New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: DnD Head Canons

1. - Top - End - #841
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: DnD Head Canons

Yeah, different groups would probably have different words for things that were outside of the base vocabulary

Speaking of words, a second headcanon is I think "plane" could be short for "3-hyperplane"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #842
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Much more plausible to be "rooted" in them like how birdsong has a "base" instinctive pattern "fleshed out" by learning rather than directly using wholly instinctual calls, if one wishes to mix creationism with natural language development. Especially on the Chaotic side of things, where artistic expression tends to drive strongly toward stuff like the verbing of nouns, as seen with the massive escalation of such on the Internet.
    I lean towards "These are the languages their gods speak to them in"; not everyone hears it, but enough do that it creates a fairly regular language, plus additions to local vocabulary.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Troll in the Playground

I think we're under the time limit. If not someone should start a new thread. Anyway: combining Gnomes and Trolls (somehow, probably via magic) still results in Gnolls like it did back in early D&D, but inexplicably it always results in the Hyena-headed, quasi-demonic kind of gnoll
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

4. - Top - End - #844

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I think we're under the time limit.
    We are.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

combining Gnomes and Trolls (somehow, probably via magic) still results in Gnolls like it did back in early D&D
    Wait, is this part actually true? Is that where gnolls come from???
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #846

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Wait, is this part actually true? Is that where gnolls come from???
    Per the Rules Cyclopedia: "Gnolls are rumored to be the result of a magical combination of a gnome and a troll by an evil magic-user."

No idea, man. There's also the Thoul, who looks like a hobgoblin, paralyzes like a ghoul, and regenerates like a troll.
    The Cranky Gamer

7. - Top - End - #847
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Per the Rules Cyclopedia: "Gnolls are rumored to be the result of a magical combination of a gnome and a troll by an evil magic-user."

No idea, man. There's also the Thoul, who looks like a hobgoblin, paralyzes like a ghoul, and regenerates like a troll.
    I think the Thoul was supposed to be a trap monster though:
    "you see what appears to be four hobgoblins"

"There's seven of us plus our men-at-arms. Lets charge them!"

*Three rounds later*

"You're a ****, Gary"

Whereas I think Gnolls were a joke:

"What is it it?"

*Wide smile* "Its a gnoll"

"Is... is a gnoll what I think it is?"
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

8. - Top - End - #848
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thouls were a typo in the fifth printing of OD&D. TSR sure picked it up and ran with it pretty quick, though. Always liked that critter.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Why were there so many more "two creatures combined into one" back in the olden editions? I wish they'd kept doing that!

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

Why were there so many more "two creatures combined into one" back in the olden editions? I wish they'd kept doing that!
    My head canon is that combining different creatures used to be a very common kink uhm, hobby among wizards.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    My head canon is that combining different creatures used to be a very common kink uhm, hobby among wizards.
    Flavor text on Vizzerdrix:

"A bored wizard once created a vizzerdrix out of a bunny and a piranha. He never made that mistake again.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

My favourite is the sea lion
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    My favourite is the sea lion
    Mine is the duckbunny.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Mine is the duckbunny.
    Owlbear seems to be where it started ...
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #855

Orcs sound kind of British and Yugoloths sound kind of Bostonian due to a tendency of the orcs to use the word "smashing" to mean "wonderful" and a tendency of the yugoloths to use the word "wicked" to mean "awesome" and as an intensifier. And these are the most literal translations of the corresponding words in their respective languages.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-05-07 at 01:13 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

The difference between fey magic and divine magic is that divine magic is fey magic that took the time to grow up. If a fey being can abandon its petulance, it becomes divine. This is why unicorns are celestial instead of fey. Of course, this is as rare as humans superseding their desires and achieving enlightenment.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I'm currently leaning towards the idea of the species languages - ie. dwarvish, elvish, etc. - consisting mostly of hardwired calls built into the species by their creators
    In D&D 4e (and maybe in other editions), species languages come from how the species understood the universal language of the gods when they first spoke to them.
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2023-05-07 at 11:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858

I am somewhat partial to the idea of Sigil being a flat/clifford torus

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #859
    Orc in the Playground

Druids can use steel armor and weapons if they personally forge them out of bog or Telluric iron.
    (Meta-headcanon: the origin of the ban on metal armor was due in part to the fact that as residents of the industrial Upper Midwest, Gygax et al had seen firsthand the environmental devastation caused by iron mining and steel mills.)

Werewolves aren't actually evil, they are just victims of a propaganda campaign by Big Livestock.

Zombies groan and limp because they are cramping up from dehydration.
    Last edited by oudeis; 2023-07-01 at 01:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #860

Quote Originally Posted by oudeis View Post
    Zombies groan and limp because they are cramping up from dehydration.
    Zombism as rabies?
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

I am somewhat partial to the idea of Sigil being a flat/clifford torus
    Screw two or even threedimensional shapes. Maybe Sigil is a four dimensional shape? A klein bottle?

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a new headcanon that epic level wizards tend to go a little loopy from ultimate magical power, which is why they think owlbears and whatnot are a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of the stipulations of the Pact Primeval is that Baator can’t send Hellfire Engines to the material plane to bulldozer a few towns and lemure-ize their inhabitants souls regardless of those people’s alignment or lack of pacts. Now, if a mortal army decides invading Baator is a good idea on the other hand….

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Opened a ticket where Strahd was not properly simping for a mortal girl's soul: fixed.
    I’ve actually been thinking of this for a while and I have one for the vampire himself. Underneath the matter of Tatyana, even underneath Sergei retaining his youth and innocence Strahd lost in the war, Strahd’s hatred of Sergei stems from one main source.

Strahd blames Sergei for their mother’s death. And with that in view, anyone coupling with Sergei would provoke an “absolutely not!” response in Strahd.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    One of the stipulations of the Pact Primeval is that Baator can’t send Hellfire Engines to the material plane to bulldozer a few towns and lemure-ize their inhabitants souls regardless of those people’s alignment or lack of pacts. Now, if a mortal army decides invading Baator is a good idea on the other hand….
    Given the Pact Primeval is the "constitution" establishing Heaven/Hell relations and the Good/Evil divide, I imagine it's a more general forbiddance of such "conscription" as a whole, with the Pacts being the chief work-around. The mirror for Celestials beholden to it would be not being allowed to deploy the likes of Redeemeries. I would not be surprised in the slightest if there exists a strain of Formian or Beastlands resident quietly getting up to such shenanigans, if in a less painful way due to not being obligatorily sadistic.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    One of the stipulations of the Pact Primeval is that Baator can’t send Hellfire Engines to the material plane to bulldozer a few towns and lemure-ize their inhabitants souls regardless of those people’s alignment or lack of pacts.

Interestingly enough, this is pretty much canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendish Codex II
    Some were captured on raiding parties to other planes; others are the souls of mortals slain in Baator and somehow trapped there. Because they do not rightfully belong to him, Dispater can’t turn them into lemures or wring divine energy from them, but he can and does hold them for ransom or exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

26. - Top - End - #866

The solar deities work in a way that is, in a way whose details I cannot pin down exactly because I don't know enough about business, analogous to the business models of the phone company, the electric company, and the internet service providers and so forth. I feel that if I had a better handle on how all these competing companies connect you to the same power grid, the same phone network, the same internet, etc I might be able to explain how there are multiple unaffiliated but equally valid gods of the same sun.

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

The solar deities work in a way that is, in a way whose details I cannot pin down exactly because I don't know enough about business, analogous to the business models of the phone company, the electric company, and the internet service providers and so forth. I feel that if I had a better handle on how all these competing companies connect you to the same power grid, the same phone network, the same internet, etc I might be able to explain how there are multiple unaffiliated but equally valid gods of the same sun.
    There's at least 3 gods of "magic" or "nature" or "deceit" in every setting, I don't see what's so special about the sun, it's not even a vague concept

Honestly, I rarely think of D&D sun gods as being in direct control of the actual sun (even though that's how it works in a lot of myths about sun gods), so I don't think it even occurred to me to question the number of them that exist
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

28. - Top - End - #868

There's at least 3 gods of "magic" or "nature" or "deceit" in every setting, I don't see what's so special about the sun, it's not even a vague concept
    Well there's different forests and different lies but only one sun. Well, except in that one crystal sphere where there's a sun for every alignment.

Omegaupdate Forum

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I rarely think of D&D sun gods as being in direct control of the actual sun (even though that's how it works in a lot of myths about sun gods), so I don't think it even occurred to me to question the number of them that exist
    Ever since I read the creation myth of Realmspace, I have been imagining Amaunator as actually being its sun.

Indeed, the myth goes:
    1. Selûne and Shar are all the light and darkness in Realmspace.
    2. They create Toril and other worlds, which together are Chauntea.
    3. Chauntea demands warmth to nurture life. Selûne says yes, Shar no.
    4. Selûne reaches to the Plane of Fire and gives Realmspace a sun.
    5. Further battle between Selûne and Shar results in the Weave/Mystril.

In step 4, Amaunator could be a massive fire elemental that was summoned to warm Realmspace.

As such, he wouldn't need followers to be, pun intended, powerful beyond belief. However, all he could do with his non-divine abilities is:
    • Expand and burn the whole neighborhood.
    • Return home and leave the worlds to freeze.
    • Stay where he is and watch the merry-go-round.

So he would generally prefer being able to influence mortals through his clerics.

The rest of Toril's sun gods wouldn't be as literal. Lathander, for example, would only bring the dawn in a metaphorical sense, by encouraging people to follow ideals of renewal and seizing the day.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Thinking about it, it just dawned on me that Chauntea plays a big role in Faerun, but it should be by far bigger. Her role should be at least as big as Freya from norse mythology. This leads to the following canon for me, since a god's power directly results from the number of followers.

The rarity of earth and nature gods being popular in cities and settlements with larger administrative bodies is not due to a lack of faith in the deity in a feudalistic setting. It is to limit the power of said deities' clerics and druids, so the ruling class has the upper hand. Faith in gods of order and law, of good and sun is encouraged, faith in earth and bounty gods and goddesses is not banned, but laughed about for being savage, gaunt or simplistic. If it were any other way, druids of more radical sects of environmentalists would crush cities with huge rituals and reestablish nature in their place.

In a fair system the gods of sun, nature, sea and probably conflict or war would reign supreme. A god that encompasses altruism and loving thy neighbor with a close second (because evil people in Faerun still want to be loved and love themselves, of course some writing is just moustached BBEGs which is fine but not believable.)