New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What to call heavenly beings

Generally, you could fit all creatures of hell into the blanket term "fiend". What, that is not clestial or angel, could you use to similarly describe the creatures of heaven?

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: What to call heavenly beings

"Sir" is I believe the preferred appellation.
    More seriously I think its "Celestial" usually .
    Time is but a pattern in the currents of causality,
    an ever changing present that determines our reality,
    the past we see as history, the future seed with prophecy,
    and all the time we think on time our time is passing constantly.
    Starlight and Steam RPG

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stewstew5 View Post
    Generally, you could fit all creatures of hell into the blanket term "fiend". What, that is not clestial or angel, could you use to similarly describe the creatures of heaven?
    Fiend might acutally be a bit broad a term for creatures of extraplanar evil - demon/devil/daemon are probably better terms.

However, that is not what you are asking, you want terms for creatures of extraplanar good. My first thought is "go and find a thesuarus and look up 'angel' or 'celestial', but failing that:
    • deva
    • holy
    • seraph
    • exarch

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Easy, you call them heavenly beings.

Or, wait, is there a singular word for that?

Yes, there is! It is "celestial", which comes from Latin "caelestis", meaning "heavenly", which in turn comes from "caelum", meaning sky or heaven.

Why are you reinventing the wheel again?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

5. - Top - End - #5

My initial thought is also “Celestial”.

If you’re speaking to one, perhaps “Your Brightness”, or “Your Resplendance” or something like that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

For a honorific, I think "your Grace" would be most appropriate.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Easy, you call them heavenly beings.

Or, wait, is there a singular word for that?

Yes, there is! It is "celestial", which comes from Latin "caelestis", meaning "heavenly", which in turn comes from "caelum", meaning sky or heaven.

Why are you reinventing the wheel again?
    Exactly this. In cultures where benevolent guardian creatures are not "up" but "around" us they are generally attributed to the aether around you, some kind of proto-scientific understanding of what air is.

But using "ethereal" as a rules word makes D&D wording needlessly unexact unless your fantasy cosmology works exactly like that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

You know, while I agree that "celestial" is the most obvious response, I don't think there's a more appropriate situation to use "your highness" than when speaking to an authority figure that literally descended from the heavens.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

What about referring to them as "Ascendants" or "Ascended"? Though I do, along with other posters above, wonder why "Celestial" wouldn't work?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I second (third? fourth? fifth...?) that Celestial is an acceptable term for any heavenly being.

Depending on the setting, there could be other names too that could fit. In a game I'm currently playing (tribal Rokugan at the dawn of the Empire, when the Kami are still new to the land), they're called names such as Sun Children (being children of Sun and Moon), Great Spirits, Divine Ones, Sky People, Star People, etc... a setting's culture and experience with celestial beings could greatly matter to what they call them and relate to them. Do they only appear to bring news, messages, or commands? Then they could be called Heralds. Are they guides to humankind? Maybe they're then called Shepards or Guides.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Tectorman View Post
    What about referring to them as "Ascendants" or "Ascended"? Though I do, along with other posters above, wonder why "Celestial" wouldn't work?
    because WotC have lawyers and a lot of money and I do not and that frightens me

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

Three things:

A. WotC didn't coin the term "celestial", nor do they hold a copyright on it. You can use it without fear of retribution.
    B. D&D didn't invent the terms, but the idea of having whole disparate groups of demons distinct from devils vs other "fiendish" creatures, and the same with angels vs archons vs other "celestial" critters, IS something they invented.
    C. Your initial context feels very D&D-derived (see B), what are you trying to do exactly? Clarifying your use would help us understand your goal in terminology.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

According to this the word is referenced the earliest in late 14th century, and you can BET a big amount of Christian texts reference that word in the timespan between then and now. So no, you cannot be sued for that.

If you aim for something commercially done and the center piece of your work is divine beings, I can see inventing a new word, even if just to appear on page on of google searches (a friend of mine's whole job was do ensure her company is on page 1 of google for certain search terms, so it is kind of important).
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-04-22 at 02:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

"Celestial" is a common-use word and cannot be copyrighted. Same goes for "fiend", "demon", "devil", "angel" etc.. Furthermore, ruleswise all of these are available under Open Gaming Licence via d20 System Reference Document.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

15. - Top - End - #15

If you want to avoid the word "celestials", call them "empyreans", or maybe "enlighteneds", or even "olympians", even though there's no Olympus.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2019-04-22 at 07:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Nice wingy people" stands out to me as a good pick, "godlets"?

What is the plane they live on?
    If it's heaven: angels
    If it's Celestia: celestials
    If it's custom: anything you want

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jintoya View Post
    If it's custom: anything you want
    I wanted to make a custodians joke but Custodes works fine. It means guardians but you have a LOT of Warhammer 40k lore barreling down your throat.

18. - Top - End - #18

Godbothered, is what I call them, as opposed to mortal worshippers, who are Godbotherers. One bothers the God or Gods with stuff, the other gets bothered BY God or Gods to do stuff.

But then I'm pretty dismissive and/or jokey of any religious experience or faith-related entity in any setting with most characters I play.

Other terms for various heavenly beings:
    Halo Fans
    The Lightbringer Parade
    Lightknights
    Virtuosos
    Holy Birdmen: Agents at Lawful Good
    The Barechested Goody Two Shoes
    ARGH! CAN YOU TURN DOWN THE BRIGHTNESS LEVELS
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Godbothered, is what I call them, as opposed to mortal worshippers, who are Godbotherers. One bothers the God or Gods with stuff, the other gets bothered BY God or Gods to do stuff.

But then I'm pretty dismissive and/or jokey of any religious experience or faith-related entity in any setting with most characters I play.

Other terms for various heavenly beings:
    Halo Fans
    The Lightbringer Parade
    Lightknights
    Virtuosos
    Holy Birdmen: Agents at Lawful Good
    The Barechested Goody Two Shoes
    ARGH! CAN YOU TURN DOWN THE BRIGHTNESS LEVELS
    Halo Fans just promoted a loud "HA!" That got the attention of my boss.

But that aside, they do tend to be very "I'm the best" and "things I say are always right!"
    Both in and out of the biblical understanding of Devine beings, something they share with fans of the game Halo, so it fits. (Not all, just most obviously)

20. - Top - End - #20

Celestial is also used by Steve Jackson games in In Nomine as a synonym for angel (and covers a few lesser beings that aren't technically angels but are similar). There really is no legal ownership of the word.

Copyright is far less protective than you'd think. There is actually little protection of fictional ideas. Copyright typically protects a specific work of fiction and excerpts taken directly from it, but not the actual plot or the artist's ideas. Patents protect ideas, but not generally fictional ones (an invention must be scientifically plausible, so no teleporters or time machines), and the inventor must register the patent with a government. Trademarks protect particular symbols and names, but again not ideas, and must again be specifically registered. It is usually not possible to trademark common dictionary words, so "celestial" would be hard to protect.

For example, google "Timothy Hunter"... he pre-dates a certain other boy wizard by many years.
    Last edited by Kami2awa; 2019-04-23 at 12:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricCircle View Post
    "Sir" is I believe the preferred appellation.
    More seriously I think its "Celestial" usually .
    I usually call heavenly beings, "honey," and that's how I stay married ().

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I usually call heavenly beings, "honey," and that's how I stay married ().
    "Heavenly beings..." in plural...? How many wives do you have?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Planescape used "deva" roughly in parallel to "fiend." Make of that what you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Call them something like My Tallest, The Bright Lords, The Shiney Ones, the Gloweys or something similar

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Meddler, interloper, busy-body...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Meddler, interloper, busy-body...
    Love your signature