New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: DnD Head Canons

1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: DnD Head Canons

I saw this on reddit but I'm 100% using it now.
    (Can't find the link rn)
    But Genies reproduces by the process of someone wishing for infinite wishes, causing them to turn into genies, who have infinite wishes that they cannot use on themselves..
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    I saw this on reddit but I'm 100% using it now.
    (Can't find the link rn)
    But Genies reproduces by the process of someone wishing for infinite wishes, causing them to turn into genies, who have infinite wishes that they cannot use on themselves..
    Wasn't that the end of Alladin 2?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Wasn't that the end of Alladin 2?
    No thats the end of Aladdin 1, Aladdin 2's ending was Jafar dying when his lamp was destroyed.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #664

Lizardfolk

Oh huh. I guess I should rewatch Aladdin it's been so long I don't remember that at all...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh huh. I guess I should rewatch Aladdin it's been so long I don't remember that at all...
    Neither do I. Or well, it is debatable.

Jafar's wishes were:
    1. "I wish to rule on high, a sultan!"
    2. "I wish to be the most powerful sorcerer, in the world!"
    3. "I wish to be an all-powerful genie!"

The last one results in the apparition of cuffs around Jafar's wrists, and of a lamp that sucks him in.

Now, yes, it could be said that Jafar wished for more wishes. Personally, I thought that was already the case with his second wish. But anyway, he explicitly wanted to become a genie.

The surprise was the enslavement. And in Jafar's defense, or Aladdin's charge, why would either of them think that genies begin their existence as slaves?

In the sequel, it is revealed that Genie lost some of his power after being freed. So I suppose it could retroactively be said that an "all-powerful genie" had to be bound to a lamp.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Do it. The movie holds up and is in some ways more modern than newer Disney movies. Plus you'll get a few references now that you might have missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post

Now, yes, it could be said that Jafar wished for more wishes. Personally, I thought that was already the case with his second wish. But anyway, he explicitly wanted to become a genie.
    We have no frame of reference of what it means to be "the most powerful sorcerer in the world". But I think wish-granting is explicitly exclusive to Genies in this world. Wish as in: reality-altering stuff.

The surprise was the enslavement. And in Jafar's defense, or Aladdin's charge, why would either of them think that genies begin their existence as slaves?
    I mean without resorting to actual mythology which makes the whole movies questionable, you have the frame of reference that "djinns are bound". Genie is the djinn's name, but also its status and type of creature. So yes, it would be known that they start as slaves.

In the sequel, it is revealed that Genie lost some of his power after being freed. So I suppose it could retroactively be said that an "all-powerful genie" had to be bound to a lamp.
    Mythology rant: Genie is a "djinn" in the widest sense, a less powerful genie, which is an air spirit that protects humans and nature. Jafar is modelled after a more demonic and evil "ifrit", that is actively malicious and wants to destroy humanity, make them suffer and coax them into sinning.

Much of it is doused in real-world religion (genies are proto-religious creatures, which are retroactively used in religious texts) so if you are interested, research on your own, it is pretty interesting.

An interesting head-canon but I actually feel like it is much nicer to make genies nothing but just "banished" devils. An ifrit would be a banished devil; they are LE, they need to fulfill their contracts, they love fire. They got a bit overzealous, wanting to overthrow the evil establishment with the ultimate power of spells, and they got their wish (heh!). It would be so perfectly on brand for 5e devil lore to create genies that have ultimate power to fulfill the wildest dreams, but cannot use them for themselves.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    We have no frame of reference of what it means to be "the most powerful sorcerer in the world". But I think wish-granting is explicitly exclusive to Genies in this world. Wish as in: reality-altering stuff.
    We know it lets you trap people inside hourglasses, or turn yourself into a giant snake.

And for what it is worth, a deleted song would have confirmed that all "Prince Ali" got was a larger and louder version of Cinderella's carriage and attendants.

Jafar: What were the horses?
    Genie: They were roaches.

Jafar: And the camels?
    Genie: They were gnats.

Jafar: And the elephant?
    Genie: His monkey, and the rest of them were rats.

Jafar: They were rodents?
    Genie: Yes, diseased ones.

Jafar: Oh, how very very sad.

If only Genie had pulled the same thing on "Sultan Jafar". Instead of taking over an actual country, let's send you to some remote anthill and fancy it up.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aladdin references right then why he would think that, by paraphrasing something Genie had said to him: It's all part-and-parcel of the whole genie package - phenomenal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.
    Genie had told Aladdin that being a genie meant being bound to a lamp, unless someone wished for your freedom.

To Jafar, of course, that came as a complete surprise.
    Last edited by SpyOne; 2021-08-07 at 12:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Evil gods keep their followers evil by punishing good deeds and commanding evil be done to prove their loyalty.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    Evil gods keep their followers evil by punishing good deeds and commanding evil be done to prove their loyalty.
    This is almost explicitly how Maglubiyet works in Volo's (5e). It raises a lot of questions since he apparently smites any goblinoid that steps out of line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

11. - Top - End - #671
    Dwarf in the Playground

I’m not actually sure if this is just a “head”canon or implied somewhere in the text, but the ring of Sigil is a door with a key somewhere.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    This is almost explicitly how Maglubiyet works in Volo's (5e). It raises a lot of questions since he apparently smites any goblinoid that steps out of line.
    I've been rereading that, and I couldn't find any references to him smiting goblinoids.

The two bugbear deities, yes - but they don't usually have clerics, and that's how their manifest their disapproval, rather than having clerics do it.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #673

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I've been rereading that, and I couldn't find any references to him smiting goblinoids.

The two bugbear deities, yes - but they don't usually have clerics, and that's how their manifest their disapproval, rather than having clerics do it.
    D&D gods usually aren't Discworld gods who go around breaking the windows of atheists. Being directly smote by a deity should require some tremendous act against said deity, such as despoiling their main temple or destroying a relic of theirs... Simply doing something the deity disapproves of in general shouldn't cut it, otherwise Lathander would be able to immediately kill every necromancer in Faerun.

(Showing disapproval with a follower in non-lethal ways is probably more tolerated - sending omens and the like)

14. - Top - End - #674
    Colossus in the Playground

Yup - when Drizzt saves an elf's life, Lolth doesn't smite him, she has a demon minion warn the house leader that the house is "out of the favour of Lolth" - and lets the house members do all the investigating.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-08-08 at 05:44 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    I’m not actually sure if this is just a “head”canon or implied somewhere in the text, but the ring of Sigil is a door with a key somewhere.
    The Spire is the key. You just need to find how to lower the city a bit.

16. - Top - End - #676

RogueGuy

1. the gods are not omniscient in Faerune.
    2. the gods also reward behavior they like, see clerics and other divine classes, with power.
    3. most of the punishment is dealt with by minions and clerics.

17. - Top - End - #677

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    1. the gods are not omniscient in Faerune.
    2. the gods also reward behavior they like, see clerics and other divine classes, with power.
    3. most of the punishment is dealt with by minions and clerics.
    I'm pretty sure all of those things are actual canon.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

I got them mixed up. I think Volo's tried to make humanoid monsters sympathetic in all the wrong ways and that particular one always stuck out to me as being weirdly PC-hostile for a book that let you actually play one of those creatures
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

19. - Top - End - #679

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    I'm pretty sure all of those things are actual canon.
    I am aware, but it is an explanation as to why every instance of someone acting good in the Drow homes and amongst goblins is not autopunished by gods who want evil while said gods are trying to make everyone evil.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Some Abyss personal lore. Killing a Demon Lord within the Abyss will cause the absorbed world they are within to return to being a material plane. And then they will reform in another area of the Abyss along with any demons that had been killed in the area.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Some Abyss personal lore. Killing a Demon Lord within the Abyss will cause the absorbed world they are within to return to being a material plane. And then they will reform in another area of the Abyss along with any demons that had been killed in the area.
    So if you kill an infinity of times a specific demon lord you can unabyss the entire abyss?

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Killing a Demon Lord within the Abyss will cause the absorbed world they are within to return to being a material plane.
    ...did 5e retcon Abyssal layers to all be corrupted former Material Plane worlds that were then absorbed into the Abyss, or something like that? Or is "Abyssal layers are absorbed Material worlds" part of the headcanon?
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    ...did 5e retcon Abyssal layers to all be corrupted former Material Plane worlds that were then absorbed into the Abyss, or something like that? Or is "Abyssal layers are absorbed Material worlds" part of the headcanon?
    Not necessarily all layers, but 5e's description of a typical demonic invasion does end with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes p25
    When a demonic incursion runs its course, no vestige remains of the world that existed before--in effect, the realm has become another layer of the Abyss.

24. - Top - End - #684

EvilClericGuy

Not necessarily all layers, but 5e's description of a typical demonic invasion does end with:
    There are also a few references in late 3E material to ongoing demonic invasions to different material planes.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

how many campaigns are about defeating a demonic invasion?

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    So if you kill an infinity of times a specific demon lord you can unabyss the entire abyss?
    Even if that would work, no.

Calculating with infinities is tricky. No matter how many layers you destroy, the number of remaining layers does not change. Also only if the layers are countable you would even arrive at every given layer at a finite time.

27. - Top - End - #687

Quote Originally Posted by Satinavian View Post
    Even if that would work, no.

Calculating with infinities is tricky. No matter how many layers you destroy, the number of remaining layers does not change. Also only if the layers are countable you would even arrive at every given layer at a finite time.
    New head canon: Abyss layers have cardinality of aleph TWO.
    Because CHAOS!

28. - Top - End - #688
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    how many campaigns are about defeating a demonic invasion?
    A theoretically infinite number.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I expect the intention is there is a core Abyss and it is surrounded-connected to a vast expanse of conquered worlds.
    Because Demon Lords are referred to in the invasion stuff, I figure their domains are mostly worlds conquered over the millennia.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, p25
    When a demonic incursion runs its course, no vestige remains of the world that existed before--in effect, the realm has become another layer of the Abyss.

<morbo>Outer Planes do not work that way!</morbo>

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    There are also a few references in late 3E material to ongoing demonic invasions to different material planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username
    I expect the intention is there is a core Abyss and it is surrounded-connected to a vast expanse of conquered worlds.
    There's a proud tradition of demons invading various worlds and demon princes trying to conquer worlds for themselves, going all the way back to the Queen of the Demonweb Pits module wherein Lolth's realm had portals to seven different worlds that her forces had conquered or were in the process of conquering. Having lots of portals/breaches/rifts/etc. between certain Abyssal layers and certain Material worlds is totally kosher.

But that's very different from bunches of Material Plane worlds getting yoinked into the Abyss, especially if that's supposed to be a natural consequence of having a critical mass of demons rather than it resulting from a fancy one-off ritual of some sort. Regions shifting between planes due to local philosophical shifts has always been only an Outer Plane thing (layers moving between planes, Outlands gate towns getting absorbed into their connected planes, etc.), and it kinda has to work that way because otherwise it severely undermines the Material Plane's position as a cosmic Switzerland and one would start seeing things like the Blood War spilling out into every Prime world as both sides try to absorb worlds for themselves.

That bit of 5e lore is simply very poorly considered and, appropriately for this thread, should be shot with a headcannon.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2021-08-24 at 03:02 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this