Default Re: DnD Head Canons

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Except less bro and more hipster
    Spoiler: Like in the movie Bright?
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's definitely closer. But those are both snapshots and don't reflect that in a month the fashion will be completely different.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is a great thread. I have so many replies...

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    Year 1401, Seville, Kingdom of Castile, in today's Spain. The city council declared they would "build a temple so big and beautiful future generations will see it and judge us madmen..."

And they built the largest (by surface) gothic cathedral ever made...
    Isn't that Barcelona (and it really is a fantastic cathedral)

It seems like a lot of people here think one way or the Other that the Lady of Pan is trapped in Sidgil... which is cool that so many people came to the same headcannon.

-------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    not exactly true: or else everyone could imagine "a functional world where there is a super cool thing that is able to come in my world and help me and which is going to do so in 5 seconds from my time" and due to them being able to conceive it then it would exist and come in five seconds to help this person.
    might even be the case, there's just a lot more worlds with people wishing for help than worlds where that person exists so odds are you will never see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    FWIW, the Borg were originally going to be bugs, not cyborgs. They might have been "inspired" by the oard and/or cybermen later, but their original concept was as an insectoid species. It was dropped due to budget concerns.
    I heard this as well, that's why species whatever number from Voyager were insect-like

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    When a deity becomes two deities or more, as it happened to Io (Bahamut/Tiamat), Tyche (Beshaba/Tymora), and Realmspace's original goddess of the night (Selûne/Shar), these deities remain connected through a type of vestige, called a schismatic vestige.

Those who call upon the power of a schismatic vestige often seek to remerge the corresponding deities. Some faiths instead regard the original deity as being alive and well, but known through aspects, as is the case with the elven worship of Angharradh (Aerdrie/Hanali/Sehanine).

On some worlds, drow religion revolves around the broken goddess Araushnee (Eilistraee/Lolth/Vandria). In this view, the lawful Vandria is most similar to Araushnee when the goddess first called the elves to adopt permanent forms and build empires, except that she now grieves over the losses this project brought and focuses on keeping the drow safe in their exile. Meanwhile, Lolth embodies the wrath the goddess felt when Corellon condemned her efforts, and which eventually caused her to attack him and shatter. Finally, the gentle Eilistraee represents the hope of rekindling the friendship between Corellon and the drow.
    I could get down with this except in my game world Lolth is just another form taken by Shar, although I have left it intentionally vague as to whether Lolth ever was a thing.

And now my own.... The Spellplague killed all of the chosen (which included Manshoon and Szas Tam etc...), and the changed nature of magic makes it impossible for new ones to be created. And none of that Albier stuff happened... that anyone remembers.
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Humans are actually a bastardized version of ANY race they are genetically compatible to (read as in: can create half-races with). That is why they are so different, and are so middle of the road of anything.

Half-dwarves don't exist since dwarves did not take part in this disgusting interracial breeding program.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Humans are actually a bastardized version of ANY race they are genetically compatible to (read as in: can create half-races with). That is why they are so different, and are so middle of the road of anything.

Half-dwarves don't exist since dwarves did not take part in this disgusting interracial breeding program.
    So what are mongrelfolk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #216

During peacetime goblins, orcs, and most other evil humanoids live a pastoral life as shepherds and ranchers because they find slaughtering the animals to be emotionally rewarding
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-07-25 at 10:18 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gnomes and Halflings view each other as distant yet estranged cousin races, their origins and cultures unified. Only the clergy among them can wear the tall comic hats that some elves depict in statues that they decorate their gardens with.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Oh boy, giving me an excuse to ramble about headcanons? You may regret that decision.

So, the Draconic language is, for my settings, reliant on pitch - some well beyond human hearing in either direction - as a method of relaying information. Because true dragons vary in size to such an extent over their lives, the range of sounds they can produce also changes as they grow. For this reason, the Draconic pronouns used to indicate great wisdom/strength/learning/age are literally not able to be properly pronounced by a dragon smaller than adult, reinforcing the hierarchy between dragons. Draconic races, like kobolds and dragonborn have a greater hearing range than most other humanoids, and so can perceive but not reproduce the most self-aggrandising forms of address in Draconic.

Kobold dialect Draconic in particular sounds very high-pitched and fast compared to the depth of a true dragons voice, and kobolds tend to speak quickly, perhaps due to their dragon masters lack of patience, or their generally short average lifespan. These tendencies are responsible for their yappy accents, which persist in common.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Volothamp Geddarm's persona has been adopted by a devil that killed him in secret and hired out its services as a sort of evil PR expert. This is why Volo's Guide to Monsters gives excuses for every classic evil mook race, even though one would think if it was all a god's fault (Orcs, Goblins) or if they never did anything wrong unless they were forced into it (Kobolds) they wouldn't be evil in the first place.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

I use DwarfFortress elves for my games.

To wit: elves are tree hugging eco terrorists with a high level of anilam empathy. Therefore killing animals for food, skins, etc., is taboo. Yet elves are omnivorous and enjoy a good pork chop like anyone else. So consuming the flesh of sapients is not taboo in elven society.

Halfling burgers are a thing.

11. - Top - End - #221

Volothamp Geddarm's persona has been adopted by a devil that killed him in secret and hired out its services as a sort of evil PR expert. This is why Volo's Guide to Monsters gives excuses for every classic evil mook race, even though one would think if it was all a god's fault (Orcs, Goblins) or if they never did anything wrong unless they were forced into it (Kobolds) they wouldn't be evil in the first place.
    Wouldn't devils be more likely to do the reverse and spread false accusations about non-evil races, thereby provoking people to attack them and gain evil karma

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I use DwarfFortress elves for my games.

To wit: elves are tree hugging eco terrorists with a high level of anilam empathy. Therefore killing animals for food, skins, etc., is taboo. Yet elves are omnivorous and enjoy a good pork chop like anyone else. So consuming the flesh of sapients is not taboo in elven society.

Halfling burgers are a thing.
    An interesting reversal of Dark Sun, where the halflings are the people eaters.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Wouldn't devils be more likely to do the reverse and spread false accusations about non-evil races, thereby provoking people to attack them and gain evil karma
    Sure, you can spread Evil by increasing evil... but you can also spread it by reducing the amount of evil that dies.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Sure, you can spread Evil by increasing evil... but you can also spread it by reducing the amount of evil that dies.
    Wouldn;t they want to cash in as soon as a creature turns evil (or at least as soon as it turns evil enough to go to Baator rather than Ribcage or Acheron)?

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Halflings are a sub-species of Humans that are half the size in average

Gnomes are the same too Elves and old elvish Gnome just means little-elf

Kobolds are the same too Lizardfolk with no connection to dragons but spending time around them causes the kobolds to develop 'dragon' traits as they adapt to there home environment

Goblins are the same to Orc's and Hobgoblins are just what happens when a goblin and orc have a child
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

16. - Top - End - #226

Gods that seem to be regional gods of a small area despite being intermediate or greater deities are the rank they are because they're also worshipped on other worlds where their following is larger and their control of theor portfolio elements is less ambiguous

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #227

So what are mongrelfolk?
    Mongrelfolk are mix of 100% miscellaneous humanoids

Humans are a mix of 50% human, 50% miscellaneous everything (ie. also dragon, demon, celestial, yeti, etc. in addition to just humanoids)

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Counter to the assertion that kobold's evil 'isn't their fault', I propose that gnomes are actually the evil race. Lore throughout editions has been pretty clear that kobolds were chill and fine before Garl Glittergold imprisoned Kurtulmak for... reasons. Supplanting the imprisonment of a benevolent god and forcing its subjects into barbarism, the new greatest joke gnomes have pulled is convincing everyone else they are good.

Gnuke the gnomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Counter to the assertion that kobold's evil 'isn't their fault', I propose that gnomes are actually the evil race. Lore throughout editions has been pretty clear that kobolds were chill and fine before Garl Glittergold imprisoned Kurtulmak for... reasons. Supplanting the imprisonment of a benevolent god and forcing its subjects into barbarism, the new greatest joke gnomes have pulled is convincing everyone else they are good.

Gnuke the gnomes.
    This is just kobold propoganda the truth is actually the kobolds were evil after all Garl was just trying too help and Kurtulmak got upset as we all know kobolds are short sighted wrastrels and vagabonds
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    This is just kobold propoganda the truth is actually the kobolds were evil after all Garl was just trying too help and Kurtulmak got upset as we all know kobolds are short sighted wrastrels and vagabonds
    Tch! Another gnome apologist! How can you defend a people who hide from the world studying secrets only emerging with plans to sow chaos! They are thematically identical every doomsday cult!

Truth be told, I don't care for kobolds either. They both kind of annoy me. Maybe it's because of the time I spent playing horde in WoW.

It is kind of compelling to me that the lore leaves this kind of vague. To me the evidence solidifies when you look at the racial powers of the gnomes and kobolds, the things that could be considered the 'blessings of their gods'. The kobold's pack tactics and grovel, cower, and beg (aka Mass Help Action) really paint them as a cooperative people, while gnomes get powers meant to deceive. If I had to choose between a gnome or kobold to help me, the kobold's nature makes it a collaborator, while a gnome is suited to ditch me and hide.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

They're pretty clear about both groups having their own clear cut version of events, actually, at least in 5e. Kobolds claim Garl was jealous of Kurtulmak's wealth and trapped him. Gnome lore holds that Kurtulmak and his kobolds enslaved them, so Garl lead him away and trapped him in a cave in. Of course, it's only in 5e that this entrapment became permanent, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure in previous editions he got out and then declared an eternal war on Glittergold and his people.

I actually like both kobolds and gnomes and think their feud is interesting, but the writers are clearly trying to avoid certain moral implications. It's unfortunately in a way that tends to paint the "good guys" as outright villains rather than generating moral complexity. And they still somehow prevented monster PCs from making sense. So, clearly, Volo is a plant.

Edit: To be fair, looking at the non-deity related lore, gnomes are described as friendly and inventive, whereas kobold ingenuity is entirely built around traps because, at the best of times, they're fiercely isolationist. Also kobolds don't care about the individual unless the individual is important, i.e. any given kobold(s) can die in a cave in and none of them will really be concerned (barring serious damage to tribe numbers), but a hero will be remembered until the tribe dies out.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-08-10 at 11:07 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

22. - Top - End - #232

I had this funny idea pop into my head of beholders' eyes being single use and constantly regrowing. When an eye ray is fired the eye ejects like a spent cartridge and a new one pops in from a feed inside the eyestalk.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-08-11 at 01:12 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

I had this funny idea pop into my head of beholders' eyes being single use and constantly regrowing. When an eye ray is fired the eye ejects like a spent cartridge and a new one pops in from a feed inside the eyestalk.
    Gross. But totally believable for an aberration. Also, horrifying to spring on a party if they put one of its eyes out.

DM: Your arrow embeds itself in the center eye, ruining the Anti-Magic Cone that was keeping the wizard's magic at bay.

PC: Great! Ok, you can cast this turn so-

DM: The eye shifts in its socket, before falling from the beholder. In its place, you see a new eye, glassy and mucusy but beginning to clear, take its place. You suddenly recall the mutilated troll corpses and vials of green ichor from before. With horror, you realize what the beholder's experiments were for.

And then presumably your players put your eyes out, but what are you gonna do?
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tch! Another gnome apologist! How can you defend a people who hide from the world studying secrets only emerging with plans to sow chaos! They are thematically identical every doomsday cult!

Truth be told, I don't care for kobolds either. They both kind of annoy me. Maybe it's because of the time I spent playing horde in WoW.

It is kind of compelling to me that the lore leaves this kind of vague. To me the evidence solidifies when you look at the racial powers of the gnomes and kobolds, the things that could be considered the 'blessings of their gods'. The kobold's pack tactics and grovel, cower, and beg (aka Mass Help Action) really paint them as a cooperative people, while gnomes get powers meant to deceive. If I had to choose between a gnome or kobold to help me, the kobold's nature makes it a collaborator, while a gnome is suited to ditch me and hide.
    Honestly i both like and dislike them as a concept i think they can be interesting as instead of being dragons a breed of lizardfolk where they develop traits to fit the environment and there view as being close to dragons means they develop too live near a dragon they serve.
    Thus the traits that are draconic are from generations living around them.

Ehhh if we go by the grovel, cower, and beg stuff of the kobold it also points too a cultural need to supplement a superiors ego which means i wouldn't trust the kobold if given too much power or a leadership position
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    The creator of the couatls was, of course, Quetzalcoatl. He was also the lone good-aligned god of the yuan-ti.
    So it turns out that 5e's mysterious couatl god had a name in previous editions. It is Jazirian. And to my surprise, some legends portray him as the creator of the Great Wheel, no less, together with his evil twin Ahriman (who may or may not be Asmodeus' true identity). Those two are said to be recovering from the fight they had after the Wheel was completed, now biting their own tails instead of each other's, one on Mount Celestia and the other deep in the ninth hell.

Also, couatl yuan-ti are totally a thing. They are called shulassakar on Eberron.

That's all really cool!

Now, I guess that a common headcanon must be that there was a third great serpent working with them. Trinity, rule of three, and all that. My own take is that the third serpent is... Sigil, also biting her own tail, with the Lady of Pain as a servant or avatar.

26. - Top - End - #236

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Wizard have fairs to settle their arguments with games like Summoners chess, cantrip obstacle course, and familiar shows.
    Complete Arcane of 3.5 (or maybe Complete Mage?) goes over this sort of concept. But I have to say I particularly love the idea of a familiar pageant. I can practically feel the sheer loathing of all the imps and quasits and small elementals as they're made to compete alongside assorted cats, bats, toads, and birds.

And better yet, the occasional pseudodragon who simply delights in the opportunity.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Magefairs are canonical in the Forgotten Realms, and the short story Elminster at the Magefair gives a good look at one. One of the highlights is a fireball-flinging contest where the wizards alter the spell components to make it more flashy and/or destructive.

If you've ever wanted to explain in-character where your wizard learned his metamagic feats (and condescend to uncultured sorcerers at the same time), now you know.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

28. - Top - End - #238

There was a great fan theory once that gnomes, in fact, do not actually exist, and their continued existence is a trick played on other races by the non existent gnomes- by convincing them that they exist... They exist!

Only by observing a gnome can you tell if it is existing.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

29. - Top - End - #239
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Magefairs are canonical in the Forgotten Realms, and the short story Elminster at the Magefair gives a good look at one. One of the highlights is a fireball-flinging contest where the wizards alter the spell components to make it more flashy and/or destructive.

If you've ever wanted to explain in-character where your wizard learned his metamagic feats (and condescend to uncultured sorcerers at the same time), now you know.
    Brothers in Arms actually has a sequence where Raistlin learns the No Components feat, IIRC. From a priest, no less.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

30. - Top - End - #240

When Asmodeus fell he likely took a layer of Celestia with him. It seems the kimd of thing likely to happen upon a whole bunch of archons turning evil. Akin to when one of the layers of Arcadia fell into mechanus when its inhabiyants ceased being good

Omegaupdate Forum