Show
    Linguistics
    (1d20+8)[13]
    Character Sheets: Zephyr Leornian

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Winds of Oblivion

Zeph's attempt at innuendo is muddled at best. Still, he gets the message across, no matter how conspicuously.

Kalinda looks thoughtful before pulling out a worn leather notebook and a simple pen. Looking back and forth between Zeph and Storms she shrugs, "What? You think we've never needed to send the ship a message before? We come ashore with frequency. This isn't the worst spot we've been in."

Abu actually cracks a smile and a small chuckle. "Oh, by the light. Do you remember that little town off the coast of Hermea?"

"No. And neither do you." Kalinda replies coldly. Even as she talks, she writes in the journal. After a few seconds, she closes the journal and stows the pen. "The Captain now knows about the trade deal and the supplies we'll need on the day of the exchange. I've also given him an update schedule. If we don't check in, he'll know to send help."

And just like that, Zeph remembers whom he's dealing with. An ancient organization with vast resources. A crew that has been through more danger and adventure than he's even read about. He reminds himself to ask his crewmates when he's stuck. They'll likely have something to help.

After several more uneventful hours, wherein a couple of villages with minor maladies come in to see the doctor, the group is led by Lucas to their humble accommodations. A wooden room with four beds and a single window looking out into the dark, stormy night.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2019-10-03 at 08:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Close the door, please." Zeph asks Storms as he starts unloading himself of anything conductive.

He sets his metal materials on the foot of his bed in an orderly pile. Next the casts Detect Magic inside the room, looking for any sorts of Alarms on the window or listening devices in the room.

He also looks carefully around the edges of the window for any obvious mechanical traps or switches.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+16)[22]

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Storms closes the door.

To Zeph's second sight, the room is blessedly mundane. The window latches from the inside, but is easily openable. There seem to be no traps or alarms.

Kalinda looks at what Zeph is discarding and gets a stoic and contemplative look. The doctors figures it out a moment later and looks aghast. "You can't be serious."

Kalinda stays his hand. "Let the man do what he's been hired to do. He's a diviner. Let him get us some more information."

5. - Top - End - #335

Zeph slowly and carefully opens the window to make as little sound as possible.

Zeph gives Kalinda a wink and a smile and flies out.

Spoiler: Fly check
    Show
    (1d20+17)[21]
    1 of 7 minutes used for his Fly SLA.

The humidity fogs up Zeph's glasses at first, he wipes them down quickly with his sleeve. Zeph flies through the storm, looking for the largest home. He figures the largest home will be the Mayor's house.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Zeph leaves the room in a flash, but is immediately surprised by the buffeting winds of the storm. He rights himself with some difficulty. He also does his best to keep the driving rain out of his eyes, but quickly realizes it to be a lost cause. Lightning flashes give him brief glimpses of illumination over the waterlogged town. He can see a few houses with illuminated windows, and a great many dark buildings. Looking as best he can through the driving rain and darkness, he scans for the Mayor's longhouse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception please.

7. - Top - End - #337

Perception:

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+16)[18]

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Zeph's magically enhanced glasses help him cut through the distracting storm and he spots a single illuminated window in a familiar long building toward the north side of town.

9. - Top - End - #339

Zeph makes his way north toward the window. The spell takes a long time to cast, he's going to need to get out of this storm to be successful. Surely one of these houses are unoccupied at the moment. He flies around, scouting for obvious signs of vacancy - perhaps an untended lawn/garden, or overgrowth of vegetation or lack of recent tracks around the main door.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+16)[30]
    Fly: (1d20+17)[28]
    Another minute off the fly timer: 2/7 used.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The north side of town seems to be more affluent, and there aren't any abandoned buildings close enough to the Mayor's house. There is, however, the church. The steeple bearing its bells should provide enough cover from the weather while simultaneously giving Zeph a fantastic lookout point.

11. - Top - End - #341

Eureka! Zeph thinks, flying as fast as he can. As he approaches the bell he makes sure to put a hand on it. Yes its dangerous to be touching such a conductive metal in this kind of a storm, but as he climbs down the bell tower he needs to keep his movements from vibrating the bell.

Spoiler: Stealth, just in case.
    Show

(1d20+4)[20]

Once in relative safety, he begins to cast his spell.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Zeph moves among the four cast bronze bells in relative silence, only eliciting a faint *tong* from a bell that he brushes past. The thunder rolling overhead makes the bells toll with the same faint hum. Once he has a good vantage point on the Mayor's illuminated window, he begins the casting. It's a lengthy and complicated process when compared to most spells, but, as his Divination professor at the Arcanamirium once said,

"We aren't base Evokers, looking to draw our wands first upon our enemies in a game of fireball tag. We are Diviners. Casting one's awareness into the etherial currents of spacetime shan't be rushed. It will happen when it happens and not a moment before."

Zeph raises a small horn to his ear as the spell clicks into place. With a rush of wind, he begins to hear the sounds coming from inside the Mayor's office, where the lamplight still burns.

The first voice he hears is Jayen's.

" - still don't understand why! Why can't we just -"

"I'm done discussing it. I said no." Alana, curt and hard; bearing none of the pleasantness she displayed earlier. "We have Lucas keeping an eye on them. It won't be an issue tonight. Now, we need to move on to the matter of the Doctor. He saw what I did for Clemm. He can't stay. He'll figure it out eventually, if he hasn't already. Thuvians are annoyingly clever."

"Accident? Maybe we can have him respond to a house call and *THUNDER* "

"That seems too direct, don't you think? We don't need him dead, just out of the equation, but I'll bet my braids he has an antidote for *THUNDER* dose him with."

"We could cut out his tongue?"

"By the stars, why didn't I think of that? You know, you really are the brains of this operation." Sarcastic and dry.

"Sorry . . ." a pause. *THUNDER* "Soooo, what do we do? We can't tell them the truth. They'll tell somebody."

"If my suspicions are correct, they'll do more than tell somebody. The boy wizard and the Nameless bear rings of the Order. The sword *THUNDER* the Taldan officer has the same sigil. Even money the Thuvian's a member too."

"The Order?!" Frightened, panicked even. "B-but we haven't done anything wrong! Why would they - "

"They'll kill us, love." Direct. Final. "They'll kill us and not even ask why. They'll burn the whole island to the ground. They'll kill every last sheep, sow salt into every last bit of dirt, break every rock if it means no one ever comes back to this island chain. Just because we're close. Just because we benefit from the *THUNDER*"

"T-they would? No. I mean, I know that's what he said but - "

"They would. I saw it in that woman's eyes. She's the killin' sort. You don't send folk like her to talk peace."

A long pause. *THUNDER*

"They don't know anything. Not for certain." Quavering. Hopeful.

"Not yet, but they might figure it out. Especially if the Doctor goes to check on Clemm in the morning. No, like I said. If we just kill them all, then their Captain will send more. It'll become an even bigger headache than it already is. Best thing we can do is stay calm, give them what they want, then let them leave on their merry way."

"And their boat? The magic . . . thing?"

"I already have Shyon looking at it. He wasn't happy about it, but I convinced him that it was in his best interest. He was able to piece together a pretty good copy of their crystal for them. We should be able to rig their original crystal to blow if we need it to. Should look like a mechanical error. They did say that their ship was damaged. Honestly, I'm no artificer. You'd have to ask him about the details. It's an insurance policy."

"Ok, so they *THUNDER*"

"Yes. I have names and samples for everyone except the Nameless One. He'll be more difficult to track, but not impossible. Take them on a tour of the logging camp tomorrow. That should keep them out of our hair for most of the day and keep them out of trouble."

"And if they refuse?"

"Do like you did today. Play the mean and surly card. The Wizard *THUNDER* in charge, but he's young and a pushover. Couldn't stop talking long enough to breathe much less think."

"Alright. And you - "

"I'll protect you from the big, mean Order, little brother. Don't you worry. They're dangerous, but we can avoid their eye if we play our cards right. We just need to be careful. Keep your wits. I love you."

"I love you too."

The sound of footsteps on wood planking. The creak of a hinge. The shutting of a door.

13. - Top - End - #343

Saranrae's Spheres!

Zeph's heart is racing as he uses his fly ability to lift off into mid air. Flying slowly, keeping quiet, he moves out of the bell tower, into the sky of the town proper, and heads back to their room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fly: (1d20+17)[19]
    Stealth: (1d20+4)[7]

[I]Think it over, don't panic! They know we're Order! No. No, they probably think we're Order of the Palatine Eye, not our true Order of the Oblivion's Eye. And the followers of Kelinahat could have something to fear from Palatine Eye. No they're not followers of Kelinahat. Jayen said that we can't be told the truth. Then whatever they are is afraid of the Palatine Eye. BUT WHAT IF THEY ARE TIED TO THE CULTISTS! Every time I ask the question about the sailors they dodged it! And they said they'r benefiting from SOMETHING.

And they specifically are targeting Abu because he saw what Alana did? What did he see that I didn't? Why didn't he say anything?

Mostly, Alana's content to keep us alive and unharmed (save Abu) if we're not a danger to them. Alana's being defensive, just like Jayen was. If we play along, take the tour, PLAY IGNORANT, and keep their food and drink out of Abu's hands, they might let us go freely.

They sabotaged the shuttle! Or they can? That was unclear. In any case, we can't take it without Throki looking at it. And they don't want to let us go. What a mess.

They took samples of us. Just to track, supposedly.
    [/I]

Zeph approaches the window of the room he's sharing with his crew. As he approaches he, holds a finger to his lips to make sure all stay quiet.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Retcon: You went too far in your action description. You have not yet made it back to the common house.

Zeph takes off from the bell tower, completely engrossed in his thoughts. He's flabbergasted. Shocked. Appalled! He forgets the night. Forgets the rain. Forgets the wind. The wind takes offense.

Shortly after he takes off, Zeph is slapped by a hand of god. A gust of wind the size and approximate weight of a Taldan frigate buffets him across the sky, sending him rolling and reeling back into the stone belfry. His back crashes against one of the bronze bells with a sharp *crack* and a horrifying *GONG*. His vision swims and he hovers in midair, dazed, for a perilous few seconds. Then, the shouts from below rouse him to move. Lanterns begin to light, and men's voices ring out in the storm. People begin to shout, and he hears the thudding of booted feet on wooden stairs.

15. - Top - End - #345

UP! UP UP UP!

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+17)[37]

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In Zeph's addled mind, he screams a single word: UP!

The wind coalesces around him in visible, tangible ropes. Like gossamer vines, it lifts him and points him to the lightning-streaked sky. The three-hundred-pound bronze bells begin to sway as the wind spirals around Zeph. Then, with a great blast of wind, he takes off into the storm. Behind him, he hears a curse as someone is thrown back down the belfry steps and the massive *KA-GONG . . . GONG . . . GONG . . . GONG . . .*. He faintly realises that his powerful takeoff rang all four massive bells like a festival day celebration.

But Zeph's mind isn't on the bells or the town below. His mind, his soul, is on the storm. Every inch of him stretches for sky. He spirals through the wind, no longer fighting it. Not even riding it. Dancing with it. Swaying with it. Wrapping it tightly in a lover's embrace. He moves instinctually through the storm, dodging air pockets the size of mountains, letting the rain streak past him in great sheets. He sees a flash and quicker than his mind can comprehend, he moves. Spinning, rolling, stretching ever higher. "Did I just dodge LIGHTNING?!" his mind briefly screams before being silenced by the deafening boom of the thunder. Like god's hammer, it beats through his skull. Vibrates through his bones. Sound so loud he can taste it. Still he stretches higher. So high he begins to feel the wet of his clothes freeze. So high his breath catches and tastes tinny on his tongue. He reaches for the heavens, clawing for them like a drowning man claws for the sweet kiss of the surface.

And in a silent instant, he's there. Hovering in pure silence. Hanging in the void. That silent womb where storm stretches below and stars stretch above, forever. He hangs there for no more than three seconds, but they feel like years. Decades. Eons. Zeph's thin breath hangs before him as its own tiny ice cloud. Then, he lets himself fall.

Turning headfirst, he pushes himself faster and faster into the maelstrom. He dives into the churning destruction and lets it swallow him whole. He races the rain. He wins. Moving with precision and grace impossible for anyone but a master Shory Windrider, Zeph spins through stables and market stalls. He skims the puddles and skates across rooftops. He's moving so fast, he's almost invisible. So gracefully, he looks like a part of the storm. When he finally makes it to the window of his room at The Third Land, he's almost sad that he has to stop.

17. - Top - End - #347

Spoiler
    Show
    That was beautiful. A work of art, truly.

Zeph comes to a stop, hovering outside the window. He lightly taps on it, with barely any more force than the raindrops themselves. With his other hand he holds his index finger to pursed lips, then motions for his crewmates to open the window.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Storms opens the window smoothly. Abu looks like he's seen a ghost. Kalinda looks furious.

In a harsh whisper, she lays into Zeph, "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!"

19. - Top - End - #349

"Towel" is all Zeph says whispering, as he starts taking off his clothes, skivvies and all. Survival is trumping modesty at the moment. "If Lucas comes here to check on us, and I'm wet..." Zeph drops his wet clothes into his bag of holding. He takes the pillow case off his bed and starts drying off his hair and whatever else the case will absorb from the rest of his body. He stops moving every second to listen for footsteps coming up.

Once dry, he wraps a sheet around his waist to regain modesty.

His next task is to get out his paper and a pen so they can communicate further.

"What did you see when Alana healed the drowned man?" Zeph quickly writes on the paper and points to Abu furiously, handing him the paper and pen.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kalinda, still sour-faced, begins to help Zeph disrobe and dry off. She points to Storms and the Doctor. "Disrobe, now! If Zeph is the only one naked and in bed, it'll look amiss."

She begins to pull off her jacket, breeches, and boots, leaving herself in scant smallclothes.

Abu is shocked by Zeph's accusation, and even more shocked by Zeph's sudden nudity, "N-nothing! He was, as I said, slightly hypothermic with mild contusions. Nothing more! Why?!"

21. - Top - End - #351

Zeph's eyes go wide as Abu begins to talk he waves his hands in the air, then hastily writes "QUIET!" on the paper.

Zeph listens for footsteps for a second, hears nothing but his heart pounding and the storm, then begins to write out a full explanation of what he found (quickly, in shorthand).

"They're terrified of us. Terrified that we'll discover their secret and kill them, raze whole town for it. They recognize us as anOrder...but it could just be P's Eye. Don'tknow what the secret is. Some kind of benefitfrom a source.

She's brains, he follows. She knowsyou saw something in how she healed him. They WILLpoison you. Drink or eat nothing from them.

They are working on sabotaging our shuttle. If we try to leave, and they suspect we know their secret, it will explode.

She said she's wants us to get out of town and leave them alone. If we play nice and along, we'll be safe. But she is also certain you will discover their secret. Not clear of her intent for you.

Have our saliva samples from drinking to track us (not Storms).

Commotion = bad wind gust threw me into church bell. Back not broken.
    "

He holds the paper out for others to read, or passes it along for each one to read individually.
    Last edited by Pent; 2019-10-04 at 01:06 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Abu, Storms, and Kalinda all read the paper. Before anyone can respond, lantern light shines under the door and at the bedroom window. Quick as ghosts, the four jump into their beds, Kalinda stashing the message beneath the sheets. Quietly and slowly, the door swings open. It doesn't creak. The hinges must be well-oiled. The lamp light obscures the face that peers into the room, but Zeph and Storms have their suspicions.

For the rest of the night, lamp light occasionally appears at the window and door. Every few hours, someone opens the door to check on the adventurers. After a fitful sleep, and a sputtering storm, dawn breaks.

23. - Top - End - #353

Zeph wakes, pulls his wet clothes out of his bag of holding and sets them along the bed rails to dry.

He retrieves his spell books, skits cross-legged on his bed and studies them, preparing his spells.

He casts Prestidigitation liberally to dry, clean, and de-wrinkle his clothes from last night. He also makes sure there are no wet spots on the floor under the window.

His first question when Kalinda wakes is to get the piece of paper back from her. It needs to be destroyed immediately.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Storms dresses and harnesses on his armor. This trip is getting very interesting.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kalinda assures Zeph that she has already destroyed the paper, having torn and slowly eaten it in the night.

Lucas welcomes the group to a breakfast of hearty oats, sheep's milk cheese, mutton sausage, and honey. Strong tea is offered to fight the damp cold covering the island this morning. The common house is surprisingly busy for breakfast, and the adventurers are able to hear widespread talk about a demon wind spirit terrorizing the town last night during the storm.

26. - Top - End - #356

Zeph eyes Abu's plate of sausage and cheese, as well as his small bowl of oats warily.

He casts Detect Poison on them as subtly as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+4)[16]
    Wisdom check to ID poison (1d20+1)[21]

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Zeph's eyes very briefly flash with the shine of ionizing lighting, but he's able to hide the effect from the folk nearby.

The food presented in front of Abu bears no poison. The strong tea reveals the presence of a mild stimulant that Zeph identifies as garden variety caffeine.

28. - Top - End - #358

Zeph makes eye contact with Abu, smiles, and digs into his own meal.

"I think," he says between mouthfuls, "we're going to enjoy a lovely time today at the expense of our hosts. If all the meals are as delicious as this one I think we'll have a decent, but hopefully, dull, day."

Because I don't think they're going to let us go. But how to further investigate this place? How to find out if they are associated with our cult?

Zeph feigning sickness and hiding out from the lumberyard tour might be too obvious. Then when he goes to sneak around he'd surely find another way to slip up. Zeph winces at the thought.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Storms eats hearty, stuffing himself with delicious cheese and sausage.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Zeph notices a slight upturn in the corner of Lucas's mouth, even though he's across the room. He's listening.

Doctor al-Aruni and Ms. Waycrest both tuck into their meals once Zeph give the all-clear.

Almost as soon as the last bite is taken, they're approached by a young man. Wiry, with ruddy cheeks and curly brown hair, they recognize him as Rolland, the talkative young man who had helped escort them to the Mayor's house yesterday. "Jayen says I'm ta take you ta see tha lumber yard. So's you can 'check on your investment'". He loads the quoted statement with an amount of disdain only achievable by a young man with better things to do. "Sooo . . . whenever you're ready."