New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (OOC) San Francisco by Night II: A Requiem in Fog

(7d10)[5][4][9][6][5][4][5](38) and some extra letters to let this post go through
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I thought I had posted this already, but apparently not...

I'm not rolling. I'll auto fail and resolve the shaken condition that way. I don't particularly want to stand out of the rest of this fight in a haze, but it seems an appropriate moment.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Very well. Karl gains a beat, resolves himself of the Shaken condition, and takes himself out of the fight. With Aisling and Karl "down" in their own ways, that leaves Lillith and Anna left to fend for themselves. This just got very interesting! Do you want to put an IC post up detailing Karl's struggle with his mesmarism or anything?

Posting from my phone ATM, but will try to get an IC post with Beato's reaction up later today.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-08-31 at 12:11 PM.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Initiative order
    Karl 13
    Lillith 12
    Prince Gorman and minions 9
    Anna 9
    Kindred possy 7

(4d10)[7][8][1][3](19)

(6d10)[4][3][8][10][6][6](37)

(7d10)[9][9][1][3][9][6][2](39)
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(6d10)[2][1][3][1][5][4](16)

(8d10)[5][7][4][7][9][9][2][5](48)
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Definitely still interested in part 3. Looking forward to setting up the mental institution / food bank.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm glad. I'm looking forward to returning the game to a bit of street level play (or at least closer than the city politicking that this story focused on). There is obviously going to be some fallout for Anna with Daniel, as well as for Karl with his son... and don't forget the Ghouls!

I have very clear ideas of a few scenes for every character, but please please please be clear with me about what stories you want to play, both with your aspirations and otherwise.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    I'm glad. I'm looking forward to returning the game to a bit of street level play (or at least closer than the city politicking that this story focused on). There is obviously going to be some fallout for Anna with Daniel, as well as for Karl with his son... and don't forget the Ghouls!

I have very clear ideas of a few scenes for every character, but please please please be clear with me about what stories you want to play, both with your aspirations and otherwise.
    Benno, I think most of the plot points and goals of Aisling wouldn't have changed much despite her torpor. If anything, it might have made her be a bit more...vehement in achieving her goals. She's been in torpor twice now in less than a year. Even if this one was a lot shorter than the last one.....

Also...here's the breaking point roll for her learning that first dot in Cruac.

Learning a dot in Cruac is a breaking point for Humanity 4, which is a roll of 2 dice if I'm correct.

(2d10)[8][6](14)

EDIT: As I understand it, that's a normal success for a breaking point. Which means...her Humanity doesn't decrease. But she gains either the Bestial, Wanton or Competitive condition?

I think she had the Competitive condition already from her interaction with Indra. Would that still be in effect post-Torpor? I could make a case for Bestial, given it's tied to Cruac. Wanton might be interesting, but I'm not sure it's as fitting. But ultimately, Benno, I leave the decision to you. I'm fine with any of them, really. More flavor for the character, ultimately.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-09-05 at 03:28 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: (OOC) San Francisco by Night II: A Requiem in Fog

1. Anna intends to search the Prince’s haven for Miho’s mirror.

2. Get the hospital purchased and set up, along with the domain and exclusivity (so nobody else in the city can start a blood farm). This would probably involve cashing in the boons she’s earned with both the Prince and the Ordo. Get Celestine set up as the administrator / CEO, and start identifying candidates to ghoul to be the loyal workers who will take care of making sure the operation stays hidden from the kine authorities / inspectors.
    3. Stay close to Daniel. This will probably involve convincing Ariel she’s not a threat. Or seducing her, whatever it takes.
    4. Have some fun with Gabrielle and Katie, separately, make sure they’re both doing okay.
    5. Gain more information on that gang she and Karl investigated earlier, take them down.
    6. Continue her training with Miho and Julian.
    Edit: 7. Make a good impression on the new Sheriff. She is a hound and wants to do a good job making the city safer.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-09-05 at 09:43 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

I figured I'd repost the aspirations here, Benno, for ease of use.

1. Become known to the Kindred so she is safe from predation.
    2a. Reveal the truth behind her past insofar as how it relates to her Sire, the book and Mother Blackstar's interest.
    2b. Learn all the secrets from the Book of Gazren.
    3a. Destroy Mother Blackstar and take what is hers so it can never hurt Aisling again.
    3b. Investigate the attackers to find out who was truly responsible and why.
    3c. Discover the secrets of Cruac.
    4. Find a way of securing the loyalty of the Ghouls in her service so they can't betray her.

That's what I had in my character sheet. Some of them look like they may not be applicable any longer. Like the first one. Hence the strikeout. I think the one about discovering the attackers was moot as well as I believe that was Indra and her friends.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-09-05 at 09:39 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sorry for the delay in responses.

@Erulasto: Aisling's roll allows her to hold onto her humanity. I believe the Bestial condition would make the most sense both in regards to Aisling's learning of Cruac, and in regards to her nature as a feral child. However, I already have that Aisling has both the Bestial and Competitive conditions on her Character Box! Technically, if you read the condition, it should go away after a day (one day per Blood potency). So Erulasto, I give you a few options.

1. You take Wanton, and therefore have one of each of the Breakingpoint/Lashing Out conditions. This I am least interested in, but I leave it up to you as to how you want to play Aisling.

2. You "keep" Bestial, insofar as the the condition wore off, but then Aisling got it back.

3. We double down on the condition Bestial. It normally gives a -2 to rolls to resist frenzy, -2 to defense, and it makes it easier for others to manipulate her. So instead, we change -2 to -4. This would make Aisling very "fragile" in a way, but would heighten the drama. As a result, playing into and resolving the condition will be worth 2 beats instead.

In regards to your listed Aspirations, the struck out Aspiration was resolved, and the last three are what I have in Aisling's character box. I think the spread on Aspiraiton "3", regarding The Circle of Crone and Lady Blackstar are too heterogenous. Perhaps we can consolidate, change or focus. I like it being focused on The Circle of Crone though.

@TC: I assume the above are scenes you want to explore rather than aspirations. Do you want to explore The Prince's Haven now, before the end of "this scene", or is this something Anna will wait for another night???
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for the delay in responses.

@Erulasto: Aisling's roll allows her to hold onto her humanity. I believe the Bestial condition would make the most sense both in regards to Aisling's learning of Cruac, and in regards to her nature as a feral child. However, I already have that Aisling has both the Bestial and Competitive conditions on her Character Box! Technically, if you read the condition, it should go away after a day (one day per Blood potency). So Erulasto, I give you a few options.

1. You take Wanton, and therefore have one of each of the Breakingpoint/Lashing Out conditions. This I am least interested in, but I leave it up to you as to how you want to play Aisling.

2. You "keep" Bestial, insofar as the the condition wore off, but then Aisling got it back.

3. We double down on the condition Bestial. It normally gives a -2 to rolls to resist frenzy, -2 to defense, and it makes it easier for others to manipulate her. So instead, we change -2 to -4. This would make Aisling very "fragile" in a way, but would heighten the drama. As a result, playing into and resolving the condition will be worth 2 beats instead.

In regards to your listed Aspirations, the struck out Aspiration was resolved, and the last three are what I have in Aisling's character box. I think the spread on Aspiraiton "3", regarding The Circle of Crone and Lady Blackstar are too heterogenous. Perhaps we can consolidate, change or focus. I like it being focused on The Circle of Crone though.

@TC: I assume the above are scenes you want to explore rather than aspirations. Do you want to explore The Prince's Haven now, before the end of "this scene", or is this something Anna will wait for another night???
    Yeah those are to give you scene ideas. Aspirations remain mostly the same I believe. Anna will definitely explore the Prince’s place tonight, as soon as the immediate threat is over.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Benno: I agree that I’m not a huge fan of ‘tripling up’ on the conditions. I think that doubling down on the Bestial condition is the most appropriate. While you’re right, she’d be much more fragile in some ways, it also strikes me as being really ‘in-character’ in a lot of ways. The original concept for Aisling was ‘Maiden of the Wilds’, so…yeah. I’m down for that one. It’s been a pretty traumatic period of time for her, and to top it off with all of a sudden learning the rudimentary secrets of the Circle’s blood magic?

As far as the aspirations go, how does this look?

1. Reveal the truth behind the Book of Gazren and how it relates to his actions with putting her in Torpor.
    2. Find a way of securing the loyalty of her Ghouls so they can’t betray her and build her own herd of devotee’s.
    3. Rise to power in the Circle of Crone to depose Mother Blackstar and take what is hers.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-09-06 at 12:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@TC: Sounds good. We will keep things going then

@Erulasto: Sounds good as well. I will update your character box and mark the Condition "Bestial x2" for simplicity sake. I very much like how you've worded your updated Aspirations. I will also add these to your character box.

As a side thought, how would you feel about doing some sort of short "Torpor Dream Sequence" while the other players wrap things up. It looks like we may go on for a little bit longer, and this may be a good way to explore a few things? Let me know and then I'll write you in IC.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

@TC: Sounds good. We will keep things going then

@Erulasto: Sounds good as well. I will update your character box and mark the Condition "Bestial x2" for simplicity sake. I very much like how you've worded your updated Aspirations. I will also add these to your character box.

As a side thought, how would you feel about doing some sort of short "Torpor Dream Sequence" while the other players wrap things up. It looks like we may go on for a little bit longer, and this may be a good way to explore a few things? Let me know and then I'll write you in IC.
    I think that's a great idea. I didn't think vampires dreamt, but I have absolutely no objections on this route.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I think it's more of a carry over from 1E, but Kindred dream when they are in torpor. This used to be used to explain "fog of the ages" in 1E, but that was nerfed for 2E if I remember correctly. However, per pg 105 of the 2E rulebook, "During her slumber, she experiences strange, nonsensical dreams that keep her mind active and exercised. Usually this means she's prepared to adapt to a new world. Sometimes this goes awry; she wakes up a whole new person, or rarely with distorted memories of her past existence." I'm basically using staking as a form of torpor, which allows for the dramatic dreaming I'm going to include for you in my upcoming IC post, but also is a valid interpretation from the book (also page 105).
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Anna's wits + investigation + WP (8d10)[5][9][4][7][5][1][9][5](45)
    and 10 again (8d10)[8][9][1][4][10][1][8][3](44)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, just spitballing here,

It seems to me like Alejandro and Julian are the highest ranking kindred here, but with them having a problem with each other right now, it doesn't seem likely that either will be able to effectively take charge. Correct? Would the group in general at least take instruction from Karl in such a situation?

From there, I am guessing that we do not have a professional Fixer/Cleaner on hand. If so that probably makes Karl the closest thing the group has to an expert at this. His focus is usually on trying to uncover the truth rather than cover it up, but he would still rather intimately familiar with what methods do and do not usually work in regards to keeping police/detectives off of the right trail.

With that in mind, Int+Investigation roll to consider such possibilities? (9d10)[5][3][5][4][6][10][1][5][8](47)
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Correct? Would the group in general at least take instruction from Karl in such a situation?
    I'd be happy to let you make a Presence+ Expression/Persuasion roll + Status Kindred/SF to see to what extent the group would take to Karl's leadership.

In regards to the roll you made, I count two successes, but before we resolve it, I want to make sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to figure out what Masquerade breeches need to be cleaned up, or what the best means of getting rid of evidence is, or what?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd be happy to let you make a Presence+ Expression/Persuasion roll + Status Kindred/SF to see to what extent the group would take to Karl's leadership.

In regards to the roll you made, I count two successes, but before we resolve it, I want to make sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to figure out what Masquerade breeches need to be cleaned up, or what the best means of getting rid of evidence is, or what?
    Ultimately, we need to figure both out, but the roll was intended for the latter

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Anna’s not going to spend a whole lot of time in the basement with the others. Once it becomes apparent there’s not much there she’ll head to the rest of the mansion. Then she’ll do a quick once over to find likely hiding places or maybe she’ll get lucky and it’ll be laying out, after which she’ll search the most likely places until someone stops her, the cleanup is almost done, or there’s two hours remaining until sunrise because she wants enough time to go get her car and get home to sleep.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All right, the way I see it, we have three options to push for in regards to covering things up. Three stories to tell.

Presumably, enough of the staff here have families to make pretending like nothing happened not an option.

Option one, we clean this place stem to stern, and make it look like everyone just walked out and vanished. That is a lot of missing person cases however, and even if we do an excellent job getting rid of every last scrap of evidence, that kind of thing will have people poking into the matter for decades to come just for the sheer mystery of it all, and those people could easily stumble upon other interesting things about The night life here.

Option two, we clean things up most of the way and arrange for what looks like an accidental natural gas explosion. Regrettably the staff were trapped and burned to death. If successful, this would lead to the fewest questions going forward, but there are a lot of things that can give the game away, especially if some of the bodies remain intact enough to prove they died from something other than fire or smoke inhalation. Which is pretty likely, since again we cannot use accelerants without making it obvious that it was arson. Arson specialists are getting good enough at that these days that they can tell you specifically what refinery the gasoline used to start a fire came from and from there narrow down the potential places it was bought.

Option three, embrace the carnage. Don't bother hiding the fact that people were murdered here. Instead, make it look like an entirely human serial killer finally went completely nuts, killed the people working for him, and deliberately burned down his home before disappearing. This would definitely have severe social implications, and the cops will be all over the matter. On the plus side, it means we would not have to bother hiding the evidence of murder and arson, just the evidence that we were involved for that vampires or anything else of the sort exist. In addition, we will be pointing the cops at a red herring, with any luck at all they will start chasing the official owner of the home, who I assume does not actually exist. As a bonus, in supporting the story, it's really does not hurt that the owner of this place actually was a Serial killer and left the bodies to prove it.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-10 at 12:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I am assuming Daishain's post above is for the players, so I won't respond to this.

I simply want to apologize for being MIA the last few days. Taking care of the puppy, plus a certain amount of self imposed stress/guilt about my and my wife's work schedules in relation to taking care of the dog has left me very strung out lately.

(I won't bore you but put simply, we both work long hours, but want the best for the dog without leaving it alone all day. Fortunately, we have figured a few things out)

I am working on posts for all games now, but just wanted to apologize, as I know I went silent without reaching out.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I was trying to work through my thinking on this, and hoping for some input from either you or the other players. I've about reached my limit in terms of being able to fake being an expert on the sort of thing trying to work out the best response to the situation, and I'm not sure I want to Google stuff like "how do I make arson look like an accident?"

Also, congratulations on the new addition to the family, I hope you are happy together. Do make sure to get started on training early, especially if it is a large breed or a working-class dog. It will save you a lot of headaches later
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-12 at 04:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you!!! I took the week off to do just that. He's whip smart, picks up on things early. Almost 9 weeks now but holds his bladder/bowel for 4-5 hours and waits almost always till we get outside to go (I take him out more frequently, but even still he doesn't go that often).

In terms of your options, I will let the other players weigh in.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    I was trying to work through my thinking on this, and hoping for some input from either you or the other players. I've about reached my limit in terms of being able to fake being an expert on the sort of thing trying to work out the best response to the situation, and I'm not sure I want to Google stuff like "how do I make arson look like an accident?"

Also, congratulations on the new addition to the family, I hope you are happy together. Do make sure to get started on training early, especially if it is a large breed or a working-class dog. It will save you a lot of headaches later
    We don’t have to go into super specifics. We can just state the outcome we want to achieve, benmo gives us the difficulty, we rolll along with the other Kindred however many times we have hours left, and let the dice determine how successful we are. Then we rp out the consequences in the next chapter.

Honestly I’m fine with Karl taking charge at this point and directing everyone in cleanup and that’s the important RP part.

Edit: also what Karl suggested about waiting a day or two was pretty much my thought as well. It would take that long to get a warrant to search the place.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-09-12 at 07:41 PM.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@TC: Just to be clear, Father Benito Pedro Cambon (ie Padre Calavera) is still the Nosferatu Primogen of The Spear, regardless of the destruction of Prince Gorman or their allegiance.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

@TC: Just to be clear, Father Benito Pedro Cambon (ie Padre Calavera) is still the Nosferatu Primogen of The Spear, regardless of the destruction of Prince Gorman or their allegiance.
    Ok. Hmm. He probably hates my guts because we helped Julian capture Mobius and return him to the Ordo. And helped the brujah kill one of his ppl tho he probably doesn’t know that.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-09-14 at 11:17 AM.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I think it’s safe to assume that the coterie is not loved by the Spear ;)
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it’s safe to assume that the coterie is not loved by the Spear ;)
    Yeah? We don't love them either!