Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Death of Princess Maria 2 IC

The kingdom of Kha'Rest is quite silent in the morning. Its capital city, Jazi, is even more solemn. As you each wake up you can see guards walking around outside your window, placing a poster on every door and wall. You don't even need to read it to know what it says. It's been three days since Princess Maria was kidnapped and her father has been grieving since then. King Caineghis is a mighty and proud man but he is also well known for being a loving and doting father. The last three days have no doubt been a blitzkrieg of divinations, reconnaissance and other forms of information gathering in preparation for a rescue mission.

The posters soon draw crowds. Young men from all over the capital are eager to prove themselves as fine warriors or brave knights in order to impress Princess Maria, who is by far one of the most beautiful human maidens this kingdom has ever known. Her features, almost elf-like, are renowned for being able to bewitch any man who dares to gaze upon her lovely face.

Well, whatever is happening in the kingdom, it doesn't change the fact that you need to get out of bed at some point.

Spoiler: Important Spots in the City
    Show

The Palace of Jazi - Located in the center of town, it is a tribute to Kha'Rest's long and proud history of fine masonry. Dwarven men built this palace long ago and it has stood proudly ever since, never once falling to enemy hands. The current ruler is Caineghis I, a man whose long red hair has earned him the nickname The Lion of Jazi. He is a fair and just man who has always treated his subjects kindly and instituted a policy where the crown would pay for half of the upkeep of the city and its infrastructures, as opposed to the previous policies of paying for it entirely through taxation. This has led to the people of Kha'Rest becoming far wealthier than neighboring states, as they get to keep much more of their income. Support for the king has never been greater. He has two daughters, Maria and Amora, as well as a son, Prince Michael, who is a deadly fencer that acts as the current captain of Jazi's guard (a position he earned through years of working on the streets as a patrolman).

The Barracks - Here you can ask for the guard's assistance, or visit any prisoners as long as they are not deemed too dangerous. Prince Michael can often be found here as well.

The School - Fancy some scholarly learning? The school system in Jazi is a vocational institution that requires you to be at least 15 years of age before you begin taking classes. If you study here, you can gain bonuses on Profession checks and other types of skill checks related to your profession (approved by me, but the check bonus will increase as you level up provided you keep up with your studies, up to a +10 bonus!)

The Hierophant - Every city needs a tavern, and The Hierophant is a special kind of tavern. Run by the town's priesthood of Calistria, this place is where you can come to get a drink with your healing, or perhaps a blessing with your whores. The barkeeper is also the high priestess, Madame Volutia, though to every man in the city's distress, she sadly only has eyes for her female patrons.

The Merchant District - Your standard set of shops, including a blacksmith, an apothecary, a menagerie and a magic item shop. Each merchant has a name and a personality and can be interacted with on a deeper level than just a shopkeeper if you so choose. The maximum caster level of any item you can buy in Jazi is 8.

Spoiler: Poster
    Show

The poster reads: "To all citizens of Jazi: Please lend us your aid in rescuing our Princess! Come to the palace for details. Reward: The King will grant anyone who is directly responsible with the rescuing of his princess any wish that is within his power to grant."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Death of Princess Maria 2 IC

Lexara nearly jumped out of the bed hearing guard leaving posters around. This the day! She will prove herself, she will be a real hero! She runs to her get things. Everything already packed. Just cover yourself with a jacket and put the saddle on Moil and of we go! Lexara can hardly contain her excitement. This is a tragedy really, she should be worried about the princess. Yet she can't help herself, this just like in the fables. Maybe she will have to slain a big and mean dragon! Better not, doses are actually scary.
    Hi, I'm Greenflane or GF if you may. Here to play some games. My current passion project are two discord servers:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Up early, Lady Vivviane saddles Apacen. As she and Apacen start walking towards the Palace, she stops to read the new signage.

She gives a brief prayer for the young Princess's safety, and slowly makes her way to the royal seat.

Apacen preens in the many stares he draws. Not many Pellean Draconian Purebloods can be found outside of the ranks of Pellean Dragon Knights, and many people gaze at the large white warhorse in awe.
    Lord Havelock Vetinari Avatar by AlfredAmeoba.
    "A sense of terrifying admiration overcame him.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Malleus awoke, thanks to that incessant sunlight insisting itself so very rudely into his eyes. Judging by the angle, it was about an hour past dawn. He adjusted his glasses which had come partway off during the night, and somewhat groggily groomed himself for the day to come. He readied a couple of simple mixes for the day, and rolled himself one of his special "pick-me-up" cigarettes, placing it in the case right on the opening end -- where he knew to find it nearly without sight -- before packing his pack and wandering out into the day.

He'd given the matter a fair bit of thought. That the princess had gone missing was well-known enough, of course. The why, now, that was the interesting part. Money was the most likely reason -- as it is for most things -- but perhaps she'd run off with a particular lover, or joined some religious cult, or.... He'd run through about a dozen different chances, before dismissing them all. Yes, of course he'd go to the palace -- but it couldn't hurt to see what rumors were about. It was never good to go into a negotiation at an information disadvantage, after all.

He set off for the Hierophant -- a place of loose women as well as loose lips, though only the latter was of immediate interest -- to settle into a corner table, order himself a drink, light up a smoke, and cast his ear about the room for information. Once he'd satisfied himself properly that he'd gleaned all there was to glean, he set off, picking his way amongst the throng of preening schoolboys and muscled armor models to the palace gates.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Prepared a couple of spells for the day (leaving two slots open), as well as getting a mutagen ready, because I oughta do that.

May as well try to gather some information on the way to the palace: (1d20+9)[22] Diplomacy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The sun's harsh rays slap Morrigan awake in the early hour of the morning. Gazing out into the new day she realized how little sleep she had actually gotten, no more than 3 hours had passed since stumbling into the tavern. That is what happens when one tries to rush, it always catches up. Morrigan's eyes drift over the room landing on the large bird perched on her chair, the star within it glistening in the morning light. She couldn't tell if Cidolfus was awake, the osprey's eyes were impossible to see with out being an inch away. Quickly dressing, Morrigan left in the same messy state as she arrived.

Upon stepping out into the street the Sun's rays only seemed to assault her harder but the bright light revealed something new. A small poster hanging on the door she just left a missive from the king. "About time," Morrigan muttered aloud, her hand rising to try and stop the words from flowing out of her mouth. That wasn't appropriate she thought to herself.

A shrill whistle leaves morrigans mouth drawing the attention of people nearby. Moments later Cidolfus came flying out of a second story window landing down on her shoulder. Turning Morrigan started walking to the palace her shoulders slouching as she dreaded what was to come from this ordeal.

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler: Vivianne
    Show
    As Vivianne walks through the city she spots a young human with blonde hair holding a half-orc against a wall by his throat. The human's other hand holds a rapier which is pointed directly at the half-orc's snout. "Once more, with feeling: if you don't tell me what you know, I'm going to pierce your throat and then tie you up so you can't even struggle while you choke on your own blood!" the human threatens. His voice is so cold and angry that even hearing it, Vivianne can't help but shiver.

The half-orc speaks rapidly in Orcish and the human listens, growling before shoving the other man against the wall and letting him go. "Pathetic. I'm not going to waste my time with you. Be grateful that I have more important matters to attend to. Any other day and you'd be skewered right now." The human leaves the alley and starts walking ahead of Vivianne.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: Lexara
    Show

As Lexara makes her way through the city, she spots a strange sight indeed. An old human with one eye is moving down the street slowly. He wears a soft blue robe and hobbles along on a cane. The man supports his weak strides by keeping his free hand on his knee, steadying himself as he walks. The man stops in front of Lexara and he smiles, closing his good eye and speaking. His voice is soft, and Lexara can barely make it out, but his message is clear and it is jarring.

"Your future is quite bleak, my friend. Rarely have I ever felt such a strong aura of unluck as the one that comes from you. I don't even need to pull my tarot deck out to know that you are heading down a dangerous path. Forces outside your control may seek to harm you." The old man reaches into his robe and pulls out a deck of tarot cards which glow as he presents them to Lexara. "It is as I thought. Your aura is so strong, why, just take a look at my poor deck!"

The old man draws a hand of five cards and flips them over, revealing that they are all Death. "Sweetheart, if I were you, I'd at least take care not to get myself into anything too dangerous, lest you let fate get the better of you. If I'm still kicking, then you're far too young to die!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: Malleus
    Show
    Malleus enters The Hierophant, a quaint little place with lots of ...women?

He looks around to see humans, orcs, a few half-giants, and plenty of dwarves set up all over the place. All of them men. They're drinking, playing cards, feet on the table, just having a good time. It's clear that most of them aren't from around here, based on their clothes and accents. And Malleus quickly figures out what's going on as he canvases the room...they're all here to try and save the princess.

People have come from far and wide to respond to the king's proclamation..in such a short time! But a princess's ransom is enough for any man to retire on, he knew that much.

Madame Volutia, a tall and busty woman with black hair and a pink blouse, stands behind the counter. She is polishing a glass and frowning as she glances around the room.

When Malleus asks for a drink, she sets one in front of him. "Careful that you don't spill, dearie. There's not a lot of room to be alone in here right now."

Malleus starts walking back to his seat, and he has to duck out of the way as a dwarf and a half-orc go at it. The dwarf smacks the half-orc over the head. "Shut up, the lot o' ya! Ain't no one gonna rescue Maria but me and my boys. Got that? We've bested a wyvern and got away only losing one man. Tha's more than any o' you greens can claim."

He glances at Malleus. "And what in the Stone are you looking at, pipsqueak? Gotta problem with Mardon, Son of Greshor?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: Morrigan
    Show
    As Morrigan walks, she spies a tall human male with brown hair and polished white armor. He's issuing directives to a few guards. "We need to move quickly to secure the perimeter. Of all the times for this to happen, just a week before the zhe'tahl..."

His subordinates are visibly depressed by his words, and they hang their heads as they start to spread out.

The man turns his attention to Morrigan as she approaches. "Halt! Apologies, ma'am, but we are setting up a checkpoint. You may not approach the castle until your personal belongings have been searched. We apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you in advance for your cooperation."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Morrigan can make a Knowledge (Local) check here
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2019-04-05 at 07:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Madam, you have my word that I shall not spill a drop." Not that I can say the same for the rest of this bunch.

He sighed internally as the dwarf decided to mouth off, to him of all people. He took a moment to set down the drink at the table he'd intended to occupy, and then made a bit of a show of estimating the dwarf's height, bringing his hand against his own chest in a measuring contest. "So far, only in your apparent inability to estimate relative heights of individuals at a distance, and in your lack of social awareness for those that are simply trying to enjoy a proper drink. But neither of those is a terminal offense."

Staring down the dwarf, while making a point of checking the room for other potential adversaries, he "But if we're going to have a problem, Mardon, son of Greshor, I'd suggest you step outside. No sense sullying a perfectly good bar floor -- in the presence of a lady -- with blood, after all. Poor manners are no way to attract a princess."

8. - Top - End - #8

Apacen makes a menacing sound at the blonde youth as he passes, but Lady Vivianne ignores him. She dismounts and with a friendly smile and the unfocused gaze of the blind, she approaches the young half orc, palms out front in a calming gesture.

"Peace. I mean you no harm."

She briefly channels divine power, filling her waterskin with clean, fresh water.

"Please, have some of my water. Are you injured? Is everything well?"

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Create Water to fill the skin.
    Diplomacy to attempt to calm him down.
    (1d20+9)[19]

She'll look him over, looking for any obvious injuries.
    If he's injured, she'll cast cure light wounds, if he allows.

Apacen stands by, a dubious expression on his long face. He eyes the half orc suspiciously.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara stops consider what man said. She knew she was about to put herself in a lot of danger. Yet the possibility of death hasn't crossed her mind. She looks down at herself and reflects. Her jacket filled with deadly chemicals. Finally, she looks at the man and 5 cards he is holding. "I dance with death everyday old man. With that bad a luck I already have one leg in the, may as well do a backflip as I jump in". Lexara fakes confidence before ridding of.

She still moves to the place. Now slower and less excited. Thinking about the future. Perhaps she really shouldn't go through with the rescue. Still, she odds to at least hear out what the have to say before making a judgement.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rolling bluff to fake confidence (1d20+1)[19].
    Hi, I'm Greenflane or GF if you may. Here to play some games. My current passion project are two discord servers:

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler: Malleus
    Show
    Mardon, son of Greshor approaches the man with a frown. "Now you listen here, laddie, and listen good: there are three big groups gunning for this prize, along with all the troublesome freelancers. There's the city paladins, and if they were gonna do it we wouldn't be here by now. So obviously someone screwed something up. There's the southern witch and her little coven, who are busy at the palace right now. And then there's me and my men, honest miners who became powerful warriors after years of tollin' away in the dark! So unless you like missing your princess or havin' her die at the hands of some treasonous wretch, I suggest you start showin' me a bit more respect, aye?"

Show
    As she moves through the city, Lexara hears a rumor that the innkeeper of The Hierophant is a beautiful woman with eyes for her female guests. Intrigued, she diverts her attention and enters the bar. There, she finds the buxom priestess, along with a crowd of people. There are dwarves, men, orcs and others, all looking for a chance to rescue the princess. In the center of the room, a mouthy dwarf is squaring off against a human who looks like a blast of strong wind might knock him over.

Show
    The half-orc looks at her and takes a sip of water before he grumbles.

"Piss off, love. Offering charity to a criminal is how girls like you go missing, you know."

11. - Top - End - #11

Lady Vivianne smiles at the half-orc's grumbling.

"I'm sure Apacen here would agree with you, good sir," she said, patting Apacen's neck. "He's very protective of me."

"Though, speaking of missing women, it's time I continue on to the palace." Vivianne swings up onto Apacen's back with all the grace of an experienced rider.

"I am the Lady Vivianne Pelleas. The blessings of The Empress on you, stranger. Perhaps one day we shall meet again."

With that, Apacen turns, snorting his disapproval of the detour. Vivianne murmurs to the warhorse,"Peace, Apacen, there are no coincidences. The Empress chooses my path."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Morrigan is a little surprised that they put up a check point this far away. As morrigans pulls her shoulder back of she utters "By all means, search away," a begrudged tone hiding in her words. "I don't believe you will find anything illegal or threatening"

While the guards begin there search Morrigan lets out a soft whistle, calling Cid to her. The large bird lands on her shoulder rubbing its beak against her head. Quickly, Morrigan loses herself in pruning him as her sense of time sleeps away.

13. - Top - End - #13

Spoiler: Morrigan
    Show
    The man takes his time to search her bag and then nods and hands it back to her. "Once again, thank you for your cooperation in this matter, ma'am. We will not begin the official disarming process for another four days."

She's starting to think he isn't out here because of the princess...

Show
    Vivianne reaches the palace, where she finds a long line of people waiting to get in to see the king. She likely has a bit of time before she can enter. There is a woman wearing a suit of yellow armor holding up a wall by the entrance of the line. She has her hair pulled back into a dark ponytail and isn't looking at anyone.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, man are going to fight one another. This one doesn't even look like a fair fight. Thinking it will be over in a few seconds she manoeuvres around everyone else going over to the bar. She climbs on of the stools to stands on. Turning over to the bar keep. "That's quite a crowd. Are the all here because of the Princess?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Malleus stared down the dwarf. "Nothing wrong with mining, it's a perfectly noble profession." He took a long drag from his cigarette before blowing a smoke ring over the dwarf's head.

"I have to ask, what do you hope to gain from this little show of yours? As you said, I'm a pipsqueak, a troublesome freelancer, no threat at all to you or your quest. I don't know why my respect even matters to you.

"Or are you trying to prove something to your friends here? I think you're going about it all wrong, if so. No respect to be gained by beating up on someone weaker than you. And imagine if you lost a fight, to me, in front of all these people? That'd be enough to humiliate a man."
    Planting the seeds of failure in the foe's mind was a well practiced technique; it set the mind to places it shouldn't go, to places other than how to deal with the present.

"So unless you think I've got the princess stashed in my trousers, why don't you go get to work? That is, unless you like watching a pipsqueak troublesome freelancer steal your precious prize."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Not getting attention of Madame Volutia Lexara turn in her stool to watch a fight. Hearing wimp talk she gets a little intrigued. She leans against the counter knowing she is about to see a neat trick or some fool get shut down.

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler: Lexara and Malleus
    Show
    Mardon, son of Greshor hesitates, before lower his fist and turning around. "Tch...whatever then. Watch where you're walking next time, anyway."

He sits down to continue drinking with his buddies.

Madame Volutia gives an audible sigh of relief and smiles at the girl in front of her. "Welcome to The Hierophant, sweetie. Would you like a blessing? Or perhaps just here for pleasure?"

She can hear plenty of 'pleasure' through the thin walls. Seems like the tavern is busy today.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Did this thugs just got intimidated? Oh what a shame, she won't get to see a fight. However, her disappointment didn't last long as she hears womens voice. She places her hand on the counter, resting her body weight on them. She steps from one leg to another in excitement and that sets her hips in motion. She bites in on her lips. Is she really going to go through with that? Well, according to the old man she is as good as dead, so she might as well. "That's rather a forward offer. Luckily for you, that's why I'm here. Well, that and the princess situation. Could use to intel on that."

19. - Top - End - #19

Show
    Madame Volutia blinks in surprise. "'Forward'? ...Young lady, you do realize this is a brothel, right?" she asks, curious. "What do you want to know about the princess?"
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2019-04-07 at 12:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexaras face goes white then red in embarrassment. "Oh, I was thinking it would be more normal type of tavern" She looks back at the crowd, now slightly disgusted. "Anyways. First of all, the princess. Does anyone know what kidnapped her, fay? demons? a dragon?!"

21. - Top - End - #21

Show
    "It is a tavern, yes, but The Hierophant is primarily a temple to Calistria, the goddess of fertility, sex, and revenge," Madame Volutia explains patiently. "Therefore, the priestesses are all what we call 'sacred prostitutes', using their talents in the bedroom to help heal the wounded, nurture the faithful, and inspire generosity for the church's coffers."

"The king is supposed to have some information about the princess's whereabouts at this point. If you want to save her, you should go speak with him. Though I don't suggest going alone."

She smiles warmly. It seems the woman is genuinely concerned for Lexara's safety.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quickly downing his drink, spilling not a drop as promised, Malleus's ears perked up at the newcomer's questions. The dwarf had let a fair bit slip himself, of course -- there was going to be competition, and apparently most people regarded this as some sort of lark, the fools. But this -- this was pertinent information about to be had. He sidled quietly up to the bar, ostensibly to order another drink, but lingered nearby.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara smiles hearing about the exact nature of Hierophant. "That sounds quite lovely. I won't be going alone, Milly with being with me! Very well, I shell to see what the king has to say. Until then, I really could use a blessing. Especially taking into the account a massive risk I'm about to undertake". Near the end of the last sentence, Lexaras voice quiets down, and she mumbles a little. The grim reality of impending death making her shiver a little.

24. - Top - End - #24

Show
    Madame Volutia nods. "Then you may have this," she replies, placing an amulet on the table.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara takes it, putting it on immediately. "Thank you" She says, however, her voice is not one of joy. She turns around to jump on the stool, but then she turns around slamming her hand on the counter. "Ok, I'm going, to be honest with you. I came here because of lady love rumours and I don't know if I get a chance to return so would rather not go with getting some". She talks fast, filled with bolling storm of emotions.

26. - Top - End - #26

Show
    Madame Volutia raises an eyebrow, then laughs out loud. "My my! And I am the one who's forward?" She chuckles good-naturedly. "Young lady, heroism is all well and good, but I don't even know your name. It's certainly true that I have had some relations with a few female customers, but only after weeks of discussion and natural chemistry taking hold. I'm very sorry that you...got the wrong idea."

It looks like she's a bit upset about the implication that she just jumps into bed with any pretty girl who asks, but Lexara can tell she's blaming the rumor mill for that and not her.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara goes red in emberesmant. Not so loud! Then shakes her head looking down defeated. Why is she even doing this? "I didn't meant you specifically. You just explained service provided in this establishment. I am interested. Besides, if I succeed on my mission I got at least some odds of wooing the princess, right?". With that last sentence she smirks, rubbing her thump on her nose. Then she adds, a bit quieter and with note of sadness. "and should the worst come to happen. I would like to have done this at least once".

28. - Top - End - #28

Show
    "Ah, a service? Why didn't you say so? Please, enjoy..."

She collects a 2 gp fee and Lexara is led into the back room. A beautiful young elven woman with long brown hair and almond-shaped eyes approaches her. "May Calistria guide your way..."

Two hours later, Lexara returns to the tavern, feeling blessed. She gets a +1 luck bonus on all saving throws until she sleeps.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara was rather relieved to having to provide further explanation and was happy to pay.

Afterwards she head for the exit to jump back on her goat and gets back an the roud. She wasn't expecting to be doing that today. No regrets tho.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Malleus couldn't help but let out a brief belly laugh of his own, though a glance toward the little woman indicated he meant no malice behind it.

"Well, I suppose you're right, Madame, it's a poor place to be alone. Enjoy your 'blessing', little one -- perhaps I'll see you around. I'm off to apply for the job of troublesome freelancer."