New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Catagories of challenges for PCs

I’m looking at game design for a fantasy game that would reward having and using a range of different ways to solve problems.

I’m thinking I’d like to see each of the following being about equally represented but I’m worried I’m missing “categories” of situations, problems or solutions that are likely to come up

Combat – Melee monsters in reasonably confined space
    Ranged monsters in reasonably open space
    Complex monsters – The Monsters have powers (being incorporeal, or swimming or invisible or having mind control powers that make them tricky to deal with
    Planned monsters – You know where you’re going to go and what you’re going to do when you get there, and you better bring you’re a game because you know what you’re getting in to

Scouting – Stealth and perception checks. Decisions about how close to get to see more without too much risk of getting caught

Mechanisms – locks, traps and other devices

Survival – Finding paths, food, shelter, knowing what sort of creature you’re looking at and how to avoid it trying to eat you

Lore – Research, knowledge checks, telling the players the story of the world. Also having contacts who can give information or introductions

I'm aware that my categories affect how the focus runs - the thinner I slice things the more of it you'll see. EG i could bundle combat into one and then my even split would see less combat.
    I'm not really looking for people's individual preferences for how much of any sort of encounter they want to see, and I know there's often more than one way to deal with an encounter. But also, there's often 1 obvious way to deal with a situation and others are obviously alternate solutions.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Catagories of challenges for PCs

The 5th edition of Legend of the Five Rings and the Modiphius 2D20 systems do something similar. They typically break it down into the following high-level types of encounters:

- Duels - 1 v 1 combat
    - Skirmish- Party vs party size battle
    - Mass Battles- units vs units where the party maybe a unit, or not
    - Intrigues - Social challenges
    - Investigative - Solving crimes and the like
    - Explorative - Finding stuff in the real world

There maybe a few more but those are the ones that have come off the top of my head.
    *This Space Available*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Catagories of challenges for PCs

Thanks. That's exactly the sort of ideas I'm looking for!
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!