New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default So about Daggerheart

I haven’t seen a blip of discussion here about the Daggerheart open beta. Observing that it is definitely one of the systems of all time, I am curious what others’ thoughts are on the playtest material.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: So about Daggerheart

We will be doing a playtest within the next month. I had a selection of four possibilities, my main players reviewed them, and we have selected the adventure. It's going to be an intrigue plot in the Underdark with minimal combat and hopefully a lot of roleplaying. I am currently writing it and we will schedule playing once I'm done.

We have been using the Daggerheart Nexus tool to create characters. It is a great tool - I would highly recommend it to anyone planning on creating a character.

As I said, we have no experience playing yet, but we do have experience with the character creation. Thus far, I am not a fan of the system, although I don't hate it. It has a long way to go to replace D&D even acknowledging all of D&D's flaws.

I like the classes - I think they've done a good job with them for the most part. The ancestries seem a little too all over the place - half are kind of normal fantasy, and half are cutesy animal species. I am worried about how experiences are going to play out - I think I will either need to be way too involved in them or some players are going to be much better at getting something out of them.

I could get into more detail, but a lot will have to wait until I have played.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I want to playtest it with my group. However, I'd have to figure out how to print them all out - I just have a crappy B&W printer.

Initial lookover -
    • Reading over it makes me want to become an editor. It's the world's longest quickstart guide, play examples, rulebook, and DM tips thrown into a blender.
    • The dueling metacurrency generation is a really cool concept that seems to be applied wildly and executed poorly. Hope doesn't seem to have a ton of uses and Fear seems to be unwieldy. I had just gone over the Hollows Playtest before that (a d20 roll-under modern system based loosely on the Bloodbourne video game) which had an incredibly clever Doom & Threat mechanics which fear could have been. Also, it seems to imply that each result should be independently narrated in either direction, which sounds exhausting.
    • The cards for the wizard look hilariously broken compared to the rest. I don't mind them having big effects (they are wizards, after all) OR more effects, but instead they had both. If I had to give suggestions, they should redo the book multispells kinda like the Charms or Commands from Magic: the Gathering - 3 decent effects per card that have a unifying theme, with some way to occasionally choose two.
    • I like the myriad of free actions. It'd be broken if it were turn-based with the unlimited number of free actions, but since everybody has an arbitrarily number of actions anyway, it doesn't feel that out of sorts. It does feel like some combinations have a bunch of free actions, while other just are bereft, but that might shake out while actually sitting down and using it in practice.
    • Speaking of Actions, the economy needs some balancing. If I'm reading it properly, if the party is facing any target with a resistance to a damage type, those who do mainly that damage type should... not take turns. If they succeed, they'll do a pittance; if they fail, they're handing fear to the GM - and either way, they're giving the GM an Action. Having the optimum strategy for those moments be "ask your group if you can get them something from the corner store" seems wildly unfun.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Shelving my more colorful commentary, my general impression of the playtest is “a thrown together apology letter for 5e D&D with improperly implemented reflections of other storytelling systems’ methods.”

Hope always being handed out is bad. With a static chance for any given roll to generate hope the game is all but telling players to only roll for stuff they are good at. Doing THING is better than not doing THING, and failure with fear is a double whammy that smells like a potential fringe % death spiral. If hope was only given out on failures and crits it would exert a damping force on the trajectory of play. Long strings of lucky rolls would naturally put the players against lots of fear without hope to help them, and runs of bad luck in the party would feed them hope to stabilize. It would also give low skill characters a reason to consider attempting a task, as they’d have a decent gamble at netting a hope.

With the turn passing to the GM on failure or fear, again we see a strong disincentive for trying anything outside your character’s specialty. “Do nothing, give the GM a chip and pass turn order for a coin flip at netting a hope? Aw bummer, failure with fear.” There’s also a fringe % positive feedback loop that can be entered if the GM lacks fear to interrupt, wherein players continuously roll successes with hope to the point that they kill some enemies and hand over so many action tokens. With a big pile of tokens, fewer monsters to activate, and no/negligible fear for interrupts, combat ends with a low ratio of monster actions taken to player tokens spent. On the other side there’s a death spiral wherein multiple failures with fear add up to a chain of uninterrupted monster actions with added nastiness.

The free for all of player action taking in combat is supremely ripe for sowing discord. Play by committee is inevitable, the value of all your possible actions isn’t just getting weighed against one another, it’s weighed against all the other characters.

Which does it want to be? A storytelling system or something a whit more tactical? “Sit down and shut up your character is a waste of actions” does not strike me as appealing for a general mode of play.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I know barely anything about this game, the only part that's stuck out is the attempt to disown player turns. Which seems to be what leads to Xervous's criticism above. I have no idea where this comes from or why anyone would think that's a particularly good way to do things in a tabletop roleplaying games. I would understand if they were trying to make a reflex-based or competitive game engine, but that doesn't seem to be case?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    I know barely anything about this game, the only part that's stuck out is the attempt to disown player turns. Which seems to be what leads to Xervous's criticism above. I have no idea where this comes from or why anyone would think that's a particularly good way to do things in a tabletop roleplaying games. I would understand if they were trying to make a reflex-based or competitive game engine, but that doesn't seem to be case?
    That take on action economy works from a specific perspective, and if the CR team are really the ones designing Daggerheart, or if "We want a game system that will be good to play on stream with a large group of players" is one of the primary concerns in the design space, it makes a lot of sense. Combat goes a lot faster, and is much better television, when PC's only go when they're in a position to make a major impact or do something cool, and a PC who isn't in such a position just doesn't take a turn. It's great for giving certain characters extra spotlight in a scene and not bogging things down with the entire group.

If you're viewing the system as a story generation tool, then this sort of action economy works quite well.

I don't know all the details, but I could also see it being fairly harmless in a low-pressure table. Give everybody a turn, and people are chill if their turn doesn't go well even if it would have been better for them to just not do anything.

It also works quite well if you've got a group of people experienced in improv storytelling who have a good instinct for passing focus around, or are okay with sitting back and just watching the show for a while.
    (Coincidentally, it also works quite well if you have a bunch of actors who are getting paid to show up and put on a good show, rather than a bunch of people trying to have fun for it's own sake)

If my understanding is correct however, the system is disastrously bad when approached with the same strategic mindset of a D&D game, where PC's are mechanically punished for taking a turn that produces more Fear for the GM. This means the strategic pressure on the group is to have any PC's not suited for the encounter just sit out and give their actions to the ones that are.
    Last edited by BRC; 2024-04-09 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I don’t consider it remotely valuable for generating stories in its current state when compared to other offerings out there. It’s a chaotic resolution method mostly bereft of features that might otherwise encourage the pursuit of tropes, themes and relevant genre conventions. At no point is the game coming along to ask “Do you want to try stopping the villain here? It would be very hard. But if you accept that he gets away because… burning orphanage needs to be saved, you get some meta currency.” Or “here’s a setback related to your backstory. You can either buy your way past it, or accept the scene and its consequences in exchange for getting some meta currency.” It’s mostly just a loose framework for randomness that’s all too frequently held back by trying to look like 5e D&D.

Something like Blades in the Dark is of comparable complexity, but there’s room for anyone to reasonably attempt most things. Furthermore the various playbooks include some powers that work at the narrative level, directly delivering on genre conventions, to say nothing of flashbacks.
    Last edited by Xervous; 2024-04-09 at 02:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    I don’t consider it remotely valuable for generating stories in its current state when compared to other offerings out there. It’s a chaotic resolution method mostly bereft of features that might otherwise encourage the pursuit of tropes, themes and relevant genre conventions. At no point is the game coming along to ask “Do you want to try stopping the villain here? It would be very hard. But if you accept that he gets away because… burning orphanage needs to be saved, you get some meta currency.” Or “here’s a setback related to your backstory. You can either buy your way past it, or accept the scene and its consequences in exchange for getting some meta currency.” It’s mostly just a loose framework for randomness that’s all too frequently held back by trying to look like 5e D&D.

Something like Blades in the Dark is of comparable complexity, but there’s room for anyone to reasonably attempt most things. Furthermore the various playbooks include some powers that work at the narrative level, directly delivering on genre conventions, to say nothing of flashbacks.
    I can't speak to the game as a whole, just that that's the logic I see behind the action system in particular.

I don't think it's good design, at least not for anything remotely rules heavy/ including any sort of real tactical combat subgame, but I can see why somebody might think it's a good idea.
    Last edited by BRC; 2024-04-09 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

It should be noted that in many streaming TTRPG shows, they don't go into author stance in front of the audience, so a system which encouraged or required doing so would be a bad fit. I think it does (although not uniquely, a lot of systems do this) support a style of:

1) The group collaborates between sessions on story direction, future developments, etc.
    2) At the table, they primarily stick to character-stance and maintain kayfabe that any plot development is arising organically from in-game events.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2024-04-09 at 07:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I had a cursory glance through the setting, characters and raced. I came away with the impression that it's basically a JAD (Just Another D&D clone). Which basically is of no interest to me. If I wanted to play something like D&D I'd play D&D.
    When I want to play a fantasy RPG that's not D&D I want something that is different to D&D, and has something interesting and unique to say. Some examples of games that would interest me in committing to a campaign include
    - Runequest
    - Lo5R
    - Conan
    - WFRP
    - Pendragon
    - Ars Magica

I'm probably not the core target market, but I'm not interested in a different way to play D$D.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I had a cursory glance through the setting, characters and raced. I came away with the impression that it's basically a JAD (Just Another D&D clone).
    Or as described some years ago "yet another heartbreaker"
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I had a cursory glance through the setting, characters and raced. I came away with the impression that it's basically a JAD (Just Another D&D clone). Which basically is of no interest to me. If I wanted to play something like D&D I'd play D&D.
    Yeah, it sprung from the OGL fiasco and a desire to make sure they had a way to avoid paying licensing fees I'd they tried to pull a 4e with the next edition's licence.

Honestly I gave up at 'at level five you'll have more cards than you can fit in your loadout'. My issue isn't with cards, both Paranoia and Savage Worlds make great use of cards as a gameplay mechanic (and I hear that Deadlands goes even further than SW), but I had no clue as to what the cards did or even if they mattered and this limitation theoretically won't show up for many sessions.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I took a quick flip through the book and it read as a system specifically designed to create good moments to WATCH. From an observer's perspective (specifically the type of observer who literally cheers when a Natural 20 is rolled, and cries in anguish when a 1 comes up, which is a distressing chunk of the people who started RPGs with 5e), the Hope/Fear mechanic is really interesting, and provides an almost math-less approach to the degrees of success and failure mechanics some other systems run with.

However it seemed that in their pursuit of a game designed to create Good Content (TM) the team forgot to make a game that was actually...fun to PLAY, not just watch.

There's a lot of rules light systems on the table (Godbound, Morkborg, etc.) and I would prefer to play just about any of 'em.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-04-09 at 07:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I like that there are no stats that everyone wants like Con or Dex in D&D. You have your class's attack or spellcasting stat and otherwise everything is about equally useful, so you aren't obliged to have a minimum in anything else.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm glad this thread got made because I've been wanting to talk about this, but wasn't sure anyone was interested.

Short version: I'm probably going to hold out for MCDM and Valiant as my D&D alternative.

Longer version: I watched a couple of videos on it (e.g. Insight Check) and I have three main problems with it.

1) Ability Checks: - I strongly dislike that nearly every check you call for will need 5 outcomes defined (Critical Success, Success With Hope, Success With Fear, Failure with Hope, Failure with Fear), especially when those results procedurally generate the world, like "you failed with fear when unlocking that door, turns out it was trapped!" And yes, I know the goal is for the players and DM to better collaborate on the story, e.g. "I hope I can pick the lock, but I'm afraid the patrol will catch us while I'm fiddling with it" and now the GM can run with that suggestion depending on how they roll but... maybe I didn't want the patrol to be near them to begin with, but they don't know that. Or maybe I'm planning to have them succeed regardless of their roll, but lower rolls will impose a complication or setback of some kind. I can see DH's system being great if you like a procedurally generated world, but a handcrafted one (even if said crafting is done as much by a module author as by me) is much more my style.

2) Damage Thresholds: - I understand the point behind them, Dagger Heart wants to de-abstract HP and make them much closer to being "meat," and so they use thresholds as a way of showing that certain classes as well as certain protections (like armor) give you higher thresholds and thus more incoming damage before you have to worry about your"meat." I can definitely see what they're going for and functionally it's not that different from just having a bunch of HP to chew through (minus the godawful armor repair thing), but it still feels fiddly and I much prefer the abstraction where I get to decide what HP loss represents in the fiction for a given character.

3) Initiative: - While I disagree with the last two, I can at least see where they were coming from or what they were trying to do. This one just baffles me, largely due to all the death spirals/feedback loops/perverse incentives it creates described by e.g. Xervous and BRC. And yes, I get that it's designed primarily as a system that's more fun to watch than play but here's the thing, lots of systems are more fun to watch than play. I'd probably be able to watch the CR folks or Dimension20 play Fate or GURPS or Shadowrun or WoD and be decently entertained. That doesn't mean I'd ever have a desire to shell out for those systems, nor that I think this approach is in any way superior to regular turn-based initiative (or MCDM's "pass the baton" initiative.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    If you're viewing the system as a story generation tool, then this sort of action economy works quite well.
    See, that doesn't seem to follow from anything. I've played a lot of story generation games, from freeform roleplaying to structured card-based games, and they almost invariably work better with clear turn order. The one positive effect you ascribe to the system - skipping over players who have nothing to contribute - is done exactly as well or better in a turn-based game by the player skipping or passing their turn.

17. - Top - End - #17

I find lacking a strict turn structure works just fine for me, and while I can't say how well it'd work in Daggerheart (having not yet read the system), it has worked fine in a lot of games like Blades in the Dark, Spire, or other various Apocalypse World derivatives like Masks. In fact, I tend to prefer it these days.

18. - Top - End - #18

RedKnightGirl

We're going to see a boom of games that started development during the OGL fiasco, and I think this one has a good chance of sticking around. Not because it looks particularly good or anything, but because if this is even halfway competent it's going to be able to coast on the goodwill from the recorded campaigns and cartoons that are Critical Role's actual product. This thing needs to be able to support making episodes the cast enjoy working on and not provoke major fan backlash, and if it can accomplish those two goals it basically doesn't matter how well it sells or catches on outside of Critical Role.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    We're going to see a boom of games that started development during the OGL fiasco, and I think this one has a good chance of sticking around. Not because it looks particularly good or anything, but because if this is even halfway competent it's going to be able to coast on the goodwill from the recorded campaigns and cartoons that are Critical Role's actual product. This thing needs to be able to support making episodes the cast enjoy working on and not provoke major fan backlash, and if it can accomplish those two goals it basically doesn't matter how well it sells or catches on outside of Critical Role.
    Game could be the worst TTRPG ever written and there would still be a large percentage of the CR fans willing to give them money for it.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Game could be the worst TTRPG ever written and there would still be a large percentage of the CR fans willing to give them money for it.
    Like most licensed games, really. "I don't know if the game is good/my style, but I'm a fan of the book/the series/the movie, so I bought it anyway" is something many of us did at some point.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-04-10 at 11:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    Like most licensed games, really. "I don't know if the game is good/my style, but I'm a fan of the book/the series/the movie, so I bought it anyway" is something many of us did at some point.
    I was really disappointed by the Doctor Who RPG, I wanted essentially a sourcebook for the Whoniverse.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

Honestly, to me it feels a bit .... like it doesn't have a clear game design philosophy. Instead, it feels a bit Kitchen sink and trying to take a bit from a lot of modern game systems/designs while also appealing to what people like about D&D. Doing none of it that well.

The final analysis is that this is just another Fantasy Heartbreaker.
    *This Space Available*

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    Instead, it feels a bit Kitchen sink and trying to take a bit from a lot of modern game systems/designs while also appealing to what people like about D&D. Doing none of it that well.

The final analysis is that this is just another Fantasy Heartbreaker.
    Great minds think alike.

While I tip my cap to Matt and the crew for how they are monetizing CR's success, I have not cared for his homebrew so I'll give this a pass as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    It's what got me to buy Iron Crown Enterprise's / Rolemaster Middle Earth stuff back in the day.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-04-10 at 01:33 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #24
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    I dunno about "boom" - depending on whether you count Candela Obscura I'd say there are about 4 with halfway decent brand recognition, and they're as likely to steal market share from each other as they are from WotC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I was really disappointed by the Doctor Who RPG, I wanted essentially a sourcebook for the Whoniverse.
    That reminds me, I've heard good things about the Alien/Aliens Horror TTRPG.

(How the heck would a Doctor Who TTRPG work? Are the players all companions who die horribly go on fun and totally safe adventures?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    (How the heck would a Doctor Who TTRPG work? Are the players all companions who die horribly go on fun and totally safe adventures?)
    That's one of the problems. The game offers some ways to dodge the issue (normal humans fumble into an abandoned TARDIS and get lost in time and space ; the Doctor disappears and the campaign will be about finding him ; UNIT/TORCHWOOD agents doing their job...) but the main playmode is that one of the players will play a completely overpowered Doctor, and the way the game tries to balance the situation (giving the Companions more hero-points so that they can get out of hairy situations and take the narrative focus) is simply not enough to compensate the way the Doctor player tends to dominate the game.

It has some nice stuff (I like the "talkers-doers-runners-fighters" initiative, the fate-like heropoint system or the fact that the lethality of combat -A Dalek will one-shot-you're-dead ANYBODY- really encourages diplomatic or creative non-fighty solutions), but on other points I find it kinda clunky and old-fashioned (I was really disappointed to find a "GM should just fudge" paragraph, instead of actual advice/rules on how to setup and run skilltests so you don't have to fudge to get out of an unwanted result)
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-04-11 at 02:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I did a quick glance at it when I was buying the stuff for Wrath and Glory (good game BTW, do recommend for anyone who's even vaguely into 40k) and it seemed very unappealing. Never been a big fan of when one character is the de facto main guy, even when it arises naturally.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

That's It has some nice stuff (I like the "talkers-doers-runners-fighters" initiative, the fate-like heropoint system or the fact that the lethality of combat -A Dalek will one-shot-you're-dead ANYBODY- really encourages diplomatic or creative non-fighty solutions), but on other points I find it kinda clunky and old-fashioned (I was really disappointed to find a "GM should just fudge" paragraph, instead of actual advice/rules on how to setup and run skilltests so you don't have to fudge to get out of an unwanted result)
    Honestly the only reason I'd use the system is because I might want to run Rocket Age and anything's better than 5e.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Yeah, I did a quick glance at it when I was buying the stuff for Wrath and Glory (good game BTW, do recommend for anyone who's even vaguely into 40k)
    Nah, skip it and pick up Imperium Maleficerum/Dark Heresy 3e: Not Just Inquisition instead

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

HalflingPirate

If any given combat is brief, I think the "stand back, I've got this" mechanic is fine. But I also think it might make sense to include options for players with the wrong damage type to contribute. If a character can debuff the enemy (Grapple, Shove Prone, or manipulate the environment), that's still helpful even if it's not dealing damage.

Though, not having read the rules, I'm curious: is the "can't contribute" issue because of the structure of the game, or is it because characters are built around a single gimmick that isn't relevant in this case? e.g. Is this a thing where all Fighters don't get to play, or a situation where Sword-o the Sword Guy can't contribute because doesn't do anything but Slashing damage in melee?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipjig View Post
    If any given combat is brief, I think the "stand back, I've got this" mechanic is fine. But I also think it might make sense to include options for players with the wrong damage type to contribute. If a character can debuff the enemy (Grapple, Shove Prone, or manipulate the environment), that's still helpful even if it's not dealing damage.

Though, not having read the rules, I'm curious: is the "can't contribute" issue because of the structure of the game, or is it because characters are built around a single gimmick that isn't relevant in this case? e.g. Is this a thing where all Fighters don't get to play, or a situation where Sword-o the Sword Guy can't contribute because doesn't do anything but Slashing damage in melee?
    In my reading the concern isn’t so much that certain characters are unable to contribute, it’s that they’re suboptimal choices for ‘who takes an action?’

The pool of options for actions spans the entire party. If you know the cleric provides the greatest contribution per action then you’re not going to have the fighter take actions until something changes to make that optimal.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

In my reading the concern isn’t so much that certain characters are unable to contribute, it’s that they’re suboptimal choices for ‘who takes an action?’

The pool of options for actions spans the entire party. If you know the cleric provides the greatest contribution per action then you’re not going to have the fighter take actions until something changes to make that optimal.
    Funnily/sadly enough this would likely interact *really* badly with the CR cast members' habits and play styles.