New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Looking for a good system for sea-faring rules

Hey there folks.

A long time ago I tried running a sea faring campaign. The system was D&D 3.5, with some modifications. At the time, I tried using Stromwrack (with a few minor modifications to fit the game), but it was... an immensely cumbersome system, a headache both for me a a GM and for the players.

I recently though up that game again, but the prospect of dealing with that mess doesn't appeal to me. I'm still undecided on the system. I was looking for rules on handling sea-faring:

1- I noticed the Pathfinder system, and I definitely like it's simplified combat system, though it's overall reliance on just the Profession (Sailor) skill is a bit TOO simplified for me. One thing that worried me though, is about when it comes to actual fight between the crews- the system have the PCs fight the other ship's captain and major characters, and kind of ignores the fight between the other crew members. I do like the combat to focus on the PCs, and being smaller and more manageable, but dislike utterly ignoring the other crew. I think force disparity (If by numbers, abilities or skill) should matter. What worries me more is the approach to crew casualties- the system assumes that the crew replenishes it's numbers from those of the defeated crew... Now, while this may be all and well for the Adventure Path it was designed for (I understand it comes from Skulls & Shackles? A pirate campaign?) It doesn't necessarily fit other types of sea faring. What if the two crews don't fit together? (Sworn enemies, don't speak the same language, one crew is made out of mindless undead which collapse once the necromancer dies?) How do you deal with crew casualties?

2- I heard that D&D 5E was supposed to publish a sea faring expansion book. Has it come out yet? Has anyone had any experience with it?

Any advice, ideas and such from people who ran or played sea faring campaigns are appreciated. I'm mostly interested in the following aspects:
    - Naval combat, both between ships and boarding.
    - Running a ship: Both the ship itself, it's supplies and crew.
    - Handling sea voyage: Mostly weather and navigation.

Looking for a mostly simplified system, which runs fairly smoothly, with small- moderate level of complexity. Enough to make the choices meaningful and exciting, not enough to make it an almost separate system to learn.

Thanks in advance,
    Kol.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a good system for sea-faring rules

I suppose the question really comes down to what sea-faring mechanics are important to you? Ship to Ship combat? Crew Combat? Getting lost? Avoiding sinking?

The Spelljammer boxed set War Captain's Companion had some decent rules for crew combat. Ship-to-ship combat also, but maneuvering in Wildspace is very different from maneuvering on the top of an ocean, where wind direction plays a much greater role, so those rules will probably not be useful to you. The Adventures in Space boxed set also had crew combat, but it was kind of clunky, and required a lot of work calculating HD ratios and relative Armor Classes and such. Seemed like more effort than it was worth. You could also try BattleSystem rules.

The D&D Expert rule book had rules for sea travel, including weather and storms.

The 2E AD&D Sourcebook Of Ships and the Sea might be worth checking out. It had seaworthiness ratings for the different ships.

Something that is important to plan for (for Spelljammer campaigns as well) is what happens when the PCs lose? When their ship sinks, does the campaign end? What kinds of rescues will you use? How often can they be used before they become stale?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

You could look at 7th Sea, which is all about a fantasy world of pirates and swashbuckling. The combat system has a lot of adapting and feinting, but it is a bit different than something like DnD.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Are you looking for a stand-alone ruleset you can use with the system of your choice (3.5?), or a new system that includes good vehicle rules?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    You could look at 7th Sea, which is all about a fantasy world of pirates and swashbuckling. The combat system has a lot of adapting and feinting, but it is a bit different than something like DnD.
    ...and it appears Chaosium is releasing a new version...though they did also bring along John Wick, so YMMV

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    ...and it appears Chaosium is releasing a new version...though they did also bring along John Wick, so YMMV

- M
    The second edition of 7th Sea is already out. It is a very different game where the only thing tying it to the original is the setting. Second edition is much more narrative-focused. I found some of the mechanics distracting and less-enjoyable than when I played the first edition all those years ago.