Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: CSI: Waterdeep

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default CSI: Waterdeep

So I was thinking about the more esoteric damage types in D&D.
    Imagine yourself in the perspective of a coroner in Waterdeep. A magical serial killer is on the loose, and he's killed every victim with a different type of magic.
    Some of these are very clear - the one killed with fire damage was burned, the one with cold is frozen, and so on.
    But what does a body killed with necrotic damage look like? Or radiant damage? Does a body killed with psychic damage just sort of drop dead with no external causes?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: CSI: Waterdeep

I imagine necrotic damage as literally sucking the life out of someone. Someone killed by necrotic energy would probably look shriveled up and prematurely aged.

Radiant damage is probably very close to fire damage.

Psychic damage would probably depend on the spell used. A fear-based psychic attack might leave its victims with a terrified expression on their face despite no other physical marks on the body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Radiant I'd imagine would be more like superheated burns, nearly instant cauterization of wounds.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To get realy estoric, go to 3.5, and take a look at desiccation damage (Sandstorm) and City Damage (Cityscape?)
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

5. - Top - End - #5

RangerGuy

I always thought of Radiant damge as leaving corpes looking cooked, with additional damage around the eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

Well, of course any coroner who cares about cause would have some divination capabilities. So rather than just inquiring about the magic or damage type, they could divine a portrait of the killer. And a timeline, and perhaps things like race, family, birth place, etc.

Gotta remember, magic works both ways!

7. - Top - End - #7

For Radiant, just imagine lightsaber wounds.

For Necrotic, either the aging thing the others mentioned, or some kind of aggressive rotting/turning to dust type wounds.

For Psychic, add characteristics like bleeding from the eyes or nose, or even a headless corpse ('cause it exploded of course).

Force might be hard. Perhaps Magic Missile has a characteristic clustered wound pattern.

For Acid, chemical burns, collateral splash, acrid smell, etc.

For Lightning, scorching at the point of impact and down the body on the path it took to the ground. Also residual static charge and hair standing on end, or tensed/otherwise twisted muscles.

For Poison, depends on the type and mechanism of killing. Look up some actual poisons (Cyanide-frothing at the mouth, Strychnine-arched back/tense muscles, Ricin-blood loss, bloody discharge from orfices, etc.).

Sonic might get interesting/messy. If it's a sudden shock based attack (like Thunderwave), then the body might be gibbed (torn apart) or at least bear the marks of a great impact. High frequency attacks like Shatter, however, would more likely shred affected anatomy, perhaps into a fine mist, with a possibility of internal damage as well. Whatever the case is, there would probably be collateral damage, witnesses who heard something (In the case of lightning as well, most likely), and the body would have blood leaking from blasted eardrums.

This has been Phhase's macabre accounting of 5e damage types in a murder mystery setting. Hope you enjoyed!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Well, of course any coroner who cares about cause would have some divination capabilities. So rather than just inquiring about the magic or damage type, they could divine a portrait of the killer.
    Mmm, but what if the image was of the killer in disguise? Further intrigue!
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-03-30 at 09:42 PM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.