Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 282
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Seeing that the others seem to have their targets well in hand, Congming hesitates to act. There's no reason to do much when there are others to resolve things. However, on scanning the battlefield once more, he realizes that Shiori isn't dealing quite as much damage as the others.

    Congming moves west into Q10 and points a finger towards Worker 3.

    "Mighty brute, heed my call. Flex your might. Repel my foe."

    Sun’s Gleam - (1d20+6)[13] (touch) - (1d6+4)[10] - Trip Attempt - (1d20+11)[20]. If trip is successful, the ant is bull rushed with the same result.

    A flicker of light flies towards the ant from Congming's outstretched finger. Those paying close attention might have a brief glimpse of the flickering, ghostly visage of a heavily muscled, if somewhat overweight, warrior charging the ant with his shoulder lowered.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions:
    • Move: Q10
    • Free: Enhance maneuver (1 animus)
    • Standard: Dismiss vs Worker 3.

    Ongoing Effects
    Spoils of War – Allies within 30 feet heal 4 hp when they hit with an attack, 1/round. [Stance]
    Elemental Glyph (I) (Metal) – +1 to party's Natural AC [4 rounds]
    Maneuvers Animus
    Granted
    • Thought Shield - 1st
    • Psychogenic Shield - 1st
    • Sage Strike - 1st
    • Devouring Page - 2nd
    5 (+1/round)
    Options:
    • Enhance Maneuver
    • Increase DC
    • Elemental Glyph (I)
    Expended
    • Dismiss - 1st
    Withheld
    1. Brew Alchemy - 1st
    Granted: (1d1)[1]
    Last edited by Rizban; 2019-05-02 at 01:36 PM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    The soldier ant, already crippled by Tsugiharu's ambush moments ago, was fatally slow to react to Izuka's lightning quick strike. The blow took the ant square in the back and the creature's carapace gave way with an audible crack. The beast collapsed to the ground with its life blood pooling beneath it.

    No less fast than Izuka was Kotetsu, who drew her blade in a flash and punished the worker ant's lunge by carving an "X" in its thorax with the blink-and-you'll-miss-it speed of an iaijutsu practitioner - but the ant barely had time to stumble back in pain when Tsugiharu's chakram materialized out of nowhere to take it in the throat. The worker ant collapsed like a marionette whose strings had been cut.

    Meanwhile, Shiori stood her ground admirably against that ant the chose to charge her, even batting it back a little with her shield. The brief separation allowed Congming's overweight ghost warrior to tackle the ant, knocking it to the ground and away from the dreamwalker.

    But the ants weren't done yet. The remaining ant menacing Kotetsu rushed her again, mandible snapping. The other ant, meanwhile, regained its feet and threw itself at Shiori one more time.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Worker 2
    Move: -
    Standard: Attack Kotetsu with Bite: (1d20+1)[2]. On hit, (2d6+2)[5] Miss

    Worker 3
    Move: Stand
    Free: 5ft step to K22
    Standard: Attack Shiori with Bite: (1d20+1)[10]. On hit, (2d6+2)[12] Miss
    Map

    PCs are on Turn
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-02 at 06:34 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Undeterred by the difficulty of the last attempt, Kotetsu tries again to tumble away from the ant's pincers, as another arc of two too-quick blows mark their trail with an X at the monster's body.

    Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

    Acrobatics to tumble to 021 before using Mizuchi again: (1d20+11)[27]

    Attack 1: (1d20+7)[17] Damage: (1d8+2)[9] Skirmish:(1d6)[1]

    Attack 2: (1d20+7)[22] Damage: (1d8+2)[9] Skirmish:(1d6)[2]


    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    The farmboy shrugged.

    "Suppose so!"

    Wheeling about on a dime, he took off down the trail again, disappearing among the trees and vegetation. Whirling between the vines, he stumbled upon Shiori's brawl. Without a second thought, Adarata crashed the haft of his weapon across the shape of the ant. As he swung his weapon, tongues of static electricity coursed through it from his slowly-building speed.

    "You alright over here? It's Shiori, isn't it?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Ready a Manoeuvre - Static Strike.
    Move Action: Move 10 spaces to K21.
    Standard Action: Static Strike on Worker 3. Attack (1d20+6)[13] for (1d6+7)[8] bludgeoning damage.

    If this hits, I get to Bull Rush with +4 from Improved Bull Rush and +3 from Momentum. Bull Rush (1d20+10)[30]. I am choosing not to move with the defender (no movement left), so if it succeeds we both just move down one square.

    If the bull rush is successful, the Worker takes an additional 11 points of electric damage. In addition, the forced movement provokes an Attack of Opportunity from Shiori.

    Momentum: 3 (Maximum).
    Manoeuvres Readied: None.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    No, Shiori responds conversationally over the mental link, too busy staring at the glowing overweight warrior that appeared out of nowhere to notice the ant's jaws snapping an inch away from his head. He finally turns to look at the worker ant in front of him, his brow creasing in faint concentration.

    All right, make the ant more real, and then--wait, no, no, more real is bad, more real than us is bad, make it less real, and us more real--no, that's not right either, I can't make them more real, nobody's real anyways--or was everyone real? Oh, right; everyone's real but the ant. Okay. No, that doesn't seem right either-- caught in his own musings, Shiori sweeps his flail in a crushing blow at the side of the worker ant's head, his weapon humming with a disconcerting energy.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: Nah.

    Standard Action: Attack Worker #3 with Harmony-Shattering Strike. [roll]1d20+7[roll] Rolled a confirmed crit in the OOC. On a hit, Damage: (1d8+2)[6] Also, Will save DC 15 or for the next round Worker Ant #3 takes 1d6 more damage from all of Shiori's allies.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2019-05-02 at 10:02 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Yes! Two down, two left.

    Closing on the second worker, Tsugiharu bent his arm at a wierd angle before swiftly thrusting at the ant with a movement reminiscent of a striking snake.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: N14->N19
    Standard: Attack W2 with Hunting Serpent Blow. Heal (1d20+11)[19] vs AC to make it flat-footed, on a failure -2 to hit; attack at (@+2 for flanking) (1d20+9)[10], either +4 from BoN or -2, crit on 27+. On a hit:
    • Weaveblade (1d6+6)[12]
      If flat-footed:
    • Maneuver (1d6)[6]
    • BoN (1d6)[2]
    • DS (1d6)[6]

    for a total of piercing damage.
    Yay for nat 1s! Again.
    Swift: Switch to Leaping Spirit Stance

    Active effects
    Leaping Spirit Stance (+2 dodge AC, +2 Ref), Veiled Moon Style.

    Maneuvers
    Dimensional Strike
    Disturbing Blow
    Dizzying Venom Prana
    Hunting Serpent Blow
    Sting of the Asp
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-05-03 at 03:22 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Congming moves to M23 but makes no attack, as he has no meaningful attacks this round that won't also hit his allies.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions:
    • Move: move to M23

    Ongoing Effects
    Spoils of War – Allies within 30 feet heal 4 hp when they hit with an attack, 1/round. [Stance]
    Elemental Glyph (I) (Metal) – +1 to party's Natural AC [3 rounds]
    Maneuvers Animus
    Granted
    • Brew Alchemy - 1st
    • Thought Shield - 1st
    • Psychogenic Shield - 1st
    • Sage Strike - 1st
    • Devouring Page - 2nd
    6 (+1/round)
    Options:
    • Enhance Maneuver
    • Increase DC
    • Elemental Glyph (I)
    Expended
    • Dismiss - 1st
    Withheld
    • Recover Maneuvers and Reset
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    The ant menacing Kotetsu pulled away from Tsugiharu's snapping strike, but though the assassin's attack had been neatly evaded Kotetsu matched the ant move for move and tumbled ahead of the creature before lashing out with lighting-quick strikes of her own that carved deep cuts into the monster.

    The remaining ant, meanwhile, chittered loudly to its ally before diving away from its encirclement by Izuka and Shiori and took off running down the trail.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Worker 2
    Move: -
    Standard: Attack Kotetsu with Bite: (1d20+1)[16]. On hit, (2d6+2)[5]

    Worker 3
    Full Round: Withdraw: K22 > J22 > H22 > G23 > Follow trail to E37.
    Movement from J22 > H22 triggers AoO from Izuka. If this AoO hits, attack gains +1d6 damage from Harmony-Shattering Strike

    Map

    PCs are on Turn
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Ha!" Another swing went wide, and the ant escaped from Adarata's clutches - but for a moment. Checking over his shoulder to make sure everything was alright, he leapt from the bushes back onto the trail, and sprinted down it at the very same breakneck speed that he had come up. Again he brought his fighting stick down over the back of the monster with intent to finish it off.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action: Prepared and used Sudden Leap in the OOC.
    Full Action: Charge Worker 3. Attack (1d20+8)[24] for (1d6+7)[13] Bludgeoning damage. Izuka has -2 AC this turn.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    With a disappointed grimace at the ant dodging a perfectly aimed attack - though perhaps it was exactly because it had been perfectly aimed - Tusgiharu lunged to stab at the creature's throat, then flickered on the other side to match Kotetsu's highly mobile fighting style in case the attack was evaded again.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Standard: Attack W2 (@+2 for flanking) at (1d20+9)[12], crit on 27+. On a hit, (1d6+6)[12] piercing damage.
    Move: N19 > O21.

    Active effects
    Leaping Spirit Stance (+2 dodge AC, +2 Ref), Veiled Moon Style.

    Maneuvers
    Dimensional Strike
    Disturbing Blow
    Dizzying Venom Prana
    Hunting Serpent Blow
    Sting of the Asp
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-05-04 at 04:11 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori blinks in sudden surprise as the Worker Ant turns to flee, his flail hanging limply at his side. After a few moments, he shrugs and drifts over to where the last ant is still standing, sliding between a tree and Kotetsu until he is close enough to whip at the Worker Ants long, segmented legs with the heavy, barbed end of his flail. Things go so well when I'm awake... why do people sleep, again?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: Shift to O21.

    Standard Action: attack Worker 2 with a basic attack. (1d20+6)[10] On a hit, Damage: (1d8+2)[7]

    Also on a hit: Zeal activates again, giving everyone a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Kotetsu may be out of the trick that served her well so far, but she can still try to tumble, attempting to lunge ahead of the worker, before swinging one, hopeful, final strike between the eyes.

    Spoiler: ooc/rolls
    Show

    Okay, so lesse if tumble fails again: (1d20+11)[24] attempting to move to O19 so I can continue to flank

    Attack: (1d20+9)[10] Added 2 for flanking (1d8+2)[3](1d6)[2]

    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Izuka's staff came down on the fleeing ant's head with a sickening CRUNCH and partially caved it in. The ant dropped to the ground, its flight brought to an end.

    Meanwhile, Kotetsu, Tsugiharu and Shiori teamed up to swarm the remaining ant - but the ant's panicked flailing managed to keep the trio back and unable to land a solid hit.

    But while it may have succeeded in holding off the adepts for the moment, the ant wasn't entirely witless - even a cornered beast could sense when its end was near. The ant lunged one more time at Kotetsu, trying one final time to catch the swordswoman in its mandibles.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gongiang
    Move: -
    Standard: None. Gongiang carries no weapon and is not proficient in unarmed strikes. As such, he cannot initiate an attack without provoking an AoO. Per my rules, I will not expend any of his consumables.
    End of turn: No withheld maneuvers remain. Maneuvers reset. All Maneuvers become unexpended.
    Selected the following 3 granted maneuvers: Dismiss, Brew Alchemy, Devouring Page.
    Currently Withheld: Thought Shield, Psychogenic Shield, Sage Strike

    Worker 2
    Move: -
    Standard: Attack Kotetsu with Bite: (1d20+1)[21] Hit. Crit threat. Not confirmed. On hit, (2d6+2)[7] damage

    PCs are on turn
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-09 at 06:38 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    As the Worker Ant lunges at Kotetsu, an odd doubling occurs in everyone's vision. Superimposed over Kotetsu is Shiori's form, looking down at the Ant with an oddly terrible expression. A moment later, the sense of doubling increases again, just for a moment, though neither Kotetsu nor the doubled form of Shiori glaring down at the Worker Ant seem to change in any discernible way. "No harm to those I protect," Shiori's voice comes out of the doubled-vision's throat, despite the fact that the real Shiori standing next to Kotetsu has not even opened his mouth.

    The Ant's mandibles close over the doubled form of Shiori and Kotetsu; Kotetsu, instead of feeling it's crushing mandibles, instead feels a distant sort of pressure that quickly subsides. A moment later, the doubling subsides as well, and mandible-shaped bruises appear on Shiori's arms as he swings down his flail at the Worker Ant once more.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Immediate Action: Activate Fear the Reaper as a counter to the Ant's attack. Intimidate (DC 21): (1d20+10)[16] if it matches or beats the DC, the attack instead misses and the Worker Ant is Shaken for one round. Failed

    If the Intimidate fails, activating Martyrdom to take all 7 damage from Kotetsu and apply it to Shiori instead, and spending 2 Power Points to negate 6 Points of damage, knocking it down to 1 Damage done to Shiori.

    Move Action: None.

    Standard Action: Attack the Worker Ant with Shiori's flail. (1d20+6)[18] on a hit, Damage: (1d8+2)[9], and Zeal activates, giving everyone a +1 on their attack rolls this round.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2019-05-09 at 08:21 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    The ant hesitated just a moment as its jaws closed over the ghostly figure covering kotetsu, like it was biting into something that didn't taste right. That hesitation proved fatal. Shiroi's flail connected squarely, crushing the ant's chitin. The and collapsed to the ground and curled around the crushing wound, twitching a few times before it stilled.

    And like that, the skirmish was over.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Battle is over! Everyone gains 1 VP. Feel free to make any adjustments to your character sheets.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-10 at 07:42 AM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    That one ant had put up quite a resistance, dodging blow after blow...but it was, in the end, still an ant (and a worker at that), and it died like one. It almost felt anticlimatic (though it was probably the frustration of missing twice in a row speaking).

    And regardless, they dispatched all ants without anyone being injured (almost? Kinda? That thing Shiori did at the end was wierd. And Congming had done stuff, but had yet to pull out a weapon. ...the team was full of wierd), so it was good.

    "Well, this makes four out of five." Tsugiharu said, crouching down and starting to carve the ant's boy with surgical precision to extract the soul gem. "We make a good team."
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Well, that was interesting. Doesn't even seem that any of you were so much as scratched..."

    Congming looks to Shiori with a shrug. "Well, almost without a scratch. Looks like it's already better though," he says somewhat smugly as he indicates the insignificant damage Shiori took from that last ant bite as the faint blue glow fades away from it, revealing perfectly healed skin.

    With another shrug, Congming begins to loot the bodies, searching for any useful components.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Whichever of these are relevant.
    Craft-Alchemy - (1d20+11)[31] - Attempting to find/harvest any useful alchemical reagents.
    If needed:
    K-Demon Beasts - (1d20+9)[27]
    K-Nature - (1d20+3)[17]

    General loot checks.
    Search - (1d20+3)[22]
    Perception - (1d20+5)[6]
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "They're not all that much of a threat, I think."

    Izuka had made it back to the group with his prize, and he tossed it into their midst; the carcass from his kill.

    "We got a perfect catch, each of them slain. And we also have their game which they killed. So we can design some sort of trick where the carcass is made for bait."

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Kotetsu seems a bit perturbed that she came so close to being struck, and after gently sheathing her blade she runs a hand over her short-shorn hair in a sheepish motion.

    "I was careless back there; thank you for aiding me," she bows her head slightly towards Shiori, though she doesn't lower her eyes. She fidgets pensively; the ants are not stage mechanics or blocking dummies rigged to strike at her, these are very real and dangerous threats. Not that she voices this aloud but her body language seems to imply she's learning something today.

    "So... do we pry the part out of their corpse we need? Oh--if we're going to use that...animal as bait we'd best move it away from here lest more ants can smell their dead brethren."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Sensei said they eat their dead, too. But even if they have a keen smell, I'm not sure a single corpse will do much as bait..."

    But, of course, neither was he sure they weren't smart enough to suspect an ambush. And they'd have no control on the number of ants.

    "I don't know." Tsugiharu said, with a shake of the head. In a way, he was glad he hadn't proposed the bait idea back when he'd thought about it, since he'd be pointing down the holes in his own idea. "Does anyone have hunting experience? We'd need to find a good place, or it'd end up being a waste of time."
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-05-18 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Ants have Scent. Also wrong speech colour.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Producing a small flask from within his ring, Congming extracts acid from the glands of the solider, excited by the prospect of harvesting materials in the field.

    "Alternatively, we could just head towards a nest. There will be more ants near the nest for certain, and moving closer could speed things up quite a bit," offers Congming as he stares in the direction the ants were carrying their kill.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Led by Izkuka, tidying up the battlefield went smoothly. While some at the academy were already giving him a hard time for his origins, his experience outside the city walls proved useful here. The former farm boy arranged the fallen ants and their prize as one big smelly lure to draw in more ants, even cutting sections from the ants' foraged food and dragging it up and down the nearby trails to spread the scent further.

    The lure worked splendidly and the team was able to pick off several more foraging ants, drawn in to investigate the scent but fallen upon by the aspiring hunters. But this tactic had a limit, for whether it was due to growing wise to the trap or the area being hunted clean, fewer and fewer ants were drawn in as the day wore on. By midday, having totaled another dozen soul gems, the team was forced to concede they needed to move on to new hunting grounds.

    It didn't take them long to encounter more slain ants as they progressed deeper into the valley; apparently their fellow students had also been having success. It just meant they needed to keep going to find an untapped area. As they traveled clouds started to roll in; not the black ones promising thunder and fury, but the solid sheets that didn't promise rain but still hid the sun. They turned the already shady forest into something like twilight.

    It was Tsugiharu that heard it first. A thrashing in the underbrush behind the party. Some large animal was crashing through the forest somewhere behind them and to the side, drawing nearer. From the sound of it it would cross the trail somewhere behind them. One by one the others started to pick it up too. But something was off. Either it was really big and didn't care how much noise it made, or...

    "AAAAAHH!! HELP!! SOMEONE HELP!! AHHHHH!!!"

    ...it was another student.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-19 at 07:50 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori has drifted back and forth during the battles with the Ants, providing support whenever he can. He is simply astounded at their good fortune; everything seems to be going... well.

    A scream of terror, therefore, is much more in line with his prior expectations. Oh, there it is," he says with a sigh of resignation. He turns towards the screaming and crashing and begins to trudge in that direction. "No use trying to get away from it; it'll just follow us if we do," he continues offhandedly to the rest of the group.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to see if Shiori can learn anything more about the situation with the crashing student: (1d20+8)[22]
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Izuka wheels about and pauses, frozen in time until Shiori moves and speaks. Then he nods, wheels his staff from its sling, and barrels into the brush with his incredible strength.

    "Where are you, classmate?!"

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu didn't react immediately to the movements in the underbrush, to fool the ambusher into thinking it hadn't been detected yet - it soon became clear, however, that it was no ambush. The rational part of his mind told him that, not knowing what was chasing the student (surely it couldn't be a single ant), they should approach carefully, even if that meant arriving too late; on the other hand, how could he willingly leave someone to die, especially when there wasn't really anything preventing his intervention?

    Besides, the others were already on the move. Throwing caution to the wind - meaning, of course, trading some stealth for speed - he followed after Izuka, weaving from cover to cover and blinking through obstacles.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Activate Veiled Moon Style.
    Stealth (@-5 for full speed) (1d20+10)[19].
    Perception (1d20+10)[29].
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Kotetsu seems... oddly, almost disturbingly indifferent to the cries for help as her ears make an odd little twitching motion. Though it was a big outdoors place, she seems a little surprised at all that they didn't encounter any of the other students until now... And she's been trained to recognize stage cues. It may not reflect well on her, but her first inclination is to keep her guard up and suspect this is a trick...

    She takes a long, deep breath, "Boys, don't be too hasty. We need to form up to deal with this," she chides before attempting stealth herself.

    Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

    She may not be an actress but she knows alot of stories where the hero's journey has stumbling blocks or humiliations at the start:
    Sense Motive against the cries/set up to see if this is a trap- (1d20+8)[27]
    Also stealth in general: (1d20+10)[18]

    Maneuvers prepared:
    x2 Mizuchi
    Aerial Leap
    Crawling Ivy Strike
    Swift Stride
    Stance: Phantasmal Blade Stance
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Of course this was going to happen," sighs Congming. "I suppose we'd better get moving if we're going to intervene."

    He starts heading quickly in the direction of the noise at a slight angle to try to intercept them, only glancing over his shoulder once to see if anyone follows.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Alerted by their classmate's cries, it wasn't long before they caught glimpses of the fleeing student. Tanaka Nezu had been at least somewhat memorable during the past week, as he'd demonstrated a confidence bordering on arrogance with his bow. That attitude was nowhere in sight as he fled for his life through the underbrush, his modest shirt battered and torn in several places to reveal the armored shirt beneath - and blood in a few places the armor hadn't protected him.

    It took a few more moments to follow his line of sight back to the monster he fled from. There it was, gliding through the trees to latch on to the thick tree behind him and gathering itself to leap after its prey.

    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Izuka (1d20+3)[14]
    Tsugiharu(1d20+8)[17]
    Congming (1d20+1)[5]
    Kotetsu (1d20+4)[14]
    Shiori (1d20+3)[4]
    Nezu (1d20+4)[13]
    Monster (1d20+1)[7]

    Spoiler: Knowledge: Nature or Demon Beasts DC 15
    Show
    The creature known as a Hanyangi, and its considered quite dangerous. They're ferocious carnivores with powerful claws and sharp senses. Like the oversized bats they resemble, they have sensitive ears and noses and make up for their lack of eyes with both Scent and Blindsight (via constant echolocation). They also possess an ability to fire a concentrated burst of sound to temporarily stun their prey, although they need a few seconds between bursts. Although encountering one here is a bit strange, as they're generally known to dwell in caves.

    Spoiler: Knowledge: Nature or Demon Beasts DC 20
    Show
    In fact, its very unusual to encounter the Hanyangi above ground. Although it isn't impossible for them to come to the surface, they live in the cave complexes deep under the mountains. Its also unusual to encounter them alone, as they live in large groups - its one of the reasons they're considered so dangerous. A colony will consist of between 20-30 of the creatures. While they are known to hunt in family units, they will return to the colony to rest. And although this creature is about the same size as an adult man, Hanyangi adults are half again as tall as this one.


    Izuka, Tsugiharu, & Kotetsu are on Turn
    Map
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-06-11 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Adarata paused for just a moment when he heard Kotetsu. He looked at her with a furrowed brow.

    Then Naoko's screams took his attention again. As Izuka laid his eyes on the monstrosity in the woods, his hesitation was no more.

    "Another student is in all that danger!"

    His legs carried him even faster than before, and in no time Adarata found himself on the scene of the attack. His mighty running jump took him so far that he landed himself between his classmate and the beast, and he groaned.

    "What a monster."

    Gripping his weapon in both hands, he shouted a quick "Keep running!" over his shoulder and then reasserted his fighting stance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Prepare Leaping Dragon.
    Two Move Actions: Double Move, while drawing Quarterstaff, into T24.
    Swift Action: As per the OOC, Leaping Dragon into X27 (or W27 if the line has to be perfectly straight).
    Free Action: Apply Dodge to the monster.

    Manoeuvres Readied: Leaping Dragon.

    Current Stance: Outer Sphere Stance.
    Last edited by manwithaplan; 2019-05-20 at 10:29 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu's eye twitched at the sight of the monstrous, well, monster. He had no idea what it was, but since it resembled a bat, he had to assume it possessed some kind of echolocation - there was no real drawback to try to remain stealthy anyway, so he did, but he wasn't really confident it'd be meaningful. Blinking through the vegetation in front of him, he kept running...though really, compared to Adarata, it was like he was leisurely walking.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Movex2: H7>K10>M10>Q14. Stealth (@-5 for full speed) (1d20+10)[30].
    EEDIT: Just for the records, I forgot to specify it earlier but the weaveblade was already drawn. Not that it matters, since it could be drawn this round anyway.

    Active effects
    Body of the Night, Veiled Moon Style.

    Maneuvers
    Dimensional Strike
    Disturbing Blow
    Dizzying Venom Prana
    Hunting Serpent Blow
    Sting of the Asp
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-05-21 at 10:45 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •