New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

@BarneyBent, unfortunately, you can’t take Shield and Find Familiar as an AT, at least not at level 4. Only one spell can be from outside illusion and enchantment at that level.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    @BarneyBent, unfortunately, you can’t take Shield and Find Familiar as an AT, at least not at level 4. Only one spell can be from outside illusion and enchantment at that level.
    Bah crap you’re right. I was thinking ahead but then scaled back the build to level 8 for simplicity and cut down the spells known to the must haves (for AT) but forgot to account for that.

I’d probably favour Find Familiar before Shield. Take Shield later when enemy hit bonuses start getting higher and that extra 5 AC becomes invaluable. You’ve still got Mirror Image if needed.
    Last edited by BarneyBent; 2019-07-23 at 01:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    At this point, I'd like to challenge the thread to make an effective DPR/gish build that uses neither the SCAGtrips nor Hexblade's Curse. For an extra challenge, no Paladin.
    Fighter (EK) 12 / (any full caster) using Shadow Blade. Make 3 attacks with a 4d8 shadow blade. Add cleric for spirtual weapon bonus action damage, Sorcerer for bonus action spells, or whisper bard for extra psychic damage....

More info here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...75&postcount=2 (second build)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=19

4. - Top - End - #244

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
    Fighter (EK) 12 / (any full caster) using Shadow Blade. Make 3 attacks with a 4d8 shadow blade. Add cleric for spirtual weapon bonus action damage, Sorcerer for bonus action spells, or whisper bard for extra psychic damage....

More info here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...75&postcount=2 (second build)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=19
    I've always thought Eldritch Knight 11/Tempest Cleric 9 could be a fun combo. Cast Shadow Blade, wade into the fray, attacking everyone in range, then next turn, attack three more targets, and Action Surge to cast a maximized Destructive Wave, making everyone around you save for 47.5 average damage, at disadvantage for everyone you hit.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

I tend to refer to EK/caster builds that use Shadow Blade as "Soulknife" builds. They have a lot of potential. And one of the fun things about it is that there's so many combinations that work. Bard, Wizard, Cleric, Sorcerer, all go well off of EK 12.

For the EK / Cleric route, the Death Domain is a stand-out choice. The Channel Divinity essentially lets you tack a considerable chunk of nigh-unmissable damage onto your already-formidable Action Surge. With 8 levels in it, you're basically boosting your Action Surge DPR by a straight 42, just from the Channel Divinity.

Other domains that fit with an EK are Tempest (mostly for the AoE options), War (lets you get a BA attack with a Shadow Blade, and turn misses into hits), and maybe Forge (less relevant if you're expecting to get magic armor at tier 3+).

As an aside, it's also possible to go BM 11 / Fullcaster 9 and end up with 5th level spells.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2019-07-23 at 04:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Has anyone taken a look at mixing Warlock with Wizard: Warmage dips for some interesting generalist builds? I was thinking that taking that 2 level dip into wizard provides a lot for the Celestial Warlock Generalist from the 1st page of this forum, especially with a paladin in your party as that could definitely crank out some bonuses to your saves.

7. - Top - End - #247

RedWizardGuy

If I may throw in a request, it would be nice to see an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight (or both) build posted :)

8. - Top - End - #248

RogueGuy

I made an EK/Cleric five years ago! It was great fun and devastatingly effective even before all the new toys came out. I'd build it a little differently now, but it's fantastic and painless to level up.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

Behold Arcie the ridiculously lucky Arcane Trickster (Reinhart Coralis MacRory, I'm curious to see who knows where that comes from).

Stout Halfling for the +1 Con and Dwarf-like Poison resistance. You want to get your hands on a pair of Night Vision Goggles as soon as possible. This starts you off with Lucky, Brave, Nimble & Stout Resistance. All winners.

Point buy:
    Str 8
    Dex 15 +2 for racials= 17 +1 at level 4= 18
    Con 13 +1 for racials= 14
    Int 14
    Wis 12
    Cha 10
    8 hp
    Skills: Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth (expertise), Arcana, Investigation & Perception (expertise)

Level 1 Rogue: 10hp, Expertise, d6 Sneak Attack & Thieves Cant
    Level 2 Rogue: d8+2 HP and Cunning Action
    Level 3 Rogue: d8+2 HP, 2d6 Sneak Attack & Arcane Trickster (Mage Hand Legerdemain)
    Spells: Mage Hand/Light/Booming Blade & Find Familiar (unlimited spell)/Disguise Self/Sleep (soon to be swapped out)
    Level 4 Rogue: d8+2 HP, Spell: Silent Image & and ASI (Squat Nimbleness gives you a +1 to dex to even it out. It bumps up your speed from 25' to 30'. It also gives you acrobatics. The group I play in rule that if you already have the skill, then you get expertise in it. If your group is different, then you have a spare skill to pass around. This also gives you advantage on any escape grappling checks. This is a racial feat in Xanathar's.
    Level 5 Rogue: d8+2hp, 3d6 Sneak Attack & Uncanny Dodge
    Level 6 Rogue: d8+2hp & Expertise. I would put this in Investigation and another of your choice depending on how you want to play.
    Level 7 Rogue: d8+2hp, 4d6 Sneak Attack, Evasion & you get 2nd level Spells (4/2). This is an important level as your restriction to Enchantment/Illusion spells gets good with level 2 spells. You have access to Invisibility/Mirror Image/Phantasmal Force/Shadow Blade/Suggestion. Swap out Sleep and pick the two of these spells that best suit your play style.
    Level 8 Rogue: d8+2hp, Another Unlimited spell, and an ASI. The unlimited spell could be Shield/Absorb Elements from level 1. It could be something as simple as Dragon's Breath, Misty Step or Web from level 2. It all depends on how you play. You have many choices with your ASI. 18 dex is respectable but 20 is even better. This character is meant to be lucky, so really there are only 2 choices. Go with the obvious and get the feat Lucky to complement your Halfling Luck. Or return to Xanathar's and help the party by getting Bountiful Luck. I don't have to explain the benefits of Lucky. It matches nicely with character and is a nice power boost. The less obvious choice is to go with Bountiful Luck. The ability to expend your reaction and save a party member from disaster can be crucial. The same goes for those moments when you have to hit and your paladin rolls a 1. This doesn't wear out unlike Lucky. You end up lending your luck to your teammates. I plan on getting both in the long run.
    Level 9 Wizard: d6+2. This helps plug all those spellcasting holes from being only an Arcane Trickster. You get 3 new cantrips (Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation,Toll the Dead). You get a spell book with 6 spells in it (plugging holes with Shield, Detect Magic,Identify, Guiding Hand, Healing Elixir, Snare). Now you can cast rituals. Throw in a little Arcane Recovery and this is nice. Yes... you lose a bit of Rogue progression, but there is a pay off for the character build in just a second.
    Level 10 Wizard: d6+2, 2 spells for the Spell Book (Mage Armour & Comprehend Languages). I keep picking spells that are rituals and give out of combat utility. This makes the character an insane skill monkey while simultaneously avoiding the potential pitfall of only having 14 in Intelligence. If you play this character correctly, the whole party will love you. Most parties check the wallets when they see a rogue coming. This one can steal, if necessary... but does so many things to strengthen the party without stealing the limelight.
    At level 2 in Wizard, you choose to specialize in Divination. You now have access to the Portent ability. You can now roll 2 d20's and substitute them for you, your party or the opponents' rolls depending on what you roll. This means you're leaning further into the 'Lucky' concept for the character. If necessary you have the ability to cause someone to auto fail or auto succeed... for your benefit.

This is essentially the point I've taken this character to. Admittedly, the DM allowed us to start off with a free racial feat. So I already have Squat Nimbleness, Bountiful Luck and Lucky. But the pathway is pretty much the same. My intention is to ride the utility of the Rogue Class and Arcane Trickster Sub class through to level 20. I will still get 3 more ASI's, a hefty sneak attack and loads of sneaky shenanigans.

p.s. I haven't really explained all the potential tricks you can pull with the Arcane Trickster as it has been said many times elsewhere and applies equally here. The concept of the character is to get as many 'luck-bending' effects packed into one character for the benefit of yourself and the rest of the party. Throw in ritual magic and the skill monkey framework and you should be able to do something in every situation without stealing anyone else' thunder.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GorogIrongut View Post
    Behold Arcie the ridiculously lucky Arcane Trickster (Reinhart Coralis MacRory, I'm curious to see who knows where that comes from).
    Villains By Necessity? Even if I'm wrong, it's a good read. Love these builds as I am a 3.5 grognard being brought up to speed by the rest of my group.
    "Bender knows love, and love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"- Bender Bending Rodriguez

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xaotiq1 View Post
    Villains By Necessity? Even if I'm wrong, it's a good read.
    You my friend win the prize! One of the better fantasy reads out there.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Next build will probably be one of the following:

- A build I've taken to referring to as "the soulknife." A stealthy, unarmored frontliner Eldritch Knight / War Wizard build that's durable, sticky, high DPR, lots of utility, and about as gear-independent as it gets. They basically summon all of their armaments using abilities like Mage Armor and Shadow Blade. One of the upshots of using Mage Armor is that you can get the AC of plate while using a Dex build, and retain full stealth capabilities. Combines great with the "Shape Element" and Minor Illusion cantrips since they don't have Verbal components.

- A Shadar-Kai Sharpshooter Samurai, because I got asked about it earlier. A simple yet very reliable DPR core for any party that scales incredibly well with buffs/party synergy. I consider Samurai to be one of the Fighter subclasses with the highest potential (along with Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight), and the post would highlight why along with DPR analysis and the like.

- A Shifter Inquisitor of the Silver Flame. A blaster/hunter Cleric from Eberron that brings a lot of damage and detection abilities.

If any of those sound interesting lemme know.
    Would love to see any of these still, if you've got the time, Ludic. Love how much effort you put into making them, so if you don't, that's cool too. 9 great builds are better than most other posters can put out!

13. - Top - End - #253

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by GorogIrongut View Post

Stout Halfling for the +1 Con and Dwarf-like Poison resistance. You want to get your hands on a pair of Night Vision Goggles as soon as possible. This starts you off with Lucky, Brave, Nimble & Stout Resistance. All winners.

Point buy:
    Str 8
    Dex 15 +2 for racials= 17 +1 at level 4= 18
    Con 13 +1 for racials= 14
    Int 14
    Wis 12
    Cha 10
    8 hp
    Skills: Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth (expertise), Arcana, Investigation & Perception (expertise)

Level 1 Rogue: 10hp, Expertise, d6 Sneak Attack & Thieves Cant
    Level 2 Rogue: d8+2 HP and Cunning Action
    Level 3 Rogue: d8+2 HP, 2d6 Sneak Attack & Arcane Trickster (Mage Hand Legerdemain)
    Spells: Mage Hand/Light/Booming Blade & Find Familiar (unlimited spell)/Disguise Self/Sleep (soon to be swapped out)
    Level 4 Rogue: d8+2 HP, Spell: Silent Image & and ASI (Squat Nimbleness gives you a +1 to dex to even it out. It bumps up your speed from 25' to 30'. It also gives you acrobatics. The group I play in rule that if you already have the skill, then you get expertise in it. If your group is different, then you have a spare skill to pass around. This also gives you advantage on any escape grappling checks. This is a racial feat in Xanathar's.
    Level 5 Rogue: d8+2hp, 3d6 Sneak Attack & Uncanny Dodge
    Level 6 Rogue: d8+2hp & Expertise. I would put this in Investigation and another of your choice depending on how you want to play.
    Level 7 Rogue: d8+2hp, 4d6 Sneak Attack, Evasion & you get 2nd level Spells (4/2). This is an important level as your restriction to Enchantment/Illusion spells gets good with level 2 spells. You have access to Invisibility/Mirror Image/Phantasmal Force/Shadow Blade/Suggestion. Swap out Sleep and pick the two of these spells that best suit your play style.
    Level 8 Rogue: d8+2hp, Another Unlimited spell, and an ASI. The unlimited spell could be Shield/Absorb Elements from level 1. It could be something as simple as Dragon's Breath, Misty Step or Web from level 2. It all depends on how you play. You have many choices with your ASI. 18 dex is respectable but 20 is even better. This character is meant to be lucky, so really there are only 2 choices. Go with the obvious and get the feat Lucky to complement your Halfling Luck. Or return to Xanathar's and help the party by getting Bountiful Luck. I don't have to explain the benefits of Lucky. It matches nicely with character and is a nice power boost. The less obvious choice is to go with Bountiful Luck. The ability to expend your reaction and save a party member from disaster can be crucial. The same goes for those moments when you have to hit and your paladin rolls a 1. This doesn't wear out unlike Lucky. You end up lending your luck to your teammates. I plan on getting both in the long run.
    Level 9 Wizard: d6+2. This helps plug all those spellcasting holes from being only an Arcane Trickster. You get 3 new cantrips (Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation,Toll the Dead). You get a spell book with 6 spells in it (plugging holes with Shield, Detect Magic,Identify, Guiding Hand, Healing Elixir, Snare). Now you can cast rituals. Throw in a little Arcane Recovery and this is nice. Yes... you lose a bit of Rogue progression, but there is a pay off for the character build in just a second.
    Level 10 Wizard: d6+2, 2 spells for the Spell Book (Mage Armour & Comprehend Languages). I keep picking spells that are rituals and give out of combat utility. This makes the character an insane skill monkey while simultaneously avoiding the potential pitfall of only having 14 in Intelligence. If you play this character correctly, the whole party will love you. Most parties check the wallets when they see a rogue coming. This one can steal, if necessary... but does so many things to strengthen the party without stealing the limelight.
    At level 2 in Wizard, you choose to specialize in Divination. You now have access to the Portent ability. You can now roll 2 d20's and substitute them for you, your party or the opponents' rolls depending on what you roll. This means you're leaning further into the 'Lucky' concept for the character. If necessary you have the ability to cause someone to auto fail or auto succeed... for your benefit.

This is essentially the point I've taken this character to. Admittedly, the DM allowed us to start off with a free racial feat. So I already have Squat Nimbleness, Bountiful Luck and Lucky. But the pathway is pretty much the same. My intention is to ride the utility of the Rogue Class and Arcane Trickster Sub class through to level 20. I will still get 3 more ASI's, a hefty sneak attack and loads of sneaky shenanigans.

p.s. I haven't really explained all the potential tricks you can pull with the Arcane Trickster as it has been said many times elsewhere and applies equally here. The concept of the character is to get as many 'luck-bending' effects packed into one character for the benefit of yourself and the rest of the party. Throw in ritual magic and the skill monkey framework and you should be able to do something in every situation without stealing anyone else' thunder.
    I love this! I’m currently playing an AT, and I have the same stats and skills as you. My guy is an eladrin though, and I’m only at level 4.

Anyway, I’m thinking of a similar progression as yours, and seeing you map it out looks great. There’s no wizard or sorcerer in my party, and I’m really looking forward to some kind of wizard dip for my character in the future. Conjuration, divination, and bladesong all offer great level 2 benefits.

Again, thank you for some guidance.

14. - Top - End - #254

GreenSorcererElf

Hey Ludic, how would you adjust the Arcana Cleric Frontliner to function if Variant Human was off the table as a race option? Just skip Magic Initiate and pray for a strength-booster?

15. - Top - End - #255

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Evaar View Post
    Hey Ludic, how would you adjust the Arcana Cleric Frontliner to function if Variant Human was off the table as a race option? Just skip Magic Initiate and pray for a strength-booster?
    Just take Magic Initiate at level 4.
    Play a Human, a Hill Dwarf, a Wood Elf, etc. The double booming blade wont come on line until level 8 is the drawback.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Playing around with a fun idea. Living sun celestial Sorcerer. A character whose magic actually is powered by nuclear fission.

Basically an Aasimar that at some points will “let the light inside out” by quick casting spirit guardians and activating radiant consumption.

Other fun fluffy spells are obviously sunbeam and sunburst, but also sickening radiance (refluff as reaction to overpowering heat), minute meteors or even sanctuary (too blinded to attack)

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Here's one I wrote up. Hopefully no one else already posted something similar. This is a comprehensive take on the ever-popular repelling blast Sorlock, but with some enhancements.

YEET
    The halfling who got tired of people throwing him, so he decided to turn the tables.

Concept is to chuck enemies at high velocities. This is a focused controller build with an emphasis on moving enemies around the battlefield and forcing them out of position, and the build does decent damage to boot. This build works great if you have an ally who can lay down hazards that do damage whenever a creature moves through them, such as Spike Growth.

Basic requirements:
    • Halfling (lightfoot for CHA)
    • Warlock (any) 2+ (hexblade is ideal for the armor and shield)
      • Repelling Blast, Agonizing Blast
    • Sorcerer (any) 4+
      • Feat: Crossbow Expert
      • Quicken, Careful (so we can avoid our allies with persistent effects)

What you do: throw things. Throw all of the things. This is your basic round-to-round bread and butter.
    • Repelling Blast has no save. Targets of any size are forced to move.
    • Push creatures into things, such as traps or hazards or their own allies
    • Crossbow expert allows eldritch blast in melee range without disadvantage, so you can throw the target exactly the direction you want to. Get into melee, position yourself, then YEET in the desired direction.
    • Halfling Nimbleness: you can move through the space of larger creatures. This allows you to move beneath a creature, point at their underside, and cast Eldritch Blast to YEET them straight into the air.
      • Also note that, due to this feature, you can position yourself at exactly the correct angle to launch foes in diagonal directions. If you need to throw someone over a wall, you probably can.
      • The ability to throw targets in any direction, including upward, is this build's primary boon over a normal Sorlock.
    • Quicken allows you to throw eldritch blast twice in one turn for up to forty feet of forced movement at level 6, and more at higher levels.

Bonus points
    • You're a Sorlock, meaning you can turn unused short rest spell slots into sorcery points to fuel metamagic and restore your Sorcerer spell slots.
    • You're an annoying halfling.

Some recommended spell choices for flavor:
    • Lightning Lure
    • Gust
    • Gust of Wind
    • Thunderwave
    • Armor of Agathys
    • Cloud of Daggers (sample AoE to push creatures into)

For a different flavor, take Fog Cloud and then continuously push creatures into it with EB so they can't leave. You can hold an Eldritch Blast and release it in response to an enemy exiting the cloud.

Scalable: there are plenty of higher level sorcerer spells that create AoE effects nobody wants to be pushed into. Stinking Cloud and Sickening Radiance are two examples. Careful works well with these and is generally great for a controller-style character, which you are. You can Quicken one of these behind an enemy and then blast that enemy into it.

Customizable: works with any combination of warlock pacts, warlock patrons, sorcerous origins, and other spell choices. Want to be a celestial warlock or divine soul and tell enemies to get their filthy hands off of your people? You can. Want to be a small Jedi wielding a magical Hexblade sword and using the force? That works, complete with force damage. Want to pick up stinking cloud and similar spells and refluff all of this as lethal flatulence? I mean, sure…
    Last edited by Trickery; 2019-08-29 at 11:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

Comments, critiques, and things I forgot to add would be greatly appreciated!

Tesla Coils
    The ideal of the blaster is always the pursuit of maximum damage with minimum risk to the party.

How electrifying!

Gnome Tempest Cleric 2/Evocation Wizard 18
    Stats (Point Buy): 16 Int / 14 Dex / 13 Wis / 13 Con / 13 Cha / 8 Str

ASIs: 20 Int, Resilient (+1 Con), +1 Wis/+1 Cha.

To increase synergy with Magic Jar, 16 Int / 14 Cha / 13 Wis / 13 Con / 12 Dex / 8 Str is also viable.

Spoiler: Race Choice
    Show
    Our race is gnome, for a few reasons.

First, the ability scores are right where we want them. +2 Intelligence and +1 Dexterity mean we don't need any more ASIs than necessary to max int. +1 Dex allows you to meet multiclassing requirements and keep 14 Dex to get the most out of Medium Armor Proficiency.

Second, Small Size. This is a surprising boon in many cases—being able to hide in your (racially-granted!) Minor Illusion does a lot for your survivability. More importantly, however, is your 40lb weight. Most people will be able to carry you around in the case you become unconscious, which will be rather important later on.

Third, Gnome Cunning. Advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws give you great chances to resist some of the nastiest effects in the Monster Manual... and more importantly, your own spells. Advantage against your own Contact Other Plane and Magic Jar effects, allowing you to abuse them for value too risky for most PCs.

There's a few other benefits to Forest Gnome, including an extra cantrip and the opportunity to use your higher-than-average Charisma and your ability to communicate with small animals. As any druid character can tell you, a fly on the wall can be an excellent spy.

The build is about the maximum abuse of two abilities: Overchannel and Destructive Wrath.

Throughout your entire career, Destructive Wrath provides an enormous damage booster that puts you head and shoulders above most other blasters. At level 5, you can drop a Shatter spell that deals 32 damage in a party-friendly AoE. While it's a fraction of the spread of Fireball, it's a far less resisted type, and hits for 4 more points of damage on average—which keeps you on par with the Red Dragonblood Sorcerer's Fireball at level 6, with all the benefits of Sculpt Spell.

At level 7, you get the ability to maximize Lightning Bolt, hitting enemies for 48 damage apiece, and skipping allies in the line. For reference, that's 3 points higher than the damage of the 6th level spell Chain Lightning, and nearly 1/3rd more damage than Cone of Cold. Once per short rest, but 2-4 levels before anyone else in the party. To say nothing of your later ability to deal 320 damage with a single casting of Chain Lightning.

The build really comes into its own, however, at level 16, with the introduction of Overchannel and access to both Magic Jar and Simulacrum. The combo is simple, really: Your Simulacrum casts Magic Jar. Carry the jar around with you until you find a humanoid enemy that seems durable enough to take a few hits, then have your Simulacrum possess it, and presto! A whole sack of extremely disposable HP to use while your Simulacrum can spam every spell in its loadout at maximum damage. For a maximum nova round, your simulacrum should have an 8th level slot left over from your preparations, and a Destructive Wrath that it has no business using when Overchannel would do. A single Maximized level 8 Chain Lightning can deal 85 damage to six targets—and you can follow up to do the same. That's 1,020 damage over six targets at level 16.

If your simulacrum's body is destroyed, with a 14 Charisma and your Cleric-based Proficiency in Cha saves, it has a 75% chance of popping straight back into the jar safe and sound, assuming it couldn't bail out earlier in its turn. You're free to play with your Simulacrum's tactics as well, of course, though it is a bit risky. Then again, if someone in the party has Revivify on hand, what's the risk? It's not like your real body needs anything more than its one HP to use Magic Jar effectively, right?

The real fun comes at level 19, at the very end of your career, when you gain access to Shapechange and Wish. With Wish, of course, you can obtain the benefits of the Find Greater Steed spell, and share the benefits of Shapechange with it. And your Simulacrum is able to cast as well...

To cut a long story short, 240+12d10 Lightning damage from three Adult Blue Dragons breath weapons is not technically the highest damage you can do with your 9th level slots, but it is cathartic beyond compare.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2019-08-30 at 01:45 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What about a build dedicated to making a enemy fail saving throws? Is there anything beyond your basic Divination Wiz 2/Lore Bard X?

20. - Top - End - #260

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    What about a build dedicated to making a enemy fail saving throws? Is there anything beyond your basic Divination Wiz 2/Lore Bard X?
    WM17/Whatever 3 (Spitballing on this one)

Bend Luck + Heightened is a thing wild magic does. -8.5 unoptimized on a dc19 save is close to autofail territory. With standard issue save boosters available via treasure points our save DC in tier 4 should look more like 25 giving us an "effective DC" of 33ish in AL. (Outside of AL at a random drops table our DC can be assumed to be even higher as books drop with enough frequency to push 30 Cha. It's dumb and I'll just go with AL numbers for consistancy)

I'm fudging a bit for simplicity but at this point our spells just stick as nothing is packing full resists of +13 and nothing is packing full +8 & advantage. Assuming frequent surges we can do this all day every day with 3 levels open for not-save charOP.

No idea how to burn those open levels on amping saves in a relevant manner. I'd just burn em on bulk and spells known personally.
    Last edited by Nhorianscum; 2019-08-30 at 09:43 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Comments, critiques, and things I forgot to add would be greatly appreciated!

The build really comes into its own, however, at level 16, with the introduction of Overchannel and access to both Magic Jar and Simulacrum. The combo is simple, really: Your Simulacrum casts Magic Jar. Carry the jar around with you until you find a humanoid enemy that seems durable enough to take a few hits, then have your Simulacrum possess it, and presto! A whole sack of extremely disposable HP to use while your Simulacrum can spam every spell in its loadout at maximum damage. For a maximum nova round, your simulacrum should have an 8th level slot left over from your preparations, and a Destructive Wrath that it has no business using when Overchannel would do. A single Maximized level 8 Chain Lightning can deal 85 damage to six targets—and you can follow up to do the same. That's 1,020 damage over six targets at level 16.

If your simulacrum's body is destroyed, with a 14 Charisma and your Cleric-based Proficiency in Cha saves, it has a 75% chance of popping straight back into the jar safe and sound, assuming it couldn't bail out earlier in its turn. You're free to play with your Simulacrum's tactics as well, of course, though it is a bit risky. Then again, if someone in the party has Revivify on hand, what's the risk? It's not like your real body needs anything more than its one HP to use Magic Jar effectively, right?

I love this build, thanks for posting! I do have one concern about the Magic Jar - Simulacrum combo - it may be a little GM-dependent as to whether or not the Simulacrum has a soul to use for possession. It's not in the spells' descriptions either way as far as I can tell, but the process to make a simulacrum leverages another being's detritus; I could see DMs ruling that either way.
    Still, that doesn't really affect the overall build, which looks both fun and effective. Well done!

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    Would love to see any of these still, if you've got the time, Ludic. Love how much effort you put into making them, so if you don't, that's cool too.
    Hey! Rest assured, I will be posting more when I have time to sit down and crank stuff out (and don't have too many other projects begging my attention at the time).
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Curious how you would build dark/death knight type character? Multi class allowed ofc. Been thinking Oathbreaker 7 Necromancer 13 fits the bill pretty well. Or 8/12
    Last edited by Spacehamster; 2019-08-31 at 09:33 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Hey! Rest assured, I will be posting more when I have time to sit down and crank stuff out (and don't have too many other projects begging my attention at the time).
    Thanks Ludic!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

I have been trying for a while now to make the Four Elements Monk somewhat optimized. I had a version that was... ok for a three-round nova, but it had no staying power. If anybody has cracked that nut, I would be really interested to see it.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default The UberMage

I've been trying to decide whether to play the nuclear wizard, the iron-hobgoblin wizard, the tiefling masochist, the tesla coil, or the TSAR. for an upcoming two-PC Descent Into Avernus game. They all seem like a lot of fun, and I was struggling to decide between them.

The more I looked at them, though, the more convinced I became that you can have your cake and eat it too. Note: I've only added a little to this build; credit goes to the posters above for the core. Also, this build was inspired by caffeine-induced insomnia, so apologies in advance for any errors.
    I give you:

The Ubermage

Feral Winged Tiefling Tempest Cleric 2 / Hexblade 1 / War Wizard 17
    8 Str, 14 Dex, 12 Con, 16 Int, 13 Wis, 13 Cha (Point Buy)
    ASI (18 Int)
    ASI (20 Int)
    Res (Con)
    Infernal Constitution
    Orzhov Background, if allowed, for spirit guardians
    Saves (when you spend a reaction): Str +1 (+3), Dex +2 (+6), Con +7 (+11), Int +5 (+9), Wis +7 (+11), Cha +7 (+11)

You wear half-plate and use a shield, have a natural fly speed of 30 ft., and have resistance to fire, cold, and poison. While you're concentrating on a spell - (like hex) your AC is 20, and you can bump that to 22 with a reaction and not casting anything other than a cantrip the next turn, or to 25 by burning a spell slot. (If you can get ahold of boots of striding and springing, you can safely wear plate despite your low strength, and this cranks up to 22 natively / 24 or 27 when you need to use a reaction after being hit.) You have 4 saves above +8 when you use a reaction to bump them (with Arcane Deflection), and you have +7 to initiative.

Tiefling Masochist - You lose Flames of Phlegethos' bonus to fire damage and Cloak of Flies, but you can upcast Armor of Agathys to give yourself more cold damage per turn. If you burn a 6th level slot for it, you are actually at 75 retributive damage per turn, rather than the masochist's 69.5. (Armor of Agathys, Fire Shield, Spirit Guardians, Wrath of the Storm, and Deflecting Shroud).

Iron Hobgoblin - The above makes you almost as durable as the Iron Hobgoblin. You have a lower Constitution, no Arcane Ward, and no magic resistance, but you (mostly) make up for the Arcane Ward with Armor of Agathys, Arcane Deflection gets you 1 away from the Iron Hobgoblin's saves, and Durable Magic consistently gives you an AC that the Iron Hobgoblin doesn't natively reach without the Shield spell. You're not quite as tanky, but you're close.

Tesla Coil - Your retributive damage helps with mook-slaying, but you also have some of the best AoE options available. You have the maximized lightning damage option, no Overchannel required, via Destructive Wrath, just like the Tesla Coil build. 360 damage chain lightning, once per short rest.

Nuclear Wizard - Want to nuke things with Magic Missile? You're not quite as good as the nuclear wizard, who gets (1d4+1 + 5 Evocation ability + 6 Hexblade's curse) = 14.5 damage per bolt * 11 bolts (159.5 damage total). It also takes you an extra bonus action to setup for Hex, but you get to (1d4 + 1 + 3.5 Hex + 6) = 13 damage per bolt * 11 bolts = 143 damage. 16 damage away isn't too shabby, even if you don't get to action surge, because...

TSAR Artificer - If you want to go all steam-punk mechwarrior, you can do so as well as the artificer. You burn two 5th-level slots for your Tiny Servants, have them animate as pieces of what amounts to a gatling gun mounted on your shoulder (to get around rules for how many Tiny creatures can occupy a space), and give them standing orders to fire a wand of magic missiles each time you shoot a magic missile at somebody. The original poster missed that wands can upcast magic missile, so your 10 Tiny Servants all launch 6th level magic missile spells at your same target. You can't shoot again until the wands regain their charges, but who cares? You've done 8 bolts * (1d4 + 1) damage * 10 servants = 280 damage, for about a 2000 gp investment in crafting wands. Boom - you're now Warmachine. Lay down a simulacrum doing the same thing, and for 4 grand of wands and 1500 in simulacrum, you deal 846 force damage per turn.

If you really want to go nuts, spend 40k and two years of downtime to make 10 wands of lightning bolt or fireball, and deal 80d6 (280) damage of either type on your turn (or double with the simulacrum); no better damage, but you or your unseen servant can keep turning the crank for 6 rounds in a row without burning out your wands.

The build doesn't quite outpace any other poster's build at their own game - but it feels a little like Dr. Doom: being the second best magic-user AND the second-best scientist in the dimension is not a bad place to be.
    Last edited by Story_Optimized; 2019-09-06 at 09:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure if this is up to the discussion thread standards but here goes...

General backstory: you are curious about a battle/invasion which was part of a larger war that killed or displaced you/ your family, or that set you back somehow ultimately causing you to hide in the shadows. Slowly, you start to come out of hiding and begin to inquire about the details of the war and you uncover some serious grevaince that has compelled right some wrong doings (enter multiclass with war cleric).

[Insert Cool Name Here]
    ....The Divine Conduit?

Inquisitive Rogue X / War Cleric 1 - 4

Progression: Rouge 3, Cleric 1, Rogue 4-5, Cleric 2-3, the rest as you see fit..

Race: wood elf, or ghostwise halfing,

I'm playing this one right now. Started with hill dwarf. But it think wood elf would be more optimal..

---Starting Ability Scores (point buy)---
    STR 8, DEX 14+2, CON 15, INT 10, WIS: 15+1, CHA: 8
    (Or something similar depending on race and other build preferences)

---ASI/FEATS---
    Definitely: +2 dex, Resilient con
    Maybe: lucky
    Honorable Mention: More Dex, skulker, tough, sharpshooter ain't bad, dual wielder, maybe +2 wis, maybe observant wisdom if you take one less in starting wis, maybe elven accuracy if you take elf)

---ARMOR CLASS---
    -Studded leather is cheap and let's you stealth with 16/17 ac
    -Could throw on full plate just for the hell of it as a dwarf or wood elf and would still have 25 base movement (assuming you dumped str)
    -Could throw on a shield for fun and go s&b if necessary.
    -Could cast shield of faith on self.
    Depending on situation and build choices you could have anywhere between 16-22 ac, with or without stealth disadvantage.

---SPELLS---
    - Bless. Bless, bless and more bless. Especially since we're not going to go above 4 when access to other more appealing concentration spells are available. Also, a little bless can go a long way, always.
    - Maybe guiding bolt if you wanna be cheeky.
    - This is the spell list I'm preparing most of the time (not including War Domain spells):
    Cantrips: guidance, resistance, mending
    Level 1: bless, healing word, sanctuary, (maybe protection from g&e)
    Level 2: prayer of healing, enhance ability, aid, lesser restoration, blindness/ deafness
    - There several other notable spells to prepare as well.
    - THIS: At 3-4 levels of cleric you get 6-7 lvl 1-2 spells slots total per long rest (over 2 times as many spells slots as a half caster class at the same level, this is at the greatest ratio of slots at any point of comparison between half casters and full casters) = more bless or whatever.

---SKILL PROFICIENCIES---
    - Definitely these ones: insight, perception
    - I also took these ones as a dwarf and outlander background: stealth, survival, athletics, and acrobatics
    - Other good ones: investigation, slight of hand... Idk there's room here for flavor...
    - Expertise: 1st level: insight, perception or stealth
    6th level: perception or stealth, flavor choice ( I am probably taking theives' tools)

---COMBAT/ PLAYSTYLE---
    - You're aware in and out of combat hopefully trying to stealth or do something cooler before combat starts. It's important to try to control the edges of combat. No one gets away or is able to hide. And you are ultra aware enough to blur the lines between "roll for initiative" and the end of the encounter.

- Survive as a rogue the best you can until Rogue 3/ cleric 1 where this build really comes online.

- First round: bless party members and insightful fighting on a tasty enemy on the fringes of the encounter, maybe target the ones who attack at range. (Basically to make best use of your insightful fighting and not have to reset it on a new enemy many times throughout the encounter) until you take it down (hopefully more individually).

- Then attack at range with longbow (use war priest--x3 uses per long rest--on important range misses to ensure sneak attack hits). Or attack up close and personal with a couple short swords. Use bonus action attack with off hand to help make sure your sneak attacks hit (use channel divinity: guided strike on important melee misses).

*Once you get resilient con it will be harder to lose concentration on bless or other concentration spells.

*Once you get skulker you can incorporate more sneaky ranged shenanigans AND be even better at spotting hidden enemies before and during combat.

* If you take lucky, you get 3 more make-sure-sneak-attack-hits resources to add on top of your 3 war priest uses and 1 channel divinity: guided strike for a grand total of 7 -- one of which is recharged every short rest

**If you take it all the way to level 20 and only take 3 levels of cleric total you can get Inquisitive rogue feature: eye for weakness (+3d6 more sneak attack die) but main build is online pretty early at lvl 4ish.

*** You get cool role playing and outside of combat utility as well with cleric spells, rogue skill expertises, skulker feat an/or other feats like lucky, and other inquisitive rogue/ rogue features.

***Honestly any rogue + war cleric 1-4 would work about the same. I just believe there is more obvious synergy with inquisitive rogue
    Last edited by RingoBongo; 2019-09-12 at 12:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268

A non-rogue thief

Sometimes the classes are simply too narrow. You can build a monk without levels in Monk, or a fighter without levels in Fighter. Here's my take on a thief.

Vesselyth, the Clockwork Bandit
    Race: Any, but I like Kobolds
    Class: Artificer
    Subclass: Alchemist or Archivist

Skills: Stealth, Acrobatics, Investigation, Sleight of Hand
    Background: Any (but if you're playing a class without Thieves' Tools, Urchin or Criminal might be best).

Vesselyth has several tricks up his sleeve.
    Magical Tinkering:
    Leave a note beside a body 'in blood' that gives fake clues.
    "Accidentally" leaving a clue (a smear that smells like the sewers).
    Distractions: A tapping sound, as though at a window.
    A light for maps or investigation when everything's dark

Alchemical Homunculous:
    A tiny mechanical flying scorpion that spits acid on things like locks, windows, alarm components, or the like. Inspiration for all your skill check needs. Buoyancy whenever you need to jump out a window or off a rooftop.

Tools of the Trade
    A potion for every need! Poisons, tanglefoot bags, potions of climbing, invisibility or flying! Half the cost and a quarter the time for you to make!

Artificial Mind (if, instead, you go archivist):
    More skills! Learn about the noble you're robbing or the history of these ruins. Manifest Mind to scout for you, watch your back, cast spells as if you were there (really handy for getting out of prison, for instance). It doesn't go through objects, but most rooms have keyholes, air ducts, or space under the door. Overload to stun a guard and knock him out easily, whether you need to get past him or if you accidentally were discovered.

Infoportation
    What's this? A free break-in ability? That's reuseable? Send your Artificial Mind into the vault, port in, rob everything, port out. Avoid sealed vaults; no entry, no exit (but there are so many other rooms)

Many-Handed Pouch
    Vesselyth loves this grift. He doesn't always pickpocket in the normal way. Instead, he picks some rich noble, or someone he wants info on, and switches out their belt pouch. Nobles don't count their coin; when he needs to pay for something, he need only pull out someone else's cash. He might occasionally find other valuables, like notes, jewellery, or other interesting things. For bonus points, if he's an Archivist he can communicate with the holder of the pouch. Or he can plant evidence through the pouch to draw the focus of an investigation or search elsewhere, like one of his tapping Magical Tinkering devices.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, Ludic, could you perhaps break down further your spell choices for the Iron Hobgoblin and Nuclear Wizard? Particularly the cantrips of the latter and what the former does for offense? I'm playing a nuclear wizard in a game now, but with 4 wizard cantrips and 2 warlock ones, I find that I can't get all the element shaping (Mold Earth, Shape Water, Control Flames), Create Bonfire, and get another attack cantrip without it being from warlock, and thus having a much worse save dc.

Also, my DM houseruled the bonus from hexblade's curse to only apply to the first magic missile bolt that hits a given foe, so that avenue of nuking has been drastically reduced. What approach should I take in its stead?

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    So, Ludic, could you perhaps break down further your spell choices for the Iron Hobgoblin and Nuclear Wizard? Particularly the cantrips of the latter and what the former does for offense? I'm playing a nuclear wizard in a game now, but with 4 wizard cantrips and 2 warlock ones, I find that I can't get all the element shaping (Mold Earth, Shape Water, Control Flames), Create Bonfire, and get another attack cantrip without it being from warlock, and thus having a much worse save dc.
    Re: The Nuclear Wizard cantrips question:

From the Warlock list, you can take any 2 of Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, or (if Orzhov) Guidance. All of these should be useful even when they're Cha-based.

From the Wizard list, you can pick up any of Create Bonfire, Shape Water, Control Flames, Mold Earth, Lightning Lure, Fire Bolt, Toll the Dead, Frostbite, or Thunderclap. I recommend having at least 2 offensive cantrips for the Nuclear Wizard. Other than that it'd depend on my concept and party.

I elaborate on why I like each of these cantrips for the build in the Nuclear Wizard post itself, in a spoiler block near the bottom.

Re: The Hobgoblin Abjurer Offense question:

Unlike the Nuclear Wizard the Hobgoblin Abjurer doesn't really fundamentally change which spells are best on offense, so it's pretty much all of the old Wizard standbys. Cast Sleet Storm to lock down a mob and pitch Fireballs into the chaos to wipe them all out. Buff your minion Fighter and watch their DPR skyrocket with the right buff (which buff you should pick depends on their build more than yours). Raise an army of the undead and give them bows. Or throw down a pile of daggers and animate them with Animate Objects. Have your familiar Help people, or cast Dragon Breath on it, or whatever. Or don't even worry about damage and just focus on using stuff like Hypnotic Pattern or Wall of Force. You know, Wizard stuff. All kinds of options.

That's all I have time for right now, hope that helps!
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2019-09-14 at 06:04 AM.