New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Music Suggestions?

Hello Playground,

I am a classic rock/metal fan and I have reached a point where I am running out of new bands to try. I keep getting bored, or just not coming up with any names that I've heard of that interest me.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

(For reference, my current favorite artists are the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Queen, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath. The other bands on my playlist are listed below, for those who care.)

Spoiler: Everything on my playlist.
    Show
    AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Billy Joel, Black Sabbath, Creedence Clearwater Revival, David Bowie, Dio, Elton John, Guns n' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Motorhead, Nirvana, Ozzy Osbourne, Pink Floyd, Queen, the Beatles, the Cars, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Twisted Sister, Van Halen

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Music Suggestions?

You can't go wrong with just about anything Slash has done in recent years.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

From that list...if you're not keen on expanding your genres. Look at Greta Van Fleet. Their latest album left me fairly lukewarm but their fist has some real bangers on it. Black Smoke Rising is really fun. It's got a very Heart meets Rush feel. Probably my favorite. Highway Tune and Safari Song are both really solid choices as well. They sound very much like Led Zepplin in those songs. That may be their appeal or it may turn you off. Their other stuff doesn't sound quite as Zepplin-y.

I don't see Tool on that list. That's a real shame. Sober, The Pot, 46 &2, Schism (Which has one of my favorite bass lines ever), and Jambi are exceptional. If you like any of those, give more a listen.

Wagekki Band may be a bit strange, especially if you're not into non-English singing but they're a Japanese Folk Rock band. I love them. They did a lot of covers of Vocalaid songs in their early work. Senbonzakura is probably their most famous.

We're going to get into some outside the genre bids now.

The Proto-Men are a rock opera inspired by Megaman. Their first album is lo-fi rock and electronic stuff. It's a masterclass in no uncertain terms from a technical point. Their second album goes from riffy southern style guitar and country all the way to swing and the hardcore late 70's John Melancamp/Springsteen sound. It too is a wild ride and I'd recommend both to anyone who'll listen to me rant about it for the hours and hours I probably could.

I am a big fan of Mumford and Sons. A bit more on the folky side of things but their music is usually earnest and heartfelt if nothing more. I don't really have any songs that leap out at me to start on. Babel and Ditmas are probably the most easily digestible if you're not a fan of their kind of stuff to start with.

I could go on for a long time. If you're interested I can give you more. I imagine this is more than you were expecting already and there are bound to be more posts incoming. I've been listening to a lot of Lord Huron (because I always am), Tow'rs, and Two Door Cinema Club currently but none of those are rock.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The Yardbirds

Spoiler: Performing "Stroll On"
    Show

- your welcome
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I don't see Tool on that list. That's a real shame.
    I disagree; most of the bands on that list are melodic, which is a word I'd never use to describe Tool. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and UFO seem like they'd be better fits, but old as they are I'd be surprised if OP hasn't heard them already. Their newer stuff is still pretty amazing though (for Maiden and Priest, at least; I haven't kept up with UFO. Come to think of it, I should...).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-11 at 09:50 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Rival Sons is worth checking out IMO. They reminded me of Aerosmith when I first heard them

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The Small Faces

Spoiler: Performing "Tin Soldier"
    Show

- your welcome

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

You've probably tried Eric Clapton and Cream but if not try 'Layla'. Dire straits of course. And maybe Eric Johnson, try 'Cliffs of Dover'.
    If you like acoustic guitar try Laurence Juber.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Happygiraffe View Post
    And maybe Eric Johnson, try 'Cliffs of Dover'.
    You can't pull that out without segueing to Joe Satriani. 3 songs I'd recommend for checking out his style:

Spoiler: Satch Boogie isn't good most complex or fastest, but it's a good intro to his skill
    Show

Super Colossal for something a bit slower, and Crowd Chant is just plain fun.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-11 at 11:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

My mom to my dad: "I bet you can't sing one song, and know all the words."
    My dad: *Sings Happy Birthday*

Everyone knows the words to Happy Birthday. Make it your jam!
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-04-12 at 07:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I disagree; most of the bands on that list are melodic, which is a word I'd never use to describe Tool. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and UFO seem like they'd be better fits, but old as they are I'd be surprised if OP hasn't heard them already. Their newer stuff is still pretty amazing though (for Maiden and Priest, at least; I haven't kept up with UFO. Come to think of it, I should...).
    It's not a word I'd use for Nirvana who made grunge and distortion mainstream or Black Sabbath. Tool also has plenty of melodic songs.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The MC5

Spoiler: Performing "Kick Out The Jams"
    Show

If you don't know of the MC5, they were a Detroit band first recorded in 1965 who were hugely influential on what post 1976 came to be called "punk rock" (a term that was first published AFAIK on the liner notes of the 1972 "Nuggets" compilation album which had tracks by such groups as the Electric Prunes and The Seeds)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you're into Black Sabbath you might dig some of the other early doom metal pioneers like Pentagram or Saint Vitus. Unfortunately I don't really know any other bands in that milieu since I prefer the more extreme variants of doom, but there's a ton of old bands with that early Black Sabbath sound (and a ton of new ones that are dedicated to aping that sound).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    It's not a word I'd use for Nirvana who made grunge and distortion mainstream or Black Sabbath. Tool also has plenty of melodic songs.
    If they do, then I simply heard enough to know I didn't like them before I hit the melodic ones.

Also why i said "most" and not "all." For instance, I love Black Sabbath but hate Nirvana. Taste is funny.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

How about Sabaton, Nightwish or Blind Guardian ?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreenSorcererElf

How do you feel about Pearl Jam? Does a less grunge-y version of them sound appealing? Here's some of the Tragically Hip's varied output.

The Tragically Hip - An Inch an Hour

The Tragically Hip - New Orleans is Sinking (Live, Woodstock '99)

The Tragically Hip - Boots and Hearts

The Tragically Hip - Highway Girl (live, double suicide version)

Very much a bluesy rock'n'roll band, not metal. But I came to them via the Who, which I saw on your list, so maybe you'll dig it. They have an INSANE amount of output, some REALLY GOOD live albums... they're in the Order of Canada...

Sadly the leader singer passed away somewhat recently after a lengthy battle with cancer. Which still somehow tears me up, dang.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    The MC5

Spoiler: Performing "Kick Out The Jams"
    Show

If you don't know of the MC5, they were a Detroit band first recorded in 1965 who were hugely influential on what post 1976 came to be called "punk rock" (a term that was first published AFAIK on the liner notes of the 1972 "Nuggets" compilation album which had tracks by such groups as the Electric Prunes and The Seeds)

Seconded. Also, if yer not down with The Cult, Gaius, you should check em out.

Blue Oyster Cult - Astronomy

Although their version of Kick Out the Jams is strictly inferior. ;)
    Last edited by Otomodachi; 2019-04-12 at 12:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I see no Rush on your list. That needs to be rectified. Either "Moving Pictures" or "Clockwork Angels" would be a good place to start.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Recorded in 1978 (so more modern than my previous recomendations) another band from Detroit:

Sonic's Rendezvous Band

Spoiler: performing "City Slang"
    Show

enjoy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Classic rock/metal? You cannot forget the fathers of metal: The Kinks !

My favorite great band of that era is Jethro Tull: classic, hard rock, with blues or folk to break up the monotony. Very under rated.

"We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueWizardGirl

My tastes in music also began in the sphere of Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc.

Arena rock bands like Styx, Boston, Queen are in that vein as well so if you haven't looked into them I encourage you to do so.

My very favorite bands from that era were the proggy ones, like Rush and especially Yes. Also, you simply must listen to Pink Floyd at some point.

These post-rock ones might be less relevant to you, but it's my favorite type of rock: This Will Destroy You; Mogwai; Explosions in the Sky; Do Make Say Think, and of course the genre's terrifying pioneers, "Godspeed You! Black Emperor".

Do Make Say Think made my very favorite song ever. (This gives you an idea how much we have departed from rock. These post-rock suggestions are long shots. But I think you'll probably enjoy the other bands I mentioned.)

I can give specific song or album for these bands on request.

Oh, and I second the recommendation of Tool. They really live up to their name; their songs help me with my inner conflict a good deal of time. I know it sounds cliché but if you pay attention to the lyrics you'll understand.
    Last edited by Aveline; 2019-04-13 at 12:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

For the bands of the late 70's to early 80's, I would recommend bands like Boston, Kansas, Mountian, Ram Jam, Fleetwood Mac and Eric Clapton. Since you have listed Nirvana consider other Grunge bands like Alice In Chains or Sound Guarden. From that same period there is also acts like Tool or Deftones. Metal bands well there is always Megadeath and Metallica. More modern times you really can't go wrong with acts like A Perfect Circle, Van Canto, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Delain and the Regretts.

If you don't mind bands that sing in other languages there is a metal band from France call Elyose that is pretty decent, X Japan is a tried and true act and a more unusual group is Baby Metal (JPOP and Metal combined). From the Ukraine you have Jinjer, and from Russia is the Slot (СЛОТ).

If simply to explore new acts, Youtube either the World Cafe (various styles of music with the occasional hard rock band) or Napalm Records.

22. - Top - End - #22

PaladinGuy

The Small Faces

Spoiler: Performing "Tin Soldier"
    Show

- your welcome
    the (small) faces definitely (tin soldier, though?)

Perhaps Cream, (later) Status Quo or Bon Jovi?

On the more melodious of side the Beatles (&billy joel) there's tons of choice.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jayem View Post
    the (small) faces definitely (tin soldier, though?)

Well I liked it, but here's The Small Faces biggest 'hit':
    Spoiler: Itchycoo Park
    Show
    which is more "melodic' and less 'heavy' than "Tin Soldier", but I still like it.

Perhaps Cream

They had some good songs, I sill prefer The Yardbirds though, but at least Cream is much better than solo Eric Clapton ("Layla" is an abomination that I will not forgive!)

Status Quo

I liked "Pictures of Matchstick Men", what other good songs did they do?

or Bon Jovi?

I'm ignorant of any good songs by Bonnie Jovi

On the more melodious of side the Beatles

There's many good songs recorded by The Beatles, but the O.P. already mentioned them as a band he liked.

(&billy joel) there's tons of choice.

Also mentioned by the OP., but I can only think of two and half songs of Billy Joel's that I like.

24. - Top - End - #24

GreenSorcererElf

Oh, you just gotta dig back to his early work.

Also mentioned by the OP., but I can only think of two and half songs of Billy Joel's that I like.
    I always liked You May Be Right, Big Shot, She's Always a Woman to Me and And So It Goes (exceedingly sad). Not exactly deep cuts but eh. *shrug*

25. - Top - End - #25

PaladinGuy

Well I liked it, but here's The Small Faces biggest 'hit':
    Spoiler: Itchycoo Park
    Show
    which is more "melodic' and less 'heavy' than "Tin Soldier", but I still like it.
    I like it, but I wouldn't have gone "You like Paranoid...maybe you'd like Tin Soldier". I've always been under the impression they became more rocky as they dropped the "small" (they were Mod's after all). I'd have gone for "All or nothing" as the gateway (my favourite is "My Minds Eye").

They had some good songs, I sill prefer The Yardbirds though, but at least Cream is much better than solo Eric Clapton ("Layla" is an abomination that I will not forgive!)
    TBH I don't actually know any cream, but it was one that the Hard Rock guy at work liked (in fact I was thinking of Ballroom Blitz, which is the Sweet, though I can't see that down here)

I liked "Pictures of Matchstick Men", what other good songs did they do?
    I really like "Lies".
    Spoiler
    Show
    also "Again and again", "What you're proposing", "down Down", "Mad about the boy", "Rocking all over the world", "Something about you baby", "I love rock and roll", "Overdose", "Dreaming", "Every time I think of you", "Magic", "Ain't complaining" , "Ice in the sun", as well as "pictures of matchstick men" (which is on the less rocky side of their range)

I've come to tolerably like "living on a prayer" and "bad medicine", "you give love a bad name"

[ETA Oh seeing the link (ahh). David Bowie was mentioned ]

There's many good songs recorded by The Beatles, but the O.P. already mentioned them as a band he liked.
    That was one sentence of mine. If the (mentioned) Beatles&Billy Joel are still significantly in his range then you can flip right over into all the things they borrowed off and all the things they inspired. If they are the very fringes of his taste, then we probably can't.
    Last edited by jayem; 2019-04-14 at 03:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

@Gaius Hermicus,

I note that you like the Rolling Stones, well they did a

cover

of a great

song by Slim Harpo

The latest version I've heard was by
    Spoiler: Joan Osborne
    Show

and I think it's pretty good.

Please chime in with some "More like this", or "Less like that" posts so we may better craft suggestions.

-Thanks

27. - Top - End - #27

Sorry I have not responded.

I have indeed heard of Judas Priest, the Yardbirds, Rush, and Iron Maiden. I enjoyed all of them to an extent, but they aren't my favorites.

I listened to Tool, and like what I heard so far.

UFO is next on my list.

28. - Top - End - #28

In this instance of Gnod all is about music. Gnod is kind of a search engine for music you don't know about. It will ask you what music you like and then think

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess we are a living algorithm: "If you like the Cars, you may like: Elvis Costello, Blondie, and Squeeze".
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

What?...did you think of UFO? I remember them being tied into Rush a lot as they toured with them?...I remember hearing one album from them way back...then I went straight back to listening to Yes Relayer lol, the whole Gates of Delerium RPG in music form worked insanely better then the UFO I checked out. Time to give them a relisten.