New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Castlevania dungeon crawl in 5th edition (mostly a campaign log)

There is some WOTC art available, but it's from some specific sourcebooks, like Races of Stone, Monster Manual IV, and some 4e books. I don't think there'll be too much that will be relevant.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't know if I have ever put that much effort into a single project in my entire life! That is awesome work, I really look forward to seeing it. Definitely be sure to keep people on the here informed of it, I'm sure there will be interest.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snownine View Post
    I don't know if I have ever put that much effort into a single project in my entire life! That is awesome work, I really look forward to seeing it. Definitely be sure to keep people on the here informed of it, I'm sure there will be interest.
    No time to start like the present. It's just like writing a paper for college or high school... get your rough outline, then fill in some details, then add more details, then keep adding layers of details, then fine tune it.

All I'm doing now is formatting things to match the MM format, and adding details that I as the DM didn't need. Like I'd have a construct with "Immunities: Construct, psychic, etc." instead of "Immunities: Blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned"

You eat an elephant one bite at a time.
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-07-02 at 09:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Here's my draft cover page. How does it look? What could be improved?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Can I get feedback on how this looks as a blurb for the for-sale product on DMG?

----

Dracula, the Lord of Shadow and Darkness, has covered the land in shadow and dispatched armies of monsters and undead from his magical castle. His armies threaten to overrun major cities and plunge the world into a literal Dark Age. The last of the vampire-hunting clan that traditionally opposed him has disappeared, and still the armies advance. He must be stopped. If that's not enough motivation, it is well-known that his castle is full of magical items and great riches... but also great danger.

If you've ever wanted D&D and Castlevania to meet, look no further. This adventure is exactly what you wanted. Every area of the castle poses different and unique challenges to keep the party engaged and on their toes.

Written for the DM as a ready-to-run adventure, it is designed for four to six characters. The adventure starts at level 3 at the outer defenses of the castle, and ends with the party advancing to level 13 after defeating Dracula in an epic battle.

The adventure includes documentation to help even a new DM succed, including suggestions for how to run each of the area "boss" monsters in combat. There are approximately 50 new enemies and over 3 dozen new magical items. It also comes with a list of suggested music for many areas of the castle, and a 25-page campaign log recounting an actual tabletop play-through of this adventure from the DM's perspective.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Here's my draft cover page. How does it look? What could be improved?

This are my recomendations.
    The description on your next post looks solid.
    Last edited by Rolero; 2020-08-10 at 04:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, that make sense.
    If I do that, any suggestions for how to cover the straight line where the Grim Reaper image sits on top of the castle image?
    I am working with public domain images only... these were the best I could find.

I have the DMG logo situated where it is to cover an inconvenient moon.

My image-fu is very weak.
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-08-10 at 05:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I have the DMG logo situated where it is to cover an inconvenient moon.
    Why? The moon is one of the most iconic elements of Castlevania.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Here it is with the text moved around. To my eye, the lighting of the top and bottom pictures clashes without something covering the transition. The blacks are different tones or shades.

Dracula's castle is doing the "Shadows of Mount Doom" thing, pumping out a stream of magical darkness from the clock tower (which the party can stop) to cover the land...so the sun and moon are both never visible to the party until near the end.

I like how you did the text better.

EDIT

What font did you use to do the "Castle Dracula"? It looks better than Old English Text MT. Nice popping with the outline.
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-08-10 at 09:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

The Font is Bradley Gratis

As you guessed, I outlined the title text to make it pop up. I suggest you do the same :)

Onto the cover art, I would look for alternatives. It is never a good idea to use 2 halfs of an image as cover, not without a good job in Photoshop merging them so the transition becomes seamless.

My take on the cover:

Last edited by Rolero; 2020-08-11 at 06:14 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

That's a really neat image. Unfortunately I am limited to "licensed for re-use" pictures (as determined by Google Image search)...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, my bad, totally forgot about that "little" detail ^^

Well, at least it can work as a template for what you want ;)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground