New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: White Cloud City IC

Adarata took the movement away from Nezu's arrow as an opportunity to gather spinning momentum, which he used to crash against the beast's hide once again. Darting from his position, he moved back around the profile of the monster to get into a flanking spot with Tsugiharu. Then he swung again, taking advantage of the monster's drowsiness to get in an even heftier smack.

"Haaaargh!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Can't update the map on my phone, and I'll be phone-bound for a couple weeks, sorry.

Attack of Opportunity: Two-handed Quarterstaff strike, Power Attack 2. Attack (1d20+9)[14] for (1d6+15)[17] Bludgeoning damage.
    Free Action: Prepare Discouraging Strike.
    Move Action: Go to P24.
    Standard Action: Same attack, but now through Discouraging Strike. Attack (1d20+13)[18] for (2d6+15)[22] Bludgeoning damage.

Current Stance: Momentum (+3).
    Manoeuvres Readied: Discouraging lStrike.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Shiori has stopped thinking at this point; everything is reaction. Swinging his flail upwards, he strikes down once more at the Hanyangi's lowered head.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: Using Aid Another via Compartmentalized Aid on Shiori himself to recover Fear the Reaper and Harmony-Shattering Strike and activate Zeal. (1d20+4)[16] vs. DC 10. Regardless of success or failure, all allies in Shiori's Collective (including Shiori) gain a +1 to Attack Rolls this round, and Shiori recovers Fear the Reaper and Harmony-Shattering Strike. On a success, Shiori gains +2 to his attack roll.

Standard Action: Attack the Hanyangi. (1d20+9)[16] (if the above Aid Another succeeds, add 2 to this) On a hit, Damage: (1d8+4)[11]

Stance: Unnatural Presence

Readied Maneuvers:
    Harmony-Shattering Strike
    Drowned Aggression
    Body of Delusion
    Fear the Reaper
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Kotetsu streaked after Izuka and the Hanyangi, seemingly floating above the rough stone of the cavern floor. Rust Cutter flashed in the dim light as she laid into the beast with all the speed she possessed.

Saori continued her performance, her chants and encouragements filling the cavern.

Although the beast had slipped his chains twice, Lash would not be denied. He quickly regathered his chain and lashed out again, once more aiming to ensnare the beast's snout and deny the wounded monster its greatest weapon.

Yumi extended one hand toward the beast and jerked it back in a ripping motion. You could see nothing, but the beast shuddered in pain. You get a brief glimpse of Yumi's eyes dilating as it happened, but the girl took up her scythe again and struck again with a heavy overhand strike.

Kaede hollered in excitement and unleashed another barrage of attacks. Her ki-enhanced strikes flashed by so quickly they were practically a blur.

From over your mental connection, you sense wordless haze of disappointment from Hitomi. At the same time, her glaive became wreathed in some kind of dark energy; even though it wasn't pointed at you, terror radiated it and raised the hair on the back of your neck. Something about that energy just wasn't right. And then Hitomi hit the Pack Lord with it.

Nezu, meanwhile, had settled into a rhythm and was focused on launching one flaming arrow after another into the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kotetsu
    Move: To N23. Pack Lord is Stunned and cannot AoO.
    Standard: Attack with Rust Cutter at (1d20+14)[17]. On hit, (1d8+6)[14] + (1d6)[5] Skirmish +(2d6)[6] HSS damage. Hits

Saori
    Start: Gain 1 Tempo
    Free: Maintain Inspire Courage
    Siwft: Recover Pep Talk (-2 Tempo)
    Move: -
    Standard: Initiate Pep Talk. Lash gains +7 to one d20 roll.

Lash
    Standard: Attempt to wrap chain around Hanyangi's snout. Resolved as a Grapple attempt. Pack Lord is Stunned and cannot AoO. Attack at (1d20+12)[15], On hit opposed grapple (1d20+15)[20] vs Pack Lord (1d20+14)[15]. Miss

Yumi
    Last Turn: Recover maneuvers when Claimed creature dies (Pack Lord 1)
    Start of Turn: Gain 1 Vitae, claimed creature (Pack Lord) takes (1d4)[1] damage
    Move: Drain. Pack Lord takes 3 damage. Yumi heals (1d6)[3] hp.
    Standard: Attack Pack Lord at (1d20+14)[17]. On hit, (2d6+10)[18] damage. Hit

Kaede
    Standard: Attack Pack Lord with Flurry Strike.
    Attack 1: (1d20+13)[18], on hit (1d8+7)[13]+(1d6)[2] damage. Hit
    Attack 2: (1d20+13)[23], on hit (1d8+7)[13]+(1d6)[1] damage. Hit

Hitomi
    Standard: Attack Pack Lord with Panic Assault at (1d20+9)[27]. On hit, (1d12+4)[7] damage. Hit
    Concentration (1d20+9)[13]. On success, attack deals (1d6)[6] negative energy damage + 1 cha damage. Fails

Nezu
    Swift: Initiate Flanker's Gambit
    Standard: Attack Pack Lord with Eye of the Needle at (1d20+16)[32]. On hit, (1d8+5)[8] + (1d6)[5] damage. Hit
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-12-08 at 01:15 PM.
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

In the dim light Tsugiharu was a wraith flickering in and out of the material plane. He finally reappeared and drove his blade into the monster's throat. He wretched it free, leaving the creature's windpipe a gory mess.

Not to be outdone, Adarata's two handed staff swing slammed into the creature just below its ribcage. A heavy bruise was forming the moment the farmboy withdrew his staff; he must have ruptured one of the beast's organs with that clean hit.

Shiori's strike was pure reaction and connected with the creature's skull, but the angle wasn't quite right and the demon beast's body was far tougher than any normal creature of its size. Shiori's mace came in from a less than perfect angle and glanced off the beast.

With Kotetsu's full weight behind her charge, her blade bit deep into the monster once again.

Lash's chains whipped the creature, but the demon beast's hide was too thick for the spikes to really bite and secure the wrap. The creature was able to yank away and the chains slid off the monster's snout.

The rest of their classmates were no slackers either. They swarmed the already struggling monster with an avalanche of well placed attacks. The monster struggled to maintain its feet, sinking to the ground. Finally, at long last, the sheer weight of injuries drove the light from the beast's eyes.

Battle Over
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Tsugiharu dodged the blood that spurted out when he drew back his blade, then, as Lash's chain failed again to shut the beast's snout close, he steeled himself hoping the wound would at least weaken the screech - but it never came, as the hanyangi experienced firsthand how the advantage of numbers is extremely hard to overcome. Too bad (for it) it would never have a second chance.

He kept his guard up for a moment still, watching the creature's every twitch, then closed in and thrust his blade straight through the brain. With Demon Beast like that, you were never too sure.

"Well," he said, flicking his weapon to clean it and taking deep breaths to realign his ki, "think they'll give us extra credits for this?"

In the post-victory high, with the beast laying dead and no severe injury, all the fear he felt during the battle seemed unwarranted, no matter how much he knew that wasn't the case. It was an uncanny feeling.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Shiori stares at the dead body of the Hanyangi, his mind buzzing and empty. Where Hitomi is disappointed, Shiori is merely surprised. This can't be done; it's too easy, too, too, too easy, things don't work like this, there must be...

Then his buzzing mind lands on the worst scenario he can think of at the moment.

"Where..." he begins, then coughs, one hand on the long cut across his torso. "Where is the group that came here first?"
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Kotetsu, or rather her sword stays lodged into the monster until it stops moving and even then she is slow to remove it, using the beast's fur to clean the blade.

That... taught her some valuable lessons, and she seemed lost in thought contemplating the limits of her powers and potentially poor maneuver selection, when Shiori speaks up.

It never ends...

"Don't worry just yet... I'll check for them." She pauses for a moment to prepare her powers again and heads down the tunnel the hanyangi came from, looking around, hoping she doesn't find signs of a blood bath.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

Screw it, I'm just loading up on all Mizuchis.

Heading further into the tunnels to just do a prelim search: (1d20+6)[20] Perception
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

"Extra credit!? Forget extra credit, we'll be heroes! We just took down an evolved demon beast! We saved this valley from being overrun! We've gotta be the only students, like, ever to do something like this! I bet they'll give us an award!"

"Yeah, that was a great fight! Everyone did a good job. This'll be a great class and I look forward to fighting alongside all of you again." Kaede stood with one fist held out in front of her chest and her other hand folded over it, then inclined her head in a bow... to the fallen Hanyangi. Only then did she turn and do the same for the group.

"Not to rain on the parade, but Shiori has a point. Did anyone notice any clues on where Benjiro's team might be?"

"I did not. I didn't pick up any human scents earlier when I was tracking them. But the smell is really strong in here even without the counting the ant massacre. I might have missed something."

"Nah, I bet he chickened out!"

"Nezu! Why would you say that? Benjiro is no coward."

"Really, you're going to defend him?"

"Kaede, please forgive Nezu. What I'm sure he means to say is that it could be that they didn't get here first. He might have found a threat somewhere else, or still be on his way."

"Thats not wh-"

"but before we worry about Benjiro, we should tend to our comrades and patch ourselves up. We'll be in no shape to help Benjiro if we're all wounded and paralyzed."

Kaede nodded like the suggestion made sense, then immediately turned and started tending to her classmates starting with Satomi. If she bore Nezu any resentment she didn't show it. Nezu glowered at being cut off, but finally gave a "whatever" shrug and turned toward his still stunned classmates as well. One by one the rest of the students who were still on their feet peeled off to do the same.

One by one the rest of the students recovered from the Pack Lord's attack and regained their feet, with varying amounts of shame and frustration. Satomi seemed to take her failure personally, while on the other end Reiko was merely thankful that everyone had survived the battle in one piece. She'd then summoned her flame and while it danced in her palm she offered up her healing abilities to the injured.

Spoiler: Kotetsu
    Show
    Slipping away to scout the tunnels, you don't find any more hanyangi. You do find a series of open rooms that look remarkably similar to the egg chamber, if smaller. It doesn't take much to determine that these rooms were where larva were taken after they initially hatched where they could be watched and fed while they grew without getting the way in the main egg chamber. At the end of the tunnel that these chambers branch from you find another such chamber that was incomplete - possibly in the process of being dug out. Which would explain why the back wall had a gaping hole in it. The passageway beyond lacked the rough-hewn angles of the areas you'd seen so far that had been dug out by the ants. This area was a natural cave, and very likely the place where the hanyangi had invaded the hive from.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Reiko moved from one classmate to the next, applying her flames to the wounded. Flesh knit together and color returned to cheeks under those golden flames. Before she'd finished however, Jiyuna abruptly looked to the ceiling as if to see something beyond it. "Hey guys, something's happening on the surface. We should head back."

"Um, excuse me, but how do you know that?"

"Something's got Sunwing's interest."

"The missing hanyangi?"

"No. If it were a threat he'd be getting protective. This is... he's spotted something that has him very intent, but he doesn't feel threatened."

"Maybe its Benjiro?"

"Showing up after the danger is over, of course."

"Yeah, I'm sure he would've loved to be here to help battle the Pack Lord too." Nezu's huff signaled that was not at all what he'd meant.

"Whether its Benjiro or not, if it isn't a threat there shouldn't be any need to rush. Remember what we came here for - we've slain the hanyangis, but we still need to find out how they got into the valley. We should hurry and search the rest of the hive."
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-12-31 at 07:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Well, we assembled in the first place due to the immense danger, which has now been thwarted," Izuka said, nodding to the corpse of the beast.

"So I suppose we can split up again and not worry about it too much. Half to the surface, and half into the tunnels. Our woman hasn't returned yet, so my group should go after her - and Jiyuna's to the surface, since it is her companion that calls. The rest of you go either which way."

He stopped to think it over for a second.

"And I've no thought as to what else could be up there, but I think the odds are best that Benjiro is underground with us. You may find him to be a distasteful fellow, but he was brave on the thought of facing the beast. I suspect he got into some sort of extended campaign with it, and is still hiding within the caves."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"You think?" Tsugiharu chimed in, sounding unconvinced. "The hanyangi was uninjured, so if they met..."

He trailed off, the implication clear. After all, there was no way they could have driven off the beast without hurting it, and Benjiro's group hadn't looked like it was geared for stealth.

"But we never gave him directions. I don't think he got here...but we can't search a whole anthill by ourselves. We should decide what to do once we know what's happening outside."

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Compared to the hunt for their classmates and the battles against the hanyangi pack, the rest of the day passed in a blur. The commotion above turned out to be none other than their Sensei, Shiba Enko, come to save her foolhardy students from the Hanyangi. It turned out that her arrival also solved the mystery of Benjiro's team as well. After receiving the warning about the hanyangi, his team had set of to slay the monsters themselves and encountered one of the beasts. They'd slain the beast but Nanba Akiko had been wounded in the process. The wound wasn't life-threatening, but "with the hanyangi alpha slain" Benjiro had ordered the team to return to their Sensei to have his ally patched up. They'd even taken the beast's head with them as a trophy. Sensei Shiba knew at a glance that Benjiro's "hanyangi alpha" was really just a hanyangi young and had rushed to rescue her other students, following the rough directions Benjiro's group had given. Having Sunwing circling above had also proven to be a fortunate beacon to follow.

She met the students as they were making their way to the surface and rapidly progressed from embracing her students in thanks for their safety to scolding them for foolishness in challenging such dangerous beasts to unmistakable pride in her students' accomplishment in defeating the demons. She initially took the students' claims of a Pack Lord as more exaggeration from her students - until she saw the body, where she did a poor job of hiding her shock.

It also turned out that while most of the class had been recovering from the battle, Kotetsu had already located the spot where the anthill had accidentally opened a passage into the wider cave complex beneath the mountain. Once it was located, it didn't take long for their sensei - with help from Nari of all people manipulating the stone itself - to seal the passage. That done, their Sensei promptly declared today's training hunt to be over and marched the entire class back to the valley entrance where Benjiro's team had been ordered to wait, then from there back to the academy.

The story of the barely-trained students standing up to a Hanyangi Pack Lord and living to tell the tale spread like wildfire, first through the school and then through the city. Sure, they'd had a huge advantage in numbers, but a Pack Lord was a beast that could pose a legitimate threat to experienced hunter parties. To take down such a beast with no casualties in their first week in the academy? Surely this must be a gifted class! The story drew attention, with no less than the academy director appearing to wordlessly observe one of the class' training sessions. Bards took up the story and embellished it, spreading it around the city until it became widely known.

However, just as quickly as the story spread, the moment also passed. The academy did everything in its power to shield the students from visitors and outside attention, lest too much praise too early go to their heads. If anything, the instruction became even more demanding. And while the Bards spreading the story initially brought the class a moment of fame, everyone knew that bards' tales grew exaggerated in the telling. It became a popular tale, but within the month it had became another of the many tales of heroism in the city's endless struggle against the Demon Beasts.

But to those that knew the truth of the tale, the class had drawn interest. And with interest came new expectations.

End of Adventure 1

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Days turned to weeks and weeks into routine. The academy had seemingly decided the best way to keep the achievement of slaying the Hanyangi Pack Lord from going to their students’ heads was to redouble their instruction, for if the students were utterly exhausted they’d have no energy left to get themselves into any more trouble. Some suspected it was an order from on high, after rumors had spread that the incident had created high hopes for the new crop of students. Of course, no instructor ever acknowledged whether that was the case, and any student found boasting about it self-evidently had too much time on their hands - which the instructors were happy to remedy.

And so life at the Academy returned to normal for a time. Whether it was because the stories of the incident faded, or perhaps because the students had reached a level of competence in their techniques that satisfied even the most demanding of instructors with their progress, or simply adapting to their new life, the class slowly found themselves having more free time. Some spent this time buried in the library to deepen their learning, others in the shop to learn or perfect a craft, and others yet hadn’t had enough of the training yard. After their third month it was announced that they had completed their introductory period and could leave the academy grounds in their free time, and many took the opportunity to visit families. Among those was Izuka Adarata, who went to visit his family one weekend, but failed to return when the weekend concluded. While some in the class were perplexed at the absence, the instructors refused to comment on another student’s personal situation.

But the quiet days weren’t to last. One day the news came, sweeping through the city like wildfire. Uesugi Hoshi, Lord of White Cloud City, had passed. The announcement came as a shock to many, for although Lord Uesugi had been in his 60s, many had thought such a titan as “The Man Without Enemies” would live forever. In recent years the title had come to be a reference to his kindness, wisdom, and knack for peace-making, but many still remembered how he’d originally earned it in the colosseum in his younger years - by utterly decimating anyone who dared stand against him until none dared rise as his enemy. Although in recent years he had rarely needed to draw his blade - and the threat sufficient that he even more rarely needed to employ it - there was no suggestion that he’d ever allowed his skills to dull.

The funeral lasted 3 days and nights, with a grand procession through the city and a eulogy delivered jointly by the patriarchs of each of the Great Clans praising his years of dedication to the city. Uesugi Hoshi was succeeded by his son, Uesugi Nagato. The new City Lord was the natural choice, both as Hoshi’s son and having served at his father’s right hand for years.

Still, life could not stand still and the city’s mourning faded with time. Classes resumed after their brief cancellation during the mourning period. Businesses reopened and the bustle of city life, never truely extinguished, gradually returned. There was a stir when Class A received a transfer student from Class B - Keiji Muto, a boy who towered over the rest of the class. No particular reason was given, but his old instructor seemed in good spirits after the transfer was concluded.

And so Class A found itself once again back to lessons when the next news came - but it hadn’t arrived just yet. The final exercises in the training yard had just wrapped up and Sensi Shiba had dismissed the class, signaling the end of required classes for the day. Which left everyone with free time.

Spoiler: Tsugiharu
    Show
    Word has circulated among the clan that there was no foul play behind this unexpected death. Kuroda doctors examined the body and determined that the cause of death was a heart attack. Although he was in excellent physical shape otherwise, his arteries had hardened from years of build up. Uesugi Hoshi had been known for his big appetite, so while his passing was both sad and sudden, it didn’t seem that there was dark guild involvement.

Spoiler: Shiori
    Show
    Although you’re still kept at arm’s length from most of the clan’s dreamwalking activities, you still hear things. In the wake of Hoshi’s passing the city’s mourning and their anxiety for the future had darkened many dreamscapes for a time, forcing the Dreamwalkers to be extra vigilant in their nightly patrols. You get the sense that attacks from them had ticked up, but the clan was confident they’d slain all the invaders before any had taken root. As the city had returned to business as usual the nightly invasions had likewise returned to normal.

Spoiler: Diplomacy or Knowledge Nobility DC 15
    Show
    Uesugi Nagato is known as a competent leader and skilled warrior, but “competent” and “skilled” fall far short of the force of nature and mighty ruler that was Useugi Hoshi. While no force on earth could entirely stop the clans of White Cloud from politicking, under Uesugi Hoshi’s reign they had mostly kept the feuding to a minimum and rarely engaged in more than minor actions against each other.

While Nagato may make a competent City Lord, he simply doesn’t command the same levels of fear and respect that his father did. Worse, while the powerful clans of White Cloud had been kept in check by Hoshi, that didn’t mean they’d all set aside their grudges and forgiven all slights. With a new and comparably weaker ruler on the throne, now would be the perfect time for the clans to test their new lord’s authority and perhaps avenge the grievances they’d kept bottled up. For some clans, the possibility of instability is a worry. For others, it's an opportunity.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2023-02-02 at 12:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Free time was the worst invention to ever exist. With... nothing... that he is required to do, Shiori is forced to contemplate, and there is no greater horror.

Well, no, there are far greater Horrors, but the contemplation of Them is still pretty bad.

The situation in the waking world has become steadily more... unbalanced, of late. An upturn in nightly visitations is a cause for widespread panic among those who know, at least in Shiori's mind--though, to be fair, the state of affairs before the death of the last ruler was a cause for widespread panic in his mind, too. The assurance that the rougher times had passed, instead of comforting him, fills him with dread, for there is nothing less certain that certainty that everything is okay. His nearly-forgotten diplomatic training, re-energized by some of the lessons of the school, had picked up another worrying fact and deposited it into the web of growing unease: Uesugi Nagato is not his father. In fact, he is without distinction, positive or negative, as far as Shiori can recall--but that might be due to the long, dark shadow that his father casts. The Yamazakis value stability far too highly--and for far too much reason--to jeopardize it on mere power plays, but the other clans... well, just look at his fellow students. Ambition is a weapon here, which many train in as rigorously as any other tool or technique.

All of this means that Shiori, when the dreaded "free time" is announced, finds himself even more paralyzed than usual, in one far corner of the training yard, his thoughts tumbling over one another like a landslide, leading to panic... business as usual, in many ways, that. One hand is still placed atop his warhammer (which he always carried, of course, and was never anything else), while the other spins the new ring on his finger in constant circles (the ring is newly bought, of course, and it didn't appear from nowhere). Eventually, if the pattern holds, he will find something to distract him and dash off to it or be consumed by panic and hole up in his quarters; by this point, most have probably learned to leave him alone.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps it was self intuitive, perhaps it was gleaned from seeking her stepfather's totally legit father's opinion on the city leader's passing, but to the silver haired tomboy, it seemed like the entire city was going to end up like the school, albeit with more deadly open warfare.

It may have been months, but Kotetsu didn't forget the clique-y behavior the other first years had displayed during their 'Pack Lord' fight; in particular she was appalled by that Benjiro kid. A Pompous toad if she ever saw one. Still was, more than likely. As she continued to move through her sword drills (despite training being over,) she wondered if his actions had, or would get someone else hurt. And how many other Benjiros were there in the city right now? Older, meaner, fatter, more ambitious or even actually competent? Or holding clout over others? Sufficed to say, it wasn't looking good for any scenario where all the first years come together and learn valuable lessons in unity or their forebears doing much the same...

However...

Kotetsu thought of her father and her mother the playwright. There's a lesson in all this, they would probably say, and if anything, Kotetsu came to the conclusion that breaking the cycle wouldn't start with some big, to-do, Clan leader or city official. It would have to start smaller. Much smaller. Should she come out to her classmates? ...No. No, she wasn't ready to let the hare out of the hat. Strengthen the bonds of friendship then?

"Oy. You look awful."

Shiori has company! She's wearing a brand new all black kabukimono, still possesses questionable tact, and the same, saffron rust colored scarf and arm wrappings, but something else, something more seems different about Kotetsu than before. In particular she has the odd smell of O-zone about her and her sword, though how one can smell like a spring storm is a small mystery.

"I mean no offense, comrade in arms, but... Is everything alright? Maybe we should...I don't know, get something to eat? " she stares at him with a calm mask on her own features. "...Or do you need to hit something? I think the proctors brought in a bunch of defective clay pots for venting aggressions out on over by the storage shed again."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

What to do?

As he performed the last few stretching exercises, Tsugiharu surveyed his classmates - one in particular.

Perhaps he shouldn't have poked his nose into the matter, but could you really blame him for wanting to get clearer picture of the situation around him? He might have ended up stepping on a metaphorical explosive charm at the worst moment. Ignorance is the first step on the path to defeat.

And now, having turned to his clan for more information, they knew he knew, and while no one had said anything, he couldn't help but feel like it was expected of him to keep an eye out for irregularities. The issue was that they didn't interact much outside of class, so...if he wanted to, how would he do it? Aside from old-fashioned stalking, which carried a host of other problems, he was having difficulties coming up with a viable solution.

Still...her, huh? Can't say I'm surprised. He couldn't point out a specific reason why, it merely felt fitting. Though he found himself wondering if she really had only taken after the less violent aspects of her grandfather's personality, or if deep down she really wasn't someone you'd want to face as an enemy.

The was also Class A's foremost annoyance, Benjiro, now with added anger. Part of Tsugiharu felt a sliver of simpathy for him, the other thought that his way of venting was very much like the overgrown child he was...but, at least, he wasn't likely to cause the kind of trouble Tsugiharu was on the lookout for.

Wait, no, scratch that. He could totally picture Benjiro getting duped into thinking he was the white knight saving the damsel in distress, in the most cliched of manners.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Ok, I'm overthinking this. There's a new Lord already, and this is Phoenix Academy. Nothing's going to happen.

Finishing his stretching, he let his gaze wander around as he kind of gravitated towards the towering transfer student that was his new seat neighbor (he had tried to find out what happened to Adarata, but unfortunately a random commoner clan was not the focus of the Kuroda's network. He could only hope it had been nothing too bad).

Show
    And as is tradition, taking 10 on Stealth (@+4 from stance) [28] for general passive unnoticeability and lack of presence.

"So, uh, Keiji, right? How was class A?"
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2023-02-03 at 01:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

“Whoa, where’d you come from?”

Keiji was big. Not only did he stand far taller than even the instructors but combined with his muscle mass he appear much larger than he was. On his head was a pristine white mask, with black circles around the eyes and mouth.

He was mid squat and Tsugiharu’s sudden appearance caused him to jump.

“Ahem, you should be carefu… uh Tsugiharu was it? Wouldn’t want to hit you on accident.”

It wouldn’t have been the first time either that he had hit one of his classmates while they started their exercises. He never could find an answer as to why the rest of White Cloud city was so small.

“But yes you can call me Keiji. Or El Diablo Blanco!” Keiji flexed both arms.

“As for class B, their too serious for their own good. How are you supposed to enjoy a match if you worry about every little thing? At least Reiko and Touma seemed to have spirit. How about class A?”
    Last edited by Zetion; 2023-02-05 at 01:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Shiori gives Kotetsu a look filled with despair. "Don't you see it's no use? If I eat now, then the time I would eat later is sacrificed. If I train now, the time I would train later is transformed." He shakes his head, letting out a grim chuckle edged with hysteria. "No matter what I do, I can't escape it. Eventually, I will have to deal with it. There is no escaping... free time."

Slowly, the head shakes swivel down into stillness, Shiori staring somewhat blankly ahead. "How does one defeat a foe such as this?" he muses morosely. "We are bound--by custom, by law, by flesh, by air, by perception. How can we be expected to face down the limitless scope of time itself, even before it is made 'free'?" He breathes out a long, deep sigh, the dark circles under his eyes standing out like bruises. "Food and fighting? Is that how to combat such an insurmountable foe?"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oh. Oh no. A musclehead.

"El Dia...uuuh...erm. Don't worry, I'm...I think I'm decent at dodging stuff. Or people."

Tsugiharu looked over his classmates once again, then back up at Keiji.

"Well, I was kind of asking what you though about us. But, uh, let's see...I think Nezu over there shares your, ah, spirit. Satomi, maybe? You should probably steer clear of that guy over there, Benjiro, though. He'll make you want to punch him for real."
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2023-02-05 at 04:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Kotetsu feels her eyes trying to cross while processing her friend's assessment.

"I think the phrase 'live in the moment' might be helpful here, Shiori... A warrior, a true one should be ready to fight any time, any where, any one...but we're still students. Sure we never really stop learning, but I digress..." Kotetsu plucks a long stalk of grass and chews on its end, nonchalantly, looking over the training field.

"My point is, we're not always given standing orders, or direct paths to what we need to do. Free time isn't necessarily our next battle; it could just be used to cultivate our inner...um... inner...resolve. You know, REST UP a little so we're fit and hail for when we're needed."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Pixie in the Playground

“Ha, I look forward to sparring with them once the chance permits itself.”

Keiji looked towards Benjiro sizing him up, “Anything in particular I should watch out for with Benjiro?”

He knew all too well the power of gossip on one’s reputation. Though he’d be a fool to ignore it outright.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Watch out for...well, I wouldn't really go that far. He just has an ego larger than the Academy." Tsugiharu shrugged. "Take that as you will."

"Uh, I suppose I should also warn you that Shiori, the one over there with the shield, is a bit, uhm, unusual. Don't take it as an insult if he says or does something strange. Like thinking you're not real."

"Ah, but don't take this the wrong way either." He quickly added a beat later, panicked at the realization he could have been inviting misunderstandings. "He's a good guy. Er, I'm not very good at this...maybe I should actually introduce you two?"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Shiori looks, if possible, more wound up than before after Kotetsu finishes her explanation, drawing in a breath as if to speak... then abruptly thinks better of it. He deflates, and a sad little smile appears just for a moment. "Oh, yes. Rest," he says with a hint of bitterness, his eyes far away.

He shakes himself once, the mithril shirt jingling against the warhammer, heavy wooden shield clattering in its place on his back. He glances fully over to Kotetsu and almost meets her eyes, his own pale grey eyes nearly free of cobwebs and phantoms. "So then, how does one cultivate 'inner resolve' during this 'rest'?" he asks, his voice taking on the cadence of formal, almost courtly politeness. He winces, once, hearing himself, and shrinks inwards again just a bit.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Pixie in the Playground

“Sounds interesting!” Keiji chuckles with enthusiasm, “I would love to meet them.”

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Alright. Er...follow me, I guess."

Tsugiharu turned, starting to soundlessly move towards Shiori and Kotetsu - then, he abruptly stopped, thought for a moment, and started moving again with intentionally loud steps (and presumably with Keiji in tow).

"Uh...hey." He greeted the duo.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, my father taught me some meditative techniques I can try to -- Oh."

Kotetsu takes a step back, appraising both Tsugiharu and his new friend, her silver eyes betraying nothing about how she might regard him... Well, except for one thing.

"And what theater troupe are you a part of? I've never seen a play mask like yours before, if you'll pardon my directness." She asks without a hint of malice; perhaps even a small bit of reverence or at least earnest wonder.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Pixie in the Playground

“As much as I appreciate the finer arts of theater I am not a member of an acting troupe. Nay this mask represents all that I am. It honors my ancestors and is a history of my victories,” Keiji says with his voice getting louder and pointing to his mask with both index fingers.

“No Luchador can fight on the fields of honor without one! And neither can I. For I am El Diablo Blanco!” Keiji continues, bringing both arms up to flex.

“But you may call me Keiji while we are here,” He finishes, relaxing his pose and lowering his voice. It wasn’t unusual to get questions about his mask and he tended to get enthusiastic when explaining.

"Its a pleasure to meet you."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Shiori's shield twitches instinctively at Tsugiharu's loud steps--if the possibly-unreal person wants to make himself known, it must be a trap--but grabbing onto the fleeting edges of his random burst of clarity, Shiori relaxes his arm and turns to greet the newcomers with a simple politicians smile--polite, noncommittal, betraying nothing. Then Keiji begins to speak.

By the time the enormous boy poses, Shiori is hiding behind his shield, his head shaking constantly back and forth. His shaking stops abruptly with the shift in tone, and he peeks over the rim of his shield. "The mask is your face; is underneath the mask-face a face-mask, or a face-face, or a mask-mask?" he asks, glancing once at Keiji's face before looking everywhere else. "I am awake. I am awake, right? 'Free time' didn't put me to sleep? I know when I'm sleeping, or I don't, or I should, but mask-face-masks are... I must be awake." He nods, jerkily, backing towards the nearest corner and crouching behind his shield. "Right?"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

It was then that the news arrived in the form of Shimizu from Class B dashing into the room and scurrying over to Saori. This wasn’t unusual - what with her being a friend of Saori’s and the two often hanging out.

“Hey! Have you heard the news!?” Shimizu opened, not at all quiet in her excitement.

“The Murakumo are recruiting!”

That caused an immediate stir. Most of the class turned to stare at Shimizu or rushed over to ask for details. That drew more of the class to gather ‘round. It was a bit for the cacophony to settle down and let her get the entire story out.

The Murakumo clan had announced that they would be holding a Trial open to any adepts of under twenty summers. Those adepts who pass the trial will have the opportunity to join the Murakumo and become a disciple. They may even join the storied Stormbringers!

The Murakumo have not shared anything about what the trial will be like, only that it will take place in two weeks. Applicants are not required to undergo the Trial alone - they’re allowed to bring other young adepts with them. If the applicant passes then their supporters will receive honors and rewards.

“Wait, so we can do it as a group?” wondered Nezu.

“I expect there's a section for applicants only. There has to be.” Tatsuya answered.

“Then why let people bring friends?”

“Maybe to make it more exciting?” Saori volunteered.

“My guess is it's to see if anyone is willing to back you” Satomi countered.

"Be... Becoming a Murakumo disciple means leaving your family, doesn't it?" Nari wondered, eyes downcast.

"Yeah, but it means joining the Stormbringers!"

Show
    Spoiler: Tsugiharu
    Show
    Thanks to the Kuroda’s spy network, you have in fact heard the news. Your mother had recently summoned you and shared it.

The chance to become a disciple of a Great Clan and have an opportunity to learn from them would surely draw many young adepts to attempt their trial. However, it was also a multi-layered lure. The Stormbringer’s unique combination of techniques require great speed and precision to such a degree that it is not an easy discipline to master. Of the adepts that pass the trial it may be only a few will be suitable for the Stormbringers. However, even those that are unsuited for the Murakumo’s core disciplines will have already proven some level of talent and already pledged fealty to the Murakumo. They’ll still be able to serve the clan and thereby bolster their forces.

The rest of it was just as carefully considered. Allowing the candidates to bring teammates and awarding them prizes if the candidate passes is a way of both offering the other clans honor and providing them an incentive to identify and put forth candidates. No clan would part with its rising stars, but the need to pass the trial to gain the rewards ensures that candidates have at least some level of skill. Likewise, they’re well aware of the possibility that other clans will use this as an opportunity to sneak spies into their clan. By only opening the trial to the younger generation they would gain young warriors whom they could keep watch over and mold into loyal servants.

But the Kuroda can play that game better than them. Once the trial is announced, we intend to offer our medics to assist with their trial and act as neutral observers. We expect them to reply that administering the trial is an internal matter and decline our offer.

“...which is where you come in. You will participate in the Murakumo’s trial. Not as a candidate yourself. You are to identify a suitable candidate at the academy. You will support them, see that they pass the trial, and cultivate a connection. And you will be on guard for any Dark Guild activity.”

Tsugiharu, gain a HP for your The Hidden Scalpel complication

Keiji, gain a HP for your Recognition complication. A Trial hosted by one of the Great Clan with the chance to earn recognition and rewards? That would be a fantastic venue to earn exactly that! And maybe a new decoration for your mask!

Kotetsu, gain a HP for points at the adventure
    Last edited by Dorni; 2023-02-14 at 09:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

“Great news indeed,” Keiji says with a grin, “I’ll need to see if anyone here is planning to apply and needs support.”