New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1485
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Reading down the thread again, I was struck by the phrase "abnormally small". From whence do you derive this, Keltest? Granted that MitD is smaller than an adult of his species, as cited in many places (notably Oona's stating he will grow bigger, and we take her as an expert), why say he's "abnormally" small? An adolescent human is often smaller than their parent, yet we usually don't think of them as "abnormally" small; often they would not be a full size category smaller.

I apologize if I seem to be harping on this, but it could be an important distinction. It's just that your word "abnormally" threw me for what might have been an unintentional loop.
    Abnormal compared to an adult of the species, which would be the only stat block available for 90+% of monsters. AFAIK its never been explicitly stated that the MITD is not fully grown, and while Oona is implying it, without knowledge of how his species develops we cant really be sure if she isn't just guessing based on his size, the same as we are. I don't think its necessarily an unreasonable guess, although it does run into the problems of how its still so powerful if its not mature, and I would suggest that it would undermine his character development somewhat if he was acting like a child because he was literally a child, and he grew out of it because of time passing rather than his character growing.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Abnormal compared to an adult of the species, which would be the only stat block available for 90+% of monsters. AFAIK its never been explicitly stated that the MITD is not fully grown, and while Oona is implying it, without knowledge of how his species develops we cant really be sure if she isn't just guessing based on his size, the same as we are. I don't think its necessarily an unreasonable guess, although it does run into the problems of how its still so powerful if its not mature, and I would suggest that it would undermine his character development somewhat if he was acting like a child because he was literally a child, and he grew out of it because of time passing rather than his character growing.
    He is so clearly a kid throughout everything except that time he watched Hilgya and Durkon have sex, his development isn’t just him not being as childish, it’s about him recognizing right and wrong and who is treating him poorly, he still acts like a child, but a more moral and responsible one.

3. - Top - End - #1023

AssassinGuy

Thanks, Keltest, for the explanation. So he's smaller than an adult stat block, although maybe not abnormally small for any other juvenile of that species? I don't think you were trying to convey that thought, were you?

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    He is so clearly a kid throughout everything except that time he watched Hilgya and Durkon have sex, his development isn’t just him not being as childish, it’s about him recognizing right and wrong and who is treating him poorly, he still acts like a child, but a more moral and responsible one.
    I think of him as about a 12 to 14 year old who has lived a very sheltered life, only exposed to a bad family, who is finally getting outside influences and making decisions for himself. He fits the model of an abused child who patterns himself after his abusers to some extent, and O-Chul has shown him an alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

4. - Top - End - #1024

Thanks, Keltest, for the explanation. So he's smaller than an adult stat block, although maybe not abnormally small for any other juvenile of that species? I don't think you were trying to convey that thought, were you?

I think of him as about a 12 to 14 year old who has lived a very sheltered life, only exposed to a bad family, who is finally getting outside influences and making decisions for himself. He fits the model of an abused child who patterns himself after his abusers to some extent, and O-Chul has shown him an alternative.
    I'd agree with you, that would also fit him watching Hilgya and Durkon have sex, thats the age where some kids would start to do that.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

To bring us back closer to the mind-control issue, Durkon's Command: DROP spell caused the SI elemental to have swirly eyes. I've not seen any discussion about that spell (though I admit I may have missed it). Does it have a long duration? Is it limited to simple commands? Is it divine only?

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    To bring us back closer to the mind-control issue, Durkon's Command: DROP spell caused the SI elemental to have swirly eyes. I've not seen any discussion about that spell (though I admit I may have missed it). Does it have a long duration? Is it limited to simple commands? Is it divine only?
    It's a level 1 cleric spell, so as you can imagine, no, yes, & yes.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #1027

AssassinGuy

From a point of view, Geas is just Command on steroids... not that this gets us any closer to the solution of the mind-control spell, but maybe Xykon homebrewed an arcane uber-Command spell of some kind? Is there anything Command does better than Geas from the caster's point of view, so that an epic Command spell would be preferred for some reason?

Or (I've missed a lot of the speculation too) is there some possiblity of a maximized or epic Geas? (Although I believe Geas is already as maximized as you can get, yes?)

(Fulfilling my role of tossing up speculations for better-informed forumites to shoot down...)
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

8. - Top - End - #1028

ElfWarriorGuy

From a point of view, Geas is just Command on steroids... not that this gets us any closer to the solution of the mind-control spell, but maybe Xykon homebrewed an arcane uber-Command spell of some kind? Is there anything Command does better than Geas from the caster's point of view, so that an epic Command spell would be preferred for some reason?

Or (I've missed a lot of the speculation too) is there some possiblity of a maximized or epic Geas? (Although I believe Geas is already as maximized as you can get, yes?)

(Fulfilling my role of tossing up speculations for better-informed forumites to shoot down...)
    Honestly, Suggestion is really good except for the enormous weakness in its duration which Geas fixes to varying degrees depending on how you interpret it (ok, and saving throws and a few other things). My money is on a level 6 or 8 homebrew "Xykon's extra-long duration Suggestion spell", which does, however, have the downside of wondering why he never uses it on anyone else (other than that its easier for him to kill most people than Suggest them, and not really his style, either).
    Last edited by Crusher; 2019-08-20 at 12:45 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Honestly, Suggestion is really good except for the enormous weakness in its duration which Geas fixes to varying degrees depending on how you interpret it (ok, and saving throws and a few other things). My money is on a level 6 or 8 homebrew "Xykon's extra-long duration Suggestion spell", which does, however, have the downside of wondering why he never uses it on anyone else (other than that its easier for him to kill most people than Suggest them, and not really his style, either).
    IF we assume that the comic skips showing 10-minute long casts for the sake of pacing, but that the casting still happened between panels, "why Xykon doesn't use this against the dragon" has an answer: because geas cannot reasonably be used in combat, because it takes 100 rounds. Xykon uses it on MitD because MitD is not attacking.

Not sure I quite buy it, but it is still a possibility.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

IF we assume that the comic skips showing 10-minute long casts for the sake of pacing, but that the casting still happened between panels, "why Xykon doesn't use this against the dragon" has an answer: because geas cannot reasonably be used in combat, because it takes 100 rounds. Xykon uses it on MitD because MitD is not attacking.

Not sure I quite buy it, but it is still a possibility.

Grey Wolf
    Didn't think of it like that, that's a good way of looking at it.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

The problem is that we have seen a 10-minute spell cast in the comic, and the casting time isn't skipped. The long cast time is kind of a plot point, too.

To reiterate something I wrote earlier, I think assuming that the spell is still in effect is a stretch. I don't think Rich would provide foreshadowing in an optional prequel, and I think the events of that scene make sense with Suggestion, with the spell's effect being contained by the events of SoD. That the scene is also important to this thread doesn't change that.
    feed the crows

12. - Top - End - #1032

Quote Originally Posted by Aspheric View Post
    The problem is that we have seen a 10-minute spell cast in the comic, and the casting time isn't skipped. The long cast time is kind of a plot point, too.

To reiterate something I wrote earlier, I think assuming that the spell is still in effect is a stretch. I don't think Rich would provide foreshadowing in an optional prequel, and I think the events of that scene make sense with Suggestion, with the spell's effect being contained by the events of SoD. That the scene is also important to this thread doesn't change that.
    That's because time was super important then, I promise you it would have been skipped over if V didn't have the soul splice in affect.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

That's because time was super important then, I promise you it would have been skipped over if V didn't have the soul splice in affect.
    If V had gone to their mate and said "I promise you on my parent's life that I will save my friends, then release this and cast not a single spell more until it is gone", and then followed through with it, then yeah raise deadification would have taken like 3 panels tops.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Pixie in the Playground

Just noticed something in the #1041 monster appearance- I'm guessing it's probably been noted elsewhere, but it wasn't mentioned on the notes for that comic in the FAQ listing so I thought I'd point it out?

Last panel, when he paints over the extra doors, there's no footprints/markings in the snow to those extra doors.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liokae View Post
    #1041 ... Last panel, when he paints over the extra doors, there's no footprints/markings in the snow to those extra doors.
    Yeah. We did discuss that a lot in the threads, but in the end we can't tell if it's some specific ability like levitation or flight or water walking, or just an art choice of not revealing the footprints. But you have a good point, I should mention that in the appearance post. We decided that it doesn't contradict the strange tracks mentioned in #474, because those could be left by the MitD dragging Mr. Stiffly (as seen in #484) and a coffee table. We also discussed how many appendages the MitD needs to hold the umbrella, the can of paint, and paintbrush at the same time.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-08-21 at 04:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Pixie in the Playground

Wait, So how many limbs does MitD have?

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redemedic View Post
    Manipulative limbs? At least 1. Probably two, given how common bilateral symmetry is, but everything he has done he could probably do with a particularly strong elephant's trunk.

Total limbs, including any used for locomotion? Impossible to say.

Grey Wolf

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

"Manipulative Limbs," new band name, I call it.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redemedic View Post
    Varies, because he's a shapeshifter. He can grow ten legs if he needs that many for combat. We haven't seen that happen because Xykon is feeding him so he doesn't need to hunt on his own.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Varies, because he's a shapeshifter.
    Dammit, you got to it before I could!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    "Manipulative Limbs," new band name, I call it.
    Are The Prehensiles out of business?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Varies, because he's a shapeshifter.
    I don't know, feels like you're going out on a limb here.
    feed the crows

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

Varies, because he's a shapeshifter. He can grow ten legs if he needs that many for combat. We haven't seen that happen because Xykon is feeding him so he doesn't need to hunt on his own.
    Dammit, you got to it before I could!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspheric View Post
    I don't know, feels like you're going out on a limb here.
    I know I say this often but: you are all rotters and I hate you.

ETA:
    ....proposing this for the title of the next thread.

I support it.
    See above.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-08-21 at 01:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1044

You are all rotters and I hate you.

25. - Top - End - #1045

I support it.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but how about a demonspawn of Demogorgon?

It's hideous, has wish that specifically aligns with its goals, is very hard to damage, is incredibly strong, has tentacle arms that aren't especially good for pulling, is ravenous(demogorgon was half created from a demon that basically ate tons of other demons), and has an explanation for the demon roaches.

It would be a demonspawn, so speaking common would be unexpected, and it may not have access to telepathy or tongues given it's not a godlike creature.

Thoughts anyone?
    You could make a cartoon in crayons about a red square that falls in unrequited love with a blue circle, and there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house if you know how to tell a story.
    -Don Hertzfeldt

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZerglingOne View Post
    Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but how about a demonspawn of Demogorgon?

It's hideous, has wish that specifically aligns with its goals, is very hard to damage, is incredibly strong, has tentacle arms that aren't especially good for pulling, is ravenous(demogorgon was half created from a demon that basically ate tons of other demons), and has an explanation for the demon roaches.

It would be a demonspawn, so speaking common would be unexpected, and it may not have access to telepathy or tongues given it's not a godlike creature.

Thoughts anyone?
    Not having access to a stat block, only wikipedia, immediately I suspect it'll have trouble with the number of eyes, and with the hunter's declaration of "one of these", since it seems to be a unique named creature. If the children possess the same stats as the parent, please reference the name of the children.

I'm slightly miffed that due to a creature of the same name appearing in Netflix, I'm getting a lot of chaff in my googling.

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #1048

I'm slightly miffed that due to a creature of the same name appearing in Netflix, I'm getting a lot of chaff in my googling.

Grey Wolf
    I'd imagine it's even worse in that they named it after the D&D demon lord.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd imagine it's even worse in that they named it after the D&D demon lord.
    At least "Mind Flayer" already has like 50 pop culture iterations.

-Squire Doodad

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Not having access to a stat block, only wikipedia, immediately I suspect it'll have trouble with the number of eyes, and with the hunter's declaration of "one of these", since it seems to be a unique named creature. If the children possess the same stats as the parent, please reference the name of the children.

Demogorgon is presented in Fiendish Codex I, superseding the original presentation in the 3.0 Book of Vile Darkness. The aspect of Demogorgon (a CR 9 fragment reflecting the CR 23 demon lord) is presented in a web enhancement that's still available from WotC's site.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas