Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1107
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

Really like what's going on here. I *tried* to look at all builds so I do not repeat. I think I don't, feel free to correct me.

*Korg- the push*

A cow that made an accord with her cloud of flies, they can pester her, but they must obey- and push push push!

Minotaur battlemaster/swarm keeper

Start stats 17 13 12 8 16 8 (tasha for 2 str and 1 wis, point buy)
    The basic trick here, is you can knock things, far far away, every turn, in melee. Comes online at 4th, apex at 9th. She is best used to push enemies to hazards from far far away, where they think they are safe. Can create some herself.
    Levels 1-6 fighter battlemaster- defense, pushing attack(choose any other maneuvers you like)
    At 4th take crusher(+1 str), at 6th take tough(that 12 con hurts). Or wis +2.
    7-9 ranger swarmkeeper. Choose any 2nd fighting style really. Spells- I thing Entangle and hunter's mark are a must. There are a ton of good choices for the rest.
    10th ranger again- choose mobile so you can reach pushed targets with more ease, to push again, or tough.
    From here you can go fighter or ranger, i'd take 2 more fighter for another asi then go ranger 8 for more spells and swarmkeeper stuff. Spike growth can really hurt, you can launch a foe with one strike a distance of 35 ft(so you do not chase him into the spikes) resulting in taking 7*2d4 damage. Decent. A

This build can come to it's apex sooner, using only swarmkeeper till 5th then switching to fighter, but I thought playing him without heavy armor is a serious pain
    Also you can go 1 fighter- 5 swarm keeper- more fighter.
    That gets you heavy armor, but delaying crusher and extra attack for 1 level, which hurts.
    It Depends what level you are starting at.

Distance calcs-

At 4th level you can push- 5(crusher)+10(hammering horns), no resources. Add pushing attack to get a whopping 40 feet push a turn.

At 9th level you can push, with no resources, 5(crusher)+10(hammering horns)+15(swarm)= 30 feet. It's hard to pull all of this off-
    You must-
    Hit first attack- crusher and swarm activate.
    Enemy fails str save(ranger spell dc)
    Need to run up 20 feet to the enemy and hit 2nd time.
    Immediately use hammering horns with bonus action.
    Enemy needs to fail 2nd saving throw and be pushed another 10 ft.

But- 30 is a ton. And you can try this every single turn. 5 feet push is almost a guarantee, just need to hit once. More likely you'll pull off also the swarm/hammering horns, so likely 15-20 ft. A turn.
    If you need more push- use pushing attack on second hit, gives you 15 more to a maximum of 45 ft per turn.
    Action surge to dash/attack more for ridicules pushing outside of the map.

This girl uses a maul and heavy armor, hits for decent damage and can use swarm+maneuvers+hunter's mark for extra damage.
    She is a melee control beast with manuevers and spells like entangle, ensnaring strike and web. Good dc's all around too.

Variation- more size less push- go rune knight instead of battle master so you can push huge creatures by going large. You miss on pushing attack.

It's a tough call which variation to choose because huge creatures almost finishes this strat if you can't go large. But this gal has lot's to do other than pushing because of ranger spells and maneuvers/runes. Keep in mind that swarm can push regardless to size, so you can still get some push on huge+ creatures even without rune knight.

Another option is going duergar battlemaster for enlarge(instead of rune knight's enlarge), and grabbing shield master instead of +2 wis. you get all the stuff this way, but, I don't like this because I rather have hammering horns and 18 wis for the swarm push dc, and shield master is a feat you need to take, hurts this asi hungry character a lot.

Puuuuuuush!
    Last edited by Houster; 2021-04-15 at 01:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

The Eye of Annihilation
    a.k.a. The Oxymoronic Spell-Caster

Special thanks to Citadel97501 who used the same concept behind the Oxymoronic Meat-Grinder build as a basis for a Huge-sized caster putting themselves in the middle of a fight, and using radius-ranged spells for maximum effect. They started with Rune Knight/Divine Soul and Iíve thrown together a few more details to make it a fully-fledged build.

Race: V.Human (Feat: Magic Initiate - Wizard)
    Class: Fighter 3 / Sorcerer 3+
    Subclasses: Rune Knight / Divine Soul

Starting Stats (without TCoE):
    CHA should be as high as possible as you need your Spell Save to be reliably difficult to beat. STR at least 13 for multiclassing and for wearing reasonable Heavy Armour. CON is going to be important too, both for HP and for concentration checks. Everything else is expendable - you may even consider a 15/8/15/8/8/15 point buy if you really want to be as lean as possible.

ASIís:
    You canít go wrong by rounding off your stats with the half-feats - Fey Touched and Shadow Touched are good as they come with extra spells, and these can be crucial to expanding your repertoire if you go heavily into Divine Soulís ability to pick up Cleric Spells instead of Sorcerer ones.
    Feats in general are going to be hugely important, and none more so than War Caster to ensure that you can maintain concentration. Heavy Armour Master will likely be very, very useful, as will Alert for the bonus to Initiative. Depending on how you intend to finish the build, Metamagic Adept may also be up for consideration.

The Build:
    Broadly speaking itís a little bit more efficient to start as Fighter 1 and multiclass into Sorcerer at level 4. Early on you get the benefit of hitpoints and proficiencies from Fighter to give you strong effectiveness between levels 1-3, and your combination of Large size/area-of-effect spells immediately becomes potent when you reach level 4 and go Rune Knight 3/Sorcerer 1.
    That being said, though you lose out on Heavy Armour proficiency if you start with Sorcerer there may be a good reason that you would prefer CON and CHA saves instead of STR and CON so Sorcerer 1/Fighter 3 is an option.

Make your choice, but either way by level 6 you end up as Fighter 3 / Sorcerer 3 which is pretty much the build and everything else is just window-dressing. Youíre a Rune Knight so you can be Large upon command, and as a Sorcerer you know Enlarge/Reduce as a 2nd level spell - combine them to become Huge sized, and you then start looking for spells that have just doubled (or more) in efficiency because they draw their range as a radius from your position.

Starting with Cantrips: From Sorcerer you can take Thunderclap and/or Sword Burst that affects every square around you - 16 in total, when youíre Huge. You also have access to Sorcerer spells like Earth Tremor and Thunderwave - each of these has a range measured from your position, which as a Huge creature is 3 times wider and deeper than usual. At early levels these are all easy, Instantaneous spells - if you want, you can even Action Surge and throw out two in a single round and make sure you get the job done.
    Besides that however, you are a Divine Soul - Not only can you pick up higher level Sorcerer spells like Globe of Invulnerability, but you can also take spells from the Cleric list such as: Word of Radiance (Cantrip), Aura of Vitality, Spirit Guardians (both 3rd level), Aura of Life, Aura of Purity (4th), Anti-magic Field, Holy Aura and Control Weather (all 8th level), each of which is ranged in terms of radius from your position.
    Being Huge sized grossly inflates the number of creatures you can affect - a 15ft radius for a Medium sized creature will cover a 7x7 area for 48 squares, but being Huge means you instead cover a 9x9 area for 72 affected squares.

You may have noticed a flaw in this plan - if youíre concentrating on Enlarge, how can you also concentrate on Spirit Guardians or Globe of Invulnerability? The answer is: Cheat.

As a Variant Human, you can select the Magic Initiate feat and pick Wizard as your class in order to select the Find Familiar spell. It is perfectly possible to imbue a Ring of Spell Storing with charges of your Enlarge/Shrink spell and have your Familiar concentrate on the spell for you - ďany creatureĒ can use a Ring of Spell Storing, and according to Adventurerís League rules a Familiar can attune to an item provided that you personally have an attunement slot available.
    Summon a toad, snake, or similarly discrete familiar, have them hide inside your pocket or breastplate out of harmís way, and let them concentrate on Enlarge while you concentrate on something like Spirit Guardians - you will need to do it this way around otherwise youíll be making yourself a bigger size but the radius of the damaging spell will be measured from your Tiny companion (who incidentally canít see you, so they canít protect you from being affected by the spell!)

Net result: You are Huge, heavily armoured with a shield, have both proficiency and Advantage on your concentration check, and can hammer out a ring of Radiant, Force or Thunder damage every round, while also choosing between inflicting every enemy around you with persistent damage or while persistently buffing every ally within a 45ft diameter as opposed to the normal 30ft.

And then it gets better when we remember that as a Sorcerer, we have Metamagic.
    You cast Word of Radiance, but instead of covering the 5x5 (16 squares) squares around your Huge footprint you want to improve that to cover 5x5 + 6x6 (38 squares) instead? Distant Spell applies to your radius because Range: 5ft is still a ranged spell. (Although note that this only applies to some Instantaneous spells - the persistent ones like Spirit Guardians have a stated range of Self and the radius is the effect of the spell, rather than the Ďrangeí of it.)
    This is just for a cantrip, which affects the 5ft around you. If you do the same thing with a bigger spell - like Earth Tremor for example - your effective coverage goes from 24 squares (10ft/2 squares radius drawn from a medium creature) up to 33 squares (10ft/2 squares radius from a Huge creature).
    And then add Metamagic; a Distant Spellíd Earth Tremor goes up to 20ft in radius, which from a Huge creature covers 11x11 squares, affecting up to 105 squares potentially full of targets.

Want to turn Thunderclap into Acid-clap or Fire-clap to get around crowds of annoying resistances? Transmuted Spell. Want to throw out three Words of Radiance in a single round? Quickened Spell, then Action Surge. You can even make them Careful Spells so that you donít accidentally brutalise your entire party, their pets and friendly NPCs. YíknowÖ If thatís what you want.

Besides that, getting into position to use this insane aura of yours is far easier as a Sorcerer than for your melee counterparts. While Divine Soul gives us the innate power of flight at level 14, before that we can manage our action economy with spells - Misty Step requires only a bonus action, so we can get our buffs going in safety, then Misty Step in (Bonus Action) before dropping two huge AoE spells with your Full action and then Action Surge.

Pro's of the Build: Viable from Level 4; even just being Large sized and casting radius-ranged cantrips adds more squares to your effective output. Before that, you're a very solid Fighter subclass so you're in little danger of getting hurt by trying to scratch and crawl through early Sorcerer levels with nothing to fall back upon. After that, you have a large range of all the usual Sorcerer/Divine Soul tricks and you're just making them go wider, better and further.

Con's of the Build: Theory-Crafting is very much in play. While it's nice to imagine that you'll one day find a convenient 3x3 space on a battlefield that is also surrounded by enemies 4-deep on all sides, realistically you'll never see that and you'll have to settle for dreaming of What Could Be.
    Additionally, the build can rely quite heavily on finding a specific magic item - in a low-magic game, or one where your GM just doesn't want you to have it, you'll either have to enlist an allied player to help you reach Huge size if you also want to concentrate on those persistent spells or otherwise stick to doing it yourself and only using instant spells.

Progressing the Build:

Fighter (Rune Knight) 4 / Sorcerer (Divine Soul) 16
    Probably the simplest and most direct version of the build - you have all your ASIís as well as Level 8 spells for Holy Aura, which is potentially great. Sadly thereís no way to retain Rune Knight and get your final subclass ability, which comes online at Sorcerer 18, but if you really wanted to you could swap an ASI for an extra metamagic option and level 9 spells by going Fighter 3 / Sorcerer 17.

Fighter (Rune Knight) 3 / Bard (College of Lore) 17
    Whenever youíre stealing spells from other classes, Bard is always top of the list. Being College of Lore gets Magical Secrets at Bard 6 rather than 10 which sort-of makes up for being unable to get it at Bard 18 - As above weíd lose Rune Knight because weíd need 3+18 levels.
    The advantage of this build is that youíre not just locked into Sorcerer or Clericís AoE spells - thereís Aura of Vitality, Speak With Plants and Anti-life Shell from Druid, and Circle of Power and Destructive Wave from Paladin too, if you want to try something different. Again you can tweak the balance to Fighter 4 / Bard 16 if you want to swap another ASI for Song of Rest (d12); I think thatís worthwhile, but it might make a difference depending on your role in the party.

Fighter (Rune Knight) 3 / Wizard (Evoker) 6 / Sorcerer (Divine Soul) 11
    Bit wonky this one and requires a very strange stat line for multiclassing, but it does let us access Potent Cantrip. This is pretty great because even though Word of Radiance is a Cleric cantrip, we can still make it cause damage even on a successful save for extra reliability, as well as a few useful Wizard spells for when we want to save our precious Sorcerer slots.
    It also gives you direct access to Find Familiar, meaning that V.Human isnít so important if youíd prefer to play something more unusual, and frankly is overall more practical - the only self-centered Area of Effect spells after Globe of Invulnerability (Sorcerer 11) are at spell level 8, including Holy Aura and Antimagic Field, the latter of which switches off your Enlarge and your Familiar anyway so itís not a big loss if you donít get that far.

Fighter (Rune Knight) 4 / Sorcerer (Divine Soul) 4 / Paladin 12
    Iím including this one not because itís an especially strong spellcaster (though your AoE cantrips are still in full effect) but because of what else comes with it. You get full ASIís and multiclassing from Fighter/Sorcerer into Paladin has all the right stat synergy, but along with a little more melee capability you pick up passive Auras that improve their reach with your size.
    As well as the default Aura of Protection and Aura of Courage from Paladin, noteworthy ones include Aura of the Sentinel (Oath of the Watchers) for a bonus to the partyís initiative, Aura of Devotion (Oath of Devotion) to protect from Charming, and Aura of Warding (Oath of the Ancients) to give more allies Resistance to damage from spells.

Sorcerer (Divine Soul) 14 / Druid (Circle of the Moon) 6
    Things are starting to get weird, but bare with me - if weíre making a silly build, we might as well see it through to the end.
    Hereís how this works: Being a level 6 Moon Druid lets you wildshape into CR2 creatures, which includes the Giant Elk. These guys are already Huge sized, so if you wildshape and then have your Familiar cast Enlarge upon you, youíre working with a Gargantuan footprint which is 20ft by 20ft (4x4 squares).
    Although when wildshaped you canít cast Instant spells like Word of Radiance, you can continue concentrating on spells that you cast while in your humanoid form, like Spirit Guardians, so that your 20x20 footprint combined with a 15ft radius lets your spell cover an astounding area of 10x10 - that 86 squares affected, after discounting the 16 that you are standing upon.
    Because thatís a thing you would definitely need to do, someday.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-04-30 at 04:32 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    In theory you could be a Level 1 Fighter with STR/DEX of 10 and multiclass out (which you canít do if you start as a Sorcerer with STR/DEX 10)
    Just a nit: the multiclass requirements are actually bidirectional, presumably to avoid this "hack".

Prerequisites
    To qualify for a new class, you must meet the ability score prerequisites for both your current class and your new one, as shown in the Multiclassing Prerequisites table.
    Edit: Also:
    That being said, though you lose out on Heavy Armour proficiency if you start with Sorcerer there may be a good reason that you would prefer CON and CHA saves instead of STR and DEX so Sorcerer 1/Fighter 3 is an option.
    Fighters get Str/Con save proficiency, not Str/Dex. (Notably, both Fighter and Sorcerer offer Con save proficiency, which seems relevant here.)

PS: fun concept!
    Last edited by x3n0n; 2021-04-21 at 09:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1054

Griffon

I think I might have been using a third-party summary of multiclassing out of laziness, instead of just finding and opening my book. I'll fix those things now. Thank you, much obliged.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I think I might have been using a third-party summary of multiclassing out of laziness, instead of just finding and opening my book. I'll fix those things now. Thank you, much obliged.
    A good one that I have found is the {scrubbed}

Quote Originally Posted by Houster View Post
    Minotaur battlemaster/swarm keeper
    Question, what minotaur are you? There are a total of three. One each from Theros, Ravnica, and Amonkhet. And they are all different.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-23 at 04:21 PM.
    I steal Signatures, and like General Grevious, add them to my collection. Or, I would, if there wasn't a forum limit to signature length.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Damn Scary Wraith, you took that basic idea all the way to 11. :), thank you for the shout out as well.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jon talks a lot View Post
    Question, what minotaur are you? There are a total of three. One each from Theros, Ravnica, and Amonkhet. And they are all different.
    theros and ravnica are identical except for flavor text. Amonkhet is unofficial content.

8. - Top - End - #1058

Griffon

A good one that I have found is the {scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {scrubbed}

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501
    thank you for the shout out as well.
    It was my pleasure.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-23 at 04:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The multiclass requirements are in each class link directly below the title.
    I steal Signatures, and like General Grevious, add them to my collection. Or, I would, if there wasn't a forum limit to signature length.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Any suggestions for a Divination Wizard dip or full build? I am thinking that a build based on controlling through save or suck spells would be interested for the next game, I play in? I am also interested in something with the Gloomstalker Ranger and if there is anyway to combine the two effectively consider me very interested :)

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Any suggestions for a Divination Wizard dip or full build? I am thinking that a build based on controlling through save or suck spells would be interested for the next game, I play in? I am also interested in something with the Gloomstalker Ranger and if there is anyway to combine the two effectively consider me very interested :)
    Maybe a Halfling Diviner with Lucky feat multiclassed into Bard for Cutting Words? Iím playing a Goblin Gloomstalker Ranger with Urchin background and our party is not missing a Rogue at all.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Any suggestions for a Divination Wizard dip or full build? I am thinking that a build based on controlling through save or suck spells would be interested for the next game, I play in?
    The halfling that stacks every dice manipulation ability it can onto a Diviner seems to be everyone's first idea (it seems to come up in every Diviner thread). However, I personally don't recommend doing this. It's not more than the sum of its parts (e.g. synergistic), because Portent replaces the roll before you get to see if things like halfling luck applies. All those dice manipulation investments are no more valuable on a Diviner than they'd be on anyone else (in fact, I'd say they might be more useful on another PC than they are on you).

You'll also want to learn your way around the Divination spells on your list, as you are strongly rewarded for using them with your Matryoshka Doll spell slots.

Mind Spike can be used as a sort of Cantrip Plus.

Locate Object is useful to a clever player for specifying a "general" object to gather information about your surroundings or detect foes. Locate Object only tells you distance and direction... but if you know that from two points (just move a bit to the side), you can triangulate precise position (no fancy Ludic math or anything needed, just sort of mentally extend the two direction lines out until they meet. Anyone can do it).

True Seeing is really good with Expert Divination -- use it to see through a vision blocker or make an ally (or multiple allies) do it.

Tasha's adds the very useful Divination and Augury spells to your repertoire.

Even if a Divination spell has no native upcasting effects, you can basically think of it as "you can use this spell an extra time" as an upcast option. So for example, you can cast True Seeing out of a 7th then 6th to affect two party members, then cast Darkness and have them both get Advantage on all attacks / Disadvantage to be hit. That sort of thing.

Straight Wizard is great. If you want to multiclass, Cleric 1 is a good bet. In general Wizards should try to keep their multiclass dips small, since your spell progression is so powerful.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2021-04-23 at 02:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowhelm
    Your builds and build approach has been inspirational to me when making my characters (...) Every one of your posts I've seen has also seemed considered, rational, and polite.
    Some of my Stuff:
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Resistance Data in MM, Volo's, MToF

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ravnica I think. I don't know any besides 1 I have in an app here.... Anyway it must have the hammering horns feature.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Evaar View Post
    So with the preview of the Genie Patron, I wanted to highlight that it offers a different spin on the Celestial Generalist.

You lose:
    1) The healing options, both spells and the Healing Light feature, which are substantial losses
    2) A couple cantrips (Light and Sacred Flame - not critical losses)
    3) The other options from the Celestial spell list, including Flaming Sphere, Lesser and Greater Restoration, Revivify as potentially very useful standouts
    4) The temporary hit points from Celestial Resilience
    5) The Cheat Death feature from Searing Vengeance

If you pick a Dao patron (which I think is the best combo for this), you get:
    1) To combine Spike Growth with Repelling Blast for ridiculous damage combos with the proper setup (and if we want to get really dumb, also take Grasp of Hadar to push, then pull, then push again on a single target once Eldritch Blast hits three times)
    2) Bludgeoning resist for those times you're working as a tank
    3) Limited Wish, which doesn't come until late, but would allow you to poach, for example, Tenser's Transformation if you REALLY want to flip into tank mode (although note Shillelagh still only works for 1 minute and can't be recast, so loses substantial effectiveness after 1 minute... but I would note that Tenser's seems better for a build like this than it does for a Wizard, even a Bladesinger, due to your limited spell slots)
    4) Once per turn add proficiency bonus to damage, which means it works whether you're at range with Eldritch Blast or in melee with Booming Blade; i.e. it doesn't overly incentivize you to maximize the number of attacks you make per turn
    5) Once per day safe short rests that only take 10 minutes, so you get a quick recharge on your spells
    6) Every other thing the Celestial Generalist does
    7) Thematic consistency for being able to empower a beating stick and do extra bludgeoning damage and causing explosions when badguys step off the glyph that appeared in the stone beneath them after you bonked them on the noggin (i.e. reflavoring booming blade)
    8) 30 ft. flying speed not using Concentration for 10 minutes, ProficiencyBonus times per day, activated as a bonus action
    9) Oh and Wish as a 9th level Mystic Arcanum

So you do lose some of the meaningful things that make the Celestial Generalist good at everything characters do in the game. However, in exchange you gain further skill in some of the most important other functions of the build - tanking and dealing damage. And at high levels, it's hard to overstate the value of flexible options like Limited Wish and Wish.

I think it represents a meaningful alternate choice for the build, particularly if you're working around a group that already has healing pretty well covered.
    Did anybody try this after tasha's release?

Do you have any opinions about it Ludic?

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Houster View Post
    Ravnica I think. I don't know any besides 1 I have in an app here.... Anyway it must have the hammering horns feature.
    I'm fairly certain the Amonkhet one is the best, but idk. They are all fairly similar.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Orc in the Playground

A good one that I have found is the {scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    To the contrary, I've often been led astray by D&D Wiki, which has a few old descriptions and incorrect casting times listed (embarrassing when you make D&D videos!). I've moved to D&D Beyond, even though the interface is much clunkier than D&D Wiki.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-23 at 04:25 PM.
    Host of Bilbrons & Dragons on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxb...1zaAA/featured

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbron View Post
    To the contrary, I've often been led astray by D&D Wiki, which has a few old descriptions and incorrect casting times listed (embarrassing when you make D&D videos!). I've moved to D&D Beyond, even though the interface is much clunkier than D&D Wiki.
    There is a difference between dandwiki and the {scrubbed}. I don't know which one you are talking about. Regardless, I have noticed this and have petitioned to become an editor on the site. However, this request was ignored by the admin.
    *Shrug*
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-23 at 04:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-23 at 03:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by javianhalt View Post
    Did anybody try this after tasha's release?

Do you have any opinions about it Ludic?
    I actually went to create it, and then decided to go with Fiend Pact instead.

Really, the build is flexible enough that it works with a few patrons. The most novel synergy Genie brings is the ability to cast Tenserís, which I still think is better on a build like this than it would be for any Wizard, and itís nice that Genieís Wrath plays nicely with it. But I think Celestial is still probably the ďbestĒ patron for it in most groups. Genie has a lot of its own utility that isnít necessarily enhanced by combining it with this build, but itís also not wasted.

In short, I think itís fine.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Get the armor first, then the rest in whichever order your prefer (I like Cha before Warcaster usually, unless you're expecting to be the main frontliner). Get Book of Ancient Secrets ASAP. Get Agonizing/Repelling Blast, then Maddening Hex. Utility cantrips can be taken early or late depending on your playstyle / campaign / priorities (damage vs utility).

Direct damage spells should be swapped out as you progress as a Warlock. For example, Shatter is useful early, but has little place on your list once you know Synaptic Static.
    Since we are going Variant Human basically only for the medium armor feat, isn't it a viable strategy to go Mountain dwarf instead?
    Also, pact of the tome gives you nice melee cantrips and access to rituals but isn't pact of the chain better overall because of the scouting and access to "gift of the overpowered healing" invocation?

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ettin in the Playground

Since we are going Variant Human basically only for the medium armor feat, isn't it a viable strategy to go Mountain dwarf instead?
    Also, pact of the tome gives you nice melee cantrips and access to rituals but isn't pact of the chain better overall because of the scouting and access to "gift of the overpowered healing" invocation?
    The main attraction of the Moderately Armored feat is to get shield proficiency. Remember, the difference in effective durability between having a shield and not having one is bigger than the difference between wearing light and medium armor.

Pact of the Chain and Gift of the Ever-Living Ones are, of course, awesome and a great way to build a Celestial Warlock! Try taking it with a Jorasco Halfling and a 1-level Life Cleric dip for more healing than you'll ever know what to do with.

The main reason the Celestial Generalist writeup is a Tomelock is because "be a ritual caster" was on Mjolnirbear's checklist. You can totally pick other pacts.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2021-04-24 at 11:18 AM.
    Your builds and build approach has been inspirational to me when making my characters (...) Every one of your posts I've seen has also seemed considered, rational, and polite.
    Some of my Stuff:
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Resistance Data in MM, Volo's, MToF

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Post Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

The main attraction of the Moderately Armored feat is to get shield proficiency. Remember, the difference in effective durability between having a shield and not having one is bigger than the difference between wearing light and medium armor.
    True, I forgot about shield proficiency and you can't get it otherwise without multiclass or other patrons like hexblade.

Pact of the Chain and Gift of the Ever-Living Ones are, of course, awesome and a great way to build a Celestial Warlock! Try taking it with a Jorasco Halfling and a 1-level Life Cleric dip for more healing than you'll ever know what to do with.

The main reason the Celestial Generalist writeup is a Tomelock is because "be a ritual caster" was on Mjolnirbear's checklist. You can totally pick other pacts.
    Cool. I think the main trade off is better(?) familiar + better heals on yourself (which focus more on the Scout and healer aspects) vs rituals and shillelagh (which are more oriented for melee attacks and out of combat casting)
    Last edited by javianhalt; 2021-04-24 at 11:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Dwarf in the Playground

Any good melee druid builds besides shapeshifting?

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tekrow View Post
    I'd love to see some good advice for that. Or even some insight for the good ole Moon Druid.

25. - Top - End - #1075

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Tekrow View Post
    Alucard made a Spore Druid/Gloom Stalker Ranger build which hits pretty hard. If you're not wildshaping, Spore Druid is probably where you want to be due to how they stack weapon and passive damage in melee, unless by "melee" you don't mind sending endless waves of summoned Velociraptors out to fight for you with Shepherd Druid.

I did a build that can be either Druid or Nature Cleric and focuses on Grappling a little while ago. It's dumb, but it works without wildshape.

Anything that abuses Shillelagh is probably the way to go - a dip into Wizard/Sorcerer for Booming Blade and/or Green-Flame Blade would be interesting as it comes online at level 2.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-04-24 at 07:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

True, I forgot about shield proficiency and you can't get it otherwise without multiclass or other patrons like hexblade.
    I was exploring the realm of possibilities and found something interesting:
    Getting a 1 level dip in cleric gives you Medium Armor and Shield proficiencies
    (initially, I'm thinking Peace Domain for the free "bless effect" without concentration proficiency times per day, but this could work with any domain)

The benefits?
    - You are no longer tied to Variant Human (you can still be a variant human if you want a feat at level 1)
    - You get 2 more spells from the cleric list and 2 slots to cast them as a "regular" spellcaster
    - You get a few extras depending on the domain you choose

The costs?
    - You are delaying 1 level in your warlock progression obviously (including ASIs)
    - You need 13 Wisdom. It's not as bad as it sounds though, depending on the race you choose.
    Examples:
    Half-Elf could do something like STR 8 / DEX 13 (+1) / CON 15 (+1) / INT 9 / WIS 13 / CHA 14 (+2). You open up for elven accuracy if you want it in higher levels, and if you go Half-Drow you receive a few spells for free once per long rest.
    Variant Humans could be STR 9 / DEX 13 (+1) / CON 13 (+1) / INT 9 / WIS 14 / CHA 15 and get something like Fey Touched to round Cha to 16 and get 2 additional spells with one free casting each. Or go with the +1 from race in CHA and get resilient (CON) to help with concentration checks. You have some possibilities here with half feats.

In both examples we would have the same spellcasting capabilities as the original build for CHA, their main stat (with 1 level delay).
    I assume 16 DEX is a luxury, not a requirement (I read your explanation on why you push for it, but it's not really 100% necessary IMHO). Disconsidering the extra DEX, VHuman would have 1 less HP per level (because less CON) and Half-Elf would have basically the same stats, just redistributed. (I'm not bothering with other races and stat distributions but I'm sure someone could point out other good examples)

Am I missing some crucial detail here or is this actually a viable idea?
    Last edited by javianhalt; 2021-04-26 at 08:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

I was exploring the realm of possibilities and found something interesting:
    Getting a 1 level dip in cleric gives you Medium Armor and Shield proficiencies
    (initially, I'm thinking Peace Domain for the free "bless effect" without concentration proficiency times per day, but this could work with any domain)

The benefits?
    - You are no longer tied to Variant Human (you can still be a variant human if you want a feat at level 1)
    - You get 2 more spells from the cleric list and 2 slots to cast them as a "regular" spellcaster
    - You get a few extras depending on the domain you choose

The costs?
    - You are delaying 1 level in your warlock progression obviously (including ASIs)
    - You need 13 Wisdom. It's not as bad as it sounds though, depending on the race you choose.
    Examples:
    Half-Elf could do something like STR 8 / DEX 13 (+1) / CON 15 (+1) / INT 9 / WIS 13 / CHA 14 (+2). You open up for elven accuracy if you want it in higher levels, and if you go Half-Drow you receive a few spells for free once per long rest.
    Variant Humans could be STR 9 / DEX 13 (+1) / CON 13 (+1) / INT 9 / WIS 14 / CHA 15 and get something like Fey Touched to round Cha to 16 and get 2 additional spells with one free casting each.

In both examples we would have the same spellcasting capabilities as the original build for CHA, their main stat (with 1 level delay).
    I assume 16 DEX is a luxury, not a requirement (I read your explanation on why you push for it, but it's not really 100% necessary IMHO). Disconsidering the extra DEX, VHuman would have 1 less HP per level (because less CON) and Half-Elf would have basically the same stats, just redistributed. (I'm not bothering with other races and stat distributions but I'm sure someone could point out other good examples)

Am I missing some crucial detail here or is this actually a viable idea?
    1-level Peace Cleric dips are highly effective.
    Some of my Stuff:

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey Ludic... got any builds that do not involve playing a God Wizard/control Wizard/any kind of *wizard* that someone with horrendous luck might be able to use? something, anything, that you can roll under a 7 consistently and still actually do SOMETHING on the battlefield?

29. - Top - End - #1079

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DevanAvalon View Post
    Hey Ludic... got any builds that do not involve playing a God Wizard/control Wizard/any kind of *wizard* that someone with horrendous luck might be able to use? something, anything, that you can roll under a 7 consistently and still actually do SOMETHING on the battlefield?
    Is it specifically and only Wizard that you want to avoid, or just any kind of spell-caster?

If it's the former; sounds like any Cleric, to be honest. Just do nothing but heal and buff your allies, and if you must get involved in a fight then use a persistent spell like Spirit Guardians so that you don't even have to roll to hit. The Guardian of Faith spell is even better, you don't even need to roll damage as it just hits for a set amount regardless of your luck.

Life Cleric would be best so that your heals are consistently buffed by Disciple of Life even if you roll poorly. Forge Cleric could be an interesting alternative - go all in on heavy armour, shield and Blessing of the Forge to ensure that you're almost impossible to hit and you can ignore anything that you don't want to deal with in order to get close to your allies and aid them.

Single class Cleric would be fine, but if you want a slightly improved build then it'd perhaps be something like Fighter 2/Life Cleric X. You're hard to kill, and if you completely flub the roll to heal an ally you can Action Surge to do it again and make sure it sticks!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-04-26 at 03:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it specifically and only Wizard that you want to avoid, or just any kind of spell-caster?

If it's the former; sounds like any Cleric, to be honest. Just do nothing but heal and buff your allies, and if you must get involved in a fight then use a persistent spell like Spirit Guardians so that you don't even have to roll to hit. The Guardian of Faith spell is even better, you don't even need to roll damage as it just hits for a set amount regardless of your luck.

Life Cleric would be best so that your heals are consistently buffed by Disciple of Life even if you roll poorly. Forge Cleric could be an interesting alternative - go all in on heavy armour, shield and Blessing of the Forge to ensure that you're almost impossible to hit and you can ignore anything that you don't want to deal with in order to get close to your allies and aid them.

Single class Cleric would be fine, but if you want a slightly improved build then it'd perhaps be something like Fighter 2/Life Cleric X. You're hard to kill, and if you completely flub the roll to heal an ally you can Action Surge to do it again and make sure it sticks!
    Stack the Lucky feat, and Halfling on top of it.