New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 68: Dawn of a New Season (or two)

[Industrial Strength Investigation]

By the Lady's knickers, he sure stepped into something this time, didn't he? Michalson watches the display in front of them with dismay.

"We don't abandon an investigation because we're asked nicely," he says, hiding his dread over this whole situation behind a matter-of-fact tone. "We were lookin' for the warehouse which you bashers just dazzled away. And we know what you did in there."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Indoor Jurassic Beach]

And...she makes it through the door!

She finds herself back in the [Locker Room]. It's full of people breathing quickly, talking excitedly, and so on.

Once she's had a moment to catch her breath, she might notice that a couple of the people in the locker room look suspiciously like the people who were eaten, with torn and blood-stained clothes and all. Except, they look uninjured and are excitedly talking to their friends about how terrifying that was. One of their friends had no idea what had happened, so they were (appropriately) panicked and are now getting teased for worrying so much about their formerly-eaten friends. Some of them are considering going back out there once they get changed and the dinosaur goes away.

Also, the fire on the beachside trees has become large enough that the radiative heat can be felt from the doorway. Judging by the reactions of the people still on the beach, the feathered Rex seems to have fled the scene to get away from the flames.

And, shortly afterwards, Dawn comes through the doorway, looking like she just released a lot of pent-up stress. She also has black ash on her face in certain patterns. "Well, that certainly did get my blood pumping," she says as soon as she sees Sekhmet.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Jurassic Beach

Sekhmet catches her breath for a few moments. How can that person be talking about going back after what just happened? Wait... didn't they die? When Dawn arrives, she's calmed down considerably. It's almost funny that she was scared, there was nothing to be worried about. She looks into the other doors curiously, wondering what the other options were. "I guess it was sort of fun."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #604

[Indoor Beach Locker Room]

"Yeah!" Dawn says. "Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch that dragon; it got away too quickly." She means the T. Rex, of course.

"Gotta go wash off my face. Be right back." The elf heads towards where the sinks are located here in the locker room, so she can wash the charcoal and ash off her face and hair. This'll give Sekhmet time to go look in the other doors.

The other four doors lead to similar ocean-and-beach places, but each of them seems to have their own unique properties.
    One of them seems to lead directly to a coral reef underwater, but with no person in sight. The water appears to be held in to place, not spilling into the locker room because of some invisible force-field or something along those lines.
    The next one also leads to the middle of the ocean, but on the surface on a large raft-structure. There's people with jetskis and other boats visible.
    There's one leading to the beach at night, with a lot of people partying, including a bonfire, volleyball nets, and so on.
    And the last door leads to the top of a cliff overlooking the ocean, with many tropical trees, rickety wooden bridges, and smoke in the distance.

After a bit, Dawn comes back.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Bazaar

There's some sort of commotion going on in the stands where Myriam is being led. A shout comes from within, "What're you trying to pull here!? This fish isn't nearly fresh!" A hulking figure, four-armed, 12 feet tall, and covered in thick green scales is towering over a frightened Zora merchant and berating the unfortunate shopkeep about his wares. The detector is clearly pulling towards the large creature.

Jack and Tao are still undisturbed, although they might hear the shouting.
    Oh!

Well.

The head is just pulling toward that...

Whatever that is?

She really doesn't have any context for what is and isn't normal among flatlanders, aside from what little experience she has gathered thus far. The things like humans are most common. But they aren't the only things by any means. Maybe giant, multi-armed people are normal(ish) here? Though probably not. The fishmonger appears to be experiencing distress. Perhaps now, then, would be a good time to intervene with a question? Myriam approaches the hulking figure, withdrawing the robo-head from her bag.

"Excuse me... sir?" she ventures. The thing looks like a sir.

Probably?

"I was told I needed to find someone who knew about insectile robots and that I would know them when I see them. Are you who I'm looking for?"

[Kind of Goblin Conversation]

"A few trinkets of various kinds? Bracelets mostly. And a sighting scope for a gun?" comes Geneva's voice back over the com. "Be wary, though, they carry a pretty strong psychic imprint of primal ferocity."

Of course Geneva would be likely to notice slight changes to tweaks to her mindset.

She has to keep her state of mind in careful check all the time. When you've got notable psionic power letting your thoughts and emotions get away can be dangerous. That was one of the basic lessons they taught to everyone who manifested psychic abilities back home.

Or... they used to, anyway.

"I think the dinosaur is headed for the meat tower. Hopefully it doesn't get eaten."

That would be terrible.

And then?

A thought occurs to her!

"I wasn't able to equip any of your communicators with an inventory spell, but I WAS able to interface them with mine. Do you want me to send some of the gear to you?" Geneva asks.

It's an item transfer!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

Bazaar

The creature turns to Myriam, beginning to reply, but his eyes light on the head. A shocked expression comes over his face. "Where in the Five Realms did you get that!?" He forgets all about his argument with the fishmonger, and continues, "We need to talk. Do you have any friends, who are trustworthy and good in a fight, especially if they know about this already?"

Indoor Beach

The doorway leading underwater interests Sekhmet. How does it not flood the room? What holds it together? She sticks a hand through it, curiously.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-08-05 at 04:53 PM.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Quote Originally Posted by Halae View Post
    "Think of it this way; if it turns out it's beyond you, or beyond your station, you can stop at any time. But if I'm right, and this sort of thing is necessary, it'd be a big help for you to determine what the 'natural order' is for this place," Emily says
    Calm Reed considers this. It's unusual to hear wisdom from a... well, not technically a beast-folk, but a commoner of strange nature nonetheless. And yet, it's hard to argue with it.

"You speak the truth. Maybe I needed an outside perspective to gain perspective on my situation... so thank you for that."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

Emily shrugs, "Think nothing of it. Most people don't realize that just because I'm big and strong, doesn't mean I'm not smart too, and I like talking philosophy. Can't really help you on who to talk to about the natural order of the Nexus, though. Everybody that might actually know is hella biased. The best I can give you is feedback on your ideas and maybe a sparring partner."
    Last edited by Halae; 2019-08-06 at 01:29 AM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

9. - Top - End - #609

[Indoor Beaches]

As Sekhmet puts her hand into the water, it'll feel...wet.
    Nothing seems to happen. The water-doorway ripples like somebody sticking their hand into a pond.
    Maybe she needs to jump fully through it for something to happen?

Dawn, from behind, looks into the same doorway.
    "Huh," she says.

"That's weird."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Beaches

Sekhmet isn't about to jump through a portal to the bottom of the ocean! She can't swim or breathe underwater. "Yes. I wonder what it's for?"

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #611

[Indoor Beaches]

"That one looks like it might be..." Dawn looks at the other doors, briefly. "Um...the daily special, or maybe waterworld. Probably the former."

Dawn nods.
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    Cannibal Island would require an island, and the night-time one is probably the party one. That leaves the daily special and waterworld. It's wet, so that means it could be waterworld, but the daily special...wasn't that the one where they're animals or something? Right, yeah, because Dawn thought it sounded boring.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Beaches

Sekhmet wishes Dawn hadn't interrupted the receptionist, because she didn't think it sounded boring. "So, do we step inside?"

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #613

[Indoor Beaches]

Dawn shrugs. "Sure," she says, waiting for Sekhmet to go first.

"Just don't blame me if you're a leech or a sea anemone."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Beaches

"They wouldn't do that!" Sekhmet responds, "Nobody would want to come back!" With that, she steps through the door, letting the water envelop her.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #615

[Indoor Beaches]

Dawn sighs and follows Sekhmet through the door.

Once Sekhmet is fully submerged in the water, she'll find herself quickly changing. She'll become taller, and heavier, and wider. Her face elongates in a strange way, her hands become paddle-like fins, and her feet shrink into near-nothingness as she grows a weird tail. Her skin turns grey.
    She's a manatee.
    It might give her a headache, but she quickly will find herself 'just know'ing how to be a manatee as if she's been one her whole life.

Meanwhile, Dawn has shrunken into a seahorse.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Beach

After a moment of adjusting to her new size and shape, Sekhmet begins to swim in a slow, wide circle around the doorway. She isn't even sure how she's doing it. "Wow! This is amazing!" She says, or rather, tries to, unsure of whether she can speak in this form. "Dawn? Where are you?" The small seahorse had eluded her vision.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Dib and Dob in Magic Mansion!]

"Nae hawd on jes' a sec thar, Dobbers." Dibbles says, raising a hand. "Yon orb thingie is from yer master, aye? I think we migh' need tae see 'im to tae a statement from him too."

Not an idea Dibbles relishes the thought of, but they might as well do the job properly, and see what's up with this mysterious mage in the process.

"But before we gaw anywhere with ye, would y'kindly confirm tha' yer not bein' kept here under duress? And ah, whit kinda magic is so special f'r big people?"
    [Dib And Dob in the Eldritch Estate]

The big hippo looks confused. The smaller hippo looks annoyed.
    ”Huh? ‘Course I ain’t here under duress. I live here. All Master’s apprentices get to live here along with all the free food, but I’m the only one here right now. And as for the magic, well-“
    He strikes a pose, flexing his muscles, and barks a single word in an old, dead language. All the pool water on the three of them lifts off into a cloud of bubbles that slowly drift back towards the pool.
    ”Master doesn’t have hands, so he invented a magic that lets you put your whole body into it. Less complex incantations, and no hand gestures.”
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2019-08-07 at 06:15 AM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

18. - Top - End - #618
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    Clarkburn Apartments

"Across Inside? Like clear across it? Oh... hell. You'd better come in. I'm going to need another set of hands to carry some gear. And if you already know about Mo enough to know what she can do, I expect you to relax your expectations about legality when you cross this threshold." Hilda's voice cuts out, and the door unlocks with a quiet thunk and a slightly louder buzz announcing it's okay to open.

Inside, the apartment is fairly clean and neat, the door left open for Ithuriel to just walk through. The reason is clear when she sees Hilda waving her forward from a back room and holding a canister marked very obviously with a nuclear trefoil only partially concealed by one of her fingers. Slung over her shoulder is an unholy spawn of a first aid kit and mechanic's tool bag, which she promptly stuffs the cylinder into.

"You're not looking so hot yourself Officer Von Holstav. Can I get you some bandages or disinfectant or something? I'd prefer you don't drop before we get to Mo."
    [Clarkburn Apartments]

Ithuriel stumbles in and...sits. Just kind of on the floor. She really isn't looking so hot, although there's not much in the way of visible wounds. She's just tired, and pale.

"I'm fine. Just fine. Just, gimme like five minutes to rest up, and I'll fly us back there. I guess I wouldn't say no to an energy drink or something. You know, if you have one lying around."

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post

The group travels for another short while, the woods eerily quiet, with only the sound of wind among the trees and the group's own footsteps to keep them company. Coming over the rise to where Michalson and the others found the factory before, they are instead greeted by the feeling of dread intensifying greatly, and...an empty clearing with a massive shallow hole where the factory once was. Standing in front of the hole with its back to them is an armored humanoid that the VIGIL members may recognize from briefings after the Riverside invasion, his arms extended towards the hole, along with what seems to be two young women. Black lightning crawls along the ground, the remnants of whatever powerful spell or ability he just used dissipating. Michalson's goggles pick up considerably more: the remains of some sort of rift that are slowly fading into the air behind the group. The remnants of power that are dissipating identify as partly magic, partly psionic, and several other unidentifiable types of energy. The bits that are magic are of a very, very ancient type, one that mortals most likely aren't familiar with. But perhaps most notable are the black mawspheres that float near the man's shoulders. They aren't visible without some sort of mystic or magical sight, but their very presence seems to be radiating more of the strange power that permeates the area. They roll lazily over and over in place, in random directions, their grinning faces showing no reaction to seeing the group.

Zenon the Devourer stands before them. The women stand on each side of him, one with teal hair, the other, a light shade of green. They too, appear to be wearing high-tech armor, but theirs is more form-fitting on the body, pitch black, and they don't wear helmets, instead, antennas seem to protrude upwards like small wings from the round domes where their ears should be. Each has silver stripes on their cheeks, reaching from under their eyes around and down to their necks. Both have long hair drawn up into ponytails, though the teal-haired one's hair seems to be mostly straight, while green's is a bit wavy. They seem to notice the group first, and turn to look at the detective and VIGILantes.

"You were warned to stay away," the teal-haired woman starts, fixing the group with eyes the same color as her hair.

"We warned you what would happen," the other chimes in, looking the VIGILantes up and down. Both women smile in amusement in unison and seem about to say something when Zenon raises a hand without looking at the group, gesturing towards them.

"Now, now, there's no need for that, ladies. I'd hate for you to damage your new bodies when they've only just been finished," he says, turning to face the group, a magnanimous smile on his face. "Can I help you ladies and gentlemen?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

By the Lady's knickers, he sure stepped into something this time, didn't he? Michalson watches the display in front of them with dismay.

"We don't abandon an investigation because we're asked nicely," he says, hiding his dread over this whole situation behind a matter-of-fact tone. "We were lookin' for the warehouse which you bashers just dazzled away. And we know what you did in there."

Ithuriel quietly steps in front and just to the side of Michalson. "Don't forget, partner, I'm the meatshield. You need to, you use me as cover, clear?" She mutters with a smile to him as she steps beside him. Ideally she'd be in a position to play the part of meatshield for everyone over here, but that's easier said than done.

And then her smile fades as she addresses Zenon and his...somethings.

"Yeah yeah, real spooky. Get off your high horse and can it with the villainous posturing. I've heard better and I've seen better. Now as the good detective here says, this is an investigation. So if you wanted to you could get down on the ground, talk to us, and cooperate with our investigation. And I'd much prefer that to blasting us with magic lasers or whatever else you warned would happen. Sound good?"

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Dib And Dob in the Eldritch Estate]

The big hippo looks confused. The smaller hippo looks annoyed.
    ”Huh? ‘Course I ain’t here under duress. I live here. All Master’s apprentices get to live here along with all the free food, but I’m the only one here right now. And as for the magic, well-“
    He strikes a pose, flexing his muscles, and barks a single word in an old, dead language. All the pool water on the three of them lifts off into a cloud of bubbles that slowly drift back towards the pool.
    ”Master doesn’t have hands, so he invented a magic that lets you put your whole body into it. Less complex incantations, and no hand gestures.”
    [Dib and Dob, water pair!]

"Jes' makin' sure. Gotta keep a record, y'unnerstan'. Nae, uh-" Dibbles pauses as he watches the water float away. "Ah, thankye. Nae if ye'd be willing to jes' make a wee statement regardin' the nature of this disturbance along with th'orb-master, we'll be on our wee."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

19. - Top - End - #619

[Tangentially Related to Speaking With Goblins Discussion]

The goblin and Anika earn a pointed look and an appreciative glance as the latter interferes with the former snooping.

"Well, that doesn't sound like that much of a drawback considering the situation," Blanche jokes. "and that sounds perfect to me." She makes a note to advise whoever else crews the airship to keep an eye out for the dinosaur - friendly fire seems like a risk as far as its concerned, but it'd also be quite the threat if anything manages to take it over somehow.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

20. - Top - End - #620

[Indoor Beach]

"Right here," Dawn replies.

There seems to be some sort of telepathic communication available. "I'm one of those small and slow stealthfishes."

Dawn...can't keep up with the manatee, since her top speed is comparable to Sekhmet's average speed.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

[Southpaw Boxing Gym]

"A sparring partner, you said? I suppose after coming all this way, it would be a waste not to try," Calm Reed says. "We should be careful, however. I think a proper fight between us might destroy this place."

22. - Top - End - #622

Shopping

A certain purple-haired catgirl goes shopping for mechanical parts.

She is, as expected, wearing an orange turtleneck shirt, and a skirt that doesn't quite match it.

She browses through the "Electronics" bins at yard sales, at shop fronts, and so on, in search of the missing parts of a force-field shield.
    Marin, the catgirl, has earphones in her ears so she can listen to music as she searches.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2019-08-08 at 10:37 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Beach

Sekhmet turns using a stroke of her flippers to face Dawn. "Wow! You're tiny! I don't even recognize you!" If she had a mirror, she wouldn't recognize herself, or maybe she would because of the magical manatee instincts. "I want to go exploring, but if you're small and I'm big, maybe one of us should try to leave and come back as something else?"

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #624

Indoor Beach

"No, you're just very big," Dawn the seahorse replies.

She tries to swim around but in the turbulence caused by Sekhmet's swimming, it's actually pretty hard. "Yeah. I'm going back, because I don't even think I have a stomach and it feels really weird."

As Dawn says that, she works her way towards the door. Once she exits the water, she turns back to her normal self...
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Beach

"I think I'll change too. I've been holding my breath this whole time." Sekhmet swims out too, feeling her body change back to its natural shape. She doesn't stay long though, only enough to get used to having legs again before jumping back through the portal.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #626

Indoor Beach

When Sekhmet goes through the water again, she'll once again find herself growing. She starts growing extra legs, as her arms disappear. She grows larger and larger and larger, even larger than before as the manatee. She's becoming a giant squid.

Meanwhile, Dawn has shrunken once again and, this time as a sea urchin, starts falling toward the ground. "Oh, hey! I can see everything around me!" she says through the telepathic connection. "Kinda hurts, though."

"...but I don't think I can swim." She hits the ground.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Beach

Sekhmet feels strange. The rush of water through her gills gives her a strange feeling of pleasure, and like before, she feels comfortable in her new form, feeling the area around her with her arms before trying to jet forwards. However, she has trouble maneuvering with her new, much greater length in the shallow reef. "I feel so large and powerful. Too large, really." To make matters worse, her squidly instincts tell her she should be in much deeper waters. Her huge round eye looks around, until it finds Dawn on the ocean floor. "We should try again. Maybe I could scoop you up? She reaches down with a clubbed tentacle towards the sea urchin, intent on lifting her friend up and carrying both of them through the doorway again.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #628

Indoor Beach

"Okay, just...watch out. I might have poison or something," Dawn says.

Once they exit and enter again, they *both* shrink this time. (Sekhmet isn't turning into one of those giant moray eels that's 13 feet long). Sekhmet still is larger, however.
    Same as before, they quickly change shape; this time with Dawn becoming a cuttlefish and Sekhmet turning into a moray eel.

"Okay. I can swim and I'm not...too weird," the cuttlefish Dawn says.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

Indoor Beach

Although her arms and legs fuse into her body, leaving her utterly limbless, Sekhmet is relieved to be smaller this time. Once again, she marvels at how natural and comfortable the new form feels, like she's been an eel since she was born, and could be one for the rest of her life. She undulates forward, towards the reef. "I'm ready too, let's go."

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #630

Indoor Beach

Dawn swims down also.

Her skin color changes slightly as she goes down. "So what should we do? Hunt fish?" Because, again, Dawn has turned into a stealth-hunter. "Because that might be fun."

She reaches the coral reef and starts looking around with her weird w-shaped eyes.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.