New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: DnD Head Canons

1. - Top - End - #271
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: DnD Head Canons

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    Ah, but this is kinda backwards.

All rodents are avatars and aspects of the Lady of Pain.
    ... she's also unbeatable.

I just figured out the Lady of Pain.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

The lady of pain is obviously a mass delusion. Everyone is actually seeing Mr. Scruffles, a perfectly normal cat that the zeitgeist of the city is going to incredible lengths to protect.

As for the disappearances and mazes and anti-god stuff, the city just kinda does that.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

The Lady of Pain is a contrivance that allows the Planescape setting to exist. I mean, that's what she is in world. Somebody brought up that it would be cool if Planescape existed and all of the gods kind of murmured in lukewarm agreement and are all insisting that there is totally a Lady of Pain who can stop gods. All this so they could hear Homer Simpson voice a modron.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

The Crimson Sphere (the crystal sphere containing Athas and the Dark Sun Campaign) is located in a space where all phlogiston rivers flow away from it. You can exit the sphere, but you can't come back (except through a portal at the center of a flame ring in Krynnspace that dumps your now-ruined ship in the upper atmosphere of Athas).
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    The Crimson Sphere (the crystal sphere containing Athas and the Dark Sun Campaign) is located in a space where all phlogiston rivers flow away from it. You can exit the sphere, but you can't come back (except through a portal at the center of a flame ring in Krynnspace that dumps your now-ruined ship in the upper atmosphere of Athas).
    To be fair, I think most people in the setting would be happy with a one-way ticket out. I hear the other spheres have water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    To be fair, I think most people in the setting would be happy with a one-way ticket out. I hear the other spheres have water.
    Therefore it's actually the other way around.

You can get trapped on Athas very easily. Escaping? Not so much.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Given the German / Russian influences on Karrnath, I now imagine this being their national anthem.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Azuresun View Post
    Given the German / Russian influences on Karrnath, I now imagine this being their national anthem.
    But with Zombies doing the dance?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    In hextor's land, to make the people work more, they increased the lenght of the week. There is still only one sunday. Every once in a while, a leader will add another day to the week.
    Currently they have 23 days, and counting. The extra days are all called monday, because everyone hates mondays.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    Therefore it's actually the other way around.

You can get trapped on Athas very easily. Escaping? Not so much.
    additional thinking: when the githyanki stuck their noses out of their portals on athas and looked around at the endless dessert, psionic superhuman population, immortal sorceror kings and souped-up dragon they not only decided that they had someplace more important to be but also that they'd rather these guys didn't get out and actively blocked of any means of creating portals

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    additional thinking: when the githyanki stuck their noses out of their portals on athas and looked around at the endless dessert, psionic superhuman population, immortal sorceror kings and souped-up dragon they not only decided that they had someplace more important to be but also that they'd rather these guys didn't get out and actively blocked of any means of creating portals
    The Gith (not Githyanki, just Gith) are actually a fairly common enemy on Athas.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    The Gith (not Githyanki, just Gith) are actually a fairly common enemy on Athas.
    Not to be confused with the Pirate Gith that sail around Wildspace. Pirate Gith are supposed to be an offshoot of the Githyanki/Githzerai race that fled into Wildspace instead of the Astral plane when the big split happened.

I think Athasian Gith might be distantly related to the other Gith, but I don't really remember how.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Not to be confused with the Pirate Gith that sail around Wildspace. Pirate Gith are supposed to be an offshoot of the Githyanki/Githzerai race that fled into Wildspace instead of the Astral plane when the big split happened.

I think Athasian Gith might be distantly related to the other Gith, but I don't really remember how.
    I always figured they were Gith who got stuck... like, they looked for a Prime world to raise their kids on, and then realized they couldn't leave. So you have this group of incredibly inbred gith, stuck on the Prime Material.
    The Cranky Gamer

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    They live in dessert?
    I did not know that.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    They live in dessert?
    I did not know that.
    Their homes are made of Sandies.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Necromancy is the art of soul manipulation.

This may seem obvious, but it has specific ramifications for Animate Dead, and the many proponents of the "Good Necromancer."

See, Golems and other animated objects don't use necromancy. They all use Conjuration or Transmutation. So there's got to be something specific about animating corpses that sets it apart from binding elementals or sewing movement into a suit of armor. To me, the answer is that when a skeleton is animated, the soul that once inhabited it is torn from its final rest, in whole or in part, and bound to the decaying remains, forced to carry out the caster's wishes. They are subjected to metaphysical torture until their release.

This is why necromancy, and animating the dead in particular, is evil.

(I guess the way to test this theory would be to cast "Clone," die, then attempt to animate your own corpse? RAW, I believe that works fine, so there's evidence against my theory...)
    I've got a fiction podcast!
    Also, I'm working on a Campaign Log!
    Also, you're looking great today, did you get a haircut?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr paradox View Post
    Necromancy is the art of soul manipulation.

This may seem obvious, but it has specific ramifications for Animate Dead, and the many proponents of the "Good Necromancer."

See, Golems and other animated objects don't use necromancy. They all use Conjuration or Transmutation. So there's got to be something specific about animating corpses that sets it apart from binding elementals or sewing movement into a suit of armor. To me, the answer is that when a skeleton is animated, the soul that once inhabited it is torn from its final rest, in whole or in part, and bound to the decaying remains, forced to carry out the caster's wishes. They are subjected to metaphysical torture until their release.

This is why necromancy, and animating the dead in particular, is evil.

(I guess the way to test this theory would be to cast "Clone," die, then attempt to animate your own corpse? RAW, I believe that works fine, so there's evidence against my theory...)
    Does it means that when I cast animate deathless on a rat it takes the soul of the rat and use it to animate the deathless?
    Does it means that rat souls are as much valuable as any other soul?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

Does it means that when I cast animate deathless on a rat it takes the soul of the rat and use it to animate the deathless?
    Does it means that rat souls are as much valuable as any other soul?
    Er. Doing some quick research.

So, deathless are a positive energy equivalent to undead from the Eberron setting specifically, and "Animate Deathless" is a homebrew spell from this forum, posted about six years ago?

That's... kind of its own headcanon, isn't it?

To answer your question, I would say that a rat soul is as valuable as a rat deathless. Given that the homebrew spell in question both excludes sapient creatures and produces a notably weaker creature than Create Deathless does, it seems to indicate that a rat soul would be weaker than other souls.

That said, I'm not sure how one would judge the relative strength of souls.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Er. Doing some quick research.

So, deathless are a positive energy equivalent to undead from the Eberron setting specifically, and "Animate Deathless" is a homebrew spell from this forum, posted about six years ago?

That's... kind of its own headcanon, isn't it?

To answer your question, I would say that a rat soul is as valuable as a rat deathless. Given that the homebrew spell in question both excludes sapient creatures and produces a notably weaker creature than Create Deathless does, it seems to indicate that a rat soul would be weaker than other souls.

That said, I'm not sure how one would judge the relative strength of souls.
    I am sorry I meant create deathless which is not homebrew but from the book Eberron campaign setting.
    Create deathless have no restriction on what it can animate and always create the same kind of creature.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-12-11 at 09:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

DrowGuy

Ioun, patron goddess of librarians (and of magic if you’re like me and use the Dawn War pantheon as your go-to), is an ascended mortal; she took on the mantle of “goddess of magic” when the old god of that domain was slain. She found his spellbook, copied the spells into hers, and ascended as an unintentional side effect, making her one of the more approachable deities in the pantheon.

Shardminds aren’t the products of some “Living Gate” falling apart, but what happens when the crystalline stars fall to earth. Their natural psionic resonance collects memories, language data, and such from passers-by until the combination creates a sort of identity construct which it then embodies.

There are no giraffes on any of the normal Primes because they are, in fact, Far Realm brings domesticated by nature deities - you know, the kind that are kept out of meetings because they “smell” and “might bring another hydra to the meeting” and “don’t understand why clothes are a common decency” and so on. Most Primes simply don’t have the required gods for the task of creating a stable breeding population.
    Last edited by JBPuffin; 2019-12-11 at 11:03 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

I am sorry I meant create deathless which is not homebrew but from the book Eberron campaign setting.
    Create deathless have no restriction on what it can animate and always create the same kind of creature.
    I don't know that the "Strength" of a given soul is strictly relevant to the headcanon. More interesting is that Deathless retain the memories they had in life, suggesting that there is indeed a connection between their present state and the soul they had in life.

Aside from that, Deathless are a part of Eberron specific lore, and not D&D lore generally.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know that the "Strength" of a given soul is strictly relevant to the headcanon. More interesting is that Deathless retain the memories they had in life, suggesting that there is indeed a connection between their present state and the soul they had in life.

Aside from that, Deathless are a part of Eberron specific lore, and not D&D lore generally.
    In point of fact, deathless were introduced in the 3e Book of Exalted Deeds well before the ones in the 3e Eberron Campaign Setting. At least that's the earliest incarnation that I'm aware of. That and a few Eberron books are the only places they were printed though so it's certainly an understandable error.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    In point of fact, deathless were introduced in the 3e Book of Exalted Deeds well before the ones in the 3e Eberron Campaign Setting. At least that's the earliest incarnation that I'm aware of. That and a few Eberron books are the only places they were printed though so it's certainly an understandable error.
    Well, shut my mouth!

It's certainly fair that there's plenty of material to contradict my headcanon. It's mostly the thing that makes sense for the often stated position that Necromancy is evil, plus the thematics that eem more potent that way (Death is the natural order, defying death is an act of mortal hubris, death is larger than ourselves, the undead as a symbol of a decrepit and monstrous past, relying on undead labor as visual metaphor for slavery).

24. - Top - End - #294
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

All Cure spells and other similar healing spells are in the Necromancy school.

As they always hould have been. And as they were back in the older editions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

The Human racial deity (possibly now a vestige, such as Amon, Balam, Naberius, or Orthos) developed the ambition to attempt to contact what some Athar now refer to as the Great Unknown, and the other deities absolutely panicked, believing that if such a thing did exist that if it were made aware of them that it would destroy them (or at least ruin their fun), so they attempted to wipe the human deity out of existence (with questionable success). They allow the modern Athar, who may have been inspired by an old legend of this event, to exist only because they don't have access to the sheer, ridiculous power required to attempt the ludicrous 13th level spell/ritual (borrowing from what I've heard of old concepts of epic magic that afaik were far beyond 3.5 "epic magic") that the original attempt entailed.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Value != strength.
    I talked about soul value.
    Not about soul strength.
    Any soul is valuable through the ability to be turned into the soul of a deathless if you consider necromancy puts the soul of the corpse within the created creature.
    Essentially any soul of a dead creature can suddenly become a good aligned soul full of good intentions.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-12-13 at 07:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    All Cure spells and other similar healing spells are in the Necromancy school.

As they always hould have been. And as they were back in the older editions.
    Related: "Necromancy" concerns positive and negative energy. If the spell involves that, it's at least part necromancy.
    The Cranky Gamer

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Adding into this, though they were never clarified as 'Deathless' as such, since they precede the term, the Forgotten Realms has had something similar floating about for ages.

There are elven pseudo-liches called Baelnorns, which cannot be turned and serve as powerful lorekeepers and protectors of ancient elven secrets. They are generally lawful good, and date back to the AD&D days.
    Last edited by Scots Dragon; 2019-12-13 at 01:45 PM.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Colossus in the Playground

The FR also had plenty of nonevil human liches, who were usually referred to as archliches.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Ring of Sybiris was built to keep the Dal Quor from infecting other realities' dreams.

Or to seal away whatever weapon the Giants used to break their predecessors.
    yo