Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Human War Cleric

Hey wanted some help building a War Cleric.

Were starting at level 3 and using the standard stats or point buy 27.

I could get 16 Str/Wis and 14 con but I'm stuck with 8 int and 8 dex at that. Was hoping for some advice here as well.

I was going with Human Variant and was curious what is a good first feat?

I thought of Great Weapon Master... I could attack with the -5 and +10 Damage and offset that with my divinity if it was going to miss.

With me getting Divine Strike later on I'm trying to figure out if I can remain Melee Capable as we level up or if all the melee side of the War cleric will just goto waste?

Also thoughts of going 2H or Dex Fighter?

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Human War Cleric

There will definitely be some dropoff with your melee capabilities as levels progress, but you'll always be capable, particularly with higher level buffing spells and such. Great weapon master/sharpshooter is always a good option and has good synergy with your channel divinity so I think all in all its a good build.
    My D&D 5e blog, with lots of ideas inspired by the great posters here.
    https://dungeonofsouls.blogspot.com/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I agree with Trask. You should definitely dump Dex and do the heaviest armor with the biggest weapon. Int 8 is...a roleplaying opportunity, and won't really affect anything other than recalling your Religion...you have a fine interactive pillar there, my dude. You will either generate bonus action attacks for free, or use the War Priest ability if needed.
    Last edited by Yuroch Kern; 2020-05-29 at 09:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

You *can* build a melee focused War Cleric, but you're still going to find that attacking with your weapon is rarely going to be the best idea. I would personally take Res(Con) with your starting feat and keep Dex at at least 10 if not 12. If you REALLY want to play a melee focused Cleric, I recommend Tempest instead.

Warcaster is a great feat to start with too. Also consider Magic Initiate for Booming Blade.