Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Duke Malagigi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moline, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Any undead slaying tips or tricks you can think of can be posted here. But first my tips on slaying vampires.

    1. This is for fighting vampires only. Take a bag of holding and start filling it with large quantities of small pebbles, grain, rice or any thing else incredibly small. When you face the vampire or a group of vampires throw the bag of holding at one of the vampires, as long as he or she has a bladed weapon. If you're lucky, the vampire will try to stop the bog of holding by swinging his or her sword/other blade. If all goes according to plan the vampires will spend their time counting individual pebbles or what ever other contents of the bag instead of attacking you or innocent bystanders giving you ample opportunity to slay them without much of a fight. Just make sure you have a dedicated bag of holding with the words "against vampires only" stitched on it.

    How does this work? According to some Romanian folk lore vampires have an instinctive drive to count large quantities of small objects and other symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. Talk about unholy compulsions. :D Also if you rupture a bag of holding from the outside, all of its contents spill out instead of being lost.

    2. Rearrange the vampire's belongings. See, when someone becomes a vampire his or her very soul is warped and twisted causing descent into evil and mental illness. And to be more specific, obsessive compulsive disorder.
    On the issue of killer or sadistic DMs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

    Cheers,
    Gary

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post
    2. Rearrange the vampire's belongings. See, when someone becomes a vampire his or her very soul is warped and twisted causing descent into evil and mental illness. And to be more specific, obsessive compulsive disorder.
    Well, um... wouldn't this only result in the vampire falling into an inarticulate rage? Resulting in a low-level party-wipe?
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Cogwheel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    3 - Always bring a Small Thermonuclear Device, it helps. Failing that, bring a cleric, it has pretty much the same effect either way.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada, eh?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    4.

    Portable Hole - 20,000 gold pieces
    16,909 Flasks of Holy Water - 422,725 gold pieces
    Bullrushing a vampire into a portable hole filled with holy water and closing the top - Priceless.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Back in the USSR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Bleach your hair. Vampires can't resist blondes (of either gender), and they'll be hopelessly distracted.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia, mate :P

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    5. bring a bludgeoning weapon, the number of times PCs in my campaigns have been overpowered by skeletons because they didn't add a club to their inventory is staggering. it doesn't even cost anything!!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Garlic.

    Eat it, wear it, bathe in it.

    Vampires won't be able to stand you. Then again, neither will anybody else, but that's a small price to pay to avoid being bitten.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post
    How does this work? According to some Romanian folk lore vampires have an instinctive drive to count large quantities of small objects and other symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. Talk about unholy compulsions. :D Also if you rupture a bag of holding from the outside, all of its contents spill out instead of being lost.
    This also happened in a very memorable episode of the X-Files

    7. Cover up one of your party member's faces, let the vampire bite her, then reveal that the party member he just bit was Mialee. The vampire will likely kill himself.

    8. Keep a backup shield that has a polished mirror on its front. Should help keep the vampire at bay.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    9. Be a Cleric
    9a. For added affect specialize against the undead.
    The name is Afraidofsharpies, but the board does not like that last 'S'.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    If you're a spellcaster, try to get the spells Command Undead or Control Undead.

    I'm no expert on D&D, so I'm not sure how well either would work against vampires, but just a thought.

    The ironic thing is that I was watching the black-and-white version of Dracula just last night, so you may want to try wolfsbane as well.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Atlanta

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Make sure your party names are Buffy, Willow, and Xander. A mentor named Giles is just gravy.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    blackspeeker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    4.

    Portable Hole - 20,000 gold pieces
    16,909 Flasks of Holy Water - 422,725 gold pieces
    Bullrushing a vampire into a portable hole filled with holy water and closing the top - Priceless.
    How long would a party need to play to aquire that much wealth, becausse thats my next longterm party goal.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    de-trick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    where dreams are made
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    find wildroses and touch the vampire with it fort or die
    Spoiler
    Show

    sig by Bitzeralisis

    Old Avatar by Simius

    new Avatar by Qwernt


    Tiger Paladin of HALO

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    10-when all else fails...throw potions of cure X at the vampire...especially if you cant bypass his DR with your weapos!!Tried and true technique...though a healing domain cleric would do a quicker job of him

    P.S. works against all undead...even multiple undead(maximized, empowered mass cure critical wounds )

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    psychoticbarber's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Windsor ON, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    11. Give it a Fenix Down.
    11a. After it sits there, confused, beat its head in with a club and stab it through the heart with any wooden object. It should explode into dust.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

    Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    daggaz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post

    How does this work? According to some Romanian folk lore vampires have an instinctive drive to count large quantities of small objects and other symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. Talk about unholy compulsions. .
    I believe "Sesame Street" predates Romania by a good 700 years..

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mr. Moogle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Page 666 of the DMG
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    4.

    Portable Hole - 20,000 gold pieces
    16,909 Flasks of Holy Water - 422,725 gold pieces
    Bullrushing a vampire into a portable hole filled with holy water and closing the top - Priceless.
    Or fill a 'hole with water diverted from a river and have your cleric cast bless water 16,909 times .
    I'm the Official Monk Advocate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Excuse me while I invent a spell to scrub my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    If you play cheese, never complain when you are killed by it.
    Stuff:
    Force Adept

    Magician




    Proud Hobgoblin slayer of the Daigo Fanclub - So glad You found your Soul Mate!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    is nice, sometimes
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    12. Use a whip.
    13. Use magic silver weapon of some sort.
    14. Use a sling shot and holy symbol shaped holy water grenades.
    15. Throw it a new source book for Vampire: the Brooding for a distraction.
    16. Convince your DM that crossbow bolts are just very aerodynamic stakes.
    17. Throw a river at it.
    18. Whack it with the Sun.

    The last two are impractical but fun to imagine.
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Land of Cleves
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Or fill a 'hole with water diverted from a river and have your cleric cast bless water 16,909 times
    Same cost. Holy water is sold for the same cost as the silver powder needed to make it, since good temples are happy to help folks destroy undead.

    19: The gnomish method. Rig up about 50 mirrors to reflect sunlight through all of the twisty passages of the vampire's lair into its sanctum.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Collegeville, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    20. Use a cleric, and turn the damned thing.
    21. Bring an Anne Rice fan into its lair, The stupid fangirl will be so busy writing crappy goth poetry and love stories and trying to molest the vampire that it wont have time to notice you sneaking up behind with...
    22. Maxwell's Silver Hammer


    Koboldsarbeiter avatar by Mindfreak

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Collin152's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Phoenix Metro Area, Az
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    23. Make the cleric bite it, it'll turn into a mama's boy.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Wooter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post
    Any undead slaying tips or tricks you can think of can be posted here. But first my tips on slaying vampires.

    1. This is for fighting vampires only. Take a bag of holding and start filling it with large quantities of small pebbles, grain, rice or any thing else incredibly small. When you face the vampire or a group of vampires throw the bag of holding at one of the vampires, as long as he or she has a bladed weapon. If you're lucky, the vampire will try to stop the bog of holding by swinging his or her sword/other blade. If all goes according to plan the vampires will spend their time counting individual pebbles or what ever other contents of the bag instead of attacking you or innocent bystanders giving you ample opportunity to slay them without much of a fight. Just make sure you have a dedicated bag of holding with the words "against vampires only" stitched on it.

    How does this work? According to some Romanian folk lore vampires have an instinctive drive to count large quantities of small objects and other symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. Talk about unholy compulsions. :D Also if you rupture a bag of holding from the outside, all of its contents spill out instead of being lost.
    Wouldn't it still work and also be cheaper if you just used a regular bag?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    24. Be an epic cleric with the sun domain. And specialize against undead. Nothing short of a draco-lich or a demi-lich will be able to stand against you.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Duke Malagigi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moline, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wooter View Post
    Wouldn't it still work and also be cheaper if you just used a regular bag?
    Yes, but could you fill a regular bag with 12,000+ tiny pebbles? Now do you understand what I'm saying?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Mewtarthio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by de-trick View Post
    find wildroses and touch the vampire with it fort or die
    I though wild roses just prevented it from leaving the coffin.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    8. Keep a backup shield that has a polished mirror on its front. Should help keep the vampire at bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    19: The gnomish method. Rig up about 50 mirrors to reflect sunlight through all of the twisty passages of the vampire's lair into its sanctum.
    This sounds like something out of The Legend of Zelda. Get the Mirror Shield after beating the miniboss, then go through a series of complex light-reflecting puzzles...

    ---

    25) Plane Shift to the British Empire. The sun never sets there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ocato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Muncie, Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Disintigrate: Vampires have no constitution score and therefore automatically fail fortitude saves that they aren't immune to, like poison or death. So Disintigrate is pretty much an auto-win. I think... is that right?
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

    Avatar by Kalirush

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Collin152's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Phoenix Metro Area, Az
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Arent undead immune to everything that requires a fortitude save?

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Duke Malagigi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moline, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Arent undead immune to everything that requires a fortitude save?
    Undead are immune to anything requires a fortitude saving throw unlees it affects objects. Disinergrate still works.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SurlySeraph's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Department of Smiting
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    26. If you think you have enough stakes for all the Vampire Spawn, buy another.
    27. Get a powerful vacuum cleaner. You'll thank me when they try to use Gaseous Form to escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Mewtarthio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1001 vampire or other undead slaying tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    Disintigrate: Vampires have no constitution score and therefore automatically fail fortitude saves that they aren't immune to, like poison or death. So Disintigrate is pretty much an auto-win. I think... is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Any living creature has at least 1 point of Constitution. A creature with no Constitution has no body or no metabolism. It is immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless the effect works on objects or is harmless. The creature is also immune to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain, and automatically fails Constitution checks. A creature with no Constitution cannot tire and thus can run indefinitely without tiring (unless the creature’s description says it cannot run).
    Nothing in there about auto-failing Fort saves that it's vulnerable to. Of course, being undead, vampires have lousy Fort saves. Disintigrate's still powerful against undead.
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2007-10-01 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •