New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms! - Volume II

"Well..."

Smiling nostalgically, Skymoth starts to recount a story.

Spoiler: Story Time
    Show
    "After the Moon touched me -- that's a different story, I'll tell you about it some other time -- I went to Ahlat to ask what I should do. He was quite miffed about the whole thing. I think he saw it as Luna stealing one of his wives, the daft bull."

"So, after a bit of a tantrum, he decided to keep me locked up in his palace. Even though I was no longer of interest to him -- didn't have the right parts anymore, if you catch my drift -- he just couldn't bear the thought of one of his Brides leaving. He set two of my sister-wives to ensure that I wouldn't escape, which was quite the trouble for me, because even if I fought or snuck my way out they would be punished for it."

"Well, I don't mind telling you that I'm not the most clever about these things. Frankly, I was stumped. Finally, I asked Luna for guidance before I slept, and in a dream she gave me inspiration. I turned into a bug, small enough to slip out of the room I was imprisoned in and go about unseen, and I whispered to Ahlat while he slept. I used my old voice, the one he remembered, so that he would dream about me. Sure enough, he came to visit me the next day."

"Though he disliked my new form -- or claimed to -- knew how to flatter him, and my charm is considerable. I convinced him to drink with me, and then to drink far more than was wise. Trust me when I say that it takes a lot of liquor to lay low a god like Ahlat; I had to use all my skill to keep him from realizing that I wasn't drinking one tenth as much as him."

"Well, finally the fool fell asleep, so I took my chance. I cut off his most prized possession -- the thing that makes all those wives worth having in the first place, if you catch my meaning -- and hid it! When he woke up, he was understandably furious, but I had him quite over a barrel. I negotiated my freedom in exchange for his missing piece, and forced him to release me."

"Fortunately, I was long gone by the time he noticed the little memento I left him. Should you ever be in a position to inspect it, you might notice my name tattooed on the underside."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Somewhat mollified after sending Molo crashing to the surf, as it were, Brown Leaf returned to Kelam's side and hugged her girlfriend close, nuzzling the underside of her chin. "It's easy, jarabi. You jes' gotta be more powerful'n them. Don't matter none if'n they don't know you are. An' you," she placed a finger delicately on Kelam's breastbone and ran it down to just above her navel "are more powerful'n any man yer likely t' meet."

Leaf lay back and reached for a flask of lavender soap. Today's bathing and...other experiences...had had their therapeutic effect, now she just needed to be truly clean. The sooner they all finished up, the sooner they could get away from the prying, leering Ragara and she could brief everyone. While today's activities with Kelam had been wonderful and novel, the fear for her home had never quite departed. Even meditation, post-meditation experimentation and now Skymoth's admittedly hilarious story weren't able to drive it from her mind. She needed to let them know, and if they would not or could not follow her there, she'd set out at first light, alone. Without Wic, her own feet were faster than any other options they had, and it was her responsibility alone to be there besides. Still...she did not wish to leave anyone behind.

She paused in her scrubbing, staring into the pool, her pensive reflection stared back.
    Sorry for making things complicated!
    -Me

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Wic moves to assist Molo after the Dynast 'fell', with an apologetic glance to Kelam and Leaf. He's starting to regain something of his faculties, and while the Ragaran Heir's attitude was distasteful, what sorcerer can resist a willing, educated audience? Once they're both seated again, Wirric coughs politely, "Well, calling Elsewhere a place is something of a simplification, in the same way as calling the Wyld a place might be."

Sighing pleasantly, the sorcerer takes a deep breath before beginning. He's starting to actually feel at ease here: keeping his clothes on certainly helps, but getting to address someone about esoteric cosmological matters is quite enjoyable. "While locations and items could in theory exist Elsewhere, and do, the lack of the elements that underpin Creation and even most of the realms beyond makes it a confounding place. The Wyld possesses motive force: things continue, exist and change. Thus there is a sense of causality. Both Malfeas and the Underworld abide by similar laws. Elsewhere lacks that quality however: it's a place defined as the absence of place. there is no inherent energy as I understand it, thus there is no possibility for time to progress or items to move. As such it would be more accurate to say I was attempting to be partially Elsewhere. To suspend myself outside of space and time, but tethered to the cycle of the day and my rough physical locale. Hense my reappearance now."

It's strange, as abilities go. Less a spell and more something inherent to his Exaltation. Wic takes a quiet second to ponder the origin of this strange trick before returning his attention to Molo, "The idea was that I'd return to reality given a few hours grace. Which did work. But doesn't explain my seeming trip north. or... her." He looks down at his own hand with a quizzical smile, bemused by the scenario. "I can't determine if it was real. I was about to fall into water... but then I fell into the water here. I dream seldom but that doesn't make it impossible. We talk in dreams."

He ponders the question for a few seconds longer, before a hypothetical solution comes to him. He looks to Molo, searching for a second opinion. "Should I dispatch bound elementals north? It'd take some time to summon them, but they could search the White Sea, find..." The image of the solitary figure, suspended there on the ice alone, finally catches up with Wirric. The sorcerer looks deathly pale, even in the midst of the steam and heat of the baths. It could have been real! She could really be out there, right now! And he's just been sitting here talking? There's a newfound urgency in Wic's eyes as he tries to explain to Molo, "I should! I need to! She was stranded out there! Alone, with no supplies! If there's a chance that was real..."

His own question answered, the sorcerer starts to clamber to his feet. Unless someone intervenes Wirric looks set to leave the bathhouse then and there, likely to go outside and start his summoning rites in the street if need be. His summoning ritual that takes hours of intense concentration and no movement.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Slang snorted as Leaf knocked Molo into the water for leering at Kelam.

They were finding it hard to understand everything Wic was rambling about, but the repeated mentions of the White Sea and a woman paired with the sorcerer’s sudden manic urgency suddenly reminded the Tya of their conversation about the Twilight’s missing daughter.

Slang quickly followed Wic out of the bathhouse and placed a hand on his shoulder to guide him to a quieter side street.

“Wait a sec, Wic. I’m guessing you might have just seen your daughter because of whatever you did to vanish on us, and I promised to help you whatever way I can.” Slang gave Wic’s shoulder a gentle squeeze. “Though Leaf was hoping you could fly us to her home. It’s in danger and that all I know. She was waiting for you to tell us more about it. How long will it take to summon the elementals? Would be faster to send Camellia and Briar?”

Slang thought for a moment. "If they're not suited for the job, maybe we can grab whatever you need for the summoning and bring it with us. You can focus on summoning while the rest of us deal with whatever is going on in Leaf's home valley once we get there."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"Captain..."

Wic has to take a second to register that. And notices, seemingly for the first time, the towel and clothes he's clutching that Slang had handed to him. The sorcerer coughs, trying to compose himself a little, "I don't need much in the way of materials. If need be, we can go right now. Briar and Camellia aren't equipped to explore the northern oceans, but I can start to raise a force once we reach the valley. Summon a flock of Thunderbirds, or perhaps some Cloud People... or Tidemares if I could return to the coast briefly..."

It doesn't matter in this moment. Wic bows his somewhat dripping head to Slang, glad of the solidity of their hand on his shoulder. Looking up, Wirric smiles warmly at his friend. "I... thank you, Captain. That whole experience left me discombobulated. It's been a long time since I was that unsure of reality." It's a little... awkward. Wic can't quite work out what to say, though a part of him is quite unsatisfied with simply that. He glances back at the building they've just emerged from, chuckling a little. "Never been comfortable with public bathing either. Whitewall's just the same: people eye strangers cautiously, but everyone drops their guard as soon as their clothes come off. Fools. Used to go to the baths only for the last hours of the day, trying to make sure it wasn't too busy."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

“Yeah, that was busier than I would have liked as well.” Slang gave Wic’s shoulder another squeeze. “You can to the ship and get changed in privacy. I’ll let everyone know we’ll gather in the mess for Leaf’s full explanation of what is going on and figure out how and when we are going to tackle everything.”

With a light pat on Wic’s shoulder, Slang turned back towards the bathhouse’s entrance. Once back in the mixed bathing area, the Tya moved to the rest of the Circle were gathered. Slang pitched their voice low to discourage Molo or any of his followers from listening in.

“Wic’s head back to the Remora. That might be the best place to talk anyway, so let’s finish up soon.”

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"Wait, hold on!"

Slang need not fear Molo or his entourage listening in on their words to the rest of the circle, for by the time the Tya returns to the baths, the hastily half-dressed Dynast has already rushed out into the street.

"You promised to share your sorcery with me!" he yells after Wic. He draws plenty of stares from passersby... his speech, still Old Realm, is strange, and he's still noticeably damp, bare-chested, and bare-footed... but he seems undeterred by the scrutiny and disapproval of the public. He's equally undeterred by... or has entirely forgotten... the fact that Wic made no such promise.

He pads after the sodden Northener.

"You can't just leave," he pleads, "We can figure this out together, Elsewhere and everything! I've access to all Ragara's libraries here! You need my help!"

Meanwhile, back in the baths, Tuoni's mask laughs. Wafting Sweetness laughs with unrefined, unrestrained mirth.

"Now that is a tale worth telling!" she enthuses, as soon as she's regained her wits. "I promise you, you will always be welcome at any of my springs, for as long as you should live."

She drops her volume and shifts to a seductive tone entirely incongruous with Tuoni's naked body to add, "Come after hours, and I'd be happy to meet you in the flesh..."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"That..."

Wic stops, more than a little startled by Molo's return. The thought of someone so enthusiastically seeking his company is... strange to the sorcerer, a concept he's unsure what to make of. But it's hard to be too suspicious of a man willing to run out into the street without his shirt on. Wirric chuckles, studying Molo's desperate carefully. "I did not make such a promise to you. But it is the duty of a sorcerer to pass on knowledge where he can, to enrich the lives of those he passes by. And I appreciate a willing ear."

The sorcerer gestures his counterpart back to the alley he and Slang had occupied a moment prior. No sense in letting the poor man talk in full public view like that."Leave what I want to one side for now. What do you seek? You're a child of the Scarlet Dynasty, heir to the Imperial Bank, with all those great libraries at your command. The world is yours for the asking. Why do you care about what little scraps of knowledge a wandering sorcerer has to offer?" He can speculate, and has internally. But better to let Molo tell his own story; leaving Wic free to judge him with as few preconceptions as possible.

9. - Top - End - #129

MonkGirl

Her washing completed, Leaf stood and silently indicated to Kelam that she was done. Slang had gone after Wic, and while she was pretty sure the keen-eyed Tya wouldn't let the sorcerer out of their sight again, she didn't want to chance losing him for another day. She removed their box to a secluded alcove, and opened it. The Mourning Blade rested atop her carefully folded clothing, and beneath that was Kelam's armor and clothing, and Leaf's chainmail. She paused, her eyes traced the black-blue scabbard, the intricate abstract patterns of the tsuba, and the sharkskin-wrapped hilt. She also felt in her heart the memory of the sword's scream when it was drawn, the shifting patterns in the metal that marked it as soul-steel. It would only take an inch of that metal, a tiny loosening from its sheath and that scream would rip out again, with all that entailed for Kelam...Hurriedly, Leaf pulled her clothes and armor out of the box and slid the heavy lid back into place.

Holding the bundle of coverings, she turned to Tuoni and Skymoth. "Lady Sweetness, thank you fer allowin' us inta yer sanctum t' enjoy your water. It is without peer in the south, fer sure." She gave a deep bow, then retreated to the driest spot and dressed, wearing her mail between her undershirt and gi. She stepped into her straw sandals, and made a mental note to search for replacement weighted clothing when she reached the valley again. She stayed with the box, her mind wandering back towards towards the sword, and everything that was left to be done.
    -Me

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Tuoni lets out an entirely undignified - and, honestly, pretty uncomfortable-sounding - snort at Skymoth's tale, his laughter cut off at the knee's by the goddess' sultry offer through his own mask. "That's enough of that." The shaman said, half-strict, half-still trying to clear his throat and stop his laughing. "Enough! If you wish to flirt, do it on your own time - I'm not some match-maker, and even less a voyeur. And you," and even if the mask doesn't change, a jutting finger and squared shoulders make it clear he's talking to Skymoth now, "you..."

...have wounded the pride of a proud, proud god and his wrath will be magnificent to watch - from a distance... But Skymoth had already escaped Ahlat's wrath once before.

...should have been thankful someone loved you so, was jealous enough to want to keep you even among his many... But there was nothing of love in Skymoth's tale, just possession.

...should be more careful! Anyone could be listening, Immaculate or worse... But the old woman had already recognized them, and that had been Tuoni's fault.

...are going to be trouble...

Tuoni sighed and straightened, letting the last of his chuckles escape his lips. "Nicely done - I hope you're a fast runner, I do not know much of Ahlat but I do not think he has a short memory. Now, if you're finished," he said, speaking to the goddess in the mask again, "I'd like to finish my bath. I don't know what everyone's rush is."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Skymoth nods with apparent solemness. "I am a very fast runner."

Then, he casually flops backward into the water. Since Tuoni's friends presumably wouldn't actually leave without him, as long as the Lunar stuck close to Tuoni, he should be able to ensure the other Solars didn't slip out of town without him noticing.

12. - Top - End - #132

BlueWizardGirl

Wafting Sweetness harrumphs in Tuoni's mind.

"Fine," she admits audibly, "I can see I've overstayed my welcome. But wherever in Harborhead you encounter a heated spring, I won't be far. See you later~"

The goddess releases her hold on Tuoni's mask and, with a shudder, it reverts to its accustomed blankness.

Meanwhile, out in the street, Molo's entourage arrives piecemeal, having taken more time drying and dressing than their benefactor. One woman drapes a robe over his shoulders as she arrives, and a manservant kneels in the dust to force sandals on his feet. Molo stays focused on Wic through all this, and eagerly follows the Northern sorcerer into the alley.

"You're interesting," he says in answer to Wic's question. "You don't see many Northerners around here..."

He snorts a laugh.

"Much less Northerners who claim to have come direct from the White Sea, or from Elsewhere. I have libraries, and aunts, uncles, tutors, peers, that is true, but I have no one like you. No one who uses Old Realm for casual conversation."

He shrugs.

"Maybe you're a god, or a ghost, or even an Anathema, I don't know. But I don't see any monks around. And I've always enjoyed unwrapping a mystery. Won't you stay?"

He snaps his fingers, says something curt in Flametongue, and one of his hangers-on steps to his side, opening up a small leather-bound codex.

"Name your price, I can pay it."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Wic can't hide a chuckle at the appearance of the budget-serf. Molo might be a Dynast by birth, but running so quickly to his finances is almost nostalgic to a child of the Guild. Smiling, the sorcerer shakes his head at the eager Ragara. "You're bidding against Heaven on one hand, and my daughter on the other. You're not going to win that war with money."

Still, he doesn't exactly look like a man eager to leave the alley either. Instead, Wirric's eyes turn upwards: first towards the Garrison, thence the Fane. The two great centres of geomantic power in Kirigast. They might not be the Hortatum's mysterious target, but having them loom over everything has brought that entire unsolved enigma back into Wic's mind. He should start work on trying to answer the question of what goal the Hortatum might be seeking in the great Manses of the South... and Molo has gifted him an ultimately enjoyable way to do so, provided he can turn this situation around a little.

Wirric sighs, turning back to his new friend. "I have duties to attend to. Duties that require swift and overwhelming action. But they will not last forever... and I too would enjoy the company." True enough. As much as Wic appreciates his circlemates, there are still things he doesn't feel exactly comfortable sharing with them. Folk like Brown Leaf and Tuoni have such a different perspective to his own. Thus any chance to speak with someone like Molo at length is rather tempting. The sorcerer waves back at the bathhouse, "If you are willing to extend your hospitality to me and my friends when next we pass through here, it would be my pleasure to research at your side. I fear no book will answer my questions about that dream, but there's another question that has been rattling around the back of my mind for a few weeks now. A rather difficult problem that..."

Best not get into half of the Hortatum's secrets now. Even Molo might not believe him on that one. Wirric snorts to himself at the thought. "Well, suffice to say I have been unable to determine so much as where to being. Perhaps together we might make some headway. In exchange, I will talk freely on whatever topic you care to ask of me. My years as a page in the courts of the Raksha, my experiments in my home city, tales of the lands I passed through on my travels south, my thoughts on elemental binding... whatever you wish to discuss, I will speak on." Wic winks, taking a second to compose one more brief sentence in Old Realm, for Molo's sake. "Including things not fit for Immaculate ears. If so you will it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Trying to let Molo down gently with an offer to come back later. Wic's sincere about it too; he'd enjoy it, and it's relevant to tracking down the Hortatum.

(12d10)[8][3][6][3][7][9][1][10][4][7][7][1](66)Charisma+Presence+HPM
    (2d10)[5][9](14) Stunt Dice

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Freed of sharing his face, Tuoni flops back down onto the ledge and lets out a short breath. "Finally." He looks to Kelam and Brown Leaf, and the water must be doing something - sitting in the steam, he sounds softer and less tense than he's ever been. "Sit. Relax. Things can wait, for a moment."

15. - Top - End - #135

MonkGirl

Brown Leaf decided that if she was going to wait, she didn't have to do so ankle-deep in hot water on an already muggy evening. She walked the edge of the bath, smiling and inclining her head to the family, and cast withering glances towards Molo's swiftly retreating entourage. She reached the door, and leaned against the wall with Captain Slang. She looked the Tya over. They sure had gotten dressed in a hurry, and where nobody could see, right after Wic had dropped on their head...

"Hey, 'member that night in Champoor? When you done gave me a heart attack an' tol' me Kelam were sweet on me? I owe you fer that. Also fer fundin' our date back in Chiaroscuro. Yer a good egg, Cap'n Slang."

She leaned in and lowered her voice. "I might jes' be tellin' stories outta school here, but I reckon Wic's processin' a lot right now. I don't wanna lose track'a him, but I ain't leavin' Kelam an' Tuoni here. If'n you go t' Wic, you kin make sure he ain't 'bout t' fly off t' the middle'a the frozen sea or go archive-divin' with that Wizard, he's liable t' be influenced any which-a-way right now..." She paused, and when she spoke again her nonchalant tone was undermined by the conspiratorial glint in her eye. "...an I don't think he'd deny yer right cute with yer hair wet, cap'n."

With that, she turned and began walking around the other side of the pool, an innocent spring in her step.
    -Me

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Slang rolled their eyes when Tuoni insisted on continuing to lounge in the baths. “Public baths aren’t exactly relaxing for me,” they muttered under their breath.

Slang grinned at Brown Leaf when she mentioned Slang sneaking up on her. “If you think you had a fright, ask Zalm about when things went missing or got moved about for a few days on the Ono. The crew swore there was a ghost or a spirit on board.” Though to be fair, Zalm was more startled to find a barely teen girl sleeping behind a random crate in the corner of the hold.

“You don’t owe me anything for blabbing. Maybe for paying for you two having a good time, but not for idle chatter.”

“I think you are underestimating Wic. He and I already talked about how we need him to transport us to your home. He’s not going to run off…”

He did take to talking with Ragara Molo, and Molo seemed to be able to keep up with Wic’s train of thought better than Slang.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Leaf
    "...an I don't think he'd deny yer right cute with yer hair wet, cap'n."
    Leaf’s words snapped Slang out of their thoughts.

“Now, I think you’re reaching there. We’re just friends.” Even with the denial, a blush began to spread across Slang’s face.

"I better go check on... the crew."

The Tya hurried out of the bathhouse once again.

-----

Voices, specifically Wirric Stanton's voice, from the alley caught the Captain's attention. It seemed Molo distracted Wic like Leaf predicted, but at least he was saying what the Dynast needs or wants will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Wic
    "Including things not fit for Immaculate ears. If so you will it."
    Slang coughed at those words.
    Last edited by Malozing; 2019-05-22 at 10:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

BlueWizardGirl

Molo sighs.

"So you're not just a wandering soul. Duties, family, friends..."

He notices Slang as they cough.

"...a captain..."

He shakes his head and runs a hand through his hair.

"Not so romantic as I thought. But fine, fine. I can't say no when you tease me with stories of Raksha and strange experiments. Just..."

He places a companionable hand on Wic's shoulder and looks the Northerner in the eye. There's a surprising vulnerability in his gaze, a surprising loneliness.

"...be sure you come back, okay?"

Dammit, an adult man with a worrisome habit of objectifying people has no right to puppy eyes of this magnitude! There's even a little lip quiver, just subtle enough it's not cartoonish! Molo is a frighteningly skilled wheedler.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Let's call this an Appearance + Presence Persuade roll aimed at compelling Wic to keep his word, with 2m on the Presence Excellency just for good measure.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    (10d10)[5][1][10][4][3][4][7][8][7][5](54)+1 success. I'll roll any bonus non-charm dice from 10s in the OOC
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

MonkGirl

Brown Leaf kicked off her sandals and sat on the box, her feet dangling in the water. A small part of her wanted to grab Kelam, Tuoni and that new hunky guy and drag them out of the baths by their ears, but she tried to ignore it. There was nothing to be gained in haste, and the baths had been her idea, after all. She somewhat regretted getting dressed already, as the water was still beautifully warm and inviting, almost as much encouragement as seeing Kelam relaxing in it.

Might as well make conversation. "So, Skymoth. I figure you done attatched yerself t' Tuoni there. Are you plannin' on comin' with us? I don't figure any'a this group been up-front 'bout where we's goin' or what we're doin' when we git there."
    -Me

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Skymoth replied with a sweet laugh, letting himself unravel in the heat. He'd have to give a little prayer of gratitude to Wafting Sweetness, he supposed. It was an excellent bath.

"Suits me fine! I never know where I'm going or what I plan to do when I get there, anymore. Comes of having spent my life as a nun, I suppose... when you suddenly get freedom, it's hard to decide what to do with it. I literally don't have anything better to do than tag along with you until I get bored. Plus, a few of my... well, I hesitate to call them friends, let's go with 'peers'... advised me to keep an eye on you all."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"Ehehe..."

It's hard to keep up the 'dignified sorcerer' look when you're blushing beetroot red, and not sure which of your two friends it'd be more embarrassing to make eye contact with. Sun above, why did I try and sell it like that? Seven Venoms Sea had more mercy than Ragara Moto. Coughing, and futility trying to centre himself, Wirric nods to the puppy Dynast. "You have my word. I... told you, companionship and sharing knowledge is part of sorcery, or at least it should be."

He gives Slang an apologetic look, before turning and starting to make towards the Remora. He doesn't need any more embarrassment tonight.

21. - Top - End - #141

MonkGirl

"Used t' be a nun? I don't mind tellin' you I used t' be a monk! Seems t' me we done lived each other's life." Brown Leaf laughed. She was quite warming to this newcomer.

"Though if'n yer story you told Lady Sweetness were true, sounds like yer experience was a bit dif'rent from mine. Never had no reason t' amputate divine appendages among the Immaculates, though I reckon some'a my old peers wouldn't say no. They'd reckon it'd solve a few problems. D'you know anythin' 'bout the Sand's Edge Valley? It's where I wanna take us next. I figure you been 'round here more recently'n I have, you might know the local gossip better."
    -Me

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Slang eyed Molo cautiously. With his puppy-dog eyes and pout aimed at Wic, the Tya thought the Dynast acted like a child who was used to get what he wanted. As if the soft eyes guaranteed it, Wic promised to come back and indulge the man, and it irked Slang.

However, Wic’s flushed face and apologetic expression distracted Slang momentarily from Molo. The Twilight rushed passed the Night in the direction of the Remora, and that eased some of the tension that Slang didn’t know was knotted in their stomach. They moved to follow but paused and looked back at the Dynast and his entourage.

“You better not try to take advantage of any of my friends.” And with that said, Slang trotted to catch up with Wic.

They didn’t say anything as fell into step with the sorcerer, but as they came within sight of the Remora, Slang cleared their throat.

“Sorry for- I- um…” Slang just floundered, not really sure what to say.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

"I've never had a reason to go there, but I can probably ask around if you give me a few hours. Most of the small towns around here are all the same, I have to say."

Small towns were the worst of two worlds, Skymoth thought. Give him the bustle of a city or the vitality of the wilderness, not this listless in-between of bleached farmlands and dusty shacks. Still, he'd endure the trip if he had interesting company.

24. - Top - End - #144

MonkGirl

"Heh, folk from the city may say so, but I know there's nowhere like it." Brown Leaf laughed, then grew more serious.

"But whattabout not wantin' us outta yer sight? I figure nobody else kin' go with ya without standin' out, an' I...kinda mucked it up already. At least two Immaculates know of me, an' if'n I'm seen runnin' around wit'cha they'll know t' watch you too. All I know is that the Immaculates an' the Brides'r interested in my home, an' I need t' get there fast. If yer comin' t' help I won't turn ya down, but I'm afraid we're walkin' into a powerful ugly sitchiation."

She wanted Skymoth to come, she really did, but there were too many factors in play already. It sounded as though he had some connection to the Brides of Alhat, but what it was remained elusive to her. He was charming and open, but he could also change his shape, if her experience with Quispe showed anything. That held all sorts of implications for his role. He was certainly not with the Immaculates, which was good enough for now, but it didn't narrow down his loyalties much. What did Sifu always say when dealing with tricky, powerful beings who greeted you with a smile? "Trust, but verify."

"I...I think you oughtta stay with us, we might be leavin' in a mighty big hurry soon, an' I don't want you left behind if'n you wanna come."
    -Me

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"It's fine! It's fine."

Wic sighs: he meant it, but it's hard to sound convincing when he's still embarrassed by it. His pace starts to slow as he and Slang draw closer to the harbour, the sorcerer striving to explain his thought process once again. "He's got access to libraries we can't just walk into. I thought he might be able to help us find our mark. I... was trying to make sure he'd let me come back to do so after we've made the trip to the valley. Might have gone too far trying to be persuasive."

That was likely an understatement, to put it mildly. And simplifies his feelings a touch, but that's a side issue. Wirric takes a breath, looking up at the Remora with a grateful smile, before turning back to Slang and nodding to them. "I'll be back with you as soon as I can. I promise." Unless something prevents him, Wic moves to board the ship, return to his cabin and change. Despite his failure to exist for most of today, it still felt far too long.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Skymoth flashes Brown Leaf a grin, bright and unconcerned.

"I'm a warrior. Ugly situations are what I do, and any Immaculate who challenges me is going to be lucky if I credit him enough to notch my spear after I clean him off of it."

Her advice seems sound, though. Skymoth wasn't much of a tracker, so letting these Solars get away from him would be risky.

"We'll find out the details soon enough when we get there, I'm sure."

27. - Top - End - #147

MonkGirl

"Ah certainly hope so. It's been two years since Ah left home. If'n somethin' happened to the folk in the sev...six villages I'll be mighty upset."

She leaned on her knees for a moment, then waxed philisophical. "I 'spose that's what it's all 'bout, ain't it? Havin' somethin' t' protect? Tuoni, you've got yer family, Cap'n's got their crew, sounds like Wic finally found somethin' he cared 'bout enough t' wanna protect...an' me an Kelam got each other, right hun?" She smiled at her girlfriend, not as brightly as Skymoth's dazzling grins, but still full of intimate meaning. "Heh, guess I jes' don't like givin' up on protectin' stuff. I ain't never gonna be done carin' bout that valley an' the folk in it...how 'bout you, Sky? Got somethin' you wanna protect?"

Spoiler: OOC&Rolls
    Show
    I suppose this would be a read intentions roll. Leaf isn't expecting Skymoth to lie, but she's hoping to provoke a reaction so she can gauge him better. Going with basic dice here.

Spoiler: THE DICE!
    Show

(3d10)[10][5][1](16)
    (3d10)[10][1][2](13)
    -Me

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

While the other's were talking, Tuoni had slowly slid back into the water until there was nothing save his mask still on the surface, and it looked for all the world that it was just there, sans person, bobbing in the water. It was peaceful, and Tuoni felt his muscles relax as the stress of the past few weeks is washed away.

Brown Leaf's mention of his name only lightly drifts through the water and his contented bubble; a few heartbeats later he sits up. "Huh?"

29. - Top - End - #149

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tuoni
    "Huh?"
    "I was just sayin, we all got somethin' t' care 'bout, t' protect. Yer a family man, right?"

Brown Leaf was splitting her attention between the two men and Kelam, but she had the presence of mind to wonder if she hadn't said too much already. Tuoni had not reacted well to Quispe's nature, after all. Perhaps his toleration of Skymoth did not extend far enough to give out the existence of his family. Damn it, had she done it again?
    -Me

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Skymoth laughed, stirring the water with one finger like a little whirlpool. "That's very noble. But if you only fight to protect what's yours, you'll never get anywhere else!"

The question of why he's willing to fight seems like an odd one, to Skymoth. He'd just said he was a warrior, hadn't he? Warriors fight.

"I'll fight to uphold my honor, or to win glory. To defend my people, or good people anywhere. To punish the wicked and strike fear into my enemies. And if I can't find any of those things, I suppose I'll find someone to fight for fun."