New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    All of this, plus a hefty amount of humor, plus ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Hail Hydra!
    Yes, I forgot that - like I said, so many moments!

I laughed SO HARD there.

(I told Mum I'd explain that after the show.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Also after Tony yoinks the gaunlet off Thanos and said, like " yeah, well, I am..." and there was just enough of a pause you can see Tony trying to come up with his last snappy one-liner and then just going 'frack it,' and going with "Ironman." Perfect.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-05-08 at 01:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Hulk Banner almost killed or worst antman because he didn't know enough about time travel until Tony arrived for fix his mess, he's not exactly a flawless authority in the subject.
    Maybe it was just an engineering problem...after all, that's what Stark is good at...

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: General
    Show
    Saw it again last friday (normally don't see movies twice in a theater). It was really, really awesome! The beginning was a bit slow, but it actually was a really good buildup for the end which was just a wild ride. And there were many moving scene's, not just Tony Stark's funeral, but the part where Cap stands against Thanos, and when the armies arrive and he finally says those words... It was just such a wild ride. Really interested to see where they'll go after this, Thanos was the big bad they building up to for a decade or so. Not sure if the Spider-man movie will introduce a new Big Villain, seems like it is mainly dealing with the aftermath. Interested also in the Loki tv show, just to see what they're going to do with him after all, and if the mainline Loki survived.

The only thing that actually bothered me was Thor. I think they went a bit too far with him, though the actual idea wasn't that bad. Didn't ruin anything, and the scenes with his mother were good, and he still put up a good fight. When he found out he was worthy was such a nice moment.

Spoiler: Timetravel
    Show
    Timetravel rarely works very well, and I just turned my brain off in that regard. It was a nice excuse to visit past movies, and that's enough for me. Cap vs Cap, and the subversion of the elevator scene with the Hail Hydra were especially funny.

While I didn't think about it that hard, going to give my two cents anyway. Personally, from Ancient One's and Hulk's discussion, I understood that returning the Infinity Stone prevents the timeline split, and the changes they made don't. I don't think the AO would have lied, and only hesitated because she believed there was a good chance the heroes wouldn't succeed (indeed, 1 in 14 million). Steve's stunt at the end does muddle things up a bit. Either him returning to the present caused a whole timeline to disappear (which seems awful, as people are sort of killed) or an alternate timeline is created every time someone travels to different point in time. In any case, I think the most consistent explanation is that he spent his time in the alternate timeline, and then came back to the present, remembering where everyone was at the time. Anyway, it was a nice ending for him. Not every retiring hero needs to die.

He also could have done something with Hank Pym/one of the Starks to maybe sort of stabilize their timeline. Not sure if the multiverse thing in Spider-Man trailer is related to the timetravel directly (I think they mentioned the Snap as a cause).

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    There seems to be some confusion about what cap did too. At least the screen writers and the directors disagree on what happened. The Directors say he was in an alternate timeline. The Writers say he was in the main timeline and just took the long way home.
    Spoiler: Writers v Directors, re: Cap
    Show
    The writers are contradicting their own story's internal logic, in that case. If you can go back in time, alter something, but not split the timeline (which is what Cap staying in the past but somehow arriving in the same future would be), then they should have just been able to go back and change history so the Snap never happened. The directors' explanation makes considerably more sense with the story as it stands, so that's what I'd go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Just giot back from, seeing it, no idea what the thread's currently debating (shudder to think given past debates...), but It.

Was.

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Spoiler
    Show
    I love they were smart enough to go from the get go "nope, can't just do this by beating up Thanos" because that's what a lot of us were expecting (given the comics) but actually had where-with-all to do a timeskip and, despite bringing people back, have the conequences of losing five years.

So many great moments.

Cap wielding the Hammer!

Lady Avenger Walk!

Scarlet Witch breaking all Thanos' gear (thank you move, for giving me a 100% positive thing to say about Wanda for the first time since M-Day!)

Pepper in the fracking armour, hells yes!

Avengers Assemble! (I was SO hoping that would be a thing, but until that last moment when Thanos dropped his minions out, I wasn't sure they'd be doing it.)

Hulk! (Pretty much the whole time.)

The big starship starts shooting up because oh [snap] Captain Marvel is coming and pants are being darkened!

Thanos doing a headbutt on Carol and her just giving him the "the frack was that supposed to do, dude" look.

Loki, managing AGAIN to weasel out of stuff and still Being A Villain ('cos he naffed off with at least one version of the tesseract...)

Also, Cassie Lang, now being five years older? Lot closer to her being able to do some heroing herself, which I approve of!

Sad to see Ironman and Cap go (if not entirely unexpected.) But unlike the comic, if you don't want to recast or reboot (which I don't want them to) Legacy heroes is fine, and if it gets Falcon his own Captain America movie, I'm all for it. (I'd also take a Pepper Potts Ironman movie, if it was offered, actually.)

Was surprised at Widow, though, dangit.

Cap got a happy ending, though (and so did Peggy). And, most importantly, that was the RIGHT amount of deaths (two, spaced apart, each having meaning) and one retirement. Killing Cap off as well would have dimished the impact of Tony's and Widow's deaths.

That was at the same time not what I expected but everything I'd hoped!

Roll on the next ten years!
    Agreed on all counts (aside from me not knowing who Cassie Lang is).
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Spoiler: Writers v Directors, re: Cap
    Show
    The writers are contradicting their own story's internal logic, in that case. If you can go back in time, alter something, but not split the timeline (which is what Cap staying in the past but somehow arriving in the same future would be), then they should have just been able to go back and change history so the Snap never happened. The directors' explanation makes considerably more sense with the story as it stands, so that's what I'd go with.
    Spoiler: Cap
    Show
    There are actually two different explanations of time travel that happen in the movie. First, Professor Hulk says you can't change the past because you've already gone back and done it, the closed-time-loop model. Then the Ancient One says removing a Stone would cause the timeline to split, the branching-timelines model.

So if Cap had gone back and started superhero-ing in the 40s, that would have altered the past and branched off a new timeline. However, if Cap went back, changed his identity, kept a low profile, and didn't do anything that would cause a change, then it would be perfectly self-consistent for post-time-travel Cap to be living out his life while pre-time-travel Cap was frozen and then Avenger-ing, and indeed to always have been doing that in the background of the original movies.

Presumably, if you did try to change the past while the Stones are all in place, you wouldn't branch off a timeline, you'd get the "events conspire to make things turn out the way they originally did" model of time travel--Cap puts all the Stones back, decides to show up at SHIELD HQ to surprise Peggy when everyone knows he should still be frozen, and then gets hit by a truck while he's crossing the street or something in such a way that his body is unrecognizable and there's no hint of any temporal shenanigans. But that's not stated anywhere on-screen and only implied by the two differing explanations.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post

Agreed on all counts (aside from me not knowing who Cassie Lang is).
    Ant-Man's daughter, repeatedly shown to want to participate in heroics with her dad. At least, she did when she was still a kid, no indication if she still wants to get into that life now that she's had 5 years to grow in the post-Snap world without her father around.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

On pepper... I don't think she was really against the suits themselves. I think it was the situation. He was obsessed with them, and he was going so hard that he was probably going to get himself killed.

Once he gave that up, I think she like them. Who wouldn't want a suit.

She also could have have had an AI insider of her suit protecting and guiding her ala Spiderman Homecoming.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Show
    There are actually two different explanations of time travel that happen in the movie. First, Professor Hulk says you can't change the past because you've already gone back and done it, the closed-time-loop model. Then the Ancient One says removing a Stone would cause the timeline to split, the branching-timelines model.

So if Cap had gone back and started superhero-ing in the 40s, that would have altered the past and branched off a new timeline. However, if Cap went back, changed his identity, kept a low profile, and didn't do anything that would cause a change, then it would be perfectly self-consistent for post-time-travel Cap to be living out his life while pre-time-travel Cap was frozen and then Avenger-ing, and indeed to always have been doing that in the background of the original movies.

Presumably, if you did try to change the past while the Stones are all in place, you wouldn't branch off a timeline, you'd get the "events conspire to make things turn out the way they originally did" model of time travel--Cap puts all the Stones back, decides to show up at SHIELD HQ to surprise Peggy when everyone knows he should still be frozen, and then gets hit by a truck while he's crossing the street or something in such a way that his body is unrecognizable and there's no hint of any temporal shenanigans. But that's not stated anywhere on-screen and only implied by the two differing explanations.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That doesn't really add up though. It seems to require the universe to be able to distinguish between major and minor changes to the timeline and actively only decide to split the timeline into a new one for particularly major changes, rather than for the physics of it to work in any one consistent way. And that last bit of speculation on your part just sounds like total nonsense that's unsupported by the film entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Ant-Man's daughter, repeatedly shown to want to participate in heroics with her dad. At least, she did when she was still a kid, no indication if she still wants to get into that life now that she's had 5 years to grow in the post-Snap world without her father around.
    Ah, that makes sense then (I didn't watch the Ant-Man films). Cool, maybe she'll get to play a part in future Avengers films or something.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler: Timetravel stuff
    Show

Yeah there's a kind of hybrid model going, maybe because of the creators not all agreeing with each other, but it I think it actually checks out pretty well, going off the exposition delivered by the Ancient One. There's the main timeline, shown as a golden line in the scene with Hulk. Make any big changes, like removing a Stone, and you create a branch off it. She objects to Hulks plan because she knows about Dormammu and that Strange'll need the Stone. That's represented by the golden branch going dark. Hulk suggests returning it, at which point the AO basically tells him she can't trust him to keep his word. Hulk mentions Strange handing the Stone over, yadda, yadda. Point is, the AO seems to believe returning the Stone will work and quickly gives it over once she has reason to trust Hulk.

So you can't change anything in your own past because any big changes cause a different timeline to branch off, instead of changing your timeline. However, you can be sneaky and make closed loops where people and things move back and forth in time, so long as everything gets put back in its original place. Ish. There's a apparently some degree of leeway there. It's kinda like Harry Potter time travel, in the closed loop aspect, I think?

Anyway, when the Team go back in time they create a bunch of temporary (they hope) branching timelines, and then Cap goes back with the Stones and Mjolnir to loop everything back up. Except he almost certainly can't patch everything so there's a few split-off timelines running parallel the main one now. It's kinda messy but it seems to hold up for now.

Show

Show
    My personal headcanon on that one is that Cap got a stern talking-to (and some help) from the Ancient One regarding how to correctly repair the timelines. Possibly several times, as he put the various stones back.

For funsies, here are my guesses on how he went about doing that.

Time: Easy peasy. Probably gets advice or even help from the Ancient One on how to go about replacing the other ones.
    Mind: He convinced Hydra he's playing for them, and he probably needs to correct that notion for the timelines to merge, but it's doable.
    Space: Replacing the Space Stone in the 70's is easy. Replacing the one Loki ran off with is not so doable buuuuut Loki has to have it to hand it over to Thanos at the start of Infinity War so maybe that timeline eventually merges into the main one?
    Reality: I thought it was tricky until I remembered Frygga knows what's going on. She's hella wise, was raised by witches, and sorta even hints she knows she's gonna die, so she's perhaps aware that her actions will have almost no impact on the timeline. It's plausible that she pulls some strings in the background, and arranges for the return of Mjolnir and the Reality Stone.
    Soul: Cap hands it back over to Red Skull, presumably. Must make for an awkward conversation, that. How Cap gets to Vormir is a big fat question mark, however.
    Power: Simple in theory, if not for the same logistics issues as above. Maybe the AO can portal him there? There's also the matter of that timeline's Thanos suddenly going missing, along with his daughters and army. That's not something that can get patched by Cap, but could be a plot point for future films, maybe Guardians 3.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2019-05-08 at 07:13 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

I saw it today.

Spoiler
    Show
    While I was watching it I couldn't help but think of the TNG series finale, All Good Things. Other than involving time travel and dealing with an existential crisis plot-wise they aren't that similar technically, but they have that same feeling of pride in the characters and what they've accomplished with them over the years and wanting to show that from all these angles simultaneously. Sure, they're going to do more of these Marvel movie as with Star Trek there's much more to it than Picard and Data, but the proverbial Enterprise has zoomed off screen and they really wanted you to be content with that.

There's closure here, it's finely-weaved into a three hour-ish script. Which is something you rarely ever get in Big Two comic stories regardless of what individual writers attempt with one of these characters over the years, and haven't gotten in a while in comic book movies. Logan did it really well, although it did so via an AU side-story that skipped the intermediate material to just show (a version, at least) Logan's last days. The only other one who attempted something like this was The Dark Knight Rises, but it tumbled quite significantly by trying to make it fit the allegory it was going for rather than it extending from the character, well among other things.

Anyways, I want to watch it again just to see Howard the Duck. I mean, not now, I can't watch movies multiple times in theatres like some can even if they weren't 3 hours long, but I'll be scanning the screen carefully when it comes out on home video.

Edit: I should point out that my initial line was going to be "2/10, no Howard the Duck," but then I decided to Google it.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-05-08 at 08:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Does that mean Cap watches Peggy die (again?) That definitely hurts a lot.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Does that mean Cap watches Peggy die (again?) That definitely hurts a lot.
    Not only that, caps get to witness every major disaster, every big terrorrist attack for the next decades while keeping his mouth closed and don't do anything to prevent/repair them.

If caps sees somebody in any kind of trouble, he can't help them whitout risking disrupting the timeline and must look the other way.

Plus there is always the risk of butterfly effect. Caps could easily alter the timeline by the simplest of actions. Maybe he takes a job that makes somebody that would be important take another career in life. Maybe he lets out some future fact during a normal conversation that makes other people start getting ideas they shouldn't have at that time. Maybe he bumps in the wrong person at the wrong time. Maybe his extra mass and energy from simply existing alters the enviroment enough to change probabilities so some key random event goes the other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My smart-aleck remark (that's really not a true concern of mine, it just amuses me)
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the "unsnap", you suddenly get ~3.5 billion people back in a world that after 5 years has *probably* moved on and is only growing enough food for the 3.5 billion who are left. I suppose until a crash ramp up of farming happens, they could eat many of the *other* creatures that also got unsnapped to tide everybody over instead of losing half of the population all over again to starvation...
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    My smart-aleck remark (that's really not a true concern of mine, it just amuses me)
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the "unsnap", you suddenly get ~3.5 billion people back in a world that after 5 years has *probably* moved on and is only growing enough food for the 3.5 billion who are left. I suppose until a crash ramp up of farming happens, they could eat many of the *other* creatures that also got unsnapped to tide everybody over instead of losing half of the population all over again to starvation...
    Plus
    Spoiler
    Show

Those people need places to sleep in, clean water, bathrooms, jobs, you name it.

Not to mention how to deal with bank accounts and property rights and whatnot. Certainly more than one person was pretty happy with the Snap letting them inherit a bunch of stuff, and may not be very cooperative with returning it or may've just spent it already.

And last but not least, really sucks if you were plane passenger #176 and get to unsnap in the middle of the air. Or the people taking a boat ride that get to unsnap in the middle of the ocean. Or all the people who were in the middle of the street or taking a train ride then pop back only to be run over.

Or yet everybody who unsaps and goes back home only to find out their loved one married somebody else in those 5 years and had a bunch of new kids.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-05-09 at 02:04 AM.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show

Those people need places to sleep in, clean water, bathrooms, jobs, you name it.

Not to mention how to deal with bank accounts and property rights and whatnot. Certainly more than one person was pretty happy with the Snap letting them inherit a bunch of stuff, and may not be very cooperative with returning it or may've just spent it already.

And last but not least, really sucks if you were plane passenger #176 and get to unsnap in the middle of the air. Or the people taking a boat ride that get to unsnap in the middle of the ocean. Or all the people who were in the middle of the street or taking a train ride then pop back only to be run over.

Or yet everybody who unsaps and goes back home only to find out their loved one married somebody else in those 5 years and had a bunch of new kids.
    Yeah, it's really not even a smart-aleck remark. The damage, social unrest, and chaos would be freaking enormous.

Spoiler: Why society would be at risk of falling apart
    Show
    The people getting killed wouldn't even be the biggest deal – that would be only 1% of the population or so. But damn near 100% of the population who hadn't been snapped would now be holding property, money, jobs, relationships, social positions, etc, that their original owners now want back. Civil wars have started over less.

Realistically, you'd expect it to dominate the social landscape for the next generation or so – whether you were one of the 'snapped' or 'unsnapped' would be a huge deal. I really doubt Marvel's interested in setting up an alternate future based off this one event, though, so more likely they'll just make a few cursory references to it and then pretend it didn't happen going forward.
    Last edited by Saph; 2019-05-09 at 02:46 AM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

It could be a very interesting story, just not one that would really make for a good movie. It would work as a TV show though.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Yeah, it's really not even a smart-aleck remark. The damage, social unrest, and chaos would be freaking enormous.

Spoiler: Why society would be at risk of falling apart
    Show
    The people getting killed wouldn't even be the biggest deal – that would be only 1% of the population or so. But damn near 100% of the population who hadn't been snapped would now be holding property, money, jobs, relationships, social positions, etc, that their original owners now want back. Civil wars have started over less.

Realistically, you'd expect it to dominate the social landscape for the next generation or so – whether you were one of the 'snapped' or 'unsnapped' would be a huge deal. I really doubt Marvel's interested in setting up an alternate future based off this one event, though, so more likely they'll just make a few cursory references to it and then pretend it didn't happen going forward.
    Also realistically speaking
    Spoiler: Society should have already started falling apart
    Show

Civil wars would've already broken over right after the Snap. We're talking about half of every chain of command suddenly going poof, things would be pretty chaotic and then the survivors would be screaming for an explanation and I doubt that even the avengers speaking in public "an alien with a magic glove did it, we already killed him but can't undo this" would calm things down. Blames would be thrown around and probably some government would accuse another of unleashing some super weapon resulting in not-so-civil wars plus new cults popping all over the place.

Then also millions of children that suddenly have no parents to take care of them, filling in all the important job vacancies, people fighting over who owns what was left from the people who got snapped, remaking every society to work with only as half as many people as before.

So I seriously doubt 5 years would've been enough for things to settle down as much as we see them at the start of Endgame when Tony and Thor are shown to have just been lazing around and caps hung over his shield and Banner had a lot of meditation classes or something when they should've had their hands full trying to bring back any semblance of order.

Heck, Thor at least would have people lining up at his doorstep worshiping him as the one who slayed Thanos the snapper and avenged the billions killed.

Instead all we see are some abandoned houses, a nice memorial and some meetings like Alcoholics Anonymous.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-05-09 at 03:12 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

If you take out the Superhero aspect of Infinity War and Endgame, you're left with a pretty interesting Twilight Zone - or any weird speculative fiction series in that vein - episode from the perspective of a normal person. It's like something out of a Vonnegut novel.

I would be interested to see an economic breakdown of the Infinity War/Endgame timeline, ya'know, like, on a Youtube channel where overthinking this stuff is their bread and butter.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-05-09 at 03:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

"One day half the population of the world went missing."

Plenty of good stories could be written just around that.

"Then five years later they return".

For a series of sequels.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    If you take out the Superhero aspect of Infinity War and Endgame, you're left with a pretty interesting Twilight Zone - or any weird speculative fiction series in that vein - episode from the perspective of a normal person. It's like something out of a Vonnegut novel.

I would be interested to see an economic breakdown of the Infinity War/Endgame timeline, ya'know, like, on a Youtube channel where overthinking this stuff is their bread and butter.
    Here you go:
    https://youtu.be/fcpt5IlcVN4
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Also realistically speaking
    Spoiler: Society should have already started falling apart
    Show

Civil wars would've already broken over right after the Snap. We're talking about half of every chain of command suddenly going poof, things would be pretty chaotic and then the survivors would be screaming for an explanation and I doubt that even the avengers speaking in public "an alien with a magic glove did it, we already killed him but can't undo this" would calm things down. Blames would be thrown around and probably some government would accuse another of unleashing some super weapon resulting in not-so-civil wars plus new cults popping all over the place.

Then also millions of children that suddenly have no parents to take care of them, filling in all the important job vacancies, people fighting over who owns what was left from the people who got snapped, remaking every society to work with only as half as many people as before.

So I seriously doubt 5 years would've been enough for things to settle down as much as we see them at the start of Endgame when Tony and Thor are shown to have just been lazing around and caps hung over his shield and Banner had a lot of meditation classes or something when they should've had their hands full trying to bring back any semblance of order.

Heck, Thor at least would have people lining up at his doorstep worshiping him as the one who slayed Thanos the snapper and avenged the billions killed.

Instead all we see are some abandoned houses, a nice memorial and some meetings like Alcoholics Anonymous.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Worth noting that with 50% casualties there is a statistical possiblity that some skill bases - or perhaps some regions - could have been wiped out entirely or severely depleted. By the same token, 50% deforestation occurred, 50% of oll oxygen producers (i.e. aquatic algae) were wiped out (not sure about the ramifications of that, but it's possible that actually breathing after the Snapture may have been difficult), endangered species could have been wiped out entirely (the lower the number, the more chances of a wipe of all of one gender - this could happen to any species, endangered or not, but larger sample sizes make it less likely). I shudder to think of the cataclysmic result elsewhere in reality, as the the larger the sample size, the probability of these scenarios happening to some planet somewhere approaches 1.

Endgame didn't really dwell (nor, frankly should have it even attempted) on the full ramifications of the Snapture; which is a well, as it would not have made for fun watching.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-05-09 at 04:34 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

"One day half the population of the world went missing."

Plenty of good stories could be written just around that.

"Then five years later they return".

For a series of sequels.
    Actually, phrased like that, it reminds me of that mid-2000's SF show The 4400.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Worth noting that with 50% casualties there is a statistical possiblity that some skill bases - or perhaps some regions - could have been wiped out entirely or severely depleted. By the same token, 50% deforestation occurred, 50% of oll oxygen producers (i.e. aquatic algae) were wiped out (not sure about the ramifications of that, but it's possible that actually breathing after the Snapture may have been difficult), endangered species could have been wiped out entirely (the lower the number, the more chances of a wipe of all of one gender - this could happen to any species, endangered or not, but larger sample sizes make it less likely). I shudder to think of the cataclysmic result elsewhere in reality, as the the larger the sample size, the probability of these scenarios happening to some planet somewhere approaches 1.

Endgame didn't really dwell (nor, frankly should have it even attempted) on the full ramifications of the Snapture; which is a well, as it would not have made for fun watching.
    Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    Aquatic algae would recover in a fairly short time as it grows and multiplies quickly. It would have returned to it's former numbers long before oxygen levels would be badly impacted. Remember half the things using oxygen are gone as well.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Heh maybe for you, but I would definitely watch such a series exploring the full ramifications with pretty great interest.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    Aquatic algae would recover in a fairly short time as it grows and multiplies quickly. It would have returned to it's former numbers long before oxygen levels would be badly impacted. Remember half the things using oxygen are gone as well.
    A good point
    Spoiler
    Show

Faster reproducing beings would have a field day filling the sudden void. Expect lots of bugs and rats and such vermin in particular.

But slower reproducing beings would be left in a pretty tough spot.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like aside from Thanos claim the evidence of the snap affecting 'lower' lifeforms is pretty weak. There don't seem to be any dead trees or other plants, birds falling from the sky etc. I know he doesn't specify sapient life but it looks a lot like he meant that.

But yes, both the snap and unsnap make for loads of interesting questions that would arise but are not good material for a movie to focus on.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I feel like aside from Thanos claim the evidence of the snap affecting 'lower' lifeforms is pretty weak. There don't seem to be any dead trees or other plants, birds falling from the sky etc. I know he doesn't specify sapient life but it looks a lot like he meant that.

But yes, both the snap and unsnap make for loads of interesting questions that would arise but are not good material for a movie to focus on.
    Spoiler
    Show

The film was very specific that the Snap affected " All Lifeforms " They demonstrated that the Snap was undone first by showing the birds that were supposed to be in the enclosure returning. They were previously killed in " The Snap "

I want to state that my biggest problem with the movie, is a rather silly one. And that is.

Why the hell is Snapping so important. The entire point of it being a Snap in the comics was because it was a trivial thing to do. He didn't need to Snap to do anything, he could just think, or point, or Jojo pose. But snapping became an actual plot point and It's just the goofiest thing ever with all of these people trying to snap or stop someone from snapping like we're in a 70s greaser movie.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Why would they do anything other than be dusted the way we saw happen to characters? A dusted bird doesn't fall as a dead body from the sky, it's gone. A dusted tree isn't a dead tree trunk to show on screen, it's gone.

Also:
    Spoiler: Endgame spoiler
    Show

When Professor Hulk undoes the Snap in Endgame, a tree is shown winking back into existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

28. - Top - End - #568
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The film was very specific that the Snap affected " All Lifeforms " They demonstrated that the Snap was undone first by showing the birds that were supposed to be in the enclosure returning. They were previously killed in " The Snap "

I want to state that my biggest problem with the movie, is a rather silly one. And that is.

Why the hell is Snapping so important. The entire point of it being a Snap in the comics was because it was a trivial thing to do. He didn't need to Snap to do anything, he could just think, or point, or Jojo pose. But snapping became an actual plot point and It's just the goofiest thing ever with all of these people trying to snap or stop someone from snapping like we're in a 70s greaser movie.
    I feel like he probably could just think it, even now, but given the intense level of power in the glove, I feel like the finger snapping being "necessary" is an unintended side effect of Thanos' mentality and the sheer pressure of it all. It turns out using all the Infinity Stones at once is very very difficult, even with the ultra glove designed to be used for this exact purpose, and snapping his fingers was a nice way to focus all that energy into one single impact that would ensure it all goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Why would they do anything other than be dusted the way we saw happen to characters? A dusted bird doesn't fall as a dead body from the sky, it's gone. A dusted tree isn't a dead tree trunk to show on screen, it's gone.

Also:
    Show

When Professor Hulk undoes the Snap in Endgame, a tree is shown winking back into existence.
    God I wish I had noticed that. That would have been rad.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I feel like he probably could just think it, even now, but given the intense level of power in the glove, I feel like the finger snapping being "necessary" is an unintended side effect of Thanos' mentality and the sheer pressure of it all. It turns out using all the Infinity Stones at once is very very difficult, even with the ultra glove designed to be used for this exact purpose, and snapping his fingers was a nice way to focus all that energy into one single impact that would ensure it all goes off.
    The original glove required him to close his fist to do anything with the Stones. So some sort of physical movement was clearly necessary. Why he could snap (which is easier than closing his fist) I don't know, maybe just some more inconsistency.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post

Also:
    Show

Hm.. point taken, kind of. Clearly my question about dead stuff being around was dumb.
    But I also don't think we saw any of the plants dusting when Thanos snapped, and there were plenty of plants around.

I recall the birds gomipile mentions and I kind of remember thinking that they were meant as 'proof' it worked but two random birds just being there, not even undusting or something felt weak, so I dismissed it.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental