New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

Quote Originally Posted by Agthor View Post
    Maybe you should read the shadow blade spell discription. It says it is a weapon.
    Yes, but read my post in the context of the posts preceding it.

The cost of inscribing a spell in your spellbook does not mean the weapon you get from casting that spell has a value of 1sp.

The cost of creating a scroll from which to cast Shadow Blade does not mean that the weapon you get from using up that scroll has a value of 1sp.

The weapon itself has to have the value. Shadow Blade isn't a weapon with a value. The fact that you may have to spend money to learn how to create a Shadow Blade doesn't mean it now has a value.

We might all agree that you should be able to cast Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade with a Shadow Blade, that's fine, houserule it. But let's not try to pretend that there's a way to read the language to conclude that it fits RAW. Let the language be the language, and change it if you disagree with its effect.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Undefined in this context means valueless. Magic weapons obviously have the base value of their weapon."

Undefined - adjective: not clear or defined. Valueless - adjective: having no value; worthless.

I think undefined in that context is being interpreted as valueless by some, but I don't think that is correct. Those two words are not synonyms.

Also, NO - magic weapons do not have the base value of their weapon. Magic weapons are much more expensive and it is based on their rarity. A legendary magic long sword does not have the same value of a mundane long sword.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    "Undefined in this context means valueless. Magic weapons obviously have the base value of their weapon."

Undefined - adjective: not clear or defined. Valueless - adjective: having no value; worthless.

I think undefined in that context is being interpreted as valueless by some, but I don't think that is correct. Those two words are not synonyms.

Also, NO - magic weapons do not have the base value of their weapon. Magic weapons are much more expensive and it is based on their rarity. A legendary magic long sword does not have the same value of a mundane long sword.
    One cool thing about pact of the blade before was that you could have summoned anything and be proficient with it. You know like the devil spear in the monster manual but now if you do that you suddenly lose the ability to use GFB, but if you summon a regular old greatsword you can.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    They apparently did intend the "1 sp" fiasco purely because they thought it was clarifying that you couldn't draw a weapon from a spell component pouch, not because they actually spared a thought about how this would interact with various rules and character archetypes like Shadow Blade. Ugh.
    I don't see how anyone would sincerely think you can draw a weapon from a spell component pouch.
    At the very best, it would be a specious, maybe duplicitous, stretch of the rules.

My disappointment is that this takes an ability that everyone seemed to collectively agree on how it worked (I don't think anybody ever thought you could actually pull a weapon from a material component pouch), and in the name of 'clarification' turns it into yet another 'ask your DM what it means' mechanic (as seen by the debates above and in other threads and websites, where people are all arguing about what counts as a 'weapon worth at least 1sp' or not). So Shadow Blade might very well fall into that same weird category Shield Master is currently in where you can't post builds using it without everyone shouting at each other for a few pages, and you can't play builds using it without having a conversation with your DM first to determine how they rule it. Isn't this like, the opposite of what errata's supposed to accomplish? Come on, WotC.
    I'm with you on this.
    The WotC team really have issue with the wording of their rules.
    And they don't seem to know much on how the game is played on many table.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

5. - Top - End - #755

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post

You're leaving out the connective tissue here (hence "in this context"). When looking to answer the question of value: the phb weapons and equipment sections were cited as the primary tools to answer the value question. There is room for reasonable association for some items not listed. "Gloom" is not a reasonable association. And JC pretty clearly alluded to this fact twice.

You're saying the same thing I am. Base value means lowest or initial value, which is all we care about here. A magic longsword is worth at LEAST the value of a regular long sword. Any value beyond that is irrelevant to the discussion.

Is it possible to move this all to another - more appropriate - thread?
    Last edited by CMCC; 2020-11-13 at 04:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CMCC View Post
    You're leaving out the connective tissue here (hence "in this context"). When looking to answer the question of value: the phb weapons and equipment sections were cited as the primary tools to answer the value question. There is room for reasonable association for some items not listed. "Gloom" is not a reasonable association. And JC pretty clearly alluded to this fact twice.

You're saying the same thing I am. Base value means lowest or initial value, which is all we care about here. A magic longsword is worth at LEAST the value of a regular long sword. Any value beyond that is irrelevant to the discussion.
    But what does a rod of lordly might has its a rod? Not a weapon you press a button it acts like a weapon but it isn’t that weapon so can you BB/GFB with it? I think you’ll see a lot more of these question, what about Sunblade that is a long sword hilt, what is the value of a long sword hilt?

What is the value of a sword made of radiant light? If one made of gloom is valueless.
    Last edited by Gignere; 2020-11-13 at 04:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

WRT creating a separate thread - sure.

WRT determining the value of a one handed finesse weapon that causes 2d8 (or more) magical psychic damage per hit and grants ADV if used in low light or darkness, that is a separate discussion all together. What existing weapons in the PHB or any other source book come close to the SHADOW BLADE's capabilities? The spell states very clearly that it creates a magic sword - there isn't a single magic sword that has a value of less than 1 sp - in fact there are no swords of any kind that have a value of less than 1 sp ...

"You weave together threads of shadow to create a sword of solidified gloom in your hand. This magic sword lasts until the spell ends. It counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60). In addition, when you use the sword to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage.
    If you drop the weapon or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn. Thereafter, while the spell persists, you can use a bonus action to cause the sword to reappear in your hand."

8. - Top - End - #758
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey there!

I am a huge fan of your variety of builds, and wanted to express my appreciation for your work. I just recently decided to try out your Arcane Cleric, and was wondering if you had a progression to the build that shows the level by level spells and whatnot. If you don't, no worries. I just thought I'd ask. Thank you either way.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, if I wanted to build something similar to a Death Knight from Wacraft, what would be the best classes to do it?

10. - Top - End - #760
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfyr View Post
    Hey there!

I am a huge fan of your variety of builds, and wanted to express my appreciation for your work. I just recently decided to try out your Arcane Cleric, and was wondering if you had a progression to the build that shows the level by level spells and whatnot. If you don't, no worries. I just thought I'd ask. Thank you either way.
    You're a Cleric, which means you have ALL the spells. Every day you get to pick which ones you want to prepare for the day, so just adjust based on the situation. Just make sure to keep prepared healing word, spiritual weapon and spirit guardians, plus some other choices depending on what you may encounter that day. For example, protection from good and evil is really good if you know what you're facing. Other decent picks at lower levels are bless, sanctuary and shield of faith (in case you need to be the main tank).

11. - Top - End - #761
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tekrow View Post
    So, if I wanted to build something similar to a Death Knight from Wacraft, what would be the best classes to do it?
    I dont remember most of the lore, but Arthas was the archetypal fallen paladin. if i had to guess, he'd be a mix of Oathbreaker and Hexblade. IIRC, Oathbreakers do become death knights when they die. Death Knight abilities in WoW from what i remember were heavier on necrotic and cold damage though, so stick closer to warlock

12. - Top - End - #762
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    I dont remember most of the lore, but Arthas was the archetypal fallen paladin. if i had to guess, he'd be a mix of Oathbreaker and Hexblade. IIRC, Oathbreakers do become death knights when they die. Death Knight abilities in WoW from what i remember were heavier on necrotic and cold damage though, so stick closer to warlock
    That's in line with what I had in mind. Also, if I wanted a mostly monk build, but that could also function as a party face(not at the level of a bard, but decently charismatic) what would be the best multiclass I could do? Bard? Rogue? Warlock?

13. - Top - End - #763
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

That's in line with what I had in mind. Also, if I wanted a mostly monk build, but that could also function as a party face(not at the level of a bard, but decently charismatic) what would be the best multiclass I could do? Bard? Rogue? Warlock?
    Rogue has the best synergy and will give you expertise with a single level dip. You'll also get sneak attack damage if you use a finess weapon on top of that, though I imagine most people who want to main monk are in it for unarmed attacks.

One more unconventional suggestion however is Samurai as it will let you add your wisdom to persuasion checks (albeit requiring a substantial dip). In addition, the unarmed fighting style will make your unarmed attacks use a d8 for damage long before you get it from your monk levels, and action surge is never a bad thing to have

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfyr View Post
    Hey there!

It varies
    For the starting stats as a Vuman, that will usually be 10/14/13/12/16/10 but it can be 10/14/15/10/16/8.

Usually, you go Vuman and the ASI progression can be:
    1: MI: Druid (Shillelagh, another cantrip, Goodberries or Absorb Elements) Goodberries combines well with Spell Breaker (level 6 feature).
    4: Warcaster
    8: +2 Wis
    12: Res (Con)
    16: +2 Wis
    19: Whatever you want, but Lucky is a prime candidate.

It has to be adapted to your campaign and you're DM style.
    There is the possibility to use a race with a bonus druid cantrip, there are some in the Plane Shift.
    When i used the build in ToA, i had to take Res (Con) before Warcaster because the DM was big on poison and exhaustion roll.
    The choice of cantrips depends on the party composition, you may want more utility ones or focus on damage cantrips. The build potentially works with only BB or GFB (+Shillelagh).
    The spells obviously change every days, but as a Cleric, you will focus on Bless, Healing Word, Aid, Spiritual Weapon, Mass Healing Word, Spirit Guardians, etc. The usual contenders.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2020-11-14 at 07:15 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

15. - Top - End - #765
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Oh boy. It's been a while since I last played WoW, but I want to give this a try.

The last time I mained a Deathknight was Mists of Pandaria. I've played a lot of PvP with that character so I'm very familiar with the abilities of an Unholy deathknight but they will probably be horribly outdated. I can't emulate the other two because frankly, I didn't like playing them. Frost is very similar to a fighter. Blood is a cheesy build for outdoor pvp or a pve tank. DnD can't emulate threat tanks.

Offensively:
    Diseases - Steady tick of damage, possibly AoE.
    Necrotic Strike - Damage and healing debuff
    Soul Reaper - The execute ability, deals a lot of damage if the target is under 35% health.
    Gargoyle - Summon that deals a lot of single target damage.
    Chains of Ice - Slow
    Icy Touch glyph - Dispel
    Strangulate - Silence
    Raise Dead - Pet ghoul
    Dark Transformation - Boosting the output of your summon
    Deathgrip - Pull an enemy to you
    Deathcoil - Basic ranged attack

Defensively:
    Antimagic Shell - Immunity to magic
    Icebound Fortitude - Damage Reduction and Immunity to stun
    Death Strike - Heal when you deal damage.
    Blood presence - Damage Reduction

Other:
    Lichborne - Makes you an undead (meaning immunities and healing through self targeting deathcoil)
    Deathpact - Transfers health from your ghoul to you.

----------

This are the abilities that I think emulate his abilities best.

1) Spirit Guardians : Diseases, Chains of Ice - DoT and Slow
    2) Chill Touch : Necrotic Strike - Mediocre Damage but limits Healig
    3) Banishing Smite : Soul Reaper - If an enemy reaches 50 health, he loses.
    4) Animate Dead / Create Undead: Raise Dead - Sadly I'm not aware of a concentration minion that can control or self explode.
    5) Crusader's Mantle / Aura of Hate / Undead Thralls : Dark Transformation
    6) Spiritual Weapon/Animate Objects : Gargoyle - It drains Runic Power, so I think a bonus action ability is appropriate here.
    7) Lightning Lure/Compelled Duel : Deathgrip - This is uninspiring but that's a difficult spell to emulate.
    8) Aura of Protection : Antimagic Shell & Icebound Fortitude & Lichborne -
    9) Vampire Touch : Death Strike
    10) Dispel Magic : IT Glyph - As straightforward as it can be
    11) Silence & Counterspell : Strangulate
    12) Blade Ward : Blood Presence - This stance decreases your damage output significantly.
    13) Toll the Dead/Sacred Flame : Deathcoil
    14) Any healing ability : Deathpact - I can't really find something more appropriate. Wish you could use life transference on your minions.
    15) Find Steed : Also the iconic Deathknight is mounted.

Build 1:

Strict Adherence
    Oathbreaker 9 / Bard 10 / Sorcerer 1

1) Spirit Guardians : Bard Magical Secrets lvl 6
    2) Chill Touch : Sorcerer 1
    3) Banishing Smite : Bard Magical Secrets lvl 10
    4) Animate Dead : Oathbreaker 9
    5) Crusader's Mantle / Aura of Hate : Oathbreaker 9/7
    6) Animate Objects : Bard 9
    7) Lightning Lure/Compelled Duel : Sorcerer 1 / Oathbreaker 2
    8) Aura of Protection : Oathbreaker 6
    9) Vampire Touch : Bard Magical Secrets lvl 10
    10) Dispel Magic : Oathbreaker 9 / Bard 5
    11) Silence & Counterspell : Bard 3 & Bard Magical Secrets lvl 6
    12) Blade Ward : Sorcerer 1
    13) Offensive Cantrip : Sorcerer 1
    14) Any healing ability : Both Paladin and Bard have those
    15) Find Steed : Paladin 5

This build can emulate a Deathknight fairly well, but it will come online very late. Perhaps for a high level oneshot.
    There are also a lot of redundancies here, but that's a problem when we try to recreate something on a different system.

Build 2:

Less strict adherence but uses Ravnica background.
    Orzhov representative Oathbreaker 11 / Hexblade 9

1) Spirit Guardians : Background
    2) Chill Touch : Hexblade
    3) Banishing Smite : Hexblade
    4) Animate Dead / Accursed Spectre : Oathbreaker / Hexblade
    5) Crusader's Mantle / Aura of Hate : Oathbreaker
    6) Spiritual Weapon / Animate Objects : Omitted, we have uses for the BA
    7) Compelled Duel : Oathbreaker (Redundant)
    8) Aura of Protection : Oathbreaker
    9) Vampire Touch : Hexblade (Redundant)
    10) Dispel Magic : Oathbreaker
    11) Silence & Counterspell : Omitted & Hexblade
    12) Blade Ward : Hexblade (Redundant)
    13) Offensive Cantrip : Hexblade (EB obviously)
    14) Any healing ability : Oathbreaker
    15) Find Steed : Oathbreaker

I think this has a better level progression, but it won't play much like a Death Knight at low levels. Also I'm not sure what is the best level progression. Probably Paladin 11 first.

Build 3:

Spirit of the class.
    Necromancer 6 / Life Cleric 14

This one can be built as a Cleric 5 -> Necromancer 6 or Cleric 13 -> Necromancer 6
    The point here is to be self sufficient and emulate the basic playstyle which is minions, aoe trickling damage and self healing.

As a capstone, he gets Regenerate, and with Life Cleric's Disciple of Life, it ticks for something like 10 health per turn.
    Along with shield and absorb elements, heavy armor proficiency and shield, he is going to be extremely self sufficient in the front lines, tanking for his minions. It's MAD though so it won't be very easy to build. Sadly he doesn't get Aura of Protection so he will be less resistant than a DK in WoW, but I think it will feel a lot more like one from a fairly low level.
    Last edited by Gtdead; 2020-11-15 at 06:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Thinking on it, wouldn't it be possible to build an EK/Bladesinger now without wasting the second source of extra attack since now we could combine EK 7s feature with the cantrip replacing to get up to 5 attacks a turn.

Wouldn't be fully online until like level 19, but progression wouldn't be actively awful and by the early teens you can throw out 2 booming blades and 2 normal attacks a turn with a haste on yourself, on top of the same ol warcaster booming blade reaction attack.

Probably worse than the OG booming/Shadow blade build but given that that now needs DM homebrewing to function, this might be the most viable option for using booming blade in base mechanics.
    Last edited by dopl; 2020-11-17 at 11:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dopl View Post
    Thinking on it, wouldn't it be possible to build an EK/Bladesinger now without wasting the second source of extra attack since now we could combine EK 7s feature with the cantrip replacing to get up to 5 attacks a turn.

Wouldn't be fully online until like level 19, but progression wouldn't be actively awful and by the early teens you can throw out 2 booming blades and 2 normal attacks a turn with a haste on yourself, on top of the same ol warcaster booming blade reaction attack.

Probably worse than the OG booming/Shadow blade build but given that that now needs DM homebrewing to function, this might be the most viable option for using booming blade in base mechanics.
    Not sure how you’re getting two booming blades, are you using action surge?

Assuming 11 ek / 6 bs you can do three attacks, replace one of them with BB, and war magic qualifies so you do 1 bonus action attack. How are you getting a second booming in there?

18. - Top - End - #768
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    Not sure how you’re getting two booming blades, are you using action surge?

Assuming 11 ek / 6 bs you can do three attacks, replace one of them with BB, and war magic qualifies so you do 1 bonus action attack. How are you getting a second booming in there?

As I mentioned, I'm talking about it with a haste you would put on yourself. You can't normally cast with that haste action but you could replace your attack with a cantrip through bladesingers feature.

You are indeed correct that you wouldn't get that extra booming blade if you don't have the haste up though, and obviously it's incredibly high risk since fighting melee while concentrating on haste is a big stun risk.

Also now realizing this comes fully online at 17th level not 19th. Math derp on my end.
    Last edited by dopl; 2020-11-18 at 01:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dopl View Post
    As I mentioned, I'm talking about it with a haste you would put on yourself. You can't normally cast with that haste action but you could replace your attack with a cantrip through bladesingers feature.

You are indeed correct that you wouldn't get that extra booming blade if you don't have the haste up though, and obviously it's incredibly high risk since fighting melee while concentrating on haste is a big stun risk.

Also now realizing this comes fully online at 17th level not 19th. Math derp on my end.
    I don’t think that’s allowable by BS feature. Haste limitations in this case is more specific to the extra attack granted by haste. Haste is very specific that it has to be a weapon attack and can’t be a cantrip. However if your DM allows it more power to you.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    I don’t think that’s allowable by BS feature. Haste limitations in this case is more specific to the extra attack granted by haste. Haste is very specific that it has to be a weapon attack and can’t be a cantrip. However if your DM allows it more power to you.
    I honestly don't see why it wouldn't work. Haste does nothing to prevent you from casting spells, it just has a limited selection of actions you can take with the action it grants. Among those actions is an attack action limited to one attack. Bladesinger lets you substitute an attack you make with the attack action with a cantrip.

In this case, you are still taking the attack action as restricted to by haste, and are merely altering the attack you can make with an attack action through bladesinger.

You would be correct that most cantrips couldn't be used in this way since haste limits it to a single weapon attack, but booming blade is a weapon attack rather than spell attack, so it ends up fitting together perfectly.
    Last edited by dopl; 2020-11-18 at 04:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The Level 14 Aristocrat

"-By someone with an NPC class, yes."
    "I feel dirty inside"

NPC Stat Block: Noble
    Race: Mountain Dwarf
    Class: Prodigy Spellcaster Sidekick 14
    Stats: STR 11, DEX (12+2), CON 11, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA (16+2)
    ASI: CHA +2 @4, Warcaster @8, Polearm Master @12
    Important Spells: Magic Stone, Eldritch Blast, Dissonant Whispers. Healing Word

Important Proficiencies: Glaive, Pike or Halberd, Medium Armor

For a while I've been wanting to do an NPC build, and while some of the potential options (Particularly a Dolgrim Warrior) looked insane, I wanted to post a build that would be powerful without being game breaking, so here it is, the level 14 Aristocrat. Let's look at this in a level-by-level breakdown and see what it can do.

When you start at level 1, your superiority over warlock is immediate. While you know one fewer spell, you already have two 1st level spell slots by virtue of your 3/2 caster progression and full access to both the warlock and bard spell lists. At this level, Magic Stone is going to be a more valuable cantrip to you than Eldritch Blast due to the addition of your +4 CHA bonus to damage, but don't worry about making your second cantrip a utility spell like minor illusion or prestidigitation. See, unlike PC classes post-tasha you can't swap out your cantrips when you gain an ASI, but the spellcaster npc can replace one of their spells known with a cantrip any time they level up. In addition to that spellcasting prowess you have a breastplate as starting equipment and a rapier which will be just fine for now. Thanks to your noble stat block, you can parry as a reaction while you have a melee weapon at hand, giving you a +2 AC bonus against a melee attack of your choice. It's not shield, but it's free

Level 2 is slightly dull. Sidekicks are stingier on new abilities, treating gaining a new spell known, new spell slots or a proficiency bonus increase as dead levels. That's fine for us though, because we can choose a second spell of our choice from the Bard or Warlock spell list. The same goes for level 3, and level 4 is when we get an ASI to CHA, giving us max CHA pretty early. Level 5 gets us second level spells, again from either the Bard or Wizard spell lists, and a new spell known on top of that to play with.

At Level you get potent cantrip and this is where things get interesting. While the obvious use here is to replicate Agonizing Blast with eldritch blast, the wording of the sidekick's Potent Cantrips is significantly looser.

The sidekick can add its spellcasting ability modifier to the damage it deals with any cantrip.
    Note that it doesn't say, "to one damage roll of the spell" or that this is bonus damage that occurs under some condition and then can't be used again. You can apply this to every damage roll, which is particularly useful for cantrips such as Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade and Conjure Bonfire. Magic stone also benefits from this, but as you don't have animate dead or tiny servants on your spell list it's probably not worthwhile to stick with. I'm sticking to eldritch blast for this build but the SCAG cantrips have a lot to gain from using this

The trend of boring continues until level 8 when you get warcaster. By this level you'll want a reach weapon to make the most of it, Dissonant Whispers will pair with it excellently. Level 12 give you Polearm Master which lets you blast people who come close as long as you carry a polearm. Lastly, 14 gives you empowered spell which lets you apply your CHA bonus to all spells of a school of your choice. This applies to healing and stacks with potent cantrips, so evocation is the best school to go with as you'll use it with both your blast cantrips and healing word

22. - Top - End - #772
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Usually, you go Vuman and the ASI progression can be:
    1: MI: Druid (Shillelagh, another cantrip, Goodberries or Absorb Elements) Goodberries combines well with Spell Breaker (level 6 feature).
    Technically, Goodberry cast with MI does not work with Spellbreaker, as spellbreaker requires that the spell ended be of equal or lower level to the spell slot used to cast the spell, and you don't use a spell slot when casting Goodberry.

A DM may allow it, but RAW it doesn't work.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

So, for Aberrant Mind and Clockwork Soul sorcs, you get a list of spells that are always prepared, and can be swapped for any spell of certain schools of magic from wizard, sorc, OR warlock spell lists on level up. So I wanted to put it out there for the more smart bois and gals. What cool "always prepared" shenanigans can we get up to with Sorcerer using these?

Psionic Spells
    Level Spells
    1st arms of Hadar, dissonant whispers, mind sliver
    3rd calm emotions, detect thoughts
    5th hunger of Hadar, sending
    7th Evard’s black tentacles, summon aberration
    9th Rary’s telepathic bond, telekinesis

Can replace these spells with Divination or Enchantment from wiz, sorc, or warlock.

Clockwork Spells
    Level Spells
    1st alarm, protection from evil and good
    3rd aid, lesser restoration
    5th dispel magic, protection from energy
    7th freedom of movement, summon construct
    9th greater restoration, wall of force

can replace these spells with Abjuration or Transmutation from wiz, sorc, or warlock.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Firbolg in the Playground

Crystal-Covered Crusher

The basic idea here is simple, a Psi Warrior who uses an Artificer dip to become Int-SAD, with Lightning Launcher as its main weapon. You can have a pretty good AC (20 or 21) without tanking your Stealth skill (plate armor, shield, Enhanced Defense infusion). I'm not counting on the Customizing Your Origin rules being in play (and I don't like the ability-score-swapping option), but if these rules are fair game, the Hobgoblin proficiency features become three tool proficiencies of your choice; very flavorful!

Hobgoblin, Inheritor, Psi Warrior Fighter 17 / Armorer Artificer 3
    Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 11, Cha 10
    Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival, Arcana, Stealth; customized origin variant: three Tools of your choice.
    1. Fighter: Archery fighting style; (Second Wind)
    2. Fighter: (Action Surge 1/short rest)
    3. Fighter: (Psionic Power 4d6; Protective Field; Psionic Strike; Telekinetic Movement)
    4. Fighter: Fey Touched feat - boost Int +1 - gift of alacrity & misty step
    5. Fighter: (Extra Attack 1; Psionic Power 6d8)
    6. Artificer: guidance & thorn whip; (Thieves' Tools & Tinker's Tools proficiency; Spellcasting; Magical Tinkering)
    7. Artificer: Enhanced Defense & Homunculus Servant & Mind Sharpener & Replicate Magic Item: Sending Stones infusions; (Infuse Item)
    8. Artificer: Armor Model - Infiltrator; (Armorer Spells - magic missile & thunderwave; Smith's Tools proficiency; Arcane Armor; The Right Tool for the Job)
    9. Fighter: Skill Expert feat - boost Int +1 - History proficiency - Arcana expertise; (Psionic Power 8d8)
    10. Fighter: (Psi-Powered Leap; Telekinetic Thrust)
    11. Fighter: boost Int +2
    12. Fighter: (Indomitable 1/long rest)
    13. Fighter: (Guarded Mind; Psionic Power 10d8)
    14. Fighter: (Extra Attack 2; Psionic Power 10d10)
    15. Fighter: Sharpshooter feat
    16. Fighter: (Indomitable 2/long rest)
    17. Fighter: Resilient feat - boost Wis +1; (Psionic Power 12d10)
    18. Fighter: (Bulwark of Force)
    19. Fighter: Lucky feat
    20. Fighter: (Action Surge 2/short rest; Indomitable 3/long rest; Psionic Power 12d12)

Spoiler: Typical Artificer Spell Preparations
    Show
    1. (3/day) absorb elements, detect magic, disguise self, expeditious retreat, faerie fire, identify, magic missile, thunderwave
    Last edited by Draz74; 2020-11-21 at 02:52 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

25. - Top - End - #775

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DevanAvalon View Post
    So, for Aberrant Mind and Clockwork Soul sorcs, you get a list of spells that are always prepared, and can be swapped for any spell of certain schools of magic from wizard, sorc, OR warlock spell lists on level up. So I wanted to put it out there for the more smart bois and gals. What cool "always prepared" shenanigans can we get up to with Sorcerer using these?
    Here's what I came up with (with the help of TheUser) for Aberrant Mind, for a Half-Elf (Actor) build. Shenanigans abound.

The Master-mind
    Half-Elf (Actor) - Subtle, Careful, [Quicken]:
    1 - Mage Armor, Shield, [Sleep, Dissonant Whispers]
    2 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | [Sleep, Dissonant Whispers]
    3 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | Phantasmal Force, [Sleep, Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Suggestion]
    4 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Disguise Self | Phantasmal Force | [Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Suggestion]
    5 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Disguise Self | - | Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball, [Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Suggestion, Hunger of Hadar, Clairvoyance]
    6 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Disguise Self | - | Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball, Counterspell, [Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Suggestion, Hunger of Hadar, Clairvoyance]
    7 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Disguise Self | - | Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball, Counterspell | Sickening Radiance, [Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Suggestion, Hunger of Hadar, Clairvoyance, Black Tentacles, Charm Monster]
    8 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Disguise Self | - | Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball, Counterspell | Sickening Radiance, Dimension Door [Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Suggestion, Hunger of Hadar, Clairvoyance, Black Tentacles, Charm Monster]
    9 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Disguise Self | - | Hypnotic Pattern, Tidal Wave, Counterspell | Sickening Radiance, Dimension Door | Synaptic Static, [Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Suggestion, Hunger of Hadar, Clairvoyance, Black Tentacles, Charm Monster, Modify Memory, Telekinesis]
    10- Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Disguise Self | - | Hypnotic Pattern, Tidal Wave, Counterspell | Sickening Radiance, Dimension Door | Synaptic Static, Animate Objects, [Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Suggestion, Hunger of Hadar, Clairvoyance, Black Tentacles, Charm Monster, Modify Memory, Telekinesis]

[ ] = Origin Spells

I might expand this into a full-fledged build post later, but honestly, almost everything you need to know for the build is here.

26. - Top - End - #776

Griffon

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone has worked out a gunmage style build using the mix of Wizard: Bladesinger, Fighter: Psi Warrior, and Artificer: Artillerist or Armorer. This will allow you to have a gunner style character, who with a mix of these class abilities, will have access to very high armor class, damage reduction, and a deadly alpha strike. It will take a bit of set up to get it all working but the sheer effects available are terrifying if paying attention to action economy.

It will be basically functional by level 6, but at 9 it gets better, and at 12 is ready to go in any direction you like, I have extended it out to level 15, as I am not sure what to do after that. Basically the armorer version is built to enhance speed, AC, and be even more SAD, while the Artillerist version is either a focused blaster or an acid turret with extreme THP, and damage reduction as a defense.

Spoiler: Artillerist Version
    Show
    Artillerist as a Gun Mage
    High Elf or Variant Human, Bladesinger Wizard: 6, Psi Warrior: Fighter 3 / Artillerist: Artificer 3
    Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10

Proficiencies: Athletics, Investigation, Perception, Athletics, Performance; Sailor: Navigator's tools, Vehicles Water (I just really like perception.)
    Cantrips: Acid Splash, Fire Bolt, Mending, Booming Blade
    Wizard 2: Training in War & Song, Blade Song
    Wizard 4: Crossbow Expert or Intelligence +2 either works...
    Wizard 6: Extra Attack (note The 2nd part is very important!)

Fighter 1: Fighting Style: Defense, Second Wind
    Fighter 2: (Action Surge 1/short rest)
    Fighter 3: (Psionic Power 4d6; Protective Field; Psionic Strike; Telekinetic Movement)

Artificer 1: Guidance & Thorn Whip; (Thieves' Tools & Tinker's Tools proficiency; Spellcasting; Magical Tinkering)
    Artificer 2: Enhanced Defense & Enhanced Arcane Focus & Mind Sharpener & Replicate Magic Item
    Artificer 3: Eldritch Cannon

Fighter 4: +2 Intelligence ASI
    Artificer 4: +2 intelligence ASI, or Crossbow Expert if you didn't take it last time.
    Artificer 5: Arcane Firearm

Combat at level 12:
    Round 1, Action Cast: Haste, Action Surge: Summon Eldritch Cannon, Haste Action: Cast attack cantrip using blade singer's Extra Attack, Bonus Action: Blade Song
    -This sets you up to 18+ armor class, +8 or higher to hit, 1d6+4 subtracted from damage up to 4 times...

Round 2: Action Attack + Cantrip, Haste Action: Attack as Cantrip, Bonus Action: Eldritch Cannon
    Damage Options
    -2 x Acid Splash + Crossbow + Force Ballista: Up to 15d6+2 if you have 2 suitable targets...
    -2 x Firebolt + Crossbow + Force Ballista: 6d10 + 3d6 + 2 if attacking a suitable single target...
    -2 x Thorn Whip + Crossbow + Force Ballista: 9d6+ 2, only useful if a creature is resistant to the other damage types.

Combat at level 15:
    Round 2: 2d8 damage to each of those attack patterns...

Spoiler: Armorer Version
    Show

Variant Human: Dual Wielder, Bladesinger Wizard: 6, Psi Warrior: Fighter 3 / Artillerist: Artificer 3
    Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10

Proficiencies: Arcana, Investigation, Perception, Stealth, Performance; Homemade: Navigator's tools, Vehicles Land (Stealth, & Perception.)
    Cantrips: Acid Splash, Fire Bolt, Mending, Booming Blade
    Wizard 2: Training in War & Song, Blade Song
    Wizard 4: Intelligence +2 either works...
    Wizard 6: Extra Attack (note The 2nd part is very important!)

Fighter 1: Fighting Style: Defense, Second Wind
    Fighter 2: (Action Surge 1/short rest)
    Fighter 3: (Psionic Power 4d6; Protective Field; Psionic Strike; Telekinetic Movement)

Artificer 1: Guidance & Thorn Whip; (Thieves' Tools & Tinker's Tools proficiency; Spellcasting; Magical Tinkering)
    Artificer 2: Enhanced Defense & Enhanced Arcane Focus & Mind Sharpener & Replicate Magic Item
    Artificer 3: Armorer with Inflitrator style power armor...

Benefits: This version would switch over to using its lighting launchers, increases your armor class even further and is much stealthier allowing for ambush haste casting, and have ridiculous movement speed for a human at 45' per movement action or 90 with Haste! This also lets you to be even more SAD favoring intelligence.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Celestial Generalist might be my favorite DnD build ever.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Crystal-Covered Crusher

The basic idea here is simple, a Psi Warrior who uses an Artificer dip to become Int-SAD, with Lightning Launcher as its main weapon. You can have a pretty good AC (20 or 21) without tanking your Stealth skill (plate armor, shield, Enhanced Defense infusion). I'm not counting on the Customizing Your Origin rules being in play (and I don't like the ability-score-swapping option), but if these rules are fair game, the Hobgoblin proficiency features become three tool proficiencies of your choice; very flavorful!
    Have you tried this character yet at lower levels? I am pondering making a warforged psi-warrior/artificer battlesmith, but am wondering if it'll be worth it. I figure battlesmith because it allows him to use his intelligence for all weapons with an infusion, it allows him to boost his AC (warforged and infusions), and is able to do considerably more damage than with the armourer weapons. I'm trying to make him a front line warrior, and he's meant to be protecting one of the PCs, so I love the idea that I can hurl the PC out of harm's way whenever I like!

Any thoughts? :)

29. - Top - End - #779
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Have you tried this character yet at lower levels?
    I haven't, and I do worry that it's the type of build that only "gets going" in the mid-levels.

To play at low levels, might need to sacrifice some other ability scores to get better Dex.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Crystal-Covered Crusher

Hobgoblin, Inheritor, Psi Warrior Fighter 17 / Armorer Artificer 3
    Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 11, Cha 10
    Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival, Arcana, Stealth; customized origin variant: three Tools of your choice.
    1. Fighter: Archery fighting style; (Second Wind)
    2. Fighter: (Action Surge 1/short rest)
    3. Fighter: (Psionic Power 4d6; Protective Field; Psionic Strike; Telekinetic Movement)
    4. Fighter: Fey Touched feat - boost Int +1 - gift of alacrity & misty step
    5. Fighter: (Extra Attack 1; Psionic Power 6d8)
    6. Artificer: guidance & thorn whip; (Thieves' Tools & Tinker's Tools proficiency; Spellcasting; Magical Tinkering)
    7. Artificer: Enhanced Defense & Homunculus Servant & Mind Sharpener & Replicate Magic Item: Sending Stones infusions; (Infuse Item)
    8. Artificer: Armor Model - Infiltrator; (Armorer Spells - magic missile & thunderwave; Smith's Tools proficiency; Arcane Armor; The Right Tool for the Job)
    9. Fighter: Skill Expert feat - boost Int +1 - History proficiency - Arcana expertise; (Psionic Power 8d8)
    10. Fighter: (Psi-Powered Leap; Telekinetic Thrust)
    11. Fighter: boost Int +2
    12. Fighter: (Indomitable 1/long rest)
    13. Fighter: (Guarded Mind; Psionic Power 10d8)
    14. Fighter: (Extra Attack 2; Psionic Power 10d10)
    15. Fighter: Sharpshooter feat
    16. Fighter: (Indomitable 2/long rest)
    17. Fighter: Resilient feat - boost Wis +1; (Psionic Power 12d10)
    18. Fighter: (Bulwark of Force)
    19. Fighter: Lucky feat
    20. Fighter: (Action Surge 2/short rest; Indomitable 3/long rest; Psionic Power 12d12)

Spoiler: Typical Artificer Spell Preparations
    Show
    1. (3/day) absorb elements, detect magic, disguise self, expeditious retreat, faerie fire, identify, magic missile, thunderwave
    So, if the ability score swaps are in play, what race becomes optimal here? I do like the idea.