New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield, and Spoilers

I see a Rhydon and a Quagsire. Hoping they're not exclusive to different versions.

Yes, my priorities are schewed.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I being looping that video in loop for way longer that I wanna admit...

Im excited like a little kid! Like the Kaiju Battle mode, neat looking new Pokemon, AN OPEN WORLD!

I just need to buy a Nintendo Switch now sigh... And I might not even have the room for it in my next small appartement. Might have to wait to play the game until 1 or 2 years
    Not a problem. By then we'll have Pokemon Mace and Spear too, so you can get them instead.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok silly question, have anyone ever lost to a defensive Pokemon or team before?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Easiest way to lose to stall (defensive) is to actually play the game with them. No point being bored playing a game against someone intent on not playing a game.

Just save your time and don't bother playing them.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NatureKing View Post
    Easiest way to lose to stall (defensive) is to actually play the game with them. No point being bored playing a game against someone intent on not playing a game.

Just save your time and don't bother playing them.
    Well defensive Pokemon or team doesn't really bother me that much. I kind of actually find it intrigued.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well defensive Pokemon or team doesn't really bother me that much. I kind of actually find it intrigued.
    True. Rather play 3 or 4 20 turn games than spend half an hour playing a hundred or more turn stall game.

Just unfun, after all these years.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

True. Rather play 3 or 4 20 turn games than spend half an hour playing a hundred or more turn stall game.

Just unfun, after all these years.
    I understand what you're saying and I can see where your coming from but if being defensive is the only strategy then I'm all for it. I don't mind long battles. And you can counter defensive Pokemon with offensive Pokemon by boosting their attacks and special attacks.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Ok silly question, have anyone ever lost to a defensive Pokemon or team before?
    Only all the time. Stalling/walling is if anything slightly too powerful for my taste. For a good team it's almost mandatory to have at least one staller. The worst part is if both of you run out of counters and it just becomes wall v wall PP stalling. It looks a bit like this:
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-897164012
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-06-05 at 04:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Only all the time. Stalling/walling is if anything slightly too powerful for my taste. For a good team, it's almost mandatory to have at least one smaller. The worst part is if both of you run out of counters and it just becomes wall v wall PP stalling. It looks a bit like this:
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-897164012
    Wow, that's got to be the longest battle in Pokemon history.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Since it seems like every gym leader will be using Dynamax seems like we get to unlock it pretty soon in the game.

But then what's stopping you from unleashing it in 90% of the regular trainers out there? Or does every random bugcatcher can make their Weedle dynamax too?

I predict Dynamax will only be useable in certain areas, fluffwise you'll need to have enough open space to make your pokemon grow like those giant stadiums and raid areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Since it seems like every gym leader will be using Dynamax seems like we get to unlock it pretty soon in the game.

But then what's stopping you from unleashing it in 90% of the regular trainers out there? Or does every random bugcatcher can make their Weedle dynamax too?

I predict Dynamax will only be useable in certain areas, fluffwise you'll need to have enough open space to make your pokemon grow like those giant stadiums and raid areas.
    You can use a Z-Move or Mega (or both!) on random wilds and trainers, too. I don't think those fights are supposed to be difficult.

I don't really like how the raid scene is set up to look like it shrinks the trainers, instead of being against a Dynamax mon.

All in all, Dynamax seems like mostly a way to get something similar to Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions but with much much less development/visual-effects/modelling/design work. Which is reasonable! But it's not adding much that's new.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2019-06-05 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    You can use a Z-Move or Mega (or both!) on random wilds and trainers, too. I don't think those fights are supposed to be difficult.

I don't really like how the raid scene is set up to look like it shrinks the trainers, instead of being against a Dynamax mon.

All in all, Dynamax seems like mostly a way to get something similar to Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions but with much much less development/visual-effects/modelling/design work. Which is reasonable! But it's not adding much that's new.
    But thing is z-moves and mega evolutions could be acquired only relatively late game, while Dynamax seems like it will be made available before you even beat your first gym leader.

So instead of needing to grind a lot of levels and do a large chunk of the main storyline before you can use it, Dyanamax should be available for most of the game.

Although agreed in being somewhat lazier design work since they just really need to change model scale.

Still it's prettynice that it works with any pokemon instead of a select few so you can lay down the hurt with anybody.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-06-05 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I thought Dynamax was a new mythical Pokemon.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

I understand what you're saying and I can see where your coming from but if being defensive is the only strategy then I'm all for it. I don't mind long battles. And you can counter defensive Pokemon with offensive Pokemon by boosting their attacks and special attacks.
    It really isn't. Stall is pure cancer. Being defensive is not the only strategy, and it requires skill, but it is unfun. The people who like Stall, are the ones who benefit from it. People want to play defensive, and take Bulky Offense, sure. But having a team of Alomomola, Toxapex, Skarmory, Tangrowth, etc.

You've said yourself how bad a move Roost is, and. Ow you have a team that takes advantage of, and a half dozen other similar mechanics.

Hyper Offense, Balanced and Bulky Offense, sure. I'll game you, win or lose, it doesn't matter. Playing Stall, sure, then just take the win, as that is what you care about most in it. I'll just drop.

On Gen 8, yet another round of 'Red version mascots are Best', at least design wise, IMHO. Purely personal preference of course, but the designs of Red have purely outstripped those of Blue versions.

Charizard
    Hooh
    Groudon
    Pearl
    Reshiram (loosely, it has Red colours)
    Yveltal
    Solgaleo
    Zamazenta

Regarding Dynamax, and discrepancy BETWEEN zMoves and Mega, that may be intentional in how early you get it. I think you are under playing how hard it was to get ZMoves. They were available from after the first totem.

And Mega Evolution was a mismanagement IMHO in the sense of normal pokemon storyline play, as good as it was for the competitive scene. It could only have been available mid-late game as it effects fully evolved mon. Either a load should have been created for early game evolutions and made available right then, or Mega Evolution should have allowed the base mon to evolve to its FE evolution.

There is nothing to stop you Evolving in Trainer Battles or Wild Encounters. I just hope that the animation does not take as long. Half the time, the reason I didn't Mega or Z Move was how long it took.

Still no Corgi Pokémon, but damn, Wooloo, you're like fiiiinneee. Corviknight, hopefully not the start of another Bird Spam, and hopefully not a Skarmory Mk2. Not a major fan of the grass types scattered about. Look reasonably defensive, and with Regenerator, just looks like a boring pivot playstyle that has to go up against Tangrowth for effectiveness.

Dreadnaw looks fantastic. Hopefully, hopefully, it's good enough to warrant some offensive grass coverage, but then that means more Bulu/Kartana spam. Have a feeling he'll be the turtonator.

Rock/Water isn't very good, unless it's got Aqua Jet/Accelerock. Strong Jaw suggests that there might be a water or rock biting move. If water, then Sharpedo/Gyarados might get it, which could be pretty dangerous.

Give me Stage 2 and Fully Evolved starters now please!
    Last edited by NatureKing; 2019-06-06 at 02:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Sword/Shield looks good from what little I've seen of the news. I ordered Sword because man...both legendary Pokemon look kinda meh. The raid battles sound pretty neat, looks like they're taking a page out of GO's book. Might finally give me a reason to get their online service.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why does one of the new legendary have a sword in his mouth?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Why does one of the new legendary have a sword in his mouth?
    Because that's the theme. That's all that needs to be said. I'm sure there's an excuse in game.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I have a feeling that the two legendaries will fused together into the ultimate Pokemon Knight.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have a feeling that the two legendaries will fused together into the ultimate Pokemon Knight.
    ...With one of the dogs riding the other one? Isn't this supposed to be appropriate for kids?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    ...With one of the dogs riding the other one? Isn't this supposed to be appropriate for kids?
    No one is riding the other. It's not appropriate for kids. I don't know where on earth you get that idea. Anyway, the fused Legendaries will be a biped Pokemon with a sword and sword and armor just like a knight.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

No one is riding the other. It's not appropriate for kids. I don't know where on earth you get that idea. Anyway, the fused Legendaries will be a biped Pokemon with a sword and sword and armor just like a knight.
    I mean, I was thinking one of them was like...

More like this than that. With them standing on top of each other like giant goofy puppies.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    I mean, I was thinking one of them was like...

More like this than that. With them standing on top of each other like giant goofy puppies.
    Oh ok. I don't think so. It more like a fusion version of a human.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Because that's the theme. That's all that needs to be said. I'm sure there's an excuse in game.
    Or they're making a reference to Repede from Tales of Vesperia. or that one Dark Souls wolf boss. guess wolves wielding swords in mouths is cool.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, the doggies kinda look like they will combine into Optimus Prime.
    Stealth Crossover maybe?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, the doggies kinda look like they will combine into Optimus Prime.
    Stealth Crossover maybe?
    Pokeformers, Pokemon in disguise.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know if anyone cares about these anymore, but...
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

And Sword/Shield will not have a National Dex, apparently. Might skip this gen, given I have to get a console to play it.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

And Sword/Shield will not have a National Dex, apparently. Might skip this gen, given I have to get a console to play it.
    What's wrong with having a game that is consolidated within itself without having the option to bring in outside Pokemon? I rarely transfer in anything, even perennial favorites.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    What's wrong with having a game that is consolidated within itself without having the option to bring in outside Pokemon? I rarely transfer in anything, even perennial favorites.
    no national dex? oh. mmmmm. that doesn't bode well for me. I spent a lot of catching all these pokemon and was looking forward to transferring them to the newest generation, this might mean I can't do that. that......nooooooooooooooo.

I'm a collector, now I'm fearing that I can't have all my pokemon in the same game.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    no national dex? oh. mmmmm. that doesn't bode well for me. I spent a lot of catching all these pokemon and was looking forward to transferring them to the newest generation, this might mean I can't do that. that......nooooooooooooooo.

I'm a collector, now I'm fearing that I can't have all my pokemon in the same game.
    You can have them all in your Bank, however, and then not need to transfer each and every one of them to the next game when it comes out.