New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Samurai Class

i've looked everywere for stuff on the forums and eventually driven insane by the "you can only search every 300 seconds" rule ive decided to ask.

I have seen a link in someones signiture to a "fix for samuri" and as sods law likes doing the most prevented me from veiwing who it is so could anyone point me in the direction of any kind of samuri discussion or something please
    Last edited by CrazedGoblin; 2007-10-02 at 10:50 AM.
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Samuri Class

Samurai are...not typically well supported here. They're considered by most on the boards to be the weakest class available, and I'm sure many others will be more than willing to tell you why.

I'm not saying you shouldn't talk about them, I'm just trying to gently warn you about the maelstrom you may very well be walking into.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I think the reason you were having trouble with the search feature is the fact that you can't spell "Samurai".

Samurai are fighters forced into a suboptimal fighting style with a special capstone ability that doesn't actually work. As a result, people tend not to like them.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4

Default Re: The Samurai Class

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    I think the reason you were having trouble with the search feature is the fact that you can't spell "Samurai".

Samurai are fighters forced into a suboptimal fighting style with a special capstone ability that doesn't actually work. As a result, people tend not to like them.
    LOL very true, corrected

Best Avatar by Sampi!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The most common responses for playing a Samurai tend to be either a) play a Fighter or b) play a Warblade. Both are better options than playing the actual samurai class (especially in the case of option B, which doesn't become irrelevant after level 7-ish). The samurai is terrible both for mechanical and for fluff reasons.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Try looking up the Samurai core class in Oriental Adventures. The Iaijutsu Focus is one of my favourite skills. Once played a Rogue/Samurai/Iaijutsu Master, pretty much a glass cannon but the a first round 10d6 damage was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    You. You and your natural 20s. Why do you hog them? Why?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Try looking up the Samurai core class in Oriental Adventures. The Iaijutsu Focus is one of my favourite skills. Once played a Rogue/Samurai/Iaijutsu Master, pretty much a glass cannon but the a first round 10d6 damage was awesome.
    The OA Samurai is 3.0 and considered decent or good; the 3.5 Samurai is in Complete Warrior and widely derided.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

With Tome of Battle out, the need for a samurai class is lessened, because you can just play a warblade who uses a katana and focuses on diamond mind and iron heart, it's useful and flavorful.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    sounds groovey

Best Avatar by Sampi!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

If OA samurai was great, then why you can't use it? I don't think too much homebrewing is need to adapt him to 3.5.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedGoblin View Post
    I have seen a link in someones signiture to a "fix for samuri" and as sods law likes doing the most prevented me from veiwing who it is
    Pretty sure I never made that law...there's a whole heap I have made for my campaigns, but I've never been big-headed enough to name them after myself. Maybe I should? Hmm, bit of food for thought, eh?

Anyway, Samurais. I'm afraid I don't have that much experience with them (never played as one, never been in a party with one, never DMed a group with one, only read over the stats and details once, in my first few months of DnDing)...as ignorant as it makes me sound, why are they considered here to be the weakest class avaliable?
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    Pretty sure I never made that law...there's a whole heap I have made for my campaigns, but I've never been big-headed enough to name them after myself. Maybe I should? Hmm, bit of food for thought, eh?
    no, wait its.. don't worry lol

Best Avatar by Sampi!

13. - Top - End - #13

As people have been saying, if you're a Tome of Battle fan you can just make a good samurai out of a Warblade.

If you're not a Tome of Battle fan ... just play a Fighter with the Frightful Presence feat from Draconomicon. You get everything that the Complete Warrior Samurai gets (except you have to get a high Dex if you actually want to use TWF). But you don't suck quite so hard.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Bah. Who says you can't just play a samurai variant (bah. Just take a Fighter)who uses a naginata (glaive) or a no-dachi (greatsword) if you don't like the CW samurai.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus-R.C._Mina View Post
    Bah. Who says you can't just play a samurai variant (bah. Just take a Fighter)who uses a naginata (glaive) or a no-dachi (greatsword) if you don't like the CW samurai.
    I feel the urge to link this. And remember that there does exist a "samurai" archetype in fiction that can't be fully represented by a fighter just as there exists a "ninja" archetype that can't be represented by a rogue.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fixing the Samurai is doable. Take a fighter and focus on one or more of: mounted archery, spear (yari), polearm (naginata) or bastard sword. Stay far, far away from two-weapon fighting.

If you wish then you can fix the fighter so that it can actually represent some fictional archtypes besides the angry beastmaster. I would recommend giving the class a few more skillpoints and an expanded skill list.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    Sod's Law is another name for Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will."

(If you were being humorous here, my apologies for spoiling the joke...)
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2007-10-02 at 12:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    Sod's Law is another name for Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will."

(If you were being humorous here, my apologies for spoiling the joke...)
    You're thinking of Finagle's Law. Murphy's Law is "If there are two or more way to do something, and one of those ways results in a catastrophe, someone will do it that way."
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    You're thinking of Finagle's Law. Murphy's Law is "If there are two or more way to do something, and one of those ways results in a catastrophe, someone will do it that way."
    Wait, isn't Finagle's law just a 'folk' version of murhpy's law? Because Dictionary.com is saying Murphy's law is just the "anything that could go wrong, will" definition.

From Dictionary.com
    Murphy's Law
    –noun
    the facetious proposition that if something can go wrong, it will.
    Also called Murphy's First Law.
    "78% of DM's admit to having started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that hasn't yet, stop fibbing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Thou hast exploded mine brain.
    Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Oh, I can't wait to start racking up the XP for you smelly apes.

20. - Top - End - #20

I thought a fundamental part of Murphy's Law was the addendum, "... and at the worst possible time."
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, so says the fourth definition down on that page.

I'm sorry, I think I helped to derail this thread.

Uhhh... Basically, Samurai is a class that lacks effective abilities in 3.5, and there are a number of alternatives that can fit with the monk samurai flavour.
    Last edited by Ralfarius; 2007-10-02 at 07:57 PM.
    "78% of DM's admit to having started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that hasn't yet, stop fibbing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Thou hast exploded mine brain.
    Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Oh, I can't wait to start racking up the XP for you smelly apes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, really what is the samurai compared to a fighter?

Level by level analysis:
    {table=head]Level|Fighter|Samurai
    1|Bonus Feat|Exotic Weapon (Bastard Sword)
    2|Bonus Feat|Limited TWF
    3|--|Unrestrained Smite 1/day
    4|Bonus Feat|--
    5|--|Limited Quick Draw
    6|Bonus Feat|+4 intimidate
    7|--|Unrestrained Smite 2/day
    8|Bonus Feat|Improved Initiative
    9|--|--
    10|Bonus Feat|Standard Action - Demoralize all in 30ft
    11|--|Limited Improved TWF
    12|Bonus Feat|Unrestrained Smite 3/day
    13|--|--
    14|Bonus Feat|Move Action - Demoralize all in 30ft
    15|--|--
    16|Bonus Feat|Limited Greater TWF
    17|--|Unrestrained Smite 4/day
    18|Bonus Feat|--
    19|--|--
    20|Bonus Feat|Frightful Presence[/table]

The samurai gets the same number of class features as the fighter gets bonus feats. However, the samurai's class features are extremely limited compared to the bonus feats of the fighter. Plus their weapons (bastard and short sword) are inferior to most other weapons and are the only weapons a samurai can use with his class features.

In short: a samurai is a very limited fighter based on a notoriously weak fighting style with weak weapons. And almost all class features can be emulated by feats (and as better versions), so just go with a fighter.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

To make sure I'm understanding that: He gets two-weapon-fighting and quickdraw feats, but only with Bastard Sword and Short Sword, and he's scary. Oh, and he can smite, too. Yeah, that does sound pretty pathetic.

I presume that, by saying that the capstone ability doesn't work, folks just mean that the HD it affects are so low as to be irrelevant to a level 20 character? As in, it technically works, but it just sucks?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I've been considering a couple of alternative class features for the samurai to see if I can't beef them up a bit.

Kiai Focus
    Level: 3rd
    Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain the Kiai Smite abilty at 3rd level, nor do you gain any additional daily uses of that ability at later levels.
    Benefit: Once per day, you may give a great cry that focuses your mind and body on the destruction of your enemies. You may add your Charisma bonus (minimum +1) to all your damage rolls made with your katana or wakizashi for a number of rounds equal to your class level.
    You gain an additional use of this abilty per day at every level you would have gained additional uses of Kiai Smite (7th, 12th, and 17th).

Warrior's Glare
    Level: 4th
    Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain the Staredown, Mass Staredown or Improved Staredown abilities.
    Benefit: You may make a single melee attack against an opponent as a standard action. You may take a penalty on this attack up to an amount equal to your base attack bonus. If the attack hits, you can make an immediate Intimidate check against that opponent, adding a bonus equal to the penalty you applied to your attack. If you gain a damage bonus from the Kiai Smite or Kiai Focus abilities on this attack, you may apply that bonus to the check as well. If the check succeeds, the opponent is shakened for the rest of the encounter. You cannot use this ability to worsen an opponent's fear condition beyond shakened.
    At 10th level, you may use this ability on an opponent who is already shakened to make them frightened.
    At 14th level, you may take a full round action to make a full melee attack, using this ability on every target struck. Make a single Intimidate check and apply the results against the resistance checks of all targets. You cannot apply this ability's effects to the same target more than once per full attack. In addition, you may use this ability on an already frightened target to make them panicked.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

cabbagetheif and i tried to fix it. pretty much made it a fighter with 4+int skill points and fluffy skills. the link is in my sig.

edit: it is under the spoiler with "contributions to the playground"
    Last edited by reorith; 2007-10-02 at 08:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    To make sure I'm understanding that: He gets two-weapon-fighting and quickdraw feats, but only with Bastard Sword and Short Sword, and he's scary. Oh, and he can smite, too. Yeah, that does sound pretty pathetic.
    Yep.

I presume that, by saying that the capstone ability doesn't work, folks just mean that the HD it affects are so low as to be irrelevant to a level 20 character? As in, it technically works, but it just sucks?
    Exactly, Will save DC 20+cha or:
    {table=head]HD|Effect
    up to 4|Panicked, 4d6 rnds
    5-19|Shaken 4d6 rnds
    20+|nothing[/table]

So unless you fight swarms of little guys, nothing happens. Great capstone ability, especially since there is a feat to get almost the same thing (AFB).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I like more the Master Samurai (don't know if it was updated to 3.5 or not) mostly because of the fluffy.
    It's a PrC, meaning that you start off as a normal guy, only studying under a sensei (i.e.: start as a 1st level fighter), and after a certain level, you finally becomes a samurai. You don't start being a full samurai at 1st level.
    The abilities are not so bad. Twice strenght bonus when using a bastard sword two-handed (instead of x1.5), ability to deal max damage (except on criticals) a couple times a day, and these things.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Dhaver's right on the Murphy's law bit. It's really not as pessimistic as it's made out to be, more of a "don't provide an option for somebody to screw something up" than a "life's out to get us all" sort of statement.

29. - Top - End - #29

Samurai's good for a one-level dip if you're planning to take a level of Exotic Weapon Master later in order to get Uncanny Blow, since the bastard sword happens to be an excellent weapon to use with that ability.

That's about it.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

If you go with the OA class, at first level you get a masterwork katana and the other thing. not too bad, useless to take it past that though.