New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 6: Return of the Cheddar

[Jinn's Emporium]

The "hired employee' stares back at the robot and gesture at her visor. "Hey! Eyes up-"

"Hired help~" Sihori remarks in a uncharacteristically curt manner before the robot-man turns his attention to the big empty room where she starts to excitedly starts to chatter again. "Hardly, sir. This is an art display where you can watch the artists creations being made live or you make art yourself using one of canvases. Each piece costs an not-insignificant sum however and ten times as much for a sapient piece. I recommend it however, there is little limit to what this facility can do when it comes to art and all our customers have been satisfied with the results so far. You should see some of the latest creations that have been made here. Truly unique art made by truly unique minds~"

The "hired employee" mutters something about 'freaking weirdos' as she locates herself behind the robot-man, leaning against the wall with her hooved legs crossed. As she watches the robo-man from underneath her visor, her tail starts to lightly tap against the wall, seemingly out of habit.

Parks and Reanimation

'Little weird'? That was a 'little' rude, wasn't it?
    Though Jaahlyn doesn't remark on it. She is far more concerned about looking as non-threatening as possible. Her black eyes unusually unnerved people but it wasn't like she could close them every time Jenette looked her way. Maybe she should have grabbed a pair of sunglasses on her way here...
    Fiddelia can see the satyr seemingly trying on various 'relaxed' poses behind Jenette.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-07-20 at 07:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Parks and Reanimation

Jenette loosens her grip on the sword after spotting SUSPICIOUS GOAT Fidelia's new acquaintance, the suspicious goat. Fidelia didn't mention a name when she introduced this new house guest, what's that about? On top of that, precisely what does 'helping with undeadness' mean? Everything about this whole situation seems suspect; what's the goat lady's angle here? How does she benefit from this scenario?

"Well alright, I'm here and I'm listening. What've you got for us, new acquaintance?" Jenette asks, in a cutting voice that puts on a very thin veil of civility and politesse over an unspoken promise to visit all kinds of violence and misery upon Jaahlyn if she's been somehow exploiting the ghoul knight's squire, or turning Fidelia's good intentions and kind heart towards sinister machinations and diabolical schemes.

Before we worry about any of that, however, there's a new red harness to try to fit Romero into. The old one was getting kinda ratty and worn out, and he was due for a walk soon, anyway. Now, Romero gets a little bouncy when he senses walks are upcoming, and there's hardly a better indicator of incoming walks than being put into a harness, so Fidelia better do a good job of holding the big baby steady. You'd think he'd have the sense to keep still, since he should know by now that he's not allowed to go for a walk without a harness on, but no, of course not, he's just a dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #123

Parks and Reanimation

Fidelia doesn't think she's really that weird, she just thought that maybe it would help allay the suspiciousness of Jaahlyn's current position! "Er, her name's Jaahlyn," she informs, but she won't have anything to add to the conversation. Instead she will busy herself with steadying Romero while watching the two converse.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #124

Parks and Reanimation

As Jenette turns to Jaahlyn, she is not-so-casually leaning against the wall with her palms at display. Once the lady knight ghoul addresses her, she makes a deep bow. "Erm, yes. Miss, Fidelia explained the situation to me and while the pay she promised wasn't quite enough to cover my expenses, I suggested that she could work off the eventual debt depending on what we decide on. I often find myself in need of someone to perform every day tasks for me due to my, ah, nature. I'm sure you can understand the limitations an inhuman nature can, uh, impose on you."

She took a deep breath and straightened her back. "But... what I'm offering you is the magic of the dead. I cannot bring anyone back to life, or cure you, but if you could tell me a bit more about the precise nature of your condition I might be able to offer a couple of solutions. I must warn you though, the questions will be of a invasive nature."

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Thundermarket Shopping Centre

"We hunt all people that don't contribute to society, and sell them to people that make them contribute to society." Is the orc's response, with a glower.

Then the message to abort comes through, and the orcs pile back into their beaten up old van. They'll aim the front of their vehicle at the man who's shouting at Jaahlyn, and accelerate. They're trying to run him over, but expect him to get out of the way. This van hasn't been given as many of the improvements and armouring as some of the slaver's vehicles, but it's entirely expendable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

So now she's getting her own car thrown at her. Jaahlyn had never expected this outcome honestly. But it was now either dodge or die and right now she really didn't want to die again.

She can't see the car, only hear it so turning around or stepping aside might mean she'd get crushed. Ducking would probably get the same result. She could just run but as she expected the car to be thrown in more horizontal direction. Thus she goes with an somewhat unorthodox response.

She jumps.

For most humanoids, this would just be dumb. But Jaahlyn doesn't just jump, she jumps. About 4 meters into the air to be specific.
    Jaahlyn was just intending to jump forward but ends up jumping over the car just as it was about to land behind her.
    But she does not dwell on what just happened. Once she lands, she just keeps on running while putting her lips to her flute once more. This time the music wasn't effecting anyone around her, but only herself. Causing her to run far faster than she otherwise would. She couldn't outrun a car or anything but she could outrun all these people.

Orcs and crowed

"Lier" they call them and seem. "You sell what gives money." "Get Lost!" They say and swarm around the Orcs. Their increasing number gives them more confidence and when the Orcs retreat it cheers them up even more. Thought they can't do much to stop the van since they rather not stop them with their lives.

Jumping and driving

The jump was a bit unexpected especially since he threw it in front of her. Well this happens. Befor he can decide to follow he hears the crowed and the roaring engine of the van the orcs use. The man doges the van by turning to a side, but as they drive by he tries to hit the van. If the hit connects, it might only cause a dent in the vehicle, but the force could throw it out of balance.

As Jaahlyn runs she might hear a voice in her head calling for her. "How unpleasent. What is the meaning of this?"
    Last edited by Zefir; 2019-07-22 at 03:31 AM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

The van is hit, the blow denting the van's rear sliding door as the orcs inside cackle and jeer at their attempted roadkill. The van rocks on its side, before landing back on all four wheels with a might crash that might have caused some damage to the axle, judging by how it now has a marked tendency to drift to the left as it drives. The driver is able to correct this, but it slows them down, if anybody wants to follow.

They aren't sure if Jaahlyn wants to be associated with them right now, so they'll drive near enough slow enough that she could jump aboard or not as they drive past.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #127

Yeah, right.

Jaahlyn isn't going to spend any of her focus explaining the 'meaning' of her actions to what she assumed to be the mastermind behind all this.
    Heck, she wasn't even going to spend any time thinking up some clever reply. She was just going to keep running.

"Abort mission, I repeat abort." She calls into the radio. "Radio silence now!

She is going to find somewhere where she can lay off the heat for just a moment. Then she's going to get out of this damn place.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

[Jinn's Emporium]

"I would be able to observe the artist at work? I think I would enjoy observing art taking shape." The "hired help" is already forgotten in favour of this blank canvas of a room, promising so many possibilities.

"Do you have examples of previous work you can show me? I wish to see what might become of my collection."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

9. - Top - End - #129

Parks and Reanimation

As Jenette turns to Jaahlyn, she is not-so-casually leaning against the wall with her palms at display. Once the lady knight ghoul addresses her, she makes a deep bow. "Erm, yes. Miss, Fidelia explained the situation to me and while the pay she promised wasn't quite enough to cover my expenses, I suggested that she could work off the eventual debt depending on what we decide on. I often find myself in need of someone to perform every day tasks for me due to my, ah, nature. I'm sure you can understand the limitations an inhuman nature can, uh, impose on you."

She took a deep breath and straightened her back. "But... what I'm offering you is the magic of the dead. I cannot bring anyone back to life, or cure you, but if you could tell me a bit more about the precise nature of your condition I might be able to offer a couple of solutions. I must warn you though, the questions will be of a invasive nature."
    "I can answer a few questions," Jenette answers guardedly, kneeling down to get the harness on Romero. Debt slavery to help with her condition. A harness like the one Romero's wearing, but of a more financial and metaphorical nature. Fidelia probably thinks she owes Jenette that much, with her weird life debt thing, but the notion still rankles the ghoul. This whole undead business is her burden, no one else's. The only one who should suffer for Saint Lazarus's condition is Saint Lazarus...and the unlucky schmucks she dines on, of course, but they deserved it anyway.

"Not going to charge us if I change my mind after the interview, right?" Jenette, relax. Jaahlyn isn't some holy warrior or ghoul-hunter or something. If she wanted to do necromancy magic to make you her attack dog, there's plenty of simpler ways to go about it than this. Jeez, you almost sound like you like eating human flesh, the way you're getting so hostile towards the very first opportunity to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

10. - Top - End - #130

[Jinn's Emporium]

"Of course, sir. I'll start you off with a few early examples of their work in Skyside. Feel free to ask any questions during the tour but I will refrain from making judgement calls on the quality of their work. Such things are after all in the eyes of the beholder."
    Light lit up inside the white dome. "First off, let me show you an good example of Jinn's bulk-phase."

And so, poor Sam will be teleported inside the dome. The dome is completely white without any obvious exits. The bottom of the metal walls bulging outwards into seats but otherwise the room is completely empty. He can see a large blacked out window at the top right of the room which seem to serve as a observation deck.

"As you can see, it follows the traditional humanoid shape but with some key-differences. I would say it's quite minimalistic. Still firmly anchored in the common traditionalist shape of the sapient fleshlings which inhabit the nexus."

The hired help continues mumbling to herself but as the robot is hardly paying attention now he likely won't hear any of it.

Parks and Reanimation

"Of course not, miss. Question-asking is not a part of my services." Jaahlyn clears her voice. "*ahem* So, are you lady-knight actually physically dead or suffering from a disease?" A thoughtful pause. "Or is it perhaps some kind of combination of both? I've heard that the healing magic which is common here tend to harm those who are actually dead rather than diseased. But there are other ways to find out if you don't actually know."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-07-29 at 02:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jinn’s Emporium]

And so our observers should get a good view of a large blue custom-person wearing a pair of shorts and cupping his hands around something that is no longer there. He looks about confused for a few moments before suddenly bellowing,
    ”No! No more of this [EXPUNGED]! Twice was more than enough! And I was in the middle of- you better know how lucky you are it’s turn-based! I better get a- you know what, I couldn’t give less of a [NOPE].”
    An extremely impractical looking key-shaped weapon immediately materializes into one of his hands, which is flung with improbable force at the window repeatedly as it reappears in his hand after impact over and over.
    Honestly if the spinning weapon wasn’t in the way of the view it would be a rather fine display of his physique and endurance.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

12. - Top - End - #132

The van is hit, the blow denting the van's rear sliding door as the orcs inside cackle and jeer at their attempted roadkill. The van rocks on its side, before landing back on all four wheels with a might crash that might have caused some damage to the axle, judging by how it now has a marked tendency to drift to the left as it drives. The driver is able to correct this, but it slows them down, if anybody wants to follow.

They aren't sure if Jaahlyn wants to be associated with them right now, so they'll drive near enough slow enough that she could jump aboard or not as they drive past.

Yeah, right.

Jaahlyn isn't going to spend any of her focus explaining the 'meaning' of her actions to what she assumed to be the mastermind behind all this.
    Heck, she wasn't even going to spend any time thinking up some clever reply. She was just going to keep running.

"Abort mission, I repeat abort." She calls into the radio. "Radio silence now!

She is going to find somewhere where she can lay off the heat for just a moment. Then she's going to get out of this damn place.

The man who threw the car stands there and watches them get away. He might be able to catch up, but not befor they reach another teritory and who knows who else is involved in this madness. Staying alive was more important then chasing them. Thought it was clear where the orcs came from.

Arkant will try to make a proper mindread on Jaahlyn, but assuming he can at least hear what she hears right now and hear what she speaks he will contact her again.
    "A misson was it? I don't think we had business befor? Might explain why you act against us?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Thundermarket Shopping Centre- Fleeing

The orcs use evasive driving, since it seems Jaahlyn's decided against a lift. They don't care; means an outsider doesn't see where they go next. They'll take a seemingly-random amount of twists and turns, down an awful lot of roads and passageways in the chaotic city- one of the wing mirrors is snapped off when they turn sharply to go down an alleyway barely wide enough for the van.

Eventually, they stop at a crudely fortified warehouse in the Thunderhead District, guarded by what look like local gangers, wearing a lot of black and white clothing and carrying primarily beat-up home-made guns. One of the gangers, seeing the van, pulls on a chain that lifts a heavy metal door into the warehouse. Inside, it's dark... But those with especially keen senses might see the glint of light on polished steel cages or hear the whines and moans of unfortunates underneath the rattling chains of the door mechanism. The van enters, and the door is dropped portcullis-style behind them. If anybody's managed to follow them this far, and keeps a watch on the building, the orcs won't reappear- but after a few days, the van will, towed behind a battered tractor with caterpillar tracks. The van's changed, slightly; the wheels are different, and the tyres are old, threadbare and mostly flat, the windows have had the protective chickenwire removed and there's more dents in the bodywork. The tractor pulls the van to the edge of the city, where the driver disembarks, uncouples the van from the tractor, drives behind the van and then pushes it off the side of the city in the sky.

14. - Top - End - #134

In retrospect, it would probably have been a lot smarter to go with the orcs. It simply didn't occur to her that they could have picked her up at the time. How embarrassing.

She mentally doh's as soon as she realizes this, something Arkant will get a read on. Though right now he's only getting surface thoughts like that from her and she isn't replying to his questions either. Instead, she has started to hum a certain melody in her head.

But as she's humming the melody in her head, she is actually playing another song on her flute. One that would allow her to escape from this district.
    Arkent could attempt to dive deeper into her mind for more information of what she's thinking.

15. - Top - End - #135

Orcs

The Orcs will have the feeling of someone watch them even if they make those complicated ways. This feeling gets lower the closer they come to their hideout. After they disapeared in the building Arkant will hide some people nearby to watch over it, thought the appereance of the van does surise them. They aren't prepared to do more then watching so they will send someone to watch the trashing of the van. The spies will continue their watch afterwards.

Jaahlyn

It is save to say he will try to dive deeper, but befor that he has to try something else. While mentaly humming and also playing a different music she must be very concentrated. At least multitasking this way is hard to keep right? So instead of talking futher Arkant is silent for a moment. Then musik is playing a musik simular to the once she plays and hums, but there is one thing odd. Whoever plays this makes markable mistakes. Playing the wrong note or holding one to long Sounds that just let you you think *ouch hat sounds bad*. It might serve to break her concentration.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Slaver's Guild Secret Warehouse

The spies won't have much luck at observing- the warehouse's walls are thick, and nobody who isn't wearing the gang's colours are allowed in- except for, about once a week, a lorry that drives into the warehouse, backing up against the warehouse's large doors and being unloaded in a position that makes it hard to tell what's being unloaded. Or possibly it's being loaded, instead, but the way the suspension rises afterwards suggest they enter loaded and leave empty- or emptier, at least. The lorries, if they get followed, head to the sky-docks where they take other jobs and move other cargoes. They're hired drivers, work for anyone who pays, usually without giving a name.

17. - Top - End - #137

So that's the dirty tricks this mind controller was resorting to?
    It certainly was distracting but Jaahlyn knew her melodies by heart and she tutored apprentices more than once and fought off mental influence regularly. However, its still distracting enough for her to ask. "What do you want? You won't be able to control me, sir and I certainly won't say anything."

She wouldn't need much more time now...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-08-05 at 03:52 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Street of Slavers

A sleek, black spaceship arrives, landing just off the street. It's a largish craft, big enough for a couple dozen people easily, and has no visible windows, propulsion, or even a door. The design is rounded, and shaped to provide protection from radar. After it lands, gently, the bottom of the craft slides open along an unseen seam and lowers a robot to the ground. It is roughly humanoid, possessing four arms and an antlike head with bulbous compound eyes. It is made from the same black metal as its ship. It strides purposefully and evenly toward the Street of Slavers.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Street of Slavers

The street is clean, bright and well-patrolled, by guards in breastplates and helmets carrying tasers, cattleprods and nets. Most of the people on the street are human, though many of the guards are gnolls, orcs, or drow. There's lots of different shops about, and not just ones selling slaves directly- there's also blacksmiths, tattooists, tanners, carpenters, doctors, and anyone else who could find a job interacting with slaves and slave-owners on a daily basis. The robot's ship attracts a fair amount of attention, but the street itself is quite narrow- deliberately so; they don't want vehicles here.

The three largest shops- Girls, Male and Exotics, as well as the Skyside Orphanage for Abandoned Children- are sturdy and well-built, and there's an information booth in the centre of the street with a pretty brown-eyed and -haired girl in her twenties sat at a desk, wearing a blue uniform resembling an air hostess, and a heavy bronze collar. She smiles nervously at anyone who approaches and gives directions to those that need it.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Street of Slavers

The robot approaches the information booth. "Greetings. This unit represents an organization which would like to purchase a number of healthy humanoid stock. Please provide instructions for proper procedure." Its voice is harsh and metallic, betraying no emotion whatsoever, if it even has any.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Street of Slavers

"The Guild guarantees healthy and disease-free subjects at all of its stores. A number... You wish to buy in bulk? I shall summon some assistance for you." She reaches over and presses a button, ringing a bell. Shortly afterwards, a member of the Guild walks over. He's a fat man, and ugly; his hair is receding, his nose is porcine, his eyes are yellow and slit like a cat's, and he has a patchy beard. He's got a large paunch and waddles ungainly. He's wearing a tailored grey business suit, though it's marked with sweat and some grease from his lunch. "You'd like to buy a group, yes? Preferences on gender, species and age? We've got boys, girls, humans, halflings, goblins, teenagers, young adults, proper adults... Most anything you might want to buy." Not many skilled labourers, however, nor many over middle age. Young and attractive sells best, and those without weapons or magical training are the least risky to sell.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Street of Slavers

"Strong of mind and body. Adult, preferably. Otherwise, variety is encouraged. 16 is a suitable quantity." Even as it speaks, the robot has no body language at all. It might as well be a talking statue, standing perfectly rigid.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #143

The spies won't have much luck at observing- the warehouse's walls are thick, and nobody who isn't wearing the gang's colours are allowed in- except for, about once a week, a lorry that drives into the warehouse, backing up against the warehouse's large doors and being unloaded in a position that makes it hard to tell what's being unloaded. Or possibly it's being loaded, instead, but the way the suspension rises afterwards suggest they enter loaded and leave empty- or emptier, at least. The lorries, if they get followed, head to the sky-docks where they take other jobs and move other cargoes. They're hired drivers, work for anyone who pays, usually without giving a name.

The spies are nothing special. Most of them are just people passing by on their way to work/school or other regular activities. Most of them don't even know they spy for someone. It will be hard to find out, but someone is using their eyes to keep an eye on them and it's not Arkant himself since he can't keep that up for so long.
    The drivers might also be hired by another person, not all of them just a few to not raise suspicious. They will sure have some unloading to do. During the work the person who hired them will try to pat their back or shoulder for a job well done. This won't be a normal touch as he tries to mark those people and hopefully can use them to look into the warehouse.

The man hiring them appears to be humanoid, but instead of a beard there are a few tentacles and there is a third eye on his forehead. his other features are hidden by a wide coat, but his hands appear normal.

So that's the dirty tricks this mind controller was resorting to?
    It certainly was distracting but Jaahlyn knew her melodies by heart and she tutored apprentices more than once and fought off mental influence regularly. However, its still distracting enough for her to ask. "What do you want? You won't be able to control me, sir and I certainly won't say anything."

She wouldn't need much more time now...

Dirty tricks? It's ... it's just an ocaison that he has to practice musik right now.

Hah, that is right what he needed, at least to give him more time. When she replies he will forcefully try to push in, not to gain controll over her mind, but to slow down her body.

"I guess you know what I want. After all you are the attacker in this scenario. I want to know who you are and what business it is for you to attack us."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

The guards at the warehouse are therefore unaware that they are being observed, more than the usual at least. Anything going on in Skyside with armed guards attracts some attention, if only from rival gangs that are curious about what they're guarding in there.

Using one of the itinerant drivers as a spy will take a while; it's almost as though the employers are deliberately avoiding employing the same individual too often, and selecting the ones they do use randomly. It'll take about a week before one is asked to deliver to the warehouse again, and she doesn't see much- the lorry is loaded for her at a private air-dock from a large helicopter with tandem rotors, a cargo she's not supposed to look at. She catches a glimpse anyway; a group of bulky orcs- the observer may recognise some that helped Jaahlyn; there's another way out of the warehouse- manhandling some large boxes into the back of the lorry, each box marked FRAGILE. The boxes are coffin-sized and about coffin-shaped, and there's a muffled scream when one is dropped. When they arrive at the warehouse guarded by the people in white and black, she's told to reverse up to the doors, which are opened for her, and told to stay put. The way things are positioned, she can't see what they're doing out back, nor what they're storing in the warehouse, but she is paid very well for the job.

Street of Slavers

"That is quite a number, yes. Strong of mind we can't guarantee, I'm afraid. Most of our customers prefer weak-willed, broken or submissive slaves, ones that fear the consequences of an attempted escape. Strong of body, however, is something we can provide easily. If you'd just follow me, uh, sir." The hagspawn gestures for the robot to follow him and leads the way towards an alleyway between a blacksmith's offering an impressive array of metal collars, chains, and shackles and a cafe with a small fighting-pit. The alleyway is cramped, narrow and pretty dirty, and leads to a small courtyard and a steel door locked with a brass padlock. The slaver takes out a bunch of keys, slips one into the lock and opens the door, pulling it open and gesturing for the robot to enter first.

Beyond the door is a large warehouse, dominated by large cages. Most of the cages have somebody in; mostly humans, with a heavy spattering of half-elves, halflings, gnomes, goblinoids, orcs, dwarfs and other, less common races here and there. They're all wearing just enough to preserve their modesty, and they're all quite fit-looking and healthy. They're mostly aged between seventeen and thirty, with a few either older or younger by a few years. The robot, if it has GPS, magical senses or so on, might be able to tell that the warehouse doesn't border the courtyard they came from; that door was a cleverly-disguised portal, activated by the key used by the hagspawn. "These are our bulk slaves, the ones that either aren't pretty enough to go on sale in one of our main stores or who are awaiting shipment off-world to be sold there."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Street of Slavers

"Affirmative. We would like to inspect your wares." The robot notices the hidden portal, but says nothing. Its ship is already on standby to fly here at the first sign of trouble, or if it just needs a lift.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Street of Slavers- Warehouse

"But of course! That is why I brought you here. Go, have a look at any that catch your fancy. Lead the way, I shall follow you and open any cages you want opened. There's over a hundred people in here to choose from at the moment, all young and healthy." The robot is free to wander around; as he said, the hagspawn (Raodan the Reject) will follow and open any cages to let the robot get a better look at those inside.

(You can say what the robot buys, at this point; youngest slave in here's about fifteen, oldest is about thirty-three. There's men, women, the standard fantasy races and a few more unusual individuals like marshwiggles, vedalken and khajiit. All mammals, however; not lizardfolk or Argonians.)

27. - Top - End - #147

"I don't know what you want, sir." Jaahlyn continues claiming. "Other than domination. Perhaps you should consider payments instead, yeah? Far more reliable."
    As Arkant starts prodding at her body through her mind, he will suddenly become aware that there another presence within her mind. A presence which is now blocking him from slowing down Jaahlyn's body.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" The presence remarks, a distinctively dark male voice. "Can I help you with anything? It would seem you have a interest in this body. Which begs the question, what are you actually willing to give for it? I'm always willing to cut a deal."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-08-06 at 07:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Street of Slavers: Warehouse

The robot starts by walking along the rows of cages. One might get the sense that its eyes see more than just appearances, that it perceives hidden things more easily. Its choices are not always the most visibly healthy and fit, as if it's measuring by a different standard. In the end, it selects 8 males and 8 females.

Of the males:
    Three humans, a 16 year old boy, a fair-haired man in his early 30s, and a dark-skinned man in his 20s
    A red-bearded dwarf
    A burly, bald orc
    A pair of goblins one cowering and sniveling and the other silent and submissive
    A tall, lanky gith

And the females:
    Two humans in their early 20s, a redhead and one with unusual green hair which might be a sign of some nonhuman blood.
    A pair of wood elves who look similar enough that they might be related
    A halfling woman
    A klingon
    A grey dwarf (or Duergar, if you prefer)
    A black-haired half-elf

Once it has finished selecting, the robot turns back to the hagspawn. "We have made our selections. This unit is authorized to make proper payment."

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #149
    Halfling in the Playground

[Jinn's Emporium]

"Of course, sir. I'll start you off with a few early examples of their work in Skyside. Feel free to ask any questions during the tour but I will refrain from making judgement calls on the quality of their work. Such things are after all in the eyes of the beholder."
    Light lit up inside the white dome. "First off, let me show you an good example of Jinn's bulk-phase."

And so, poor Sam will be teleported inside the dome. The dome is completely white without any obvious exits. The bottom of the metal walls bulging outwards into seats but otherwise the room is completely empty. He can see a large blacked out window at the top right of the room which seem to serve as a observation deck.

"As you can see, it follows the traditional humanoid shape but with some key-differences. I would say it's quite minimalistic. Still firmly anchored in the common traditionalist shape of the sapient fleshlings which inhabit the nexus."

The hired help continues mumbling to herself but as the robot is hardly paying attention now he likely won't hear any of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Jinn’s Emporium]

And so our observers should get a good view of a large blue custom-person wearing a pair of shorts and cupping his hands around something that is no longer there. He looks about confused for a few moments before suddenly bellowing,
    ”No! No more of this [EXPUNGED]! Twice was more than enough! And I was in the middle of- you better know how lucky you are it’s turn-based! I better get a- you know what, I couldn’t give less of a [NOPE].”
    An extremely impractical looking key-shaped weapon immediately materializes into one of his hands, which is flung with improbable force at the window repeatedly as it reappears in his hand after impact over and over.
    Honestly if the spinning weapon wasn’t in the way of the view it would be a rather fine display of his physique and endurance.
    [Jinn's Emporium]

"It doesn't seem to be very happy to be in there, does it?" The probable-robot comments as it watches Sam going nuts at the window. ""And it has a very unusual weapon there. I assume we are safe?"

A few steps back are taken, just in case.

"My collection is varied but limited in its number of duplicates. Bulk is likely not an option, though he has a very good throwing arm. But I appreciate the demonstration."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

30. - Top - End - #150

[Groundtown]

Minerva is not very forthcoming with information, though Zee will learn that she has served with the holy order for "many years" and that she right now is on a "personal crusade" to spread the word to the outer reaches of the emperium. For a sister of battle, that apparently involved a lot of willpower and violence. Or at least that how Minerva describes it.

Groundtown doesn't get much of a reaction from Minerva however. It's almost like she has seen it all before, or at least something very similar to it. That helmet of hers might at least help a bit against the aroma.
    "This machine would lead us to the flying city?" She inquires, not sure if she was looking at the same thing as Zee. "Since that city must be very different from the one below it if it's supposed to house ships."
    There are plenty of beggars on the street that easily recognize them both as newcomers and come pleading for food and/or money. Minerva is just brushing them aside however, not even giving them a second glance. This all seems to be things she's quite used to.
    As Zee understands it, most everything to do with the 40k setting has to do with violence.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war!

She always thought it was kind of silly as a concept. But for the people living there it sounds pretty awful. That's what she gathered from the few she met, anyway.

"This place is like those slummy places at the bottoms of hives?" Zee ventures. She isn't totally sure she's getting the terminology right. "Full of squalor and desperate people. Hold on a moment."

Then she turns to the clutching beggars, reaches into her pocket, and withdraws-

A seed?

"I don't have much money. But what I do have I give to you."

Then she stoops down and stuffs the seed into a patch of dirt.

"Wait an hour, and you won't have to worry quite so much about food."

Then she turns back toward the rickity transportation! "Let's go. I'm sure the lurching and creaking will make the ride exciting."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.