New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 217181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: DnD Head Canons

1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: DnD Head Canons

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I think the main issue with figuring out the long term effects of magic, at least in settings like the Forgotten Realms, is that every couple hundred years (or less) the whole setting gets turned upside down and a new deity is put in charge of how magic works and all the rules change.
    One more reason not to use those settings. Number 1366347637864357 if my count isn't off #notblueiftrue
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Satinavian View Post
    If that really is a thing, it soon will be a known thing and explored and used and people (especcially rulers) becoming more concerned with manipulating those large scale long lasting effects than with normal magic. And then you get stupid stuff like law forcing spellcasters to cast "protection from evil" and "protection from chaos" every day to make a nice, law abiding society etc.
    Sounds like preservation and defilement in Dark Sun.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

The lore is left vague and unsatisfying to deliberately draw the fire of prospective DM head canons.

Where is Gith?
    Was Kurtulmak or the gnome gods the aggressor?
    Just what is up with that Raven Queen?

Why don't you tell me?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it's vaguely implied that Gith is Vlaakith
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #785
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think it's vaguely implied that Gith is Vlaakith
    Gith is just a title. The real Gith is... Nameless.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Look, don't be limited to just Reno. I've killed men just to watch them die lots of places.
    OK, we'll broaden our horizons ... wait, isn't that how we get traveling murder hoboes?
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Head Canon--

All spells and active magical effects (including magic item use) has ecological and metaphysical consequences beyond what's explicitly printed. -snip- Arcane magic is the most prone to this effect, since direct hacking bypasses all the normal safeguards. -snip- Druidic magic is the least prone to this, but even large-scale spells like plant growth (used in its fertility aspect) have effects--plant growth pulls fertility forward (effectively depleting the normal nutrients, etc). Sure, you double your crop this year. But the next 5 will have below-normal crops to compensate.
    Yes, magic is both powerful and dangerous, in that it has side effects.
    --snip the rest of supporting points, and agree --And all sorts of fun things will leak through.
    Yes. That was something I used in my brother's campaign, and in my Salt Marsh campaign. Stuff kept leaking through, and the party had to to into The Void to seal the leaks. A murder hobo version of the boy with his finger in the dike.
    The point being--D&D magic seems nice and controllable. Even mechanistic. Do thing, get result. Done. But that's just Wizardly delusion--everything has consequences. Not always bad consequences, but certainly consequences.
    Side effects, like acid rain...
    and express the mystery and wonder and unpredictability of meddling in cosmic forces.
    What, it's a non linear effect? Arrrrrrrgghh! (reminds me of the very old joke about the monkey trying to put the plug back into the pig)
    Magic is a squirrely thing--studying it means it studies you. And has a wicked sense of humor.
    That's very old school. +1
    I think the main issue with figuring out the long term effects of magic, at least in settings like the Forgotten Realms, is that every couple hundred years (or less) the whole setting gets turned upside down and a new deity is put in charge of how magic works and all the rules change.
    Side effects with non linear magnitudes. (Or just achieving the threshold energy for the nuclear explosion analogy that is the various "magic changed" cataclysm as editions change)
    Just what is up with that Raven Queen?
    She's emo, so she's never up, she's always down
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-09-20 at 03:07 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #787

Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments are made at least partially out of coyote parts
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Every kobold ever featured in one of my games (NPC, monster, or PC) knows or was somebody from Tucker’s. Though it doesn’t often come up.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Because elves are big into agroforestry and sustainable stuff, they really REALLY don't like cattle, given the environmental destruction caused by both cattle and the humans who ranch them.

The most common herd animals found in elven settlements as a result are goats.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2022-10-09 at 05:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Because elves are big into agroforestry and sustainable stuff, they really REALLY don't like cattle, given the environmental destruction caused by both cattle and the humans who ranch them.

What?
    Did you never see a goat?
    Goat are the destroyers of trees, ravagers of wild-lands.
    They will make tons of efforts to seek each tree and try to eat them to death or destroy all their bark and reachable leaves resulting in them dying later.
    I participated in making barriers around trees to protect them from goats and despite barriers, many of them still died to goats because they did everything to circumvent the barriers or push them in order to get close enough to the tree to eat its bark or its leaves.
    They are a bad pick if you like trees.
    Last edited by noob; 2022-10-10 at 09:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    What?
    Goat are the destroyers of tree, ravagers of wild-lands.
    They will make tons of efforts to seek each tree and try to eat them to death or destroy all their bark and reachable leaves resulting in them dying later.
    I participated in making barriers around trees to protect them from goats and despite barriers, many of them still died to goats because they did everything to circumvent the barriers or push them in order to get close enough to the tree to eat its bark or its leaves.
    They are the bad pick if you like trees.
    Which is why I enjoy Elder Scrolls' Wood Elves. They just went: "screw it, we love trees and nature so we are EXCLUSIVELY eating meat to reduce those pesky leaf eating things." which is weird, twisted and illogical, but if we live in a world where a 3rd level cleric could theoretically feed dozens (or worse, the Tippyverse where Create Food "Traps" are a thing), I don't see carnivorous elves as the pinnacle of breaking immersion.

In connection to elves, I feel it is implied orcs in almost any setting are just a horrible accident or curse brought upon some noble and arrogant elves. While Faerun Orcs seem to be space invaders, there must be a reason for Gruumsh's hatred for Corellon's fluidity of form. I say they are elves who wanted to reenact Corellon's perfection, but failed. Either through a terrible curse, a backfiring infernal contract or simply hubris. The most ugly one became their god instead.

12. - Top - End - #792

What?
    Goat are the destroyers of tree, ravagers of wild-lands.
    Yup. Those ugly bastards are basically the herbivorous equivalents of feral/free-reanging cats: quadrupedal ecologic disasters that climb better than they have any right to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Which is why I enjoy Elder Scrolls' Wood Elves. They just went: "screw it, we love trees and nature so we are EXCLUSIVELY eating meat to reduce those pesky leaf eating things." which is weird, twisted and illogical, but if we live in a world where a 3rd level cleric could theoretically feed dozens (or worse, the Tippyverse where Create Food "Traps" are a thing), I don't see carnivorous elves as the pinnacle of breaking immersion.
    Oh yes! Bosmer are the bossmer! And what they do is entirely sustainable; they eat people too!

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

What?
    Goat are the destroyers of trees, ravagers of wild-lands.
    They are a bad pick if you like trees.
    The studies I looked at implied they were more environmentally friendly because they browse instead of graze the way cows do, meaning they don't tear out the roots of plants which contributes to stuff like soil erosion and nutrient depletion.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

The studies I looked at implied they were more environmentally friendly because they browse instead of graze the way cows do, meaning they don't tear out the roots of plants which contributes to stuff like soil erosion and nutrient depletion.
    Any monocultural overpopulation is environmentally hazardous, especially when out of touch with the animals' original ecological niche. Most domesticated goats come from mountainous areas, so there's a whole bunch about low-lying forest flora they'll strip bare. Cattle ranching, meanwhile, has seen its largest scale implementations as just substituting a native large ruminate for oxen (because clearing a non-grassland to make pasture is time consuming), resulting in rather little ecological damage because everything the cattle are doing was already being done. Indeed, there's some details in the Great Plains where things got worse from the decline of ranching, because the cattle were the only thing filling the bison's former role, and the bison were not in any position to bounce back to resume it.

Ecological damage from livestock tends to be a matter of either shoving too many in too small an area, or deciding to clear forests for them. It is very difficult to clear D&D forests, and the dominant actual use demanding the felling of trees pre-industrially was basically just house frames and ships. While I cannot for the life of me recall the term, the largest supply of wood tended to be cultivated trees who's low-lying branches would be split and made to regrow repeatedly, giving a renewable supply for wicker-work that made up the far larger share. And since the demand for felling trees is stuff that is measured in decades, it's very easy for the elves to just sell their sustainably-grown trees as lumber, even before offering preservative measures to stretch the weathering losses out to centuries.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2022-10-10 at 11:39 AM.

15. - Top - End - #795

Part of their appeal is that they are stupidly hardy and largely indiscriminate in their choices of food. They can reach pretty much anything they want (they can climb trees, fences, vertical rock faces – you name it) and go for the young shoots if available. They might leave the grass alone as long as they can locate some of their preferred prey, but they'll strip the shrubs and younger/smaller trees clean, leaves, buds and younger, softer branches included. They are pests.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-10-10 at 12:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

every couple hundred years (or less) the whole setting gets turned upside down and a new deity is put in charge of how magic works and all the rules change.
    I suspect that would largely be because there is no handover documentation.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #797
    Dwarf in the Playground

The fact that the Lower Planes are producing such an output that the Blood War is necessary to keep them under control is the result of the Nameless One’s first sin. That’s why he has to fight in the Blood War, the only way he can fix what he did is by going down and wrecking so much fiendish *** that the scales eventually balance again.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Any monocultural overpopulation is environmentally hazardous, especially when out of touch with the animals' original ecological niche. Most domesticated goats come from mountainous areas, so there's a whole bunch about low-lying forest flora they'll strip bare. Cattle ranching, meanwhile, has seen its largest scale implementations as just substituting a native large ruminate for oxen (because clearing a non-grassland to make pasture is time consuming), resulting in rather little ecological damage because everything the cattle are doing was already being done. Indeed, there's some details in the Great Plains where things got worse from the decline of ranching, because the cattle were the only thing filling the bison's former role, and the bison were not in any position to bounce back to resume it.

Ecological damage from livestock tends to be a matter of either shoving too many in too small an area, or deciding to clear forests for them. It is very difficult to clear D&D forests, and the dominant actual use demanding the felling of trees pre-industrially was basically just house frames and ships. While I cannot for the life of me recall the term, the largest supply of wood tended to be cultivated trees who's low-lying branches would be split and made to regrow repeatedly, giving a renewable supply for wicker-work that made up the far larger share. And since the demand for felling trees is stuff that is measured in decades, it's very easy for the elves to just sell their sustainably-grown trees as lumber, even before offering preservative measures to stretch the weathering losses out to centuries.
    Coppicing is the word I believe
    Non est salvatori salvator,
    neque defensori dominus,
    nec pater nec mater,
    nihil supernum.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

In my games all demiplanes of dread are connected and divided by the deadly mists of Ravenloft. Only the Vistani can pass them, but not because they are in league with the Dark Lords, but because they are their jailors. Torturing the Darklords instead of releasing them to their just afterlives is just preventing evil powers from gaining powerful souls. Things the Dark Powers want to for themselves.

In that vein there are several (neutral to evil) gods in other settings that directly benefit from that power and can grant their followers spells despite their worship being too little for true godhood.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

One microfortnight (1e-6 of 14 days) is exactly 1.2096 seconds. Which means that really, the base "round length" for 3e+ D&D isn't 6 seconds, it's 5 microfortnights. 5 is better than 6, so I claim[1] that really the real unit system of D&D is the FFF unit system.

[1] without any real evidence, just whimsy.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2022-11-13 at 12:16 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

One microfortnight (1e-6 of 14 days) is exactly 1.2096 seconds. Which means that really, the base "round length" for 3e+ D&D isn't 6 seconds, it's 5 microfortnights. 5 is better than 6, so I claim[1] that really the real unit system of D&D is the FFF unit system.

[1] without any real evidence, just whimsy.
    Why, because we have five digits on our hands? Why not use base 8, which is the same as base 10 if you are missing two fingers.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

22. - Top - End - #802

All the different published versions of Castle Greyhawk/Castle Zagyg exist in the same place at the same time. Possibly through something to do with the plane of shadows; one of the versions had a very powerful illusionist* living in the lowest sub-basement.

*(like, more powerful a mage overall than Mordenkainen if I'm understanding 1e multiclassing correctly; he was a (generalist) magic user 23/Illusionist 27, whereas Mordenkainen was Magic User 29 )

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Why, because we have five digits on our hands? Why not use base 8, which is the same as base 10 if you are missing two fingers.
    I mean, if we're going by hands we should be doing base 6. 1-2-3-4-5 and then the next hand is the sixes column

EDIT: I'd say base two, but some patterns of fingers up versus fingers down are very awkward to do. Also, some numbers (such as 4, 128, and 132) would involve having just the middle finger up on at least one hand

EDIT:
    Though I do imagine learning to do wizard spells with somatic components involves learning to quickly do all 1024 patterns of fingers up versus fingers down
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-11-14 at 10:54 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, if we're going by hands
    I was referencing a joke from Tom Lehrer's song "New Math" - it is on Youtube somewhere .
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-11-15 at 04:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Most Dwarves are teetotalers; they don't touch a drop of alcohol. The ones that do drink, the ones that are responsible for the widely-spread belief that all Dwarves are heavy drinkers, are the ones who venture above ground. Alcohol is their "medicine", the thing that they need to get around the horrifying fact that there is nothing above their heads but empty air, and there's a ball of fire in the sky way high up that just... hangs there, and burns you if you look at it. Non-Dwarves who visit Dwarven cities don't actually get into the cities themselves; they spend their time in the recovery/preparation wards for those who go Too Far Up... and therefore bring back even more stories about how all Dwarves are obsessed with alcohol and drink heavily at all hours of the day.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    Most Dwarves are teetotalers; they don't touch a drop of alcohol. The ones that do drink, the ones that are responsible for the widely-spread belief that all Dwarves are heavy drinkers, are the ones who venture above ground. Alcohol is their "medicine", the thing that they need to get around the horrifying fact that there is nothing above their heads but empty air, and there's a ball of fire in the sky way high up that just... hangs there, and burns you if you look at it. Non-Dwarves who visit Dwarven cities don't actually get into the cities themselves; they spend their time in the recovery/preparation wards for those who go Too Far Up... and therefore bring back even more stories about how all Dwarves are obsessed with alcohol and drink heavily at all hours of the day.
    The phobia of empty air would make sense in dnd: there is too many flying creatures that can kill you from a distance.
    I could see it evolved as an adaptation to a dangerous world.
    Just like how humans have some degree of snake phobia by default due to snakes having been around for long.
    Last edited by noob; 2022-11-17 at 05:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

An idea that got stuck into my head by a nice lady at work:
    Mummies are zombies from a different, more affluent, socio-economic origin.
    And I can't help seeing in my mind's eye a little alligator embroidered onto the wrappings over the left side of a standard mummy's chest ... arrrrgggg!

27. - Top - End - #807
    Dwarf in the Playground

The stuff that ghosts, spirits, outsiders and souls are made of and the stuff flesh and bone is made of aren’t that different. I could point to how ghostly creatures tend to just have resistance to physical attacks, but an even better example comes from the rutterkin and sibriex. They can turn a person into a manes, just like a chaotic evil soul becomes a manes when they go to the Abyss, but in their case everything suggest that this is a bodily transformation for their victim rather than a spiritual one in the later case. And yet the result is completely the same.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Asmodeus got into his position by representing the worst kind of evil: the necessary evil.

Everything Asmodeus does is ostensibly to a good end, but he has zero reservations about what it takes to get there. This is evidenced by hell often opposing evil either directly or by proxy, such through the Blood War, imprisoning Tiamat, or hurting mind flayers through empowering Githyanki and Duergar. By perpetuating the idea of evil as a means and not an end, he's able to expand the influence of evil through the repercussions of those means that mortals might not fully comprehend.

He also hates liches and other soul eating evils. Though this is out of a pragmatic concern, as a creature that promises its soul and then gets it devoured has in his eyes committed metaphysical credit fraud.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #809

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    The stuff that ghosts, spirits, outsiders and souls are made of and the stuff flesh and bone is made of aren’t that different. I could point to how ghostly creatures tend to just have resistance to physical attacks, but an even better example comes from the rutterkin and sibriex. They can turn a person into a manes, just like a chaotic evil soul becomes a manes when they go to the Abyss\
    Rutterkin? Are you sure you're not thinking of the nalfeshnees or molydeus?

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #810
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rutterkin? Are you sure you're not thinking of the nalfeshnees or molydeus?
    I know rutterkin have an ability to turn people into manes, I’ll have to check the others.
    -Waterdeep Merch.