New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 68: Dawn of a New Season (or two)

[Adventure Sewers]

The youth catches the tone, but misses the eye-rolling. With most drow that he's met thus far, this is about as close to friendly as they typically get. Drow are, by and large, not super friendly.

Lucas pulls out the wooden water bottle from the holder on his pack and gives it a hard flick!

And not it isn't a water bottle at all.

It's a stick. With one little branch coming off the side bearing a single leaf.

Lucas shakes it again and the tip begins glowing brightly!

Hmm...

Either he must be a wizard-

-or that's a magical stick.

Maybe both?

"How many and how big are we talking, sir?" he asks the half orc.

[Riftline Hub]

Zee doesn't go charging forward. Oh no.

Instead, she stops next to Eao, planing a hand on the machine and waiting for (him?) to recover.

"Are you going to be alright? You've been ERROR: CORRUPTEDing a whole bunch," she asks. Not quite concerned about the other robots just yet. They didn't have anyone guarding the entrance, so it's possible they haven't actually found it yet. And while there aren't a whole lot of devils working here, they likely have proven more formidable than typical train station employees would be.

They're a VERY strange bunch, honestly. A myriad of shapes, though all roughly humanoid and wearing similar train attendant uniforms. And also wearing frightening masks. Masks in grey, blue, red, green, and yellow. More of the first and second, fewer third and fourth. Very few of the fifth.

And one black.

The color seems to indicate the power and authority of the given devil. At the moment waves of mostly grey and blue devils are swarming the train staging area while other, more important devils are at a safer distance strategizing. The black devil, shaped like a bent old man with a messy ashe-grey mop of hair so vast that it looks more like a cloak than anything else watches from a raised office with a scowling oni-like face.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Troll in the Playground

Riftline Hub

"I am... fine." Eao replies. Its sword is back in its hand, from wherever it went before. "I need a marker. Something to show I am not one of my former kind." Otherwise, it could be subject to friendly fire from the devils. That would not be good.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-12-03 at 03:44 AM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Sewers]

Isaac grips his little mallet, looking at the surrounding area with distaste. Not only does it stink, they’re fighting spiders. Isaac doesn’t like bugs terribly much. And big spiders can be worse than other big bugs because they’re predators.
    He’s quiet for now but he expects this will be trouble.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #1114

[Riftline Hub]

"Hmm..." Zee hums aloud as she considers the machine.

Then?

She snaps her fingers!

She's got the perfect idea!

She takes of the hat she isn't wearing, reaches inside it, and withdraws another hat. This one a colorful little propeller beanie. The hat is then placed atop Eao's head, assuming the machine doesn't resist for some reason.

"There! All set. Do you have any idea how the robots might be getting in here? It looks like they're all coming out of those trains that are parked over there," she says, gesturing toward the pitched battle nearby. "Do you know if you guys have any way of detecting or interacting with stuff a few steps sideways in time? Because if not, I can probably sneak up on them. People often forget to look up, but then NEVER think of looking inways."

Probably because they don't have eyes for peering perpendicular to reality.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Troll in the Playground

Riftline Hub

Eao doesn't seem to mind the goofy hat. "There will be a teleportation device somewhere behind their lines." The question about time travel is asked. "It would be risky. Some units are equipped with chronoscopic sensors. They would probably detect you coming."

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #1116

[Riftline Hub]

"Really?" Zee replies, sounding a bit surprised. "That's actually kind of refreshing. Usually people don't notice the rest of me unless a smoosh them like I did with those robots that were chasing you."

She looks to Eao, then back at the train.

"If they can see stuff that's hanging around outside of three dimensional space then they probably haven't noticed me yet since I'm folded in on myself right now. But if I drift out of here and jaunt on over, there's no way they'll miss me. I'm absolutely gigantic, Eao. I've never exactly measured myself before since I don't have a tape measure that long, but I'm pretty sure two of me stacked on top of each other would count as a mountain."

This is why Maph helpfully asked if Zee had gained weight the first time he saw her.

So.

Time to make choices.

"Even if they saw me coming, it might still be easier than trying to fight our way onto the train," Zee muses. "It looks like the devils have been doing that without too much luck."

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Adventure Sewers]

The Drow Priestess scowls, grumbling to herself. "How large are the spiders here normally? The size of a dog? A human? A horse?" The fact that she's not sounding worried or impressed seems to imply that horse sized spiders are not a foreign or disturbing concept to her. "And what do you mean not moving normally? Were they aggressive? Sluggish? Dancing?"

She narrows her eyes distrustfully towards the direction the half-orc had indicated. Her life in the Underdark in her home realm had left her with heightened senses in darkness, and the dim light of the sewer doesn't do much to hamper her vision. "The left you say? Well then..."

The Drow then leans in a bit closer to the half-orc, a coy smirk spreading across her pretty face. "Why don't you be a dear, then, and lead the way? Surely a big, strong man such as yourself won't be afraid of any risk~?" she purrs coquettishly. She's totally not trying to pressure or fluster him into being bait instead of her or the kiddos, nope...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Troll in the Playground

Riftline Hub

Eao nods, "They'll be using one or more teleportation devices to bring in reinforcements. O don't see armored units, so they're small, probably about the size and shape of a phone booth. Whatever we try, we should move quickly before they reach critical numbers."
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-12-03 at 08:28 PM.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #1119

[Riftline Hub]

"Okay, we're drifting over then. If we try fighting our way in they'll spot us anyway. At least this way we'll pop in right in the middle of them. Get ready!"

Then Zee will reach out to take Eao by the arm and drag him off sideways in time.

Should all go according to plan? The experience should be... pretty strange. The machine's sensors will probably be recording all sorts of absolute nonsense. Or maybe nothing at all. And the view from outside reality makes it seem as if everything is inside out. It's incredibly unnerving. There will ALSO be a vague impression of something incomprehensibly huge. Eao will likely have a very strange impression of the mountain-sized creature. Like... it SHOULD be able to clearly perceive it from where he's located, and yet he can't. It's almost as through the Information is being twisted and muted to prevent it from being properly processed.

There's a good reason for this.

All empyreans are fractal. Every piece of them is also them in all their wholeness. Including abstract pieces, such as an image of them stored in memory. Even the perception of a Bronze Host empyrean is incredibly hazardous.

It would appear as though Yezekiel, Sanctified One of Perseverance, saw fit NOT to expose Eao to the full force of her Glory.

Some of the other machines will probably see her coming, though. And unlike Eao, protected as he is within a pocket of warped Information, they won't be quite so fortunate. Unless they happen to be equipped with with cognetohazard filters, they may suddenly find Yezekiel taking up residence within their memory and rapidly mutating all the Information encoded within into more of herself.

The Drift takes a few seconds at most, and then Zee is safely folded in on herself again, standing inside of the train car more robots keep popping out into. Probably with Eao nearby!

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Sewers]

"There were two or three of them, big as say a big dog? Do they get bigger? The ones we get down here are like... dinner plate sized, usually. They were moving... strangely... like skittery... sporadically." The Maintenance Worker explains.

The the drowess suggests he goes first. "Hah! I'm not going back down there. You're the spider expert, and you're armed. It's not far down that tunnel."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Troll in the Playground

Riftline Hub

Zee's mental attack is unfortunately ineffective. Although the guardian robots here saw her coming, anything with the capability to see through time also is very heavily shielded against informational threats. The defense is supposed to be used against mortal hackers, but a meddling angel should be blocked as well. The cage isn't in this car, but there are several robots, armed with iron pikes and heavy iron armor in addition to their laser rifles. They advance steadily forward, firing lasers and jabbing with the enchanted blades of their polearms at Zee, who is by far the greater threat here. Eao stumbles back into existence not far behind her, and raises its sword to rush at the nearest robot.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #1122

[Adventure Sewers]

"I'll go first," Lucas, the nerdy looking human teen, says.

And that's exactly what he'll do.

Stick raised, he moves further down the tunnel toward the as yet unseen arachnid menace.

Maybe the wizardy looking kid shouldn't go first?

His friend has a fancy hammer. And the drow has honest to goodness armor!

So why is Lucas going first?

Probably because he wants to look brave and impress the pretty elf lady.

[Riftline Hub]

Mental attack? Oh no. No no no. That wasn't a mental attack. It's a cognitive one. See a medusa? Turn to stone. See a Bronze Host empyrean? Your head blossoms into a bouquet of lampreys. The mere act of perception is hazardous, which is why creatures in Yezekiel's class are so incredibly dangerous. Thankfully there aren't any stomping around the Nexus all willy nilly. These are the sorts of creatures that are typically asleep or imprisoned.

Regardless!

Lasers and stabbing.

Normally a situation like this would quickly overwhelm. Defenses would be broken. Armor sundered. Flesh rent. But not so against one who is dauntless. Not just dauntless, but dauntlessness.

The only warning is a slight, glowing nimbus around Zee moments before she ignites like a newborn star, great pinioned wings sprouting from her shoulders, hips, and ear.

A true heroine appears.

Like a comet, a draconic tail trails behind her as she dives amidst the weapons, yet she is not cut down. A thrust dodged. Another grazes her, sending sending fire and light curling away from her like a solar flare. A third would have struck true, but intense magnetism pulls the stroke off course into little more than a minor scratch. The magnetic field wasn't here before. The angel is adapting to their attacks.

Lasers boil the air around her, but striking her proves difficult. Near misses, the dazzling light she sheds making aim difficult. One bolt dead on, blocked a wing, searing the star-flesh. A second and a third, but the lasers are scattering on her intense corona now, sapping the weapons of their full strength.

And now?

A counter attack.

Zee sweeps a wing through the crowd of machines like a scythe, pinions outstretched, impossibly sharp, and singing with enough raw arcane power to sublimate steel. Where the feathers cut through either wall of the train car a molten trail of slag and melted metal is left in its wake, upholstery spontaneously igniting from mere proximity.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

Adventure Sewers

Isaac rolls his eyes.
    ”Lucas I’m gonna give this one to you, but the only reason we’re not putting the tank up first is because taking a hit will get my shoulders and/or butt stuck in this little space.” he says, clapping his friend on the back.
    Really, is Lucas getting distracted by the elf lady? Isaac has noticed his friend getting distracted by girls more than even he does. Which only proves some of his opinions about his friend to Isaac.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

Riftline Hub

As is the norm in large battles, a lot happens at once.
    Zee's attack whiffs. The walls are slashed, the uphold ablaze, but all of the robots dodged in some way. That's the issue with fighting precognitives, after all. Everything is too slow. They continue their assault, switching weapons periodically to avoid Zee's defenses.
    The next thing is that the fire the attack so helpfully started sets off the train's fire suppression system, which has been modified. The water that sprays forth has been sanctified to the powers of Law and Order, and it will eat away at creatures of Chaos. Which means it probably won't do much to Zee. On the other hand, Eao's body is blackened and pitted where the water touches it, and it seems to be fighting to stay upright.
    The third thing is that with a mighty impact that nearly knocks the train car over, something tears through both walls, leaving ragged, gaping holes in its wake. A quick glance through the new opening will reveal a group of robots reloading an oversized railgun for a second shot. They might not miss again.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #1125

[Riftline Hub]

Dodging really cool attacks is super rude robots, you should be ashamed of yourself. Sadly the sphere of Time isn't something within Zee's reach, so she can't counter shenanigans with shenanigans. What she DOES have access to, however, is overwhelming scenery-destroying firepower.

Sprinklers begin sprinkling!

That does... yeah.

That doesn't do a great deal to the seraphim. While the Eternal Game has very little to do with the dichotomy of Order vs Chaos, if you had to try to fit things like Zee into a box they would without question fall on the Order side of things. She does note that poor Eao is having a pretty bad time, though. She'll have to see what she can do about that.

More weapons fire bears down on Zee, though striking her still proves difficult. She's fast and while not pre-cognative, she reacts instantly with certainty and decisiveness. It doesn't help that she's aggravatingly resilient, unsurprising given her nature. Seeing that a more traditional attack is avoided, she instead opts for something that is MUCH harder to dodge. She thrusts her four main wings outward, causing them to vanish from view. At the same time, centered inside the robots, comes a series of violent explosions of raw arcane force and super-heated, razor edged feathers.

...there's a slight cheat, this time.

When choosing the points for the blasts, she hedges her bets. Not just where the robots are, but based on the Information they're processing where she suspects they also will be given how they had chosen to dodge the last attack.

Several blasts rip through the sprinkler system, likely resulting in steam shooting out of the roof and into the hub. Several blasts rip through space around the railgun as well which... probably isn't good for it.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Adventure Sewer]

The Drow makes a grumpy frown, clearly not impressed with the half-orc's lack of initiative and his allowance for the youths to take the lead. "Step aside, children," she says, likely to all three of them, before sighing exasperatedly as she tries to take the lead. "I will be the first in line, lest you risk being eaten or worse." She draws her mace, the black metal engraved with runes of Lolth's praise and favor, and also sporting several sharp spikes and flanges to increase its brutal effectiveness. Holding it aloft in one hand, she runs the other hand along the adjacent wall, for support and balance as she makes her way deeper into the sewer.

Onwards to spider shenanigans!

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Sewer]

Around the 90 degree bend in the tunnel to the left, it's quite dark out of range of the half-orc's headlamp. This isn't a problem for our priestess, though. The world fades from color to shades of black and white as her darkvision kicks in. Carefully, she'll have to step over a dropped toolbox on the floor, and then, looking up, there they were.

Three spiders, about the size of large dogs. She may recognize them as the sort of spider that is raised for it's silk, not a particularly venomous breed, even if they can give a nasty bite. They are acting strangely, eerily silent, no chittering of a happy spider. They're crawling towards the light, but their movment is stuttering, shuddering, not natural. Lastly she may notice from their joints coming white wisps of some material. Was it silk? Something else?

The spiders make no move to attack, just slowly moving forward towards the light.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Adventure Sewer]

"Oh, that's disappointing. Silk-spiders, typically docile, but don't let them get on your face," she frowns, furrowing her brow. "They like to lay eggs in the nasal cavity of large mammals," she lies through her teeth just to make her companions squirm.

Cautiously approaching, she narrows her eyes at the strange wisps coming from their joints. "Something's awry. They're ill, or... perhaps tainted by something?" She tilts her head, trying to see where the strange fabric trails off to, keeping her mace held aloft in case she must defend herself.

19. - Top - End - #1129

[Adventure Sewer]

Oh.

Eeww. Lucas shivers at the idea of nose-eggs. A million spiders crawling out of your nose would be awful.

"Is that spider dandruff?" Lucas wonders aloud. "Do spiders GET dandruff? Some of them have hair."

They don't have THAT kind of hair, Lucas.

Maybe if you spent less time thinking about video games and more time paying attention in biology you might know about this stuff.

One way or the other, he gives his stick a firm shake!

The light shining from the end suddenly becomes MUCH brighter. Mostly because it just caught on fire. Flammable, sticky oil is dripping from the end of the stick, dropping onto the floor in little burning globs. More light is helpful. So is fire just in case a spider needs to be lit aflame.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2019-12-04 at 11:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Sewers]

Isaac snorts.
    ”No, they don’t. Most spiders don’t have the ovipositor needed to put an egg in a still living host.” he says with a wave of his hand.
    Lucas has their light handled for now. Isaac rolls his hammer in his hands, expecting trouble at any moment. And maybe getting his personal barriers up while he still has time to do that.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Titan in the Playground

[New Inside Embassy]

"The pattern is very interesting," Michalson agrees, studying Octavia carefully. Well, it's now or never. She's right, he needs to cooperate with someone here to get to the bottom of this. "In more ways than one. A person on the inside would be very useful to me, indeed. I could tell her, for instance, that my entire line of questioning was meant to establish this very pattern. Soldiers, conservative ones, arriving in Inside, each with a plausible reason to do so, just as the meme virus sweeps the city."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Sewers]

The spiders react to the sudden firelight, by moving closer towards it, in stilted movements, sometimes tripping and falling. The little strands coming from them break off a bit and float through the stale air.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Adventure Sewers]

The Drow narrows her eyes, a scowl on her lips. "Something is very wrong here. I think they're ill. Or infected with something."

She grimaces as the strange silk floating through the air. "Don't let that touch you. I fear it may have something to do with their behavior. Avoid contact..." she warns. "Perhaps burn the strings? If it harms the spiders, then so be it, for Lolth's mercy comes for them and all alike one day." Cheerful gal, ain't she?

24. - Top - End - #1134

[Adventure Sewers]

Okay.

So.

That sounds an awful lot like 'burn the spiders' to Lucas.

So that's what he's going to do.

He gives his torch a flick toward one of the shambling arachnids, sending a blob of sticky burning fluid wobbling through the air toward one of the nasty things. Should it splat against the spider, it'll cling fast while burning vigorously. The stick is practically a moltov on a stick. Just without a glass bottle involved.

It probably isn't QUITE as potent as your average wizard's firebolt.

BUT given that it's an actual mass of sticky, burning fluid it'll set things on fire MUCH more vigorously than your average pyro-blast.

And just to be safe? He scoots away a bit just in case one of those things lunges at him. They don't look very lungey, but it pays to be safe.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Sewers]

Isaac shrugs.
    ”Sorry. I was never good at fire.” he says nonchalantly. Instead he swings his mallet at the wall with an exaggerated windup...yet there is very little impact. At least until the bricks shift and shudder, as if something was passing behind them...and a bolt of force rockets out of the wall from underneath one of the spiders crawling along it, as if Isaac had struck it and not the wall at all.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Sewers]

When the globuls of sticky fiery liquid hits the lead spider, it catches the wisps of silk and burns quite nicely. The spider lets out a pathetic shriek and crumples, curling up in the way that dead spiders do when they no longer have the life in them to keep their legs straight.

The spider on the wall is thrown across the sewer tunnel by the force of the blow to its underside, and smacks into the far wall. Its carapace cracks, releasing a cloud of silky strands into the air. It falls to the ground and tries to get up again, but most of its legs aren't functioning now.

The third spider crawls dangerously close to its burning compatriot. Heedless of the danger, it crawls right on top. It too soon is aflame.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Adventure Sewer]

The drow raises her free hand to pull the cowl of her cloak up over her mouth. "More of those strands," she warns as the other spider strikes the far wall. "That's not normal. They're clearly infected by something, though at this point I'd say it may be best to just like the whole damn place aflame."

She glances back at the half-orc. "Can we do that?"

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Sewers]

The half-orc has come peeking around the corner, since there's no signs of anyone being attacked. He wrinkles his nose at the burning spiders.

"Let me get my toolbox there, and you can torch the place. It's all stone and metal down here, not much to burn. Sometimes there's pockets of gas, but you would've known about that the moment you lit a fire." He makes a gesture. Kaboom.

The maintenance worker walks over to pick up his tools where he dropped them and will retreat around the corner again.

The spider that had been thrown against the wall was still trying futilely to stand, sending up little puffs of silken strands with each stuttered kick.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Leaving Fountain Square]
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Jack grins, takes Anchor's hand and follows, though as she's following she's not sure where she's going.

Behind the burger bar, near the pile of bones, the dwarf's muttering continues. "Teach, it says now. Teach what? To whom? And where? Teach VIGIL the value of properly applied and activated scrimshaw, I think. Hmm. Hm. That do make sense. I think it's time to go. Yes, off to VIGIL, to adorn their bones. What if they don't have any fallen we can use to show our skills? We were told to teach them, and we will. They will have a candidate for our efforts shortly after we arrive, I think." I'm not sure how much Anchor's shadow hears, however.
    I think the last thing the shadow heard was "It's time to go", which happened to be true for it as well. Funny how these things work out. If the deep dwarf is planning to kill a VIGILante to carve their bones, well....

Grinning as well, Anchor spends a while racing through the city streets, enjoying just moving, and having someone's hand in hers.
    Her shadow doesn't ever quite rejoin her feet, zooming along the sides of buildings, hopping over other shadows cast along the walls. Perhaps Jack's shadow starts to remember its earlier unruliness and fly free of her as well.
    They go on until they come to another city square, and it becomes clear from how she slows and stops that Anchor is a bit lost. Perhaps not lost where she planned, or expected, to be.

At the center of the perfectly square, there's a perfectly circular pit in the stone, that drops away farther than one can see. The other roads leading into the square all turn into stairways when you go along them a little ways, stairways that wrap around the buildings and go nowhere but up. The same is true, somehow, of the road behind them, though they didn't come downstairs to get here. Across the square a sign advertises the Lower Inside Dehydrated Aquarium. Around the corner stands a crumbling little graveyard. Perilously close to the center of the pit, a pushcart is doing brisk business selling coffee.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-12-07 at 02:24 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Orc in the Playground

Left Fountain Square

Jack's shadow does start to stray, but not too far. Whilst they're moving so fast, it's a little worried about getting lost.

"Oh, I think we're lost. A... dehydrated aquarium? That seems... A little pointless, really." Jack stays put, though, staring around at the rest of the square. She hasn't quite realised that the road behind them has changed so it's no longer the road they used to get here. If she did, she'd be more worried.

As for the dwarf, who knows what they'll get up to? They certainly don't, right now. They have plans, but they're not sharing those plans with their other half.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!