New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: DnD Head Canons

1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DnD Head Canons

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    He also hates liches and other soul eating evils. Though this is out of a pragmatic concern, as a creature that promises its soul and then gets it devoured has in his eyes committed metaphysical credit fraud.
    Ooh, now i'm imagining an Archdevil working with some inevitables on that front, collecting on debts owed by those that steal, entrap and/or devour souls
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Everything Asmodeus does is ostensibly to a good end, but he has zero reservations about what it takes to get there. ---snip---
    He also hates liches and other soul eating evils. Though this is out of a pragmatic concern, as a creature that promises its soul and then gets it devoured has in his eyes committed metaphysical credit fraud.
    Now that's funny. Acererak's credit rating is in the tank.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #813
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's not too difficult for a mage to raise a few skeletons or zombies, powering and controlling them solely through their own energy. It's a useful trick, and there's nothing morally objectionable about it, besides being a bit icky.

But that takes energy and spell slots, and it's difficult to keep up for long. You can't really make armies of undead with that. But what you can do is force a soul back into their recently dead body and power it like that. That gives you undead minions that last until they're hacked into pieces, can be as intelligent as you want, and don't draw on your own energy at all. It also leaves the soul trapped and suffering until it's severed from the body with divine magic. That is why people don't like necromancers.

And the thing is, the souls aren't neccesarily freed when the undead are killed. Only divine magic or certain arcane spells can do that. Just hacking them apart leaves the soul still bound to it. That's why people really, really don't like necromancers.
    _____
    On an unrelated subject: once someone chipped a shard from the Spire at the heart of the Outlands, and made it into a sword. Unfortunately, it proved impossible to transport by any magical means. They say it's still stuck somewhere past the Gatetowns, surrounded by a field of anti-magic.

4. - Top - End - #814

BarbarianGuy

You know how elves don't sleep, they just meditate, well they don't strictly speaking have to meditate and they can sleep just like anyone else. However, Elves are wildly emotional if they don't meditate, feeling everything so much more intently than everyone else. Means they become total vengance at the drop of a hat, fall in love with a moment's glance, completely unmanageable.

Thing is, when elves sleep they dream, and those dreams can influence people outside their own minds. With one or two sleeping elves people just get a few vivid dreams, all good fun, sometimes laid on at the right sort of parties. Get a lot of sleeping elves together and you get something quite different.

Ever hear of the wild hunt? When enough elves dream their minds produce the hunt, terrible riders who will seek all about for something to kill and will turn on the elves if they can't find anything else.

So, that's why elves meditate, keeps them calm and stops the wild hunt.

Then there's the renegade sleepers, gangs of elves, several dozen strong who rove around doing whatever they please, their emotions running wild. Bandits, heroes, whatever mood strikes them at the time, mad bastard fighters too, nothung quite like an elf who really wants you dead!

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Now that's funny. Acererak's credit rating is in the tank.
    It is also a gross waste of ressources. The Book of Vile Darkness shows that you can have souls suffer eternally to power your evil plans like a perpetuum mobile of debasedness. Instead you just destroy them for instant power. That's the kind of horrific thing an engineer would see if you sold a solar panel's electronics to pay for your next bunch of coal to heat your home.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Firbolg in the Playground

The plane of Ravenloft is ruled over by the ancient baernaloth lords and is a sort of laboratory for studying applied evil
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #817
    Dwarf in the Playground

When a Dread Domain strays too far from the Dark Powers’ desires, too far for the subtle approach to get it back on track, they have one ace up their sleeves. Domain reset: roll back the domain to the day it first entered the Mist, usually with a few elements changed to fix the “bug” that necessitated the reset in the first place.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    When a Dread Domain strays too far from the Dark Powers’ desires, too far for the subtle approach to get it back on track, they have one ace up their sleeves. Domain reset: roll back the domain to the day it first entered the Mist, usually with a few elements changed to fix the “bug” that necessitated the reset in the first place.
    With that in place, one wonders how it relates to Sithicus and Soth.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

9. - Top - End - #819
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    With that in place, one wonders how it relates to Sithicus and Soth.
    That’s the guy who got kicked out because he stopped taking the bait right? He admittedly wasn’t on my mind when I came up with the idea, but I vaguely remember reading something that said that afterward he outright re-died a hero. So perhaps at some point he had a change of heart that couldn’t be “fixed”. I’m decently sure the Dark Powers avoid outright mind controlling Darklord candidates (because what would that prove?) so they had to leave him with that.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

10. - Top - End - #820

EvilClericGuy

That’s the guy who got kicked out because he stopped taking the bait right? He admittedly wasn’t on my mind when I came up with the idea, but I vaguely remember reading something that said that afterward he outright re-died a hero. So perhaps at some point he had a change of heart that couldn’t be “fixed”. I’m decently sure the Dark Powers avoid outright mind controlling Darklord candidates (because what would that prove?) so they had to leave him with that.
    Exactly; he got sent back because he was boring. Though now I'll need to look up what happened to him POST-sent back.

It leaves the possibility that a Darklord can reform. It's terribly difficult, but Redemption is possible...
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Opened a ticket where Strahd was not properly simping for a mortal girl's soul: fixed.

12. - Top - End - #822

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Exactly; he got sent back because he was boring. Though now I'll need to look up what happened to him POST-sent back.
    He refused to serve Takhisis so she "cured" him of his curse and allowed him to die.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

13. - Top - End - #823

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    He refused to serve Takhisis so she "cured" him of his curse and allowed him to die.
    Yeah, that's what I read. I suppose at that point, Takhisis is just one more Dark Power.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Opened a ticket where Strahd was not properly simping for a mortal girl's soul: fixed.
    They’re glad it happened once though, Strahd’s pipe organ cover of “Your Reality” went hard.
    -Waterdeep Merch.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

There is a supernatural force, perhaps a god, of locksmithing and trapping. This is why special training requiring an entire character level is sometimes required to open locks and disable traps without setting them off; this entity has inspired locksmiths and trap makers to the point they can produce works far beyond medieval/Renaissance and sometimes even modern levels of craftsmanship and security
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

16. - Top - End - #826

The spellplague didn't reconfigure the planes as such, Realmspace collapsed in on itself and took a bit of every plane it had a permanent portal to with it, which formed new planes in wherever it landed
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #827
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The spellplague didn't reconfigure the planes as such, Realmspace collapsed in on itself and took a bit of every plane it had a permanent portal to with it, which formed new planes in wherever it landed
    What spell plague?
    It didn't happened and we don't talk about it

18. - Top - End - #828

BlackDragon

Gemstone dragons are descendants of the first children of Io, before he was split and unmade.

19. - Top - End - #829

For whatever reason, every wizard's spellbook is full of these and that's why you can't just copy them normally

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #830

Something that just popped into my head while playing CK, that I'll be adapting going forward:

In an effort to combat their implied depressed birth rates, dwarves and elves practice either polyamory or concubinage.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #831
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdrop View Post
    Something that just popped into my head while playing CK, that I'll be adapting going forward:

In an effort to combat their implied depressed birth rates, dwarves and elves practice either polyamory or concubinage.
    Given that many times it's presented as being a dearth of female dwarves, you might see polyandrous relationships among dwarves; a single wife with several husbands, possibly brothers or cousins, so all the children are related more closely.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #832

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Given that many times it's presented as being a dearth of female dwarves, you might see polyandrous relationships among dwarves; a single wife with several husbands, possibly brothers or cousins, so all the children are related more closely.
    I'm not sure if I want to do it for dwarves, but making elven cultures in general polyandrous I think makes some interesting implications for the misandry present in the usual Drow depictions.
    Add me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #833

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    I'm not sure if I want to do it for dwarves, but making elven cultures in general polyandrous I think makes some interesting implications for the misandry present in the usual Drow depictions.
    While polyandry certainly makes sense for stereotypical dwarves, it doesn't do much, if anything, in terms of bolstering birth rates. It might help with keeping the genetic material comparatively diverse, on the other hand.

24. - Top - End - #834

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    While polyandry certainly makes sense for stereotypical dwarves, it doesn't do much, if anything, in terms of bolstering birth rates. It might help with keeping the genetic material comparatively diverse, on the other hand.
    That could even make for an interesting concept, that there isn't anything wrong with the biology of the dwarves, but their stunted birth rate is a cultural issue that they're too stubborn or hidebound to change.
    Add me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #835

That could even make for an interesting concept, that there isn't anything wrong with the biology of the dwarves, but their stunted birth rate is a cultural issue that they're too stubborn or hidebound to change.
    "No, you are sabotaging your population growth! By the Iron Beard of the Ancestors: you'll get the hell out of here, lest you want your liver removed!"

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

I concur. Realmspace was connected to the Great Wheel through the World Tree, of which the roots descended into the Inner Planes and the branches stretched to the Outer Planes. When the spellplague occurred, the World Tree withered, collapsed inward, and dislodged various locations from their planes, leaving them adrift in either the Elemental Chaos or the Astral Sea.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

The Rod of Seven parts can be assembled in different orders, and its powers change depending on the order of assembly.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

28. - Top - End - #838
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The Rod of Seven parts can be assembled in different orders, and its powers change depending on the order of assembly.
    Like at least one version of Voltron.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #839

I'm currently leaning towards the idea of the species languages - ie. dwarvish, elvish, etc. - consisting mostly of hardwired calls built into the species by their creators

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently leaning towards the idea of the species languages - ie. dwarvish, elvish, etc. - consisting mostly of hardwired calls built into the species by their creators
    Much more plausible to be "rooted" in them like how birdsong has a "base" instinctive pattern "fleshed out" by learning rather than directly using wholly instinctual calls, if one wishes to mix creationism with natural language development. Especially on the Chaotic side of things, where artistic expression tends to drive strongly toward stuff like the verbing of nouns, as seen with the massive escalation of such on the Internet.