New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield, and Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Every new pokemon game there's a tiny minority going "pokémon is now ruined forever because of this and that!", yet the series kept going strong.
    Oh so your problem is with people complaining at all. people only get to speak their mind as long as they agree with you huh? figures.

people have a right to complain, not all complaints are equal, success isn't an objective measurement, quantity is not quality nor does quality mean quantity, and painting all complaints with the same brush so you can just sweep it all under the rug for your own view of it is just being unreasonable, especially for some lie that pokemon is some pristine franchise with no flaws that one should never complain about.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    that was also before we were old enough to realize it was a problem.
    Except that Pokemon is not, despite what people might think, designed for the 20-30 year olds who are riding the nostalgia train. It's an all-ages game primarily aimed at children still. And kids don't care about having a Pokemon that was introduced 8 years ago that they've barely heard of, nor do most of them care about competitive formats or even know what they are, nor do they for the most part even know about transferring in Pokemon from old games. And, surprise or not, nor do most adult casual players. It would have to affect them in some way for it to be a "problem", no more than it was a problem for you in Ruby and Sapphire.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Except that Pokemon is not, despite what people might think, designed for the 20-30 year olds who are riding the nostalgia train. It's an all-ages game primarily aimed at children still. And kids don't care about having a Pokemon that was introduced 8 years ago that they've barely heard of, nor do most of them care about competitive formats or even know what they are, nor do they for the most part even know about transferring in Pokemon from old games. And, surprise or not, nor do most adult casual players. It would have to affect them in some way for it to be a "problem", no more than it was a problem for you in Ruby and Sapphire.
    ah the good ol "shut up and think of the children." response coupled with "yeah but most people X". to double shame me into being quiet. funny how your so quick to lean on those, to spell out a narrative that its hopeless for me, to imply that I shouldn't even try, to make me be quiet so that you don't have to listen to a different opinion.

its a script to make you seem superior just because of an imagined in group that just so happens to agree with you. that your somehow a "better" fan simply because you don't complain, are quiet and don't care about such changes, and that a vocal minority is always bad by implication of being vocal. I'm gonna sum everything you said to me in one simple sentence:
    "I'm not mad, why you can't stop being mad, your feelings are invalid!"

thats all your saying, but too bad, I'm not playing that game. if your so casual, and care so little about this, why do care enough to not want me to complain hm? sounds like you care more than you think, if you keep wanting me to be quiet and I'm not giving that to you.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

If your so casual, and care so little about this, why do care enough to not want me to complain hm?
    Because your aggression is getting annoying.

I mean, you can be mad, but arguing with anyone who claims not to be is kinda...

Actually, I've had past experiences where people equate "that thing you did is ___" with "you are ___" so I'm not going to finish the sentence.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-07-02 at 12:01 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

ah the good ol "shut up and think of the children." response coupled with "yeah but most people X". to double shame me into being quiet.
    Not what I was saying. But quite quick to jump on the victim card, aren't you?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Not what I was saying. But quite quick to jump on the victim card, aren't you?
    ah, now your constructing a narrative where you try to make me seem unreasonable and "playing a victim card" so you can look reasonable in comparison. I'm not a victim at all, I'm someone stating my opinion and getting in response Gamefreak defenders thinking they're apart of the silent majority when really if they're speaking out and caring enough to speak for Game Freak in their stead that they're aren't apart of it at all.

No one asked you to do Game Freaks job of trying to calm me down or win me over, so stop acting as if it is.

@ enderlord: okay, thats an honest reply that I can respect, I'll be gone.

V- and look, they just had to get the last word on the subject after I said that I'll be gone. Classy guys. Classy. by all means, keep replying and proving your hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-07-02 at 01:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

ah, now your constructing a narrative
    No one asked you to do Game Freaks job
    cool cool cool

It's extremely embarrassing being a Pokemon fan right now. I've not seen this amount of entitlement over a game feature in quite some time. I'm all for calling a company out if they're doing something wrong, but the vitriol being spit towards people who don't care about it or are nonplussed by the decision is pretty galling. Especially given it's a lot of screaming and foaming at the mouth in places that Gamefreak will never look, just to find an echochamber for rage over something that is, at the end of the day, extremely minor and probably will be forgotten in a few months after release.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

I'm honestly more worried that all the fights against Gym Leaders take place in a frankly boring arena. Of course Pokemon have reused really boring backgrounds for combat but come on! We're on new hardware!! Make them a little more engaging rather than a blue area with fans in the stands. I get they did that because of the gimmick. That's...fine. It's fine. It's fine. But I care more about that and them sticking to Sun/Moons aesthetic over X/Y's which I vastly preferred.

People also complaining about the overworld travel. I never played Pokemon to see this lush, cinematic world. The overland is seen less than the in game combat screen. Which only rankles me more that so far...they're really kinda dull.

People wanted Pokemon of the Wild. That was never going to happen. People didn't get Pokemon of the Wild. Because it was never going to happen. They're now furious they didn't get Pokemon of the Wild. Which...ya know. The tears of angry Pokemon fans taste just as sweet as anything else.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

I know nobody cares about my Showdown matches any more, but the luck I had in this Almost Any Ability match was hilariously good.

EDIT: Hit "Switch sides" for my perspective.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-07-03 at 07:57 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

I am excited for them to try something new. If it doesn't work out, so be it. I don't personally get what the issue is with all of this really, but clearly it doesn't hit at me specifically so that's okay. I will have fun playing this game, and the people who don't like it don't have to play it and that's okay. The best decision they can make, to be honest.

Meanwhile I'm still having trouble which new game I'm most interested in getting. Design-wise I think the Sword legendary is kinda lazy, so I'm leaning towards Shield, but I'm not really sure. There's not often too much of a difference between the games and I usually end up with both anyways.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Mmm. After going back, what, seven pages to see what everyone was argueing about...

Yeah. Gotta say, this isn't encouraging me to go an buy a Switch specifically for Pokémon (since literally nothing else that I've ever seen on the Switch had remotely interested me, plus it's rather large for something I want to be easily portable as a portable console).

So, look like this time around, I'll be definitely waiting for release, seeing what's in the dex. Given that if there are a few of the new Pokémon that I liked as in Gen VII and if The Usual Suspects comprise a chunk of the dex (Wingull, I notice (*sigh*) and presumably geodude and zubat and whatnot - and a bias towards older gens, not newer ones... There is a chance I might simply not bother at all.

Considering that, since Gen III and increasingly onwards, a massive amount of killing-time-mindlessly stuff I use Pokémon for has centred around breeding up a team for the next game (same or later gen); going back to scratch to do it all again...? Hmm. Not convinced. (Maybe if you can bring Pokémon that are in the game in from Bank, perhaps...?)

First Pokémon game to go on the "see what the reception is" sadly along with almost every other company. Certainly feeling the least hype of any new mainline release thus far, and I was a bit lukewarm on Sun/Moon...

On the other hand, I suppose that not having to care about filling the Dex each gen (well, supplementing my living Dex) with regard to those tediously naff artificial scarcity crap by trying to encourge me to go into a physical store for a download code is a bonus... Even if it does mean that Gen IV is likely to be the last Gen I actually complete the Dex on (having managed it in Gen 4 and 5 and all bar the shouting in 6; but no way was I paying Ł4 bus fare to go into town to Game (which I won't support, since they entirely stopped sticking ANYTHING I wanted to play years ago) for the last round of legendaries. Which means there is never again going to be an urgent rush to get a game on release in case I miss out on any offers or whatever; I'll just keep up my bank subscription until I've actually finished the several games I've got (hell, not even opened Omega Ruby yet...) in Gen IV through VII at leisure.

So I suppose, in a fair number of respects, just shrugging and letting it pass me by won't do any harm - bit of a shame, though, considering I would have looked forward a lot to a UK-region.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-07-04 at 10:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I know nobody cares about my Showdown matches any more, but the luck I had in this Almost Any Ability match was hilariously good.

EDIT: Hit "Switch sides" for my perspective.
    I care about your battles.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-07-04 at 11:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

I would like to apologize for earlier aggression, I shouldn't have been so vitriolic. I can express my opinion without being insulting, and I should do that.

now for some bad news:
    Gamefreak admits that pokemon isn't as much a priority for them
    the "Game Freak isn't putting their full effort" theory is no longer a theory. its a fact, so much so they're prioritizing side games over the main one. their main team is working on Town and their b team is working on Pokemon.

I stand by my position that Game Freak could done it better, and that this evidence unfortunately, corroborates that.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

This is your intermittent reminder that frogs, axolotls, catfish, and especially slugs are all various levels of slimy, and the ones I linked are 4x weak to Grass and live in muddy, rainy places.

Goomy also lives in muddy, rainy places... but it has Sap Sipper. Its slimy appearance is bait.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-07-05 at 05:06 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I would like to apologize for earlier aggression, I shouldn't have been so vitriolic. I can express my opinion without being insulting, and I should do that.

now for some bad news:
    Gamefreak admits that pokemon isn't as much a priority for them
    the "Game Freak isn't putting their full effort" theory is no longer a theory. its a fact, so much so they're prioritizing side games over the main one. their main team is working on Town and their b team is working on Pokemon.

I stand by my position that Game Freak could done it better, and that this evidence unfortunately, corroborates that.
    Your aggression was understandable and I'm not angry you for expressing how you feel. Apology accepted.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

After seeing that video... I can understand Game Freak decision. I will no longer condemn them for wanting to make money and taking the fanbase for granted.

We can only NOT buy the game then. I can deal with that. A bit of a shame but I was disappointed at Sword and Moon anyway, even with some Pokemon I liked.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I wish there were more one-hit KO moves and should buff their accuracy from 30% to 50%.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    After seeing that video... I can understand Game Freak decision. I will no longer condemn them for wanting to make money and taking the fanbase for granted.

We can only NOT buy the game then. I can deal with that. A bit of a shame but I was disappointed at Sword and Moon anyway, even with some Pokemon I liked.
    Its worse for me, I don't I think I can buy any pokemon game coming up, sadly. getting something like Pokemon Masters from DeNA, no matter how interesting it looks, would convince Game Freak that the future of pokemon is in mobile phone gaming even more. I don't know how long before everyone else buys them both anyways and ensures it, thus making sure I'll have to go along with it, but....for now, not getting any of them. might change later, but now? canceling my Sword order for sure.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

*begins mental preparations for having to place Pokémon in the same place as Transformers, Star Wars, Command & Conquer, DungeonKeeper, comic books and all too many other things that have just... Stopped being a thing for one reason or another*

*sigh*

Still... They can't make it miss as badly Fallout '76 or Anthem, right...?

Right?

Right?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-07-05 at 05:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Still... They can't make it miss as badly Fallout '76 or Anthem, right...?

Right?

Right?
    It is not as bad as Fallout 76. My friend who works in Bethesda Quality Assurance seriously considered suicide as a viable release from having to work on 76. It was bad.

In Sword and Shield, there is some evidence that some people cared, even if they didn't have the manpower or experience to make it the best it can be.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Game Freak dares to work in something that isn't pokémon? How dare they?

What's next? Do they also pause to eat and sleep instead of working in pokémon 24/7? Maybe spend time with their family? Unforgivable!

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    It is not as bad as Fallout 76. My friend who works in Bethesda Quality Assurance seriously considered suicide as a viable release from having to work on 76. It was bad.
    The horror story behind Anthem. "Yeah, let's keep delaying for 7 years and try to transfer lots of data between multiple engines, what could possibly go wrong?" Turns out that a lot of stuff could go wrong with such a policy, whereas Pkémon Sword and Shield keeping to deadlines and carefully choosing what to transfer instead of just trying to cram lots of stuff willy-nilly.

In Sword and Shield, there is some evidence that some people cared, even if they didn't have the manpower or experience to make it the best it can be.
    Indeed, just because they're team 2 from Game Freak doesn't mean they're chopped liver.

Plus we already saw an actual playable demo from Pokémon Sword and Shield, whereas crap like Anthem before release just had a pre-rendered trailer with about zero stuff from it making it into the actual playable game.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-07-05 at 08:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed. FO76 is a whole different level of bad. SaS will be still be fun to people who don't care for pokedex completion, probably, I have no doubt about that, the reason I canceled my order and disagree with it is because I disagree with the direction in general.

the reason I oppose FO76, is because I have already played MMOs, already know how they work, and never was remotely interested in it then found out from streamers it was even worse than any MMO I ever played, with no npcs, no skill trees and barely anything to it other than being a multi-player shooter with no story. and their fix for it this year was to add in the npcs should've been in there in the first place then add a battle royale mode. so one step forward, two steps back. its pretty much a garbage fire that ignores everything that made that makes Fallout good.

I'd say Game Freak is probably currently at Fallout 4 levels of downgrade. there is something there, and it hasn't gone to garbage yet, but its not the best.

we'll know Pokemon has gotten that bad, when it announces......that the next game will have....what would be the Game Freak version of 76....
    it would have to be something that screws up even the casual players enjoyment. given that definition seems to be "enjoy the story, defeat Gym leaders, 1.5 evil teams and the champion with whatever mons you decide to pick up along the way.".....I'd say that what would screw up that is to only have the original 150 pokemon free to catch, then microtransactions for any generations beyond it, like pay a dollar to be able to catch an individual pokemon and they're just in the game but you can't catch them unless you like, pay to do it. because the Gen 1 pokemon are the ones that are the most famous, but they know that some later gen pokemon would be popular enough to get people playing for them, but no one would accept paying for pikachu. that or something like it, would be the pokemon 76: microtransactions to get the chance to catch one species of pokemon.

so when they start doing THAT, thats when we know.

Edit: or they turn pokemon into a gacha-like thing. thats basically the japanese version of lootboxes anyways, so that'd be a good indicator of pokemon 76.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-07-05 at 08:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Game Freak dares to work in something that isn't pokémon? How dare they?
    If they need to take a break from Pokémon, they need to take a break from Pokémon. I don't have a problem with that. Rest up, do something else, take their time. Fine. I'm preternaturally patient; I can wait.

But half-arsing the first release of a new generation mainline game because they apparently don't REALLY want to do Pokémon, but they also still want the money they hope they can make by half-arsing it?

That is far too much "triple AAAAAAAAAAAAAA" mentality for me to have any much sympathy for.

I'd be far more tolerant if they spent their Pokémon-related efforts on another interim game (like Let's Go or something), which would likely plenty keep the ticking over while they have a break (and would likely be a bit more of a break on top).

This?

Smacks FAR too much of the same attitude that has made the gaming industry the excremental pile of garbage it currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12
    What's next? Do they also pause to eat and sleep instead of working in pokémon 24/7? Maybe spend time with their family? Unforgivable!
    For the record, at the moment, I'd rather be giving Paradox than more or less anyone else my pennies at the moment, for all their more recent missteps and bugs and such, because at least I know that THEY don't ruthless over-work their employees. A lot of that crap that's come to light about the so-called "triple AAAAAAAAAAAAAA" companies would be flat-out illegal in the UK.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Wait... Is Masuda on Team 1, or Team 2 here? There's a fairly believable fiction here where Team 1 is trying to take credit for Team 2's work on Sword and Shield, and I'm having trouble not putting on a tinfoil hat and jumping down a rabbit hole.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Y'know, what if we just waited longer for Pokemon games? I think I'd be willing to be patient if we got a really good Pokemon game every, like, 3 years instead of nearly as many Pokemon games that we get right now. That's mostly what I've learned.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Y'know, what if we just waited longer for Pokemon games? I think I'd be willing to be patient if we got a really good Pokemon game every, like, 3 years instead of nearly as many Pokemon games that we get right now. That's mostly what I've learned.
    From what I've heard people are willing to do that, its the constant media treadmill of TCG, anime and merch that won't allow it. We're going to be getting a constant stream subpar games for the foreseeable future, and all signs point to them being profitable.

the only thing I see stopping this is the new mobile casual age of gaming somehow no longer being there or profitable. and I have no idea what would destroy mobile gaming to do it. given how mobile gaming is optimized for a busy constantly working society like ours, it would have to be a restructuring in how jobs are done to make people play a mobile game so much that they become bored of it, or for pokemon to stop being profitable on this large scale that it has to appeal to smaller hardcore audience that desires better gameplay.

neither of which I see happening soon. like its possible that the mobile gaming market might draw in enough new fans who look all this and question why they can't get better games than this, or mobile gaming could become so ubiquitous and so optimized that people get jaded and catch on to the mobile gamings pattern which all media eventually fall victim to, that they go seeking for a fresher more deep experience, but thats no guarantee.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Firbolg in the Playground

From what I've heard people are willing to do that, its the constant media treadmill of TCG, anime and merch that won't allow it. We're going to be getting a constant stream subpar games for the foreseeable future, and all signs point to them being profitable.

the only thing I see stopping this is the new mobile casual age of gaming somehow no longer being there or profitable. and I have no idea what would destroy mobile gaming to do it. given how mobile gaming is optimized for a busy constantly working society like ours, it would have to be a restructuring in how jobs are done to make people play a mobile game so much that they become bored of it, or for pokemon to stop being profitable on this large scale that it has to appeal to smaller hardcore audience that desires better gameplay.

neither of which I see happening soon. like its possible that the mobile gaming market might draw in enough new fans who look all this and question why they can't get better games than this, or mobile gaming could become so ubiquitous and so optimized that people get jaded and catch on to the mobile gamings pattern which all media eventually fall victim to, that they go seeking for a fresher more deep experience, but thats no guarantee.
    If mobile and console somehow become the same device then both styles of game design become feasible.

Good luck with that though.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

There's definitely been mutterings of legal restrictions on the subset of microtransactions that could be considered gambling – if that actually happens in a given area it could cut profits, potentially by enough to push dev resources away from that sort of game.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    There's definitely been mutterings of legal restrictions on the subset of microtransactions that could be considered gambling – if that actually happens in a given area it could cut profits, potentially by enough to push dev resources away from that sort of game.
    oh yeah that, forgot that was a thing for some reason.

problem is, depending on how they do it, would it be considered gambling enough to count? because say if they made you pay real money for the pokeballs. is that gambling because your only offering a chance to catch one, or is it okay because pokemon has always been about the chance to catch them? because the lootbox gambling thing is all about how you get randomized rewards from a chest, but pokemon is different in that the pokemon you encounter is always randomized to an extent but the pokeballs you use are not, and you have a choice of whether to throw a ball for a pokemon or not. seems a little ambiguous at best.

I mean the gambling part being taken out may be enough to cut profits by itself, but you don't need gambling for some micros to work. Hopefully it'll help.

@unseenmage:
    yeah, the biggest problem or question I'd have with that is: how to make sure controls are complex enough? a game that is just touch to make things happen is too simple, you got to have controls that give you a feeling of movement and control over characters, thats what separates console game and mobile gaming the most for me, the controls, because the part about mobile gaming is its really simplified controls that require only one finger or so. and those complex controls have to work with also being a phone and other things for people.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

@unseenmage:
    yeah, the biggest problem or question I'd have with that is: how to make sure controls are complex enough? a game that is just touch to make things happen is too simple, you got to have controls that give you a feeling of movement and control over characters, thats what separates console game and mobile gaming the most for me, the controls, because the part about mobile gaming is its really simplified controls that require only one finger or so. and those complex controls have to work with also being a phone and other things for people.
    Menu-based RPGs like mainline Pokemon have never really had complex controls, though. Move, select, cancel, pause, and nothing has precise timing requirements. That fits easily on a touch interface. I've emulated and beat MMBN2 on my phone (controller overlay on the screen); that's real-time and action-y, and uses more of the buttons than Pokémon does.

There are games that would have problems with a phone port without a significant redesign, but Pokémon is not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew