New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Most humiliating PC death

I was just reading a discussion about Orcs when I remembered a extremely humiliating death by my first character.

Anyway so I figured I would ask what YOUR most humiliateing death was.

To start things off I'll tell you the above story.

It was my first D&D session ever.

My character was a human paladin named Jomas who used a Longsword and shield.

Our objective, go and wipe out a cave full of orcs for a reason I can't remember. Anyway so we fight our way past 4 orcs with little trouble. Then we see 2 orcs at a chokepoint only two sqaures wide. Naturally since we are the tanks me and the cleric move forward. Several rounds of misses on both sides follow. Then an orcs rolls a natural 20 when attacking me. He rolls a twelve x3. My paladin had 12 hp. You do the math. I was 5 years old at the time. If it weren't for DM making it so I was at -1 when I got upset I would have been saved even more humiliation. I got near death about five more times in that dungeon alone.
    Last edited by Lord; 2007-10-01 at 06:33 AM.
    : Proud Veteran Warrior of The Roy fan club.
    : Proud Member of the Redcloak fan club

These hands of mine have been dirty for a long time now Suzaku, your coming to face me now doesn't matter at all. Hell I welcome it even.
    I mean of course you and I are friends.
    {Begins laughing Maniacally as the city around him falls apart}

Lelouch Vi Brittania's reaction to a deaththreat from his best friend. Badass

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Most humiliating Player death

Somewhere else on the boards I wrote the story about a character whose fighter's mind got switched with that of a cursed sword. Then ended up spending the rest of his existence being used as a fire poker by a family of farmers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Most humiliating PC death

Oh yes now a days we kill anyone who's character dies...
    We also try to summon demons. Worship satan, and think we are our characters.
    Okay in all seriousness I made an error there.
    Last edited by Lord; 2007-10-01 at 06:32 AM.
    : Proud Veteran Warrior of The Roy fan club.
    : Proud Member of the Redcloak fan club

These hands of mine have been dirty for a long time now Suzaku, your coming to face me now doesn't matter at all. Hell I welcome it even.
    I mean of course you and I are friends.
    {Begins laughing Maniacally as the city around him falls apart}

Lelouch Vi Brittania's reaction to a deaththreat from his best friend. Badass

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Oh yes now a days we kill anyone who's character dies...
    We also try to summon demons. Worship satan, and think we are our characters.
    Okay in all seriousness I made an error there.
    You made a spelling error, and as a result accidentally worship Santa?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Killed by little monkeys throwing rocks.

It wasn't even my character, I was just a stand-in for the player who apparently couldn't make it that session.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

My mum likes to tell the story of her friend's character who was killed by some baby wolves, while the rest of the party stood around laughing at him because he couldn't handle baby wolves
    New Avatar by Dr. Bath. Many thanks

Spoiler
    Show

Ki-Glaivemaster by Quincunx

See the real Glaivemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    Greek Gorgons certainly did not look like big metal cows.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

We once killed another players kobold character by tieing him up in a bag and boiling him in a cauldron for trail rations.

Good times

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, here's the situation. The party:
    Me. A playful, annoying psion.
    A half-elf rogue.
    A half-orc barbarian.
    An evil dread necromancer (with a greatsword).
    A human paladin.
    An NPC bard I'd convinced to join us (I was his only friend in the world).
    There was also the caravan owner, and his assistant.

It was my second session ever. My character was useless, which I loved. He hadn't hit a single opponant and had concussed himself earlier in battle, jumping from one caravan to another...and hitting it (we had to protect the caravans). That night, I was on watch. I accidentally woke the necromancer. He wasn't happy. Now he needed another 8 hours sleep. I'm on watch. I eventually get bored. I grab an arrow, shoved it into the ground and yell out: ''Help! We're being attacked!''. The barbarian leaps up nearly knocking himself unconcious (he was under the caravan) and runs into the wilderness with his greataxe. The rouge goes back to sleep, as does the caravan owners assistant. The caravan owner comes out with a crossbow and questions me, the bard also comes out. The paladin didn't even wake up. The necro was really getting annoyed, he yelled at me for a bit (if you wake me one more time, for anything, so help me, etc.) and went back to bed. The others soon went back after nothing attacked us, although the barbarian got lost on the way back. The necro pitches his tent on top of the caravan and orders not to be woken.

The next morning...we get attacked. The paladin turns to me and says 'we'll need a spellcaster. Make sure he's ready.' and waits for the opponant to reach us. I go and start shaking him. The conversation is as follows:
    Quick, wake up!
    Huh? Wha-? You! What did I tell you?!
    We're being attacked! We need your help!
    I told you not to wake me.
    Come on, we-re be-...why are looking at me like that?
    I TOLD YOU NOT TO WAKE ME!!! *grabs greatsword*
    I ran, and got hit in the back with a greatsword...on a critical hit. Essentially chopping me in half. And so, the barbarian wanders in from the wilderness to see the necro, over my dead body (I had the sort of cute uselessness that the party loved) saying 'finnally!' and rages, and charges.
    The paladin uses detect evil on the necro, and also charges.
    The necro looks up and says 'no, wait, I can-'
    The rogue watches on, slightly amused.
    The bard silently cries.

And then we were attacked by a force meant to tax us to the limits...and our barbarian had used his rage, and we were two party members down already.

Great fun.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

4th level ranger is glued to a mimic. The barbarian rages, power attacks, and rolls an attack that misses the mimic by 1.

Thus, he hits the ranger, who was granting cover. Rolls for 18 damage, killing the ranger. It was described as chopping him in half, leaving the two halves dangling from the mimic.
    Last edited by kieza; 2007-10-01 at 01:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Our party's druid got attacked and killed by a badger.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

A couple of PC's from a campaign I was in once got trapped inside an extradimensional space after destroying Greyhawk.

They wouldn't age in that strange place, which resembled the white room from the matrix, and they wouldn't die. They had to spend the rest of eternity with each other. Not really a death, but humiliating nevertheless.
    I'm Bringing Shaky Back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to ben101 for the super-sexy avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble
    SexyOchreJelly - I want to get wobbly with your avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was my longest lived character ever at the time he was a lawfull good level 12 monk//swordsage of Desert wind (searing blades+FoB=Own) and he was part tof a resistance against a Hugely Massive Evil Empire (Our group calls them HMEE's for short). And hes single handedly sneaking out past midnight (the HMEE had a curfew of 8 o'clock) and he's investigating the death of a innocent family that was killed by one of the resistance's more "Radical" members (CE swordsage of Baby Eating [actually tiger claw]). Well I'm stopped by two guards and i promptly shadow jaunt away, but fearing the sfty of the resistance i decide to knock them out. I jump off a roof top onto one of them and hit him for nonleathal, MY FALLING DAMAGE KILLS HIM quickly KO the other one but at that time my presence had already been given away to the "agents of death" (swordsage psions who travel in packs of seven, using maximized ego whip to subdue you). Apperently killing/KO ing an officer is a serious crime and i attracted 2 packs or FOURTEEN AGENTS of course my monk had dump stated charisma so i was owned in the face, brainwashed, and used ass a boss fight later on .
    I'm the Official Monk Advocate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Excuse me while I invent a spell to scrub my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    If you play cheese, never complain when you are killed by it.
    Stuff:
    Force Adept

Magician

Proud Hobgoblin slayer of the Daigo Fanclub - So glad You found your Soul Mate!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

My first campaign at first level in greyhawk, I was trying to take the dead body off of an alter that was being used for a sacrifice, a zombie dog tripped me and a 1st level rouge cracked my head open with a hammer...Man that was humiliating...
    [

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

My first character was a monk, died at level 4 in a dungeon.

The room in the dungeon that we had arrived in had a river going through it. That would have been okay, except there was some sort of sea monster in the river.

So there we are, on one side of the river and a monster sitting in the water spraying acid or something at us. I didn't have any ranged weapons and the party was getting hosed, so I took a last-ditch effort: I jumped over and grappled the serpent. From a spectacular set of rolls, I successfully jumped and grappled, but then was crushed by the serpent's tail. I did distract the bugger long enough for my party to win.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As a party of 5th level adventurers, our cleric was killed in combat with the BBEG and then raised as a zombie to fight us. I, being a paladin, subsequently turned his zombie butt.
    Last edited by enderrocksonall; 2007-10-01 at 01:34 PM.
    http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=59017308

Help out a hungry vamp. Click on this please.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

My first (and only, at the moment) game ever. We'd just killed a couple of Yuan-Ti (I think), and entered a cave where the path would become too thin to walk on, so we jumped. I jumped last, and I was a cleric in heavy armour with no ranks in Jump - of course, I fell to my death instantly. Fortunately, the DM decided that I just about managed to grab on, because it would be unfair otherwise. Later, when we had to do more jumping, I was sane enough to make the Half-Ogre carry me rather than continue suicidal leaping.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Haha, I have to post again.

Our group was exploring a kobold lair when we came up upon a huge vertical shaft that stretched really deep, and really high. On the far end of the shaft (about 10 feet accross), a rope ladder dangled against the wall, leading up.

So our paladin decides to jump for it.

He makes the jump! But then the ladder gives way with barely any resistance and the paladin plummets to his death.

After marveling at the cleverness of the "decoy ladder", we double back and find the secret door that lead to the stairway leading to the top of the shaft!

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

The exact sequence of events has been forgotten over time, but it went something like this:

We were playing 2E and I had a low level wizard name Kael. He cast sleep on the group of gnolls and got them all! Yay us. I had actually rolled a Psuedodragon familiar and was really enjoying this character. Feeling rather pleased with my usefulness I sent my familiar over to finish off the sleeping gnolls. I forget the exact mechanics, but somehow one of the gnolls awoke while my familiar was trying to kill it and the gnoll got a surprise round, critted my familiar, and killed it. I failed my save and died too.

I'm actually still kinda bitter about that one.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Had a thirteenth level Paladin in 2E. Died in a random encounter with undead. Bad scene.

My favourite was my 12th level Wild Mage (also from 2E). He and one other party member are off to save Damsel X from Monster Y. We have to teleport. My PC's never been there.

Other PC: That Miss Chance is pretty rough.
    Me: It's like 5%. Come on! Live a little!

One roll later...

Dead. 50 feet underground. Bam.

After that I DM'd for a few years.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

20. - Top - End - #20

We were in a dragons lair, and the combat was going badly.

My elven enchanter, not having much luck punching through the Dragons SR, goes digging through its hoard and grabs a random vial. Next round he catches the edge of the dragons breath weapon, and is reduced to 5 hit points.

I figured... its in a vial, so its a potion. Potions contains spells, and who brews potions of Inflict Light Wounds, so I drank it.

And then died a horrible silent death, as the universal solvent disintegrated my throat.
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

21. - Top - End - #21

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bloodluster View Post
    My first campaign at first level in greyhawk, I was trying to take the dead body off of an alter that was being used for a sacrifice, a zombie dog tripped me and a 1st level rouge cracked my head open with a hammer...Man that was humiliating...
    You were killed by make-up? That is humiliating.

I had a cleric/magic-user (1e) that kickked butt as a spell caster but could never do well in melee. Despite having good stats, I just could never roll well for him. In one battle against an evil cult (arround level 8-9) I tried to melle 3 lower level cult members. I spent a about 2 rounds missing, then rolled a 1 on a save vs hold person and they promptly slit my throat. What should have been a cake-walk ended up in total defeat.
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

22. - Top - End - #22

I DM more than I play, but I once had a fighter run off the edge of a cliff.

Why? He assumed there was an invisible bridge, because the wizard they were fighting was "standing" (hovering, actually) on thin air in the middle of a cavern.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

i have 2 that i cant decide between, so ill tell you both:

one was in mutants and masterminds. i was playing as optimus prime, and everything is going pretty well. until the dm sends a level 20 multiplier after us. were level ten. AND they have piercing, thus piercing my armor and getting to my very small toughness save. i got hit with 20 picks. optimus prime was down for the count after that one, but because i got pissed off the DM said i could come back (Lord Tataraus, im talking to you).

the other one was in a dnd campaign hosted by my least favorite dm. i was a half-vampire warlock, who had very little patience with "mortals". at one point we were dealing with an incredibly stubborn town guard, so, in character, my warlock shoots a 1d6 eldritch blast at him. the dm, for some reason or other, declares me an enemy of the party at this point (he has a really loose grasp on how alignments work), and lets the barbarian kill me. he does 29 damage. i had 8 hp. theres a reason i hate him as a dm.

24. - Top - End - #24

Devil

This is for a friend of mine's monk...

We're in an abandoned temple of ilmater that has been taken over by an elder wyrm black dragon and a large young black dragon. A solar we rescued gets to fight elder wyrm and we (party level 10) gets to fight the youngling...

The setting is a large room filled with evenly spaced pillars that lead to a really high roof that is open in the middle.

The battle goes on smoothly and even until the monk decides to climb one of the pillars(natural 20). He subsequently jumps onto the dragon and (amazingly enough) grabs onto the dragon's neck, presumably to choke him(?)...the dragon takes flight, it goes high...higher...higher...it attacks the monk still dangling from his neck with two wing attacks and he loses consciousness. He falls and falls for a long time...in the mean time the druid summons a dire bat and goes to save the monk...on his way up he passes by the monk going down....he dives for the monk (my rogue claps out of excitement...only the pop corn was missing) misses him but gets him 30 feet off the ground. They land safely and we heal the monk back to consciousness.

Meanwhile the dragon comes back...the monk (guess what) climbs the same pillar again(natural 20...again) for 2 rounds!He then flying kicks the dragon and actually crits...crit+falling damage finishes off the dragon as well as the monk! Point was...dragon only had 10 hp left and would have fallen if the fighter so much as touched him

25. - Top - End - #25

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nobodylovesyou4 View Post
    the other one was in a dnd campaign hosted by my least favorite dm. i was a half-vampire warlock, who had very little patience with "mortals". at one point we were dealing with an incredibly stubborn town guard, so, in character, my warlock shoots a 1d6 eldritch blast at him. the dm, for some reason or other, declares me an enemy of the party at this point (he has a really loose grasp on how alignments work), and lets the barbarian kill me. he does 29 damage. i had 8 hp. theres a reason i hate him as a dm.

Wouldn't it really be up to the party to decide if they're your enemy? That aside, I'd be more peeved at the person who actually killed me (unless they had a good reason). I don't believe it's the DM's job to stop that unless it's an ongoing OOC problem. After all it's a player character not a DMPC right?
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I was killed by a cow.

Okay, I was killed *with* a cow.

*sigh*

Okay, I was *hit* with a cow... and died.

Party was guarding a bridge for some reason. It was getting pretty boring, and along came a wandering monster. A giant. Carrying a cow he had stolen from somewhere. My character, a cleric, gets a bit mouthy with the giant, so the giant swings his club to swat the annoying little prat. Except that he forgot his club at home, and what he had in his hand was the cow.

So my character is being a wiseass, and suddenly he gets a cow to the face.

A critical hit system was in place (this was a 2nd edition game, but this system worked much the same as 3.x crits, 20 gets you double damage or so), and the hit did enough damage to drop the cleric.

*sigh*
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

My invoker wizard was shooting fireballs at a group of kobolds armed with crossbows, with two of them loading a mini-balista (small enough to fit the room, and big enough to kill even the barbarian)
    I was a bit too trigger happy blowing kobolds up, when a pair of kobolds got lucky and decimated my few hit points with some critted bolts.
    The humiliating part? After I died, I checked my character sheet, and noticed that I had memorized Protection from Arrows
    After he got resurrected, he became a Blood Magus. One of my most fun characters.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Keep throwing Magic Stones, healer druid, I can take another hit".

Smacked to negative ten exactly next turn.

"Well, at least I still have chicken."
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

First post. But then again, I lurk a lot.

This wasn't actually me, but I was a big part of this fiasco. We were a level 4 party, not too high, but not bad either. I was playing a Sorcerer , going along the Draconic Feat style. We had a cleric, a fighter, a paladin and a rogue tiefling. Our ranger got killed because he went out to scout and got lost. Nevertheless, the place we were entering was a big big undead hosting hall. My familiar ended up finding the back entrance to the crypt, and we got a chance to bypass about 6 or 7 monsters thankfully.

So we go in, and we have a tough time with a couple of undead bugbears. We're all surviving, and we get a choice about which way we could go. Our whole point was so that we could pick up some ashes so a cleric could get a resurrection. Needless to say, we couldn't decide which way to go. There was either a doorway right next to us, or a long hallway. Our paladin and cleric were the classic crusader bunch and wanted to "scourge the evil" from the world. I decided it would be better to try and finish the damn crypt as soon as possible. This is partially due to the fact we had seen a rather large number of zombies and skeletons before.

I walk up to the door, and I knock on it. Yep, I was polite and knocked on a doorway in a crypt filled with undead stuff.

What opened to door way a rather evil/spellstitched ghoul. I also found out later he had an unknown amount of damage reduction. Behind the spellstitched ghoul were two evil cleric bastards, and a Necropolitan that was immune to turning.

I'm unsure on the exact details, but I believe the exact words that came out of my mouth at that time was "Oh S***" and I ended up getting smashed by the ghoul and due to some crazy spell flown back about 10 feet. I didn't die, but the fighter who was about to get healed by our cleric did cushioning my body.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Not my death but I caused it. My evil elf rogue/wizard and the rest of the party were in a cave. The bard (not evil just a bastard) had noticed something in one of the underground pools. Only the barbarian had ranks in swim so I bluffed into saying there was candy at the bottom of the lake (the barbarian was essentially Thog). Barbarian jumps in, drowns cos he was still wearing full armour, and I then proceded to obtain the item at the bottom of the lake with one of my spells (I forget which one). Me and the bard then stole all the barbarians stuff

My favourite part was the players face when he found out he'd just drowned trying to get an item that allows you to breathe underwater.
    God bless Belkar. Or best offer.

proud member of the girl-working-as-a-waitress-to-go-through-ninja-school fanclub