn of a New Season (or two)

[Sort of but not really Goblin Talks]

"Redirecting the airship should work just fine," Blanche responds, glancing back at the amassed pile of explosives. She's not the greatest expert on such things, but the payload looks like it would weigh a great deal. She quirks her eyebrow, pausing for a second. "...A giant dinosaur?" Another pause. "There, uh, wouldn't be any extra trinkets for the rest of us, would there?" Nexus Weirdness Questioning can come later, they can reap the rewards first.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

2. - Top - End - #542

[New Inside Embassy]

"Alright, sir." The guard replies and gestures for them to follow. "Names Beckett and I tend to take care with the official visitors we get here so you're lucky that I came across you. Don't want to backtalk my coworkers but even I can't help but to be a bit nervous in times like these." He pauses as they reach the checkpoint by the wall that surrounds the embassy. "Don't suppose you could be a bit more precise about your business? Would make my job a lot easier. Or I could just take you straight to the head diplomats office. She probably has whatever information you're after.

[Sort of but not really Goblin Talks]

"Did she just say 'giant dinosaur'?" Kramokow asks out loud as he seems to not-so-subtly have been trying to listening in to the conversation.
    This is meet by a tall night elf moving up in front of Blanche and crossing her arms over her chest. "Mind your own business, buddy."

Her stare is enough for the captain to quickly back away. "Jeez! Sorry for being concerned." He grumbles while moving back to his crew to oversee the quickly growing pile of bombs.

3. - Top - End - #543

[Indoor Jurassic Beach]

The brightly-colored turkey-like creatures quickly collectively start acting cute and swarming all the beach-goers in an effort to finish scarfing down all the food they're given.
    A few of them start leaving down the beach, away from the beach-goers.

Meanwhile,

Dawn is unwilling to give up in this war of water, in spite of all the laughter. "Is that all you have?" she taunts. She dives to the side, splashing a wide arc.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Jurassic Beach

In response, Sekhmet reaches out with her magic into the ocean around her. Water is one of her weakest elements, but she can still manage a splash that comes from Dawn's left rather than where Sekhmet is.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

[New Inside Embassy]

"I'm afraid I can't talk much about it, except if you need it to answer my questions," Michalson says. "It would be best for me to speak with the 'ead diplomat directly, yes."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #546

[Indoor Jurassic Beach]

All the mini-raptors have now left the beach area. People are laughing and talking about how cute they were and how they reacted and are sad that they're gone now, even though some of them still have some jerky left over to hand out.

Dawn dodges! She somehow dodges the side-strike wave even though it was the perfect sneak attack.
    She dodges by diving underwater. After all, you can't get wet if you're underwater.

The elf shows off her swimming skills by quickly swimming around Sekhmet, and then makes an underwater lunge right at the other woman's legs! She's trying to knock Sekhmet down into the water by sweeping her legs out from under her.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Jurassic Beach

"Eeeek!" Sekhmet goes down with a splash, not expecting an attack from behind herself. Beneath the water, she panics, trying to right herself.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #548

[Indoor Jurassic Beach]

There is a shriek from on shore.

It's probably just someone having too much fun.

Too bad Dawn's underwater and, thus, doesn't notice it.

As soon as Sekhmet begins thrashing underwater, Dawn lets go of the legs to allow Sekhmet to touch the ground and right herself. Horseplay's no fun if the other person starts panicking, she thinks.

The elf doesn't surface yet: she remains underwater to watch and see if the other woman calms down enough to just stand up again. She'll understand if she doesn't, though! If you think you're drowning, sometimes you don't recognize that you can just stand up!
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

There's a small, out of the way place on the corner of 42nd Street and Barlow Avenue. A strip mall, it houses a variety of things, including a few convenience stores, an internet cafe, a gun shop, a Hap-Ki-Do martial arts dojo, and a boxing gym.

The gym is our focus today. Small though it may be, it nonetheless has a sterling reputation in the neighborhood due to Jack "Southpaw" Hill, the owner and coach of the establishment who opens it up to anybody willing to learn American style boxing and sometimes even Muay Thai. He currently stands off the side of the center ring chewing on bubble gum as he calls out to the fighters in the ring, a young and clearly inexperienced black man currently sparring with a much larger and muscular red-haired boxer. The larger man obviously knows what he's doing, and isn't overwhelming the newer kid while he's still learning the ropes.

Currently dressed in a pair of athletic shorts and a sports bra, both sized to her, is Emily. She's sitting at the side of the ring and watching the goings-on with a water bottle that'd be well past oversized on anybody that wasn't like her, and occasionally calling out encouragement to the smaller guy, "His guard's up, jab him a few times to open him up!"
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

A somewhat odd visitor comes into the gym. Someone you'd expect in a different sort of martial arts establishment. A muscular, bald woman with pale skin that has an odd bluish color around her eyes, wearing a simple robe held together by a three-coiled belt, a straw hat and sandals. Her eyes scan the establishment. Hmm, those people seem to actually know what they are doing. But here's the person she's here to see. She takes a position beside Emily and just seems to observe the training for now.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

The young man follows Emily's advice, jabbing a few times so he can get in a strike to the larger man's chest. Given that grin, he's happy to be learning.

"Something you need?" the massive woman asks. Her eyes haven't left the fight in the ring, but the monk can clearly tell the question is directed at her, "The Shaolin monk getup is nice, but a little out of place, and people only sit beside me when they want something or they already know me pretty well."

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

"I'm unfamiliar with the term 'Shaolin', I'm afraid." That much is definitely true. "Though I am a monk and this is the clothing permitted by my order. I am simply investigating this world's martial arts and their practitioners."

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

"You want to learn about boxing?" Emily asks with a smile in her voice, "Well, you're in the right place; Southpaw's a good teacher. I wouldn't say he's as good as my dad in a fight, but he's certainly a better teacher. I love the man, but he's not good at explanations."

Emily takes a swig from her water bottle, before setting it down on the bench beside her, "Can't help but notice that you dodged my question, though," Seems she's not a dumb brute after all.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Jurassic Beach

Sekhmet manages to get her feet under her and stands up, gasping for breath. She doesn't notice the scream, she's too distracted by recovering and looking for Dawn.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Shady Park]

"The Singer and elves both excavate the mountains in search of crystals. Or rather, the Singer shapes tunnels with her song, helping the elves develop their settlements, since they lack the goblins' tunnelling alchemy. In return, they take the crystals and give them to her garden. For what purpose, I cannot say." The King's branches sway as he thinks. "She lets them use some crystals for their own purposes. They also defend the mountains from trolls, who come from the depths and are single-mindedly determined to eat the crystals. Damon's role will be protection, an extra pair of eyes and if need be, a strong axe-wielding arm. Not to mention proof that I have strong allies and fulfill my promises."
    [Shady Park]

Ilpholin is quiet for a moment, no doubt debating internally whether to argue the need for protection. But Ilpholin was never one to turn down an extra pair of hands. Besides, Damon had other uses.

"Very well. I have no further questions. If that is all..." Ilpholin will wait for an affirmative response before giving a shallow bow and heading off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

"Observant of you," Calm Reed says. "In truth, I heard about you visiting Vigil, where I live and serve, and speaking to one of our commanders. A martial artist of your stature seemed worth investigating. I am Calm Reed, by the way. A monk of the Immaculate Order." Will Emily recognize the name? Will she show it if she does?

[Shady Park]

The King's form will disappear shortly after Ilpholin has left.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Emily's face only shows mild surprise, like a particularly interesting conversation topic just came up. Presumably because that's exactly what just happened, "Hrmmm. You're fishing for something, dangling information like I know what it means. My stature is what interests you... you got something against mutants, Reed? 'Cause I can only imagine stirring up trouble with a giant crocodile woman is the reason you came down here. 'Immaculate' usually refers to everything being in a good place, and having a place for everything. But I don't fit, 'cause I'm not normal. Am I offensive to your faith?"

Her voice isn't angry, though it is a challenge; she's keeping herself level, even if there's a hint of annoyed frustration underlying it. Calm Reed may get the sense that Emily has dealt with that kind of offensive topic often before, likely even from other religious types, and she's not likely to take that kind of thing lying down. If Calm Reed doesn't handle what she says next properly, she may be facing a fight.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Calm Reed meets Emily's gaze evenly, without flinching. This enormous beast-woman is certainly more clever than she looks. Time to dispense with subtlety.

"Mutants aren't what I'm concerned with," she says. "What I am concerned with are Anathema. Where I hail from, people with animal-like traits are either the moon-mad Lunar Anathema, or the beastfolk that so often surround them. When I heard about you, therefore, I had to investigate. You, however, appear to be neither."

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Emily holds Calm Reed's gaze for a long moment, giving the much smaller woman a good look into the the yellow crocodilian eyes Emily sports. She watches a moment, looking for signs of fear, of malice, or of any other emotion. Calm Reed may also notice the crocodilian nostils twitch. When she finds none of what she was looking for, her face turns back to the boxing ring.

"Word to the wise; don't try that cloak and dagger crap on people that can smell your emotions. Either be up front about what you want, or don't try to play friendly," she lets out a breath, and much of the tension leaves her body, "So what are these 'Anathema' you're so worried about? You wouldn't be checking on rumors if you weren't seriously worried about them."

20. - Top - End - #560

[Indoor Jurassic Beach]

Dawn is still under the water!
    Her dark red skin and black hair (and black clothes) really stand out against the sand and the water. It's not hard to find her, if Sekhmet looks behind her legs.

After a few moments, Dawn jumps up out of the water. "Ha! That was fun, right? I enjoyed it," she says.

Meanwhile
    Many of the people on the beach start running for that floating door to return to the changing room.

They're really missing out on their Jurassic Experience.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Jurassic Beach

"I... guess." Sekhmet didn't like nearly drowning. She finally spots the commotion onshore. "What's going on over there?"

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

"Subterfuge is not normally my area of expertise," Calm Reed admits. "But this far from home, a monk does what she must. Lunar Anathema are demons who possess mortals and turn them into moon-mad monsters. I do not know if any exist here, but I must be vigilant."

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Emily rubs her chin a moment, considering what she'd just been told, "Moon-mad monsters, huh? Turning into animals? Are you familiar with tales of werewolves from other worlds than your own?"

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Calm Reed actually looks confused for a moment.

"Werewolves? No, I can't say I've heard the name."

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

"Lycanthrope, then?" she asks. Regardless of the answer Emily says, "Old legends from my homeworld. Werewolves - also called lycanthropes - are people cursed to transform into bloodthirsty wolf-men under the full moon's light. There's stories of similar shifters from over the rest of the world, but for different animals. Hyenas in Africa, Jaguars in central America, and others elsewhere. In most stories if you have a centered mind and strong will, you can even control it."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Dibbles & Dobbers Advanced Edition

The Apprentice finally drops the pair. Confusion mars his tusked face.
    ”Against your will? But why wouldn’t you want to meet the Master? He’s a pretty cool guy, you know. He’s got all the magic you could want for big people. And I think you’re almost big enough. Or you could just go I guess.” he seems disappointed in that possibility.
    ”Yes, I think we should. Take his statement and we can go, Wil. This whole place feels weird and tingly.” Melvin clearly hasn’t ever been in a magical mansion before.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

"That's a marked similarity, but the Lunar Anathema don't need the moon to shape-shift. And they can dance between many human and animal shapes or hybrid ones as they please," Calm Reed explains. "I've heard that children they sire with mortals sometimes exhibit lesser shapeshifting powers, however."

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Emily lets out a rumbling "Hmmm," as she mulls this information over, "Which suggests some interesting connections between our types of shapeshifters. They say that the multiverse is full of distorted mirrors. Tell you what; if you find one of these anathema, let me know. I'm sure you could appreciate the option of having someone like me on the frontline."

29. - Top - End - #569

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [New Inside Embassy]

"I'm afraid I can't talk much about it, except if you need it to answer my questions," Michalson says. "It would be best for me to speak with the 'ead diplomat directly, yes."
    [New Inside Embassy]

"Right you are." Beckett remarks as leads them past the checkpoint and into the embassy itself. The lobby would probably look fancy if it wasn't filled with people that appeared as if they had been sleeping on the floor. Sleeping bags, food containers, backpacks, trash and blankets following in their wake.

This would be some of the people that Michalson is here to apprehend.

"Apologize for the mess. We got a lot of citizens seeking shelter from all the chaos right now." He glances at Michalson's NPC companions. "And I'm afraid that miss Keysing will only meet you one at the time. The rest have to stay down here."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-08-02 at 03:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Calm Reed looks quite surprised. Coming from the monk, normally stoic as a rock and calm as a windless lake, this is a lot.

"...a noble offer. I will remember it if a Lunar Anathema does appear in these lands. Though I truly hope none of them do. The similarities and differences between worlds are quite... hmm. They suggest a pattern of some sort, but I can't really identify yet. You, however, aren't linked to the moon, the way you talk about it. You used the word 'mutant' before."

[New Inside Embassy]

Michalson gives the shabby people and their belongings a look that looks casual to all but the most perceptive observers. Hmm...

"Of course. I hope this doesn't take long," he says politely, his mind working fast. He absolutely has to talk to at least some of those people. The chief diplomat might make it easier or much, much harder.