New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: White Cloud City OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Dorni View Post
    Heads up that I'm going to move us along to the hunt with my next post, which will probably be Sunday. As much as I enjoy characters bouncing off of each other, its past time we started doing the awesome martial adepts part of the martial adepts campaign. So if the team wants to approach the hunt with any specific strategies in mind let me know, otherwise I'll be extrapolating.
    My idea would be to go for a stealthy approach with Tsugiharu 130-140' in front of the rest of the group to scout the way, searching for a couple of workers. Once found, we try to ambush them and focus fire on the first, while the tankiest of us stalls the other. This way we can gauge both their defence and offence, and determine how many we can take at once, while keeping the risk to ourselves low. Of course, though, if we happen to pass by a lone ant we're not getting the chance go by.

Though of course this isn't the fastest way to go at it, so if someone has reasons for wanting to be the first to finish the hunt (or wants to do something else for whatever reason) speak now or forever hold your peace.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-04-28 at 01:33 PM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsugiharu Stealth: (1d20+15)[18]
    Perception: (1d20+6)[15]
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

With the first combat coming up, I'd like to give you all a heads up with how I plan to run combats. Let me know if you've got any questions.

Block Initiative
    We will be using Block Initiative. For anyone not familiar with it, what will happen is I'll roll initiative for all characters. First the PCs who won initiative will act, then the bad guys will act, then we'll alternate between the PCs and the NPCs. When the PCs are on turn, they can act in any order and I'll resolve their actions as they are posted. If for some reason you want to hold your action until another character has acted, you may post immediately but specify in the post when you'd like your character's action to be resolved.

Please roll all dice needed to resolve your action in your IC post.
    Please include a spoiler describing your character's actions as part of your IC post. Because this is a martial campaign where swift and immediate actions will play a big role, please note the action types of the actions your character is taking.

Please roll all dice for your character's actions in that post. This includes attack, damage, skill checks, or anything else your maneuver requires. If the attack requires a save or opposed roll from the target, please roll any dice needed to resolve the action regardless of the result. IE, if a maneuver were to deal 5d6 bonus damage if the target fails a save and 2d6 damage if they make it, please roll both sets of dice. I will do the same when rolling for NPCs. This will reduce the amount of back-and-forth posts required to resolve a particular action and will help keep the game flowing. I recognize that this will mean the players gain an advantage from knowing the dice results. For instance, knowing an attacking NPC will land a hit before the player decides whether to initiate a Counter. While on balance this shifts the game balance in favor of the PCs, I'm ok with this because A) the NPCs will operate in the same fashion and B) I consider the benefit to keeping up the game momentum to be worth it.

On Counters
    If you intend to use a Counter, you may resolve the Counter in the OOC before you make your IC post. Players may post their actions for the round without waiting for all other PCs to declare any Counters for the [previous] round. Once a PC's actions for the round have been posted, they may no longer decide to go back and initiate Counters for attacks against them the previous round.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-04-29 at 10:37 AM.
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Block Initiative
    We will be using Block Initiative. For anyone not familiar with it, what will happen is I'll roll initiative for all characters. First the PCs who won initiative will act, then the bad guys will act, then we'll alternate between the PCs and the NPCs. When the PCs are on turn, they can act in any order and I'll resolve their actions as they are posted. If for some reason you want to hold your action until another character has acted, you may post immediately but specify in the post when you'd like your character's action to be resolved.
    So, is this determined yet, or are you waiting for us to actually enter combat?

Spoiler: Granted Maneuvers
    Show
    Rolling to determine the 2 withheld maneuvers.
    (1d6)[5], (1d5)[1]
    1. Brew Alchemy - 1st
    2. Thought Shield - 1st
    3. Psychogenic Shield - 1st
    4. Dismiss - 1st
    5. Sage Strike - 1st
    6. Devouring Page - 2nd

Edit: Apparently, Mystic gets to pick initially granted maneuvers, unlike the Crusader who gets them randomly. Eh, I'll stick with what I rolled though.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2019-04-29 at 10:44 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't rolled initiative yet. Hyperbolic declared that Tsugiharu was going to scout and he won the stealth roll, so the ants aren't aware of you yet.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-04-29 at 11:39 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Perception: (1d20+6)[9] Yeah, Tsugiharu is in the clear
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-04-29 at 01:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+6)[21] vs 10 Yeah, Izuka gets noticed immediately
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-04-29 at 09:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

We have a Map

And Initiative:
    Ants: (1d20)[8]
    Tsugiharu: (1d20+7)[20]
    Izuka: (1d20+3)[22]
    Congming: (1d20+1)[15]
    Kotetsu: (1d20+4)[15]
    Shiori: (1d20+3)[15]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yyyyeaaaah...no. Begone, natural 1. Stupid as it might be, I'll use a VP to reroll that. (1d20+7)[27] Well, ok then.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-04-30 at 03:20 AM.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Additional crit damage: (1d6)[2]. Also Deadly Strike would trigger even if the ant isn't flat-footed, but I didn't think to roll separately from the stance's "sneak attack"...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Note to self: critical hits need to be confirmed. (1d20+7)[24], +4 if flat-footed.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

DC 18 Fort (1d20+4)[19] vs Dizzying Venom Prana: On fail, 2 Wis damage
    DC 19 Fort (1d20+4)[22] vs Sting of the Asp. Automatic (1d6)[3] damage. 2 Str damage (save halves). On fail, 1d6 damage + 2 str damage next round.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Kotetsu fails to Acrobatics through an occupied square; her motion is stopped and provokes an AoO from Worker 1. Attack Kotetsu with Bite: (1d20+1)[13]. On hit, (2d6+2)[8] Miss
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-01 at 09:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I'm going to go ahead and institute a new houserule. (I know I said I'm serious about not making changes now that we're underway, and I mean it this time!)

The issue I was tussling with is magic items, specifically stat-increasing items, and how they're pretty much required and assumed by the system. They function as both a gold tax and a locked down item slot. While you can have a custom magic item that provides a stat boost along with whatever other benefit of the magic item you're combining it with, it isn't realistic for everyone in the setting to have commissioned full sets of custom magic items and it makes finding treasure dull as half the item slots won't be replaced by some random item no matter how interesting the effect because stats. So, here's what we're doing:

Ability Boosts: At 2nd level, and every subsequent even-numbered level, characters may may apply a +2 Enhancement bonus to one of their ability scores (or increase an existing enhancement bonus by +2, to a max of +6). This bonus may not be applied to the same ability score twice in a row.

As lv 3 characters, you qualify for an ability boost at level 2. This ability increase may be applied after the current combat is completed.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Ability Boosts: At 2nd level, and every subsequent even-numbered level, characters may may apply a +2 Enhancement bonus to one of their ability scores (or increase an existing enhancement bonus by +2, to a max of +6). This bonus may not be applied to the same ability score twice in a row.

As lv 3 characters, you qualify for an ability boost at level 2. This ability increase may be applied after the current combat is completed.
    Sounds good to me.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ant (1d20+5)[19] vs Congming Trip result 20 Tripped
    Ant (1d20+5)[19] vs Congming Bull Rush result 20 Pushed 5ft
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-02 at 05:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Whoops, screwed up the attack roll. Let's try that again: (1d20+7)[27]
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Okaay then, Shiori. rolling to confirm the crit: (1d20+7)[20]
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Aaand I apologize for the triple post, but extra crit damage: (1d8+2)[3]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Will save DC 15 vs Harmony Shattering Strike: (1d20+1)[7] Failure
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-02 at 10:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Attack (1d20+6)[8] for (1d6+7)[13] Bludgeoning damage.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Sorry to double post but I'm going to start my turn by preparing and using a Sudden Leap, and I'll see how far that takes me before picking actions.

Jump (1d20+9)[19].

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Heads up that I plan to advance the round on Thursday.

Also, I'd like to invite some discussion. My general stance for advancing the round handling PCs that haven't posted is to NPC them. In doing so, I will play them tactically conservatively - that means not taking risks in positioning and expending no important resources. In the context of a martial game, that means I will use Strike maneuvers but will generally refrain from expending Boosts. I will not expend consumables or resources with a daily limit (like ki pools or abilities with an x/day limit), even when it would be tactically advantageous to do so. If any player would like me to follow a different set of rules when NPC'ing their character, feel free to say so and I'll honor any directives you would like.

I will always give at least 1 day's notice before I advance a combat round where PCs haven't posted. I don't stick to an exact schedule in how long I'll wait on a round, but you can generally expect that I will advance a round around 1 week after the round started.

That said, I'm open to other ideas if my players would prefer I handle PCs that haven't posted.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Heads up that I plan to advance the round on Thursday.

Also, I'd like to invite some discussion. My general stance for advancing the round handling PCs that haven't posted is to NPC them. In doing so, I will play them tactically conservatively - that means not taking risks in positioning and expending no important resources. In the context of a martial game, that means I will use Strike maneuvers but will generally refrain from expending Boosts. I will not expend consumables or resources with a daily limit (like ki pools or abilities with an x/day limit), even when it would be tactically advantageous to do so. If any player would like me to follow a different set of rules when NPC'ing their character, feel free to say so and I'll honor any directives you would like.

I will always give at least 1 day's notice before I advance a combat round where PCs haven't posted. I don't stick to an exact schedule in how long I'll wait on a round, but you can generally expect that I will advance a round around 1 week after the round started.

That said, I'm open to other ideas if my players would prefer I handle PCs that haven't posted.
    That's fine with me. Seems reasonable.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling to confirm ant's crit: (1d20+1)[3] Does not crit
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-09 at 06:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I expect that the final ant will die this round, so heads up that two things are about to happen.

1) When the combat ends, the rule for Ability Boosts will come into effect. This means that everyone gets to retroactively apply a +2 Enhancement bonus to one stat of their choice due to having gained the first boost at lv 2.

2) Now that everyone has had a chance to test run their characters in the first combat, I will allow sheet edits and adjustments. Once combat is over I'll do a wrap-up post and the GM post following that will be a move-along post. I'd like to have adjustments finished when I do the move-along, so now is the time to swap out any maneuvers, schools or equipment.

Also, I want to highlight Rizban and Hyperbolic for listing their current / granted / expended maneuvers in their IC posts. It was extremely helpful for keeping track of maneuvers and I would like to ask everyone to do so (in whatever format you prefer).

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I used the Ability Boost on Wisdom; as far as the first post table is concerned, +1 to both Initiative and Perception. Now I'll start missing by 1 every time, mark my words.

No edits on my part.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Adding bonus to Wisdom and switching out Bolster for Staunching Strike.

I think only Shiori took any actual damage that I saw. Since Congming had the Spoils of War stance active, and Shiori got in a hit after that 1 hp damage, it should be already healed.

Also, hey, I just rolled a nat 20. Even if it does nothing, that's still cause for celebration!
    Last edited by Rizban; 2019-05-10 at 11:55 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Adding the +2 boost to Wisdom. No other changes.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point, Shiori gets healed by Spoils of War so she is back to full health.

Conming (and anyone else who checks) can harvest the soul gems with no issue. Once the beast is slain harvesting the gem is easy and only requires a little training (ie, a random commoner might not be able to but anyone who has been through the academy can). Conming is pretty sure the workers gems would fetch 30gp apiece while the soldier's could sell for 45gp.

Let me think about the idea of harvesting beast components for alchemy. The soul gems will be a regular part of loot from beasts, the alchemical components idea wasn't something I had considered in advance. I think the idea has lore merit (for some creatures moreso than others), but my concern is that fighting beasts becomes an exercise where the party gains X gp worth of soul gems while the crafters gain a bonus share. Extrapolated over a campaign, that means that either A) most of the characters become some form of crafter so they don't miss out on 'bonus' loot or B) one segment of the party gains a persistent wealth advantage. And as a secondary concern, if I do decide to implement the idea I would want to systematize it rather than needing to fiat it each time, so I'd need to come up with a general formula I like.