New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: DnD Head Canons

1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: DnD Head Canons

That is kinda why the Nine Hells exist. By Tome Of Foes assessment. Devils can no longer add to the Nine Hells due to the Pact Primeval acting as a limit on how much they can exploit any given material world. And Asmoudeous uses the Blood War as a justification for his continued existence because of how much he devotes to containing the Abyss. Mordenkienen's take being that they are close enough in power that it is difficult for either to make permanent gains and will periodically aid one side or the other to maintain that out of fear that if either wins the entire multiverse will be put at risk.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    By Tome Of Foes assessment. Devils can no longer add to the Nine Hells due to the Pact Primeval acting as a limit on how much they can exploit any given material world. And Asmoudeous uses the Blood War as a justification for his continued existence because of how much he devotes to containing the Abyss.
    MToF describes how Asmodeus got Primus to acknowledge him as a force of law and a necessary evil. It also attributes to Primus the creation of the Ruby Rod as an artifact that "grants Asmodeus and his underlings the right to enter into contracts with mortals for their souls but unleashes an inescapable punishment upon any devil that breaches such a contract" (MToF p10).

I don't see anything about a limit on how much they can exploit any given material world. Also, the book soon after says that Stygia may once have been a world of the Material Plane, whose "inhabitants, facing annihilation, are said to have pledged their souls and their world to Asmodeus" (MToF p14). That would have been a good place to mention such a pact now being forbidden.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Firbolg in the Playground

The races that seem to be monocultures aren't. They just look that way from the outside
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Devils can contract mortals use make use of martial worlds via imperialism, but there isn't going to be a 10th Hell anytime soon. I would need to double check if that was in Tome of Foes, though.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Orc fashion is based around being such a gaudy Eyesore that no one can stand to look at you because it hurts too much.
    Imagine Chartreuse with the most brilliant orange dots and pink stripes.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

6. - Top - End - #696

MonkGuy

In my Forgotten Realms games, Drizzt, Elminster and all the other celebrities are long-dead heroes of legend. This way they can’t swoop in and save the day, and don’t need contrived reasons not to. I like the player characters to be unequivocally the most powerful people for thousands of miles around except for their enemies.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HidesHisEyes View Post
    In my Forgotten Realms games, Drizzt, Elminster and all the other celebrities are long-dead heroes of legend.
    You are my hero.
    This way they can’t swoop in and save the day, and don’t need contrived reasons not to. I like the player characters to be unequivocally the most powerful people for thousands of miles around except for their enemies.
    So do I.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #698

Quote Originally Posted by HidesHisEyes View Post
    In my Forgotten Realms games, Drizzt, Elminster and all the other celebrities are long-dead heroes of legend.
    I like this idea. Allows the stories to still be told but allows the new legends to grow and be built by the party. Nice.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

9. - Top - End - #699

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    You are my hero.
    So do I.
    Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    I like this idea. Allows the stories to still be told but allows the new legends to grow and be built by the party. Nice.
    Thanks! Yeah it works for me. And if you are playing with people who know and like those characters you can still put in little nods to them, like they could find one of Drizzt’s swords or something.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    Orc fashion is based around being such a gaudy Eyesore that no one can stand to look at you because it hurts too much.
    Imagine Chartreuse with the most brilliant orange dots and pink stripes.
    Funny thing, the 3.5 Monster Manual (and I assume the 3.0 as well) specifically mentions orcs dressing in horrendous colors, at least by human taste. This has just helped me form my own headcanon as to why they dress that way (in 3.5): Orcs actually have weak eyes for identifying color, probably linked to their light sensitivity. In order for an Orc to appear flashy and stand out, as they might want to do in battle to distinguish themselves, they have to wear vibrant colors that stick out from their surroundings so other orcs can appreciate the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Funny thing, the 3.5 Monster Manual (and I assume the 3.0 as well) specifically mentions orcs dressing in horrendous colors, at least by human taste. This has just helped me form my own headcanon as to why they dress that way (in 3.5): Orcs actually have weak eyes for identifying color, probably linked to their light sensitivity. In order for an Orc to appear flashy and stand out, as they might want to do in battle to distinguish themselves, they have to wear vibrant colors that stick out from their surroundings so other orcs can appreciate the difference.
    Hmm, so they dress like golfers in the 1960's and 1970's.
    (The outrageous colors golfers wore then was common currency for jokes and gags when I was growing up
    - I've noticed that only a few golfers now do that, but some still do).
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

12. - Top - End - #702

In fantasy in general I'm struck with the idea of most summoning diagrams actually being based on petrie polygons of regular polytopes, such as the 4-simplex and the octohedron

Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-10-20 at 09:55 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

I've actually used that exact flavor explanation before! The "Grand Unified Theory of Magic" I use in my games involves spells/powers/etc. being something along the lines of 27-dimensional geometric constructs, and the prevalence of written magic and glyphs and such in the rules is thus due to the ease of projecting portions of such constructs onto 2D and 3D surfaces.

To assign specific shapes to different kinds of magic circles (because in one game I needed an in-game reason to use summoning circles with a bunch of different kinds of polygrams), I ruled that the summoning diagrams for LG, CG, LE, and CE outsiders incorporated pentagrams, nonagrams, triangles, and heptagrams, respectively. Pentagrams for LG because Celestia is opposed by the Abyss and pentagrams are the classical demon thing, nonagrams for CG because Arborea is opposed by the Nine Hells, triangles for LE because Arborea has three layers, and heptagrams for CE because of the Seven Heavens.

TN outsiders got octagrams, for the eight alignments surrounding the "center" of the Outlands; natives of the Transitive Planes got hexagrams, for the two sets of three known Transitive Planes (Astral/Ethereal/Ordial and Dream/Shadow/Mirror); elementals got diamonds, for the four Elemental Planes; energons got circles with lines down the center, for the two Energy Planes; and plain ol' magic circles covered everything else that didn't fit into those categories, so that covered all the numbers from 1 through 9 and made for a nice logical-seeming progression.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

14. - Top - End - #704
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Fiends will seek out sorcerers who haven't tapped into their magic yet and make deals for their souls in exchange for magic as a scam.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    Because of Strahd being called the first vampire, I think that the world Barovia came from is older than most other prime material worlds, perhaps one of the first inhabited (by humans at least).
    With Fizbang’s Treasury of Dragons, I’m going to update this to say that Barovia was part of the First World.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    With Fizbang’s Treasury of Dragons, I’m going to update this to say that Barovia was part of the First World.
    Oh, that's a clever one. It would be a nice, deep bit of lore.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

17. - Top - End - #707
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Oh, that's a clever one. It would be a nice, deep bit of lore.
    Thank you kindly!

I have some other thoughts on it:
    1) The Sunless Spire is listed as a place with echoes across the worlds, and where Gulthias, who from what I understand was also an early vampire, got staked and unleashed the plague of Gultheas Trees and their blight offspring. Possible evidence for my theory?

2) A possible snag is that the Ulmest Inquisitors entry in VRGtR states that their current home base is in a city north of where Barovia once was. I could say that’s it’s on a world echo that contained the site of Barovia, but it still feels like papering it over.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Hmm, so they dress like golfers in the 1960's and 1970's.
    (The outrageous colors golfers wore then was common currency for jokes and gags when I was growing up
    - I've noticed that only a few golfers now do that, but some still do).
    My orcs do it because each clan has there own unique and terrible colour scheme that they proudly wear to stand out when battling one another.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

19. - Top - End - #709

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    My orcs do it because each clan has there own unique and terrible colour scheme that they proudly wear to stand out when battling one another.
    The mental image of a bunch of orcs battling while dressed like golfers from the 70's is just too good to pass up. I would love to see that as an illustration myself.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    The mental image of a bunch of orcs battling while dressed like golfers from the 70's is just too good to pass up. I would love to see that as an illustration myself.
    The more hybrid celtic and golfer but correct
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    Imagine their battles being ABOUT the color scheme.

"Rose be superior color. Death to Mauve clan!!

"Waaaaaaagh!"

And they would behead a fellow orc for calling turquoise blue.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post

"Waaaaaaagh!"

Yes, a thousand times yes! Kind of like football fans …

23. - Top - End - #713
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

"Waaaaaaagh!"

Consider: If orcs have a different color range (perhaps they see into the infrared, but lose blues and purples.

And so you have orcs who are partially dressed in outlandish colors because they just kinda look greyish.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    And so you have orcs who are partially dressed in outlandish colors because they just kinda look greyish.
    Elf Eye for the Fashionable Orc might become a huge hit as a traveling show ...
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-12-03 at 02:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #715

animate dead isn't [Evil] for any particular philosophical or consequentialist reason but simply because of a mechanistic quirk of karmic dynamics

Omegaupdate Forum

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    animate dead isn't [Evil] for any particular philosophical or consequentialist reason but simply because of a mechanistic quirk of karmic dynamics
    Evil and Good being cosmic forces based on objective criteria (belonging or opposing the Upper Planes) is long in my serious D&D head canon.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KoDT69 View Post
    The timeline as I see it:
    OD&D - Early Dark Ages
    AD&D 1E - Transition of Dark Ages to Early Renaissance
    AD&D 2E - Early Renaissance
    D&D 3.0-3.5 - Mid Renaissance
    D&D 4E - NEVER HAPPENED - or possibly a past timeline off of the d20 Modern setting
    D&D 5E - After Renaissance, maybe just before what would have been our Industrial Revolution
    *Eberron in play is like adding the Industrial Revolution to the edition's timeline
    I'd suggest OD&D is Late Dark Ages (Clovis-Charlemagne) to early Medieval, given that it has Turcopoles showing up for a cleric when they build a stronghold.
    But I love your timeline, would use!

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'd also like to imagine a kind of continuity between the editions. Old recurring characters were present for the changes of edition, remember the way things were, and maybe had a hand in the change. I remember reading something about Die, Vecna, Die! being the 'end of 2E' and I love to take that literally. Vecna ascending to godhood brought forth the d20 system. His evil plan to destroy d10 initiative and percentile skills won.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #719

Each layer of Mount Celestia is onfinitely tall. That's why normal mountaineering is insufficient to ascend it

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Evil and Good being cosmic forces based on objective criteria (belonging or opposing the Upper Planes) is long in my serious D&D head canon.
    Pretty sure that's actually canon...
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.