New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 6: Return of the Cheddar

[Bird Emblem: Words]

In case anyone is waiting on her, Aviene doesn't interfere with whatever Magpie is doing. If something goes horribly wrong, that chicken farm isn't too far from here.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Bird Was Formerly the Word]

Well!

It sounds like the half elf half magpie has successfully grabbed the Icon!

Or, well, not grabbed it really.

Acquired it.

Because she isn't holding it now, it just seemed to disappear and now she has the distinct feeling that it is in her possession.

Icons are very abstract and very weird.

And now that she HAS it she will feel like she could do several things with it. Or, at least, a person who hasn't been heavily tainted by chaotic empyrean exposure would feel like they can do several things with it. For someone who has been so corrupted as she the option to ABSORB the Icon and bring order to the chaos of her form is pretty overwhelming compared to the other options.

Encyst - to plant the Icon and allow it to grow into a Shrine.
    Drop - to relinquish the Icon so someone else might take it.
    Store - to place the Icon somewhere safe so that it still belongs to her without being in her possession.
    Craft - to infuse the Icon into an object, creating an artifact of considerable power.

And, of course, to Absorb. To make it part of her. To relinquish mortal existence and ascend like a phoenix from her own ashes.

What shall she do?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

[Icon is the Wicon]

"Cucc-oh! Okay, that makes sense," says Aviene despite having no way of knowing what the icon actually does. "I wonder how many more of these bosses are around if we're supposed to be collecting these."

She waits pensively while Magpie is making her decision. She'd heard of a similar but distinctly non-bird outbreak on the news before she came to work. Could it have been another one of these animal-themed denizens?

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Orc in the Playground

Bird was the Word

The magpie-elf goes to Absorb, trying to stabilise her form into something more useful and less awkward. Currently she doesn't have the advantages of being so bird-like, without wings, and yet lacks the main advantage of being humanoid, that is the ability to speak. And her legs and feet aren't adapted to walk, at least not very well, and not for long.

Her body disintegrates, and with it her soul. In its place, stands... A thing. Half magpie, half oak, half bison, and with far too many hands. It doesn't stay like that mishmash of overlapping confusion for long, however, before it folds in on itself and coalesces into an elf. Well, half-elf. She has skin the colour of polished oak, brown hair and deep green eyes, and she's not wearing anything- a fact that quickly ceases to matter as she concentrates and... her skin smooths itself out, leaving no trace of anything that would ordinarily be hidden beneath clothes. "Um, hello! I don't think that works again, I'm afraid. You guys are stuck as you are. I'm Mishnehel. No, wait. I'm Brianelle. It's a pleasure to finally introduce myself without that beak getting in the way."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Troll in the Playground

Bird is still A word, just not THE word.

Jade stares at the magpie as she self-immolates. She was right, it was dangerous. And what is this thing coming out of her ashes? It looks like... No wait, it's her again. Right. This is more like Zee than BigBird it appears. Jade gives her a concerned look. "Are you all right? That looked painful. I'm Athena." Her usual pseudonym. "You don't feel like turning everyone into birds, do you?" Just have to make sure. "Do you want some clothes? I can help you get some clothes if you need them."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #1236

[Many Words, Many Birds]

Did it hurt?

Mishnehel will recall a single, blindingly bright moment of pain. More painful than anything she has ever experienced. But it was over in an instant and she feels fine now? In fact, she feels better than fine. She feels great! More alive than she has ever been. More herself than she has ever been. Before she instinctively folded in on herself into the half-elf shape she likely felt like there was too much her. The experience was more than a little overwhelming and confining her form and senses like this feels safe and familiar. She'll get use to her unbound state, but it's probably best to get use to it a little at a time.

Regardless of how deep Mishnehel digs, she won't find even the slightest desire to turn people into birds, make people bird-like, or even cause people to be vaguely birdish. Things appear to be safe on that front.

That whole immolate to unbind thing is definitely what Zee does, Jade will recall. Zee called them 'meat pajamas' jokingly. Like she was just wearing human flesh like a warm fuzzy outfit. It's possible that Mishnehel is the same sort of creature Zee is, but if she WAS then that doesn't explain why she didn't just immolate her cursed birdperson body earlier. No, there's probably something else going on here.

As for Aviene she may or may not have just witnessed someone ascend to God Tier. It definitely appears to work pretty different from how things had functioned in the she had experienced. There wasn't even a quest-bed! Though considering the whole just got reduced to a heap of fine ash thing, Brianelle likely just died. But hey, no ascending to God Tier without dying, right? That's just how this stuff works.

Really, there's no telling how many of these denizens there might be. BirdBird seemed to be asleep, right? They blew it up while it was sleeping and one of them got a pretty slick powerup for it. Maybe the party just needs to be sufficiently powerful before they can start breeding frogs safely?

Who knows!

This weird place definitely follows its own set of rules. One way or the other, there are probably more sleeping monsters like that huddled away in tombs just waiting to be a nuisance. It would definitely be a public service to track them down and blow them up.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ettin in the Playground

[A Word of Some Description]

"Hey Brianelle. Hi Athena. I'm A-v-iene. Aviene*."

She'd be lying if she said she knew exactly how God Tiering worked in the first place, but this does seem to be some universe's take on it.

"Don't -w-orry too much about fixing us birds," she goes on as she starts her scooter again. "That part is my job, ospreystensibly. Do you-co need a ride any-w-here before I report back to the lab?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-10-31 at 02:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Orc in the Playground

Three Birds, One of Which Doesn't Look the Part

"Yes, but not for long. And now I feel better than I ever have. I don't want to turn anyone into birds, no. Well, not most people. The world would probably be improved if a few people were birds, but I don't think I can turn them into birds. I never really had much magic." Brianelle frowns, as she thinks of the Guild and looks at her ankle. "I would quite like clothes, yes, but I'm pretty sure I can fly now. Thank you for the lift, but I don't think it's necessary."

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

This plot is for the birds

"I know someone who could help you with the clothes situation. She's over in Inside." Jade says to Brianelle. "No need for a lift, we can fly there." This definitely isn't an excuse to introduce the new Empyrean to Zee. Not at all. Besides, Jade has to talk to Zee about other things anyway.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-10-31 at 12:13 PM.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground

[For the Birds]

"Speaking of cu-clothes, didn't the emblem thing gi-v-e you a costume or something to go -w-ith it?" It's pretty much the one thing Aviene does know about her kind of god tiers. "-W-ell, -w-hate-v-er. It did already gi-v-e you flying and shapeshifting po-w-ers. No sense looking a tribute hoofbeast in the fangs, co."

She looks from Brianelle to Athena. "Do you -w-ant me to come find you once -w-e do ha-v-e a fix? You didn't do the thing I -w-anted, but I still kind of feel like I cucc-o-w-e you, co."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-10-31 at 03:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Orc in the Playground

Three the Birds

She tilts her head and looks at Aviene. "My clothes were shredded by feathers." And then incinerated with the rest of her. "I might be able to fake some, though. Hang on." She closes her eyes and pictures it, and clothes grow from her body, literally being extruded from her skin until they hang loose. A loose white t-shirt, slightly stained, a pair of hiking boots, looking very new, and a pair of acid-washed jeans, slightly too short. "Oh, hey. It worked. That's cool. How'd they look?" The half-elf grins and twirls, and... They look quite good, like clothes, albeit second-hand and possibly stolen clothes.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

Three Little Birdies

"Very convincing." Jade gives Brianelle a little smile which she hopes is reassuring. "Do you still want to come with me, or are you okay on your own?" It would benefit Mishnehel to meet Zee, but Jade won't force her.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Manor Lab

Anri shakes her head.
    ”No. The entire point of the curse is that I can only do what this golem body is designed to do. I don’t get to do person things like use my powers the way they’re supposed to work.” She grumbles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Manor Lab

Telly smiles at Nora and shakes her head. "Please, as with everyone here Ahri had had to go through the standard background checks too. I know there's nothing that dangerous in her past so you can relax. Once she's released from this curse it should all work out perfectly." She does seem rather unconcerned, taking yet another sip of coffee. "So with that said, is there anything else you require me for or can you two work things out yourself from here?" The archwarlock looks between the two.
    Manor Lab

With those assurances, Norael just gives a little shrug as if to say "alrighty then". "In that case, I don't believe there's anything else I need you for, Telly. I'll let you know how much things run once I'm done, but it shouldn't be too much." She says, trying to reassure her boss before picking up the phone and dialing a number. She leans forward on the desk, twirling a bit of her glowing hair in a finger as if she was smiling and interested very much in whomever was to answer the line. "Hey Joseph! It's Norael, you know, from th- you remember me? Oh, I'm flattered~" Despite having an ulterior motive, she seems genuinely happy and flattered. "Well, I'm glad you're doing well. You're not busy tonight, are you? Perf-Ect." She adds, seemingly grinning and happy. "I can swing by your place at six. See you~" Once she hangs up the phone, she seems to smile at Ahri. "I'll have most of the materials in a day or two. Just need to tract the soul jar materials and we'll be set. Sound good?"

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Manor Lab

Anri nods and bows to Norael again.
    ”Let me know when, then. I very much look forward to it.” Anri and Tellysandra likely will be taking their leave. Anri can feel that she’ll have drinks to serve tonight. Maybe if she’s lucky it will only be a few more days of that.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Manor Lab

"Grand, I shall leave you to it then. Good luck!" And so off the lady of the manor goes, waving them farewell before she disappears up the stairs the same way she came from. Her two drones not far behind.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Orc in the Playground

Tempest Row- Blackheart Street

There's a gang of people here, nine orcs all wearing black bulletproof vests, kevlar helmets with perspex visors and heavy duty jeans. Five of the orcs carry catchpoles, consisting of a wire noose on the end of a long pole; the other four carry electrified prods on poles about as long as the catchpoles. They are led by a hagraven, clad in a grimy black robe. Her skin is wrinkled and pale, with feathers growing from her arms and legs. She's unarmed, but her hands end in vicious claws. They've got two captives so far, their hands shackled behind them and a catchpole looped around their necks. The first is a young man with tanned skin, wearing a black leather tunic and boots. His eyebrows are extremely long and white; they've been braided into his hair, as two white streaks across his temples, and his eyes are a green so dark it almost looks black. The other is an elf, age really hard to determine as is the case with most elves, barefoot and wearing a tattered knee-length green dress. Her skin is the colour of teak, her hair is silver and flows halfway down her back, and her eyes are bright green. They're on their way to find any other loners or escaped slaves to recapture and bring in, so they're tending to visit most of the alleyways. Those with legitimate reason to be out quickly find somewhere to shelter to avoid the patrol,

17. - Top - End - #1247

Tempest Row- Blackheart Street

Harley Viviane came to Skyside because...well, lots of weird things have been happening in Inside recently and she hoped to avoid all of that. She came here hoping to get in some random fights with muggers, burn off some energy, and run off stress built up from rearing a baby.

She's got somewhat dark skin, black hair back in a braid-and-ponytail, a dress, decent makeup, and a nice purse but otherwise looks to be unarmed. Looks almost human. This all is, of course, to lure muggers towards her so that she can write off what happens as self defense.

She comes by Blackheart street, appearing to be lost in thought.

She notices the locals suddenly flee the street, but. . .
    . . .is not really sure why yet. Definitely something dangerous is about to go down, she thinks, so the hair on the back of her neck raises and adrenaline starts pumping through her. She's starting to feel a little excited, but does her best to not show it.

Alone,
    and apparently helpless,
    she'll run across them.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-11-03 at 08:56 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #1248

[Tempest Row- Blackheart Street]

The kumiho is hunting.

Because she's hungry.

She's often hungry. She feeds maybe once or twice a day if she can manage. That's normal right? She remembers that when she was human (was she ever human?) she would eat three meals a day. But she doesn't eat that much now. Usually. Sometimes she gorges herself. That's always nice. That keeps the hunger at bay for days or weeks. Plenty of time for her to mingle with normal folks and feel... safe. Normal. Good. But the hunger always starts burning at her insides again.

Eventually.

So she comes here to Skyside.

A city rotten to the core with people who don't deserve to live. The worst sort of people

People who choose to be monsters when she was robbed of that choice.

She isn't invisible. Not really. Her illusions don't work like that. Instead she recreates the area around her, only empty. When she holds still it's perfect. But when she needs to move the illusion there are visual artifacts. Images that don't quite match up. As dark as it is right now that hardly matters.

Silently, the kumiho pads along behind the patrol at a respectable distance. She isn't ready to strike. Not just yet.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Troll in the Playground

Tempest Row - Blackheart Street

Because there aren't enough people stalking these slavers yet, someone peers over a nearby rooftop. A woman clad in high-tech turquoise armor ducks back behind cover a second later. She taps her guantlet, adjusting some settings. Slavers. She can put them on the run, release there captives, and eat their hearts... No! Be a good fox, Jade. Lambslaural believes in you!

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Orc in the Playground

Blackheart Street

The orcs spot Viviane as she approaches, and at a gesture from the hagraven, two of the orcs split off. One, tries to loop their catchpole over her head, whilst the other will zap her with their shock-prod to stop her struggling.

Their focus on Viviane ensures both Freddie and Athena can get close enough to jump the slavers, if they want. Especially when the elf also takes advantage of the distraction to try and struggle out of her own catchpole, though the orc holding the pole trapping her twists it several times, tightening it until she's gasping and unable to resist any further.

21. - Top - End - #1251

[Blackheart Street]

The loop goes cleanly over Viviane's head.

She struggles a little, but the shock makes her muscles spasm and she almost screams (but the catchpole makes that hard) and collapses.

Suffocation and electricity, though. This is starting to get a little fun; it's been so long since she had to deal with electricity. She doesn't struggle more for now, but inside her body some things start rearranging and forming to help her counter the electricity, with protective metal bands under her skin to ground further electricity in preparation for the next opening she has.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

Groundtown Warehouse

Sekhmet nervously looks at the slave warehouse, then back to Prumathe. I, uh, guess we're doing this, she thinks to him. She's bound and gagged, but the psychic link is strong. Ellie pads alongside behind her for moral support, but will go hide when it's time to begin the actual rude.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #1253

[Blackheart Street]

A sniff at the air. A whiff of musk. Of... fox? There's another kumiho hunting nearby? Huh. That's new. As far as the kumiho knew she was the only of her kind that frequented Skyside. She can tell the other fox is somewhere nearby, but she isn't sure where.

But then a distraction starts.

Oh well. She'll have to figure out what's up with the other fox later.

She has prisoners to save and slavers to eat.

That's just what the kumiho was waiting for. She puts on her most used mask and applies the outfit she has designed specifically for situations like this.

With a *DOOF!* and a hiss a cloud of black smoke shot through with crimson flame explodes behind the slavers, billowing over the last few orcs in the group. The smoke is thick, dark, and hot, burning the eyes and the lungs.

It should be immediately obvious who this is.

Smoke.

A merciless vigilante that has been a thorn in the Slaver's Guild for some time. Pinning him (or her) down has thus far proven aggravatingly difficult. Like boxing with shadows.

The hero doesn't appear from the smoke cloud blocking off the slaver's path of retreat, though.

No, he appears from a smaller blast of choking smog to their left flank just as soon as they're focusing on the first cloud, moving quickly to ram a blade of inky dark and burning crimson into the neck of one of the orcs. The actual Smoke is nearby on their right flank, shrouded in invisibility. The hero wears a dark grey suit of light tactical armor with a trademark black and red kabuki-style oni mask with a leering mouth and large tusks.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-11-04 at 10:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

Blackheart Street

Athena looks down over the unfolding chaos. Something here smells familiar. Like... Another kumiho? She thought they were pretty rare. Oh and it's that guy! That horrible murderous vigilante that targets slavers. That guy. What was his name?

She jumps down behind the slavers and activates a hardlight shield on her left arm and a blade on her right, advancing towards them methodically and threateningly.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Orc in the Playground

Blackheart Street

The orcs in the smoke panic. They drop their polearms- long and ungainly, and with all this smoke it's too easy to get past the dangerous end, in which the orcs are helpless. Instead, they both produce a large knife; a trench knife and a dagger, respectively.

On the left flank, one of the orcs is stabbed in the throat and starts to collapse and gurgle. The hagraven blasts the illusion with a potent blast of lightning; she's not trying to disable the vigilante, but kill him. There's a death notice on certain people, and Smoke is one of them. The orcs with captives, including the two with Viviane, swing them around so the slaves are between them and the approaching hero, and are quickly retreating with one of the shock-pole orcs, heading towards the Street of Slavers and safety. The man is dragging his feet, and the orc with the shock-pole zaps him to dissuade him from disobedience.

Athena cuts an imposing figure, but is currently unnoticed by any of the orcs, or the hagraven leading them.

Groundtown Slaver Warehouse

Yes, I guess we are. I... hope this works, and if it doesn't I'll pull Skyside itself apart to find you. And off they go. Prumathe gulps, and walks into the shop, through an archway with no door. Inside, it's quite a small room with a heavy iron barred door leading deeper into the structure and a long counter. Sat at the counter is a bored-looking half-drow, with green eyes and white-blonde hair and ashy grey skin. "You here to sell it? What is... she? I guess she."
    "Uh, yes. I am. She's a tiefling. Was a lodger, but, uh, didn't pay rent?"
    "Sure, whatever. [Low price] for her. We'll have to clean it and make sure it's healthy before we try selling it." Prumathe tightens his jaw at the casual dehumanisation of his wife, but the half-drow doesn't notice. She hands over the gold, which isn't much, and rings a bell. An orc opens the gate (Samantha slips through the door without the orc noticing) and goes to take Sekhmet's bindings and lead her into the building.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet is pulled along, and she meekly follows. She doesn't have to fake the fear and anger in her face. No matter what happens, I love you! See you soon! As she's dragged into the warehouse, she keeps track of where she's taken. She may need to make a quick getaway through this place.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #1257

[Blackheart Street]

The lightning bolt rips through the illusion, causing it to come apart into a swirl of smoke, twisting through the air before reforming into two shades flanking the hagraven on the left and right. The left side shade lunges at her-

-only to pass through her harmlessly and dissipate as the right side illusion winds up for a seemingly powerful attack-

-right as the actual Smoke swirls in behind the hagraven and aims to decapitate her in one swift stroke. The true Smoke has something the illusions wholly lack; the monstrous strength of a kumiho. While the illusions can certainly stab someone with a searing blade of foxfire they don't have much strength behind the slash. They're better suited for weaker, unarmed foes and slitting throats.

But they're still not just illusions. They're illusions that can potentially cause harm.

And that makes figuring out which Smoke is actually Smoke a lethal cup game.

Unfortunately for these slavers?

Just like most cup games, the real Smoke is often palmed the whole time.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Jinn's Workshop]

If there's anything that can be said of Sam Bacon, it's he remembers directions well. Could he really have forgotten where the place was? Not likely. It's a smooth trip. Even taking Alexia along with him, Sam remembers what routes to take. And the usual cutthroats won't choose a large weird guy with a gun at his hip who moves like a local when they could pick an easier, more clueless mark.
    Even still, he's twitchy. Nervous. He's always looking around. Thankfully this is a quick one-day trip and then he never has to come back here ever again.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Orc in the Playground

I love you too! I'll be just around the corner, if you need me yell. This warehouse doesn't look particularly sturdy, to me. And as a mason, he probably knows quite a bit about architecture and the quality of the building materials.

Sekhmet is dragged down a short corridor to a solid concrete room with another iron barred door. The orc holding her rips the gag off, and unlocks the door with a key at his belt, before pulling it open and cutting any rope between her hands and pushing her inside. The room is quite dark, lit only by a single rather pathetic ceiling bulb, and very large. The walls, floor and ceiling are bare concrete, though etched with graffiti here and there, and there's fifteen beds bolted to the floor inside. Also sixteen people, all human-sized and female, though of different races and species. They're all in rather tattered and old-looking rags, and some already have collars or manacles fastened about their limbs. Nocri would stand out, as her clothing is by far the nicest of anyone's here, but she's curled up on a bed at the back and sobbing. Her shoes have been taken away. There's nine humans, including Nocri. A bulky half-orc sat on a bed glaring at the door. A pair of half-elves, looking like twins, holding each other tight. A pale-skinned kor with angular tattoos. Three khajiit, the feline humanoids pacing and hissing at any who get too close. Finally, a yellow-skinned Twi'lek, sleeping rather contentedly on one of the beds.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet sends to Prumathe and Samantha. I, uh, found Nocri. She quietly walks up to the sobbing human and gently taps her on the shoulder. "Shhhhhh." She tries to give a reassuring face.

My Nexus characters