New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

Would a different conclave work? This build may not see much play as UA typically changes and DMs often don't allow it.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
    Would a different conclave work? This build may not see much play as UA typically changes and DMs often don't allow it.
    I think so - the main sinergy is between Scout and the Ranger's ACFs, so it should work regardless of Conclave.

Heck, if you like Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain as-is, the ACFs aren't even needed.
    Last edited by Justin Sane; 2020-03-05 at 05:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Hey I was wondering if anyone has worked out a build on this threat that takes advantage of their familiars? I was thinking that the Variant Class Features UA would allow some really nasty tricks, specifically Investment of the Chain Master? I am still sure Find Steed & Find Greater Steed is going to be a bit better throughout your levels but this is still interesting.

Just off the top of my head
    For example an Order Cleric 6/Chain Warlock 2 with a good Spell DC of 16? This would let it make 2 attacks at the improved DC for multiple poison attacks.
    -Imp's poison being boosted up to DC 16+ for an extra 3d6 poison damage.
    -Sprite: Poison status and/or Knockout at dc 16+.
    -Pseudodragon: Poison status and/or Knockout at DC 16+.

Gnome Wizard 17/Warlock 3
    -(Questionable): True Polymorph to change it into a rock then into a young silver dragon now its breath weapon uses my Spell DC of 19? I can also ride the medium size wyrmling :)
    Last edited by Citadel97501; 2020-03-11 at 11:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Hey I was wondering if anyone has worked out a build on this threat that takes advantage of their familiars? I was thinking that the Variant Class Features UA would allow some really nasty tricks, specifically Investment of the Chain Master? I am still sure Find Steed & Find Greater Steed is going to be a bit better throughout your levels but this is still interesting.

Just off the top of my head
    For example an Order Cleric 6/Chain Warlock 2 with a good Spell DC of 16? This would let it make 2 attacks at the improved DC for multiple poison attacks.
    -Imp's poison being boosted up to DC 16+ for an extra 3d6 poison damage.
    -Sprite: Poison status and/or Knockout at dc 16+.
    -Pseudodragon: Poison status and/or Knockout at DC 16+.
    Sadly, you run into an action limit - Warlock familiars still can't take the Attack action themselves, and both of the "hey, guy, make an attack!" features take the target's reaction. You need to get to Chain Warlock 9 before your familiar can have two attacks, and then it takes up all of your actions. If you want a combat familiar, you'll want to grab Dragon's Breath as part of a Sorlock build, because then your little buddy can fly around and vomit elemental damage on enemies.

The real issue is that familiars die from a single solid hit/AoE, and that there generally isn't an easy way to make them more durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #365

GreenSorcererElf

You don't become a Chain Warlock until 3.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Hey I was wondering if anyone has worked out a build on this threat that takes advantage of their familiars?
    Well, the Sprite familiar's knockout is extremely powerful with the new invocation, especially since you can give your familiar a better bow to increase his attack ability. But in general it doesn't make any of the familiars overpowered, afaik, yet greatly increases the fun they bring: You can finally have an octopus familiar float/fly in the air.

Other cool things:
    Warlocks can Hex their own familiars and then use Relentless Hex to teleport to them on a Bonus Action. Chainlocks can even make sure their familiar turns invisibility on/off immediately around the teleport by using the Ready action (since it takes no action to turn invisibility off); that way nobody sees your familiar, but you can still teleport anywhere within 30ft to creep everyone out.
    Archdruids, i.e. Druids at level 20, have infinite Wildshapes and the new CFV allows them to use a Wildshape to immediately summon a familiar ("Wild Companion" feature), which means those druids can send familiar after familiar after familiar -- play god and send infinite frogs on your enemies, or be the cat lady you were always meant to be!

There are some proposals to have a strong familiar (e.g. Imp) carry a shield in front of you to give you cover against attacks. And with Enlarge/Reduce a halfling can easily be carried/ride their familiar. If you give your familiar a strength item (e.g. Gauntlet of Ogre Strength), your familiar can carry anyone and you can use Dragon's Breath to really cut the Pseudo from the Pseudo-Dragon!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Theaitetos View Post
    Warlocks can Hex their own familiars and then use Relentless Hex to teleport to them on a Bonus Action. Chainlocks can even make sure their familiar turns invisibility on/off immediately around the teleport by using the Ready action (since it takes no action to turn invisibility off); that way nobody sees your familiar, but you can still teleport anywhere within 30ft to creep everyone out.
    But then your Hex is stuck on the Familiar until it dies, because you can't reposition the Hex effect unless the target dies.

Of course you could use Maddening Hex to turn the Familiar into a guided psychic damage bomb, but that puts your familiar out of the running until you've got a spare hour to resummon it.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zetakya View Post
    But then your Hex is stuck on the Familiar until it dies, because you can't reposition the Hex effect unless the target dies.
    And why would you want to? An invisible Imp familiar can fly 60ft (raven form) each round to any place you want within 30ft, and you can teleport there on a bonus action, which gives you incredible movement powers.
    Last edited by Theaitetos; 2020-03-12 at 07:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #369

Griffon

Hello all, I am finally going to be sharing a full character build that I think will be a lot of fun, and is unique although it does use two minor things from the Class Feature Variant Unearthed Arcana, 1 of which is kind of required due to Sorcerer. It is a tiny bit MAD but not overly so, and this can be alleviated through taking Hexblade 1 instead of Rogue...

The Grease Trap
    Race: Anything but Variant Human is a bit quicker to get online.
    Class 1: Shadow or Sea (UA) Sorcerer 3+ (Sorcerer 4+ if not Variant Human)
    Class 2: Fighter 1+ (your going to want 5 or 6 at the end)
    Class 3: Rogue 1+
    Strength 13+ / 20 Cha / 14 Dexterity / 8 to Wisdom or Intelligence
    Feat/ASI: Grappler / +4 Cha (ASIs) / Spell Sniper - Thorn Whip (a bit more reliable than Lightning Lure and has better range due to feat.)

Cantrips: Booming Blade (BB), Green Flame Blade (GFB), Lightning Lure, your choice.
    Spells: Mage Armor (dumped once you get fighter), Shield, Grease (UA adds to Sorcerer), Absorb Elements, Shadow Blade
    Metamagic: Quickened, Twinned, (Heightened also works if you drop Twinned)
    Fighting Style: Unarmed Fighting (Unearthed Arcana)
    Expertise: Athletics, and your choice.

The Core Trick: Permanent Proning an enemy.
    Basically your core trick is to move up to melee range, quicken a Grease Spell with it affecting your ideal foe, then sacrifice one melee attack to Grapple him, then continue to stab with GFB or BB until he is dead, then cast Lighting Lure to drag another target into the Grease Trap.

Shadow Blade Damage at 5th level: 2d8+1d8+attribute+1d6+1d4+1d4 = 23.5 with everything active.
    Rapier Damage at 5th level: 19 with everything active.

Pros: Continuous Advantage on attacks, Enemy has continuous disadvantage due to permanently being prone, Armor equal to a 2 handed build, Decent Damage, Damage can scale either with more melee attacks or through cantrip scaling.

Cons: Limited range, Relies on Grease being added to the Sorcerer spell list, without the Unarmed Fighting style you lose about 5 damage per turn. Sea Sorcerer is likely a much better sub class for sorcerer but getting 3 things out of UA is not likely.
    Last edited by Citadel97501; 2020-03-20 at 01:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370

GreenSorcererElf

The Grease Trap
    Is it able to hit reliably leaving Dex at 14?

11. - Top - End - #371

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Evaar View Post
    Is it able to hit reliably leaving Dex at 14?
    I assume it should be OK with Advantage but it is a problem that MAD Builds suffer, +5 with advantage isn't too awful. Any suggestions besides the way too common Hexblade dip?

12. - Top - End - #372

GreenSorcererElf

I assume it should be OK with Advantage but it is a problem that MAD Builds suffer, +5 with advantage isn't too awful. Any suggestions besides the way too common Hexblade dip?
    BESIDES the way too common Hexblade dip? No. But I think it would be more valuable than the Rogue dip. What does the build get from the Rogue levels?

13. - Top - End - #373

Griffon

BESIDES the way too common Hexblade dip? No. But I think it would be more valuable than the Rogue dip. What does the build get from the Rogue levels?
    Expertise for Athletics, & Sneak Attack for more damage.

I can definitely see a College of Swords: Bard (Xanathar's Guide) although a Lore Bard is also tempting its just too much of a squishy caster to rely this much on melee. Now if the College of Swords: Bard could get Unarmed Fighting as a fighting style that would tempt me to abandon the fighter entirely :)

14. - Top - End - #374

GreenSorcererElf

Yeah, I get where you're coming from on that Hexblade dip being overused, but compare the extra sneak attack damage to a straight +3 to every attack and damage roll. It's overused for a reason.

The expertise in athletics is nice for grappling, though.

Although, thinking about it, you can't even use Hex Warrior with Shadowblade can you? Since you have to bind Hex Warrior to a weapon, you'd still be stuck using Dex when you summon that. Hrmmmmm. I need a math person to come in here and talk about how frequently this is going to be able to land attacks with reliable advantage. Maybe this is a build better suited to a Half Elf with Elven Accuracy?
    Last edited by Evaar; 2020-03-20 at 07:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, I get where you're coming from on that Hexblade dip being overused, but compare the extra sneak attack damage to a straight +3 to every attack and damage roll. It's overused for a reason.

The expertise in athletics is nice for grappling, though.

Although, thinking about it, you can't even use Hex Warrior with Shadowblade can you? Since you have to bind Hex Warrior to a weapon, you'd still be stuck using Dex when you summon that. Hrmmmmm. I need a math person to come in here and talk about how frequently this is going to be able to land attacks with reliable advantage. Maybe this is a build better suited to a Half Elf with Elven Accuracy?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...31142298573395
    You can use this calculator, it's very comprehensive.

16. - Top - End - #376

SolithKnightGuy

The Core Trick: Permanent Proning an enemy.
    Basically your core trick is to move up to melee range, quicken a Grease Spell with it affecting your ideal foe, then sacrifice one melee attack to Grapple him, then continue to stab with GFB or BB until he is dead, then cast Lighting Lure to drag another target into the Grease Trap.
    Both Shadow Blade and (Quickened) Grease use your concentration. And your bonus action when you cast them. You can still BB/GFB though.
    BTW, why pick up grappler if you're going to attack a prone enemy?
    Last edited by CheddarChampion; 2020-03-21 at 03:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    Both Shadow Blade and (Quickened) Grease use your concentration. And your bonus action when you cast them. You can still BB/GFB though.
    BTW, why pick up grappler if you're going to attack a prone enemy?
    Grease doesn’t require Concentration. Common mistake.

I think the point of the grapple is to force the enemy to stay prone.

18. - Top - End - #378

SolithKnightGuy

Grease doesn’t require Concentration. Common mistake.

I think the point of the grapple is to force the enemy to stay prone.
    Well today I learned!

Grappling is to keep them prone, yeah, but the grappler feat doesn't add anything right?
    Spoiler: Grappler doesn't add anything in this M.O.
    Show
    Grappler: requires Str 13. Gives you advantage on attacks against targets you have grappled. Allows you to 'pin' a target with another successful grapple check against them causing you both to be restrained.
    If you attack a prone target with a rapier/shadow blade you already have advantage, so the feat doesn't add anything in that situation. Pretty sure you don't want to pin there either. Or ever.
    Last edited by CheddarChampion; 2020-03-21 at 04:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    Well today I learned!

Grappling is to keep them prone, yeah, but the grappler feat doesn't add anything right?
    Spoiler: Grappler doesn't add anything in this M.O.
    Show
    Grappler: requires Str 13. Gives you advantage on attacks against targets you have grappled. Allows you to 'pin' a target with another successful grapple check against them causing you both to be restrained.
    If you attack a prone target with a rapier/shadow blade you already have advantage, so the feat doesn't add anything in that situation. Pretty sure you don't want to pin there either. Or ever.
    Huh. Yeah. I just assumed Grappler makes you better at... Grappling.

So then I guess I would recommend dropping that feat, pick up Prodigy for Expertise in Athletics, drop the Rogue level, maybe get Hexblade instead so the build is less gimmicky (you don't want to be out of options if you can't grapple the target). Shadowblade can still be used for when you can prone and grapple the target and don't need to worry about your mediocre dex score.
    Last edited by Evaar; 2020-03-23 at 06:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Halfling in the Playground

Celestial Dragonforge Cleric, Master of the Searing Smite

Forge Cleric 8 Celestial Warlock (Tome) 6 Draconic Sorcerer (Fire) 6

Race: Anything with a +1 or higher to Cha, with the other ASI ideally being Con, Wis or Str (though this is ultimately not important to the build).

ASIs: Cha to 20, Elemental Adept, War Caster.

Key Cantrips: Green-Flame Blade, Shillelagh. Knows 16 cantrips by the end!

Key Spell: Searing Smite.

So, a while back I posted a fairly flawed build here based around the idea that you could add the +Cha to fire damage of a level 6+ Draconic Sorcerer to every strike with a weapon that had Elemental Weapon cast on it, while also using GFB to get another +Cha. Aside from getting my spell levels mixed up (I had the build as Sorcerer 14/Paladin 6 even though Elemental Weapon is only available to a Paladin at 9), it was pointed out that by RAW and RAI, this extra damage would only be applied once per casting of Elemental Weapon, not per hit.

I've come up with what I think is an interesting new variation on this idea, a build that adds Cha to damage FOUR times per hit (technically five actually), and this time I'm like 95% sure it's completely legal. :P

The first change is that this uses both Elemental Affinity from Draconic Sorcerer and Radiant Soul from Celestial Warlock, which means that for any spell cast that rolls fire damage, the character will add their Cha modifier to damage twice for one roll against one target. We also use Pact of the Tome from Warlock to get a Cha-based Shillelagh, freeing up ASIs for War Caster and Elemental Adept. War Caster will help us cast spells while wielding a shield, and Elemental Adept is highly recommended due to the prevalence of fire resistance.

They key here is that while we're limited to one roll per spell, if we cast TWO spells with one attack, we double our extra damage. So, if we use our bonus action to cast Searing Smite, then activate its effect with the weapon attack made as part of Green-Flame Blade, we can add Cha to damage twice per spell, a total of 20 additional damage per hit, in addition to the Searing Smite damage and the GFB damage. As a level 8 Forge Cleric, we'll also add an additional 1d8 fire damage from Divine Strike. Base weapon attack and damage also use Cha due to Shillelagh. It's also worth noting that the character by level 20 has spell slots as high as 7th level, and Searing Smite does not have a spell slot level cap like Divine Smite, meaning its base damage can potentially be as high as 7d6 with the highest possible slot used.

At max Cha and using the 7th level slot, and including the riders from GFB and Searing Smite, this adds up to 8d8+30+8d6 damage, an average of 94 total damage divided between two targets! Probably a bit more since all 1s on fire damage dice (all except for the Divine Strike d8, so 14 of the 16 die rolls) are converted to 2s by Elemental Adept.

This character will also benefit from high AC with heavy armor, a shield and an extra +2 from Blessing of the Forge and Soul of the Forge, a total of 22 AC with regular plate armor and no additional magic items. They will also have resistance to both fire and radiant damage. For ranged combat, they'll be able to use Agonizing Blast or Twinned Fire Bolt according to preference, either one doing 4d10+20 damage if all beams hit. Things get a little trickier against a fire-immune enemy, but you'll still be able to fall back on being an extremely heavily armored Sorlock who can also dish out +Cha Guiding Bolts! This build's main drawback is not being able to learn spells higher than 4th level, but the versatility of the combined Cleric, Sorcerer and Tomelock spell lists will make them no slouch for utility and healing even when they don't get a chance to hit people with a flaming stick!

Obviously this build doesn't fully come together until level 20, making it most ideally suited to a character created for that tier of play. However, the basic combo of Searing Smite, GFB and either Radiant Soul or Elemental Affinity is available by level 7 (Cleric 1, Warlock or Sorcerer 6 - probably Warlock first in order to get Shillelagh at level 4).

This build can also be adjusted to use a martial weapon instead of Shillelagh, taking Pact of the Blade instead of Pact of the Tome. One would need to spend all their ASIs boosting Strength and Charisma, so Variant Human is preferred to get Elemental Adept. It hurts to lose the cantrip opportunity attack from War Caster, but the ability to cast with one's hands full becomes less of an issue if one chooses to use a greatsword or maul instead of a shield. This version is therefore a little more restrictive, but allows for bigger weapon damage dice and, subjectively, can look a lot cooler than swinging around a big wooden stick. :P
    Last edited by AgenderArcee; 2020-04-14 at 12:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Feat/ASI: Grappler / +4 Cha (ASIs) / Spell Sniper - Thorn Whip (a bit more reliable than Lightning Lure and has better range due to feat.)
    Wouldn't Thorn Whip be keyed on wisdom?

And that cost you to get 13+ in Dex, while Dex seems not very useful for anything else in this particular build.
    Without the Rogue level, you could focus on Strength. And you can get Expertise by replacing Grappler by Prodigy.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protčgent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

22. - Top - End - #382
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Looking back at the Hobgoblin Iron Wizard, I noticed it... kinda doesn't give any major suggestions for spells other than "Mage Armor is entirely optional, and you want Counterspell and... Abjuration spells in general." I'm kinda unsure what spells I want to pick up for it, since to me... well "standard God Wizard" things doesn't mean much. Can someone give me a hand?

23. - Top - End - #383

Griffon

Are there any other non-fire spells that you could use with that Master of the Searing Smite build with the Elemental Spell meta magic added in Variant Class Features? I would also like to see if this can be made effective at more varied levels such as having the key points active by level 8, or 10. I do understand you will lose some effectiveness at those levels but having it playable at all levels is likely more important. That being said great ideas there.
    Last edited by Citadel97501; 2020-04-17 at 07:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DevanAvalon View Post
    Looking back at the Hobgoblin Iron Wizard, I noticed it... kinda doesn't give any major suggestions for spells other than "Mage Armor is entirely optional, and you want Counterspell and... Abjuration spells in general." I'm kinda unsure what spells I want to pick up for it, since to me... well "standard God Wizard" things doesn't mean much. Can someone give me a hand?
    "God Wizard" is generally a reference to the spell selection and use ideas in this guide, available in the stickied "class guides" thread:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...P0oH7HE_v67QY/

25. - Top - End - #385
    Firbolg in the Playground

What level are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

26. - Top - End - #386
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Google “Treantmonk’s guide god wizard”

27. - Top - End - #387
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    What level are you?
    I would be starting at level 3 for now (so like, 8 level 1 spells and 2 level 2 spells to start).

28. - Top - End - #388

ElfRangerGuy

I would be starting at level 3 for now (so like, 8 level 1 spells and 2 level 2 spells to start).
    I'm posting a bit more suggestions than you have slots for. For God Wizard spells, it's extra important that you look at how to make your party better: you set up haymakers, control the flow of battle and manipulate the terrain and how the fight is win to guarantee victory at the smallest cost possible.

Lvl 1
    - Grease (note: it's the lack of concentration that I love about this spell - also I have been in melee heavy parties)
    - Tasha's Hideous Laughter
    - Silent Image
    - Find familiar
    - Fog cloud

Maybes/not control, but good
    - Shield
    - Detect magic
    - Identify
    - Absorb Elements (better later, but if you don't count on getting spells outside of leveling, you'd rather pick it up early)
    - Cause Fear (worse effect than Tasha's, but better upcast)
    - Sleep (I personally like it, also for capturing foes, but it's a contested choice)
    - Thunderwave

Lvl 2
    - Web
    - Ray of enfeeblement (like absorb elements; actually better later due to the saving throw being end of turn, it works for 1 round on legendary resistance mobs)
    - Pyrotechnics
    - Levitate
    - Enlarge/reduce (also great for removing obstacles)
    - Darkness
    - Phantasmal force

Maybes
    - Suggestion (DM dependent)
    - Hold person (I've not picked it as a player due to the small amount of humanoids we were facing... If you do face humanoids and your party can leverage critical hits, it's a lot better)
    - Cloud of daggers (if you have people who can force movement/grapple)
    - Rope trick
    - Invisibility
    - Dust devil (if you play with a lot of environmental hazards and ledges)
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Banned

Zealot of Death.

You are primal warrior of a God of Death. Your sole purpose is to seek new battles and slay more souls. You even made a pact with an dark entity that promised you a powerful reward.. for your ongoing service. Now both powers that you serve want you to spread their will... into the battle and war. You lead those who seek blood and glory. In the name of death.

1. Build

Class: 1 Hexblade/12 Zealot Barbarian
    Race: Fallen Aasimar
    Stats: 16 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 14 CHA.
    Feats (If Strength Magic Item available): Polearm Master at level 5, Shield Master, Inspiring Leader
    Feats (if not Streangth Magic Item Available): Polearm Master, +2 Strength, Inspiring Leader

It's more a thematic build than min-maxed superman, but it's has effective DPR and "Nova fight" and he is great duelist with good AC, resistance and extra 15 (30 with Rage) temporary HP. He also gets WIS and CHA save proficiency to have more protection vs Charm/Mind spells that can end Rage too early and if you can get Strength boosting item - the Shield Master combined with advantage on DEX save throws will allow him to shrug off many AOE damage effects/spells. He also have resistance to Priercing, Blunt, Slashing, Necrotic and Radiant damage.

He can Curse his enemy 1/short rest, giving him expanded crit-range + proficiency damage bonus to one taget. He can unleash his unholy herritage 1/day and add Necrotic damage equal to his level to one strike per turn, which adds to his Zealot alpha strike every turn and Hexblade bonus damage. This also gives you fly ability so you can engage flying enemies if needed (something most melee classes struggle against) and decent AOE Fear with DC of 15 targeting Charisma save throw. Your enemies know to fear you in battle!

You also have decent AC of minimum 19 (Half-Plate + Shield), 3 attacks per turn and even access to decent range spell cantrip (Eldricht Blast) as backup vs enemies you can't reach or fly to.

Warrior of the Gods- if you have cleric/Divine Soul/Paladin in your party - even if you die, you just go back. Death never ends.

One you get to level 1/14 you also can't die as long as your Rage lasts.

2. Role:

Your job is to stick to main target in every fight, Curse and challange them into glorious duel to the death! No mercy allowed! When your team fights especially hard encounter or the main boss of adventuring day: Unleash your Necrotic enegry, rip and tear.

You also have effective 124 x 2 HP vs most attacks. So 248 HP, 30 of which is Temporary. With Shield Master + Danger Sense you can also dodge most of AOE damage spells/effects, avoiding big damage spikes.

You are also quite good leader with Proficiency in Deception and Intimidiation skill + Inspiring Leader feat.

3. Damage:

I assume here you at least got yourself +1 spear/quarterstaff by level 13. If you can get Staff of Power - it gets even better.

His DPR at level 13 vs AC 17 wiht spear + 1 looks like this:

With Curse + Rage on target only using Reckless Attack: Normal: 43 DPR, Advantage (Reckless Attack): 55 DPR.

With Necrotic Shroud unleashed you deal also additional +13 alpha necrotic damage for 1 minute.

Combined with Curse your DPR vs single target is: Normal: 57 DPR, Reckless Attack: 69 DPR.

A very solid DPR for a weapon + shield build.

If you can get your hands on Staff of Power (which you can use thanks to Warlock dip) - your damage can skyrocket if you Nova using extra 1d6 force damage and +1 extra damage from Staff of power.

Your DPR with Curse + Necrotic Shroud using Staff of Power extra 1d6 per attack would be: Normal: 69, Reckless: 85 DPR

4. Progression

Start with Hexblade for WIS proficiency and CHA proficiency. There are some nasty spells that can end your rage and therefore - not allowing later to keep Rage Beyond Death ongoing.

I would go to at least 1/16 to get Rage Beyond Death and Persistent Rage and get that +4 damage from Rage.

After that I would multiclass to Fighter Battlemaster to get Dueling + Action Surge or Revised Ranger: Hunter to get Dueling + Giant Killer or Colossus Slayer. And FF - humanoids or monstrosities for another +2 damage.
    Last edited by Benny89; 2020-04-18 at 06:17 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

@Benny89, I like it! Creative and cool!