New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The new general "Dominions 5" Thread

Assuming that that's all the elves that we care about for comparison purposes, that's an average protection of 12.4 and average defense of 16.5 including the Jann Guards, or 12.33 and 16.67 respectively without, with 12 being the mode protection and 19 being the mode defense, so Jann Guards are about average in terms of protection and defense on a per-unit basis. I would however note that Jann Guards are size 3 whereas infantry elves are size 2, only have one standard attack per unit whereas cavalry elves (excluding sea-form Morvarc'h Knights) have two, and - unlike the berserking Vanheres, flying Valkyries, and fire-breathing land-form Morvarc'h Knights - don't really have anything particularly special going for them beyond the 'standard' elf special abilities of glamour and stealth. They're not bad, per se, but I can't say that I think that they're nearly as good as the other elves.
    Hmm.. yes alright. The protection of the Jann Guard isnt that much higher than the average.
    Im still not entirely certain if they are better than other elves or not. They are cheap compared to the mounted ones.
    And got decent hp, as well as a moderately hard punch and 5 FR. But no i think they are nice value for your gold. Not brokenly good.

So the giant-elf is only dealing some 5 damage (with slashing) against the Dai Bakemono, while the giant samurai's no-dachi is tearing back at a whooping 20 damage (with slashing) average. That means the Dai Bakemono only needs two hits (or a single lucky one) to slay the giant-elf, with something like a regeneration bless being completely useless, while the giant-elf would need some 5-6 blows and is whiffing some of them due to repels from the reach 2 no-dachi. Glamour is the only thing keeping the fight somewhat fair, but even then with only 11 actual defense (don't think shield parry helps with glamour), that only means the Dai Bakemono is just missing one attack average before they draw blood.
    Isnt slashing multiplier after protection? Its 28 damage minus 13 prot. That gives 15. Or well alright, increased by 25%, and with iron vulnerability it likely becomes 19-something. Might as well call it 20 average.
    But as i understand you need to inflict damage. Not just score a hit to end glamour? The shield does have a better than average chance of blocking the entire hit.
    But yes i can easily see how unblessed Jann Guard ends up getting kicked around by Dai Bakemono. I can also easily see a modest bless turning the fight around.

But if the Pokémon Champions are meant to be the active stars of the show, then why would they be the ones getting the nerf here?
    Because the show in question is the actual fighting. Thats where they are suposed to shine. And likely already going to do so with their naturally high paths.
    And the nerf doesnt affect their ability to act there.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2019-12-30 at 08:34 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Isnt slashing multiplier after protection? Its 28 damage minus 13 prot. That gives 15. Or well alright, increased by 25%, and with iron vulnerability it likely becomes 19-something. Might as well call it 20 average.
    But as i understand you need to inflict damage. Not just score a hit to end glamour? The shield does have a better than average chance of blocking the entire hit.
    Initially yes, but dom5 added shield breaking mechanics and slashing weapons happen to be super-effective for this purpose, so the 28 dmg no-dachi has decent odds of breaking them.

But yes i can easily see how unblessed Jann Guard ends up getting kicked around by Dai Bakemono. I can also easily see a modest bless turning the fight around.
    True, but the complicated part is getting a bless that's efficient for both the giant elf troops and mages. Like some extra defense/attack would really help the guard's odds, but not do much for the mages. The mages would love some regen/reinv, the guards not so much.

Because the show in question is the actual fighting. Thats where they are suposed to shine. And likely already going to do so with their naturally high paths.
    And the nerf doesnt affect their ability to act there.
    But not all of them really have hight paths:

Out of the 52 Pokémon Champions currently in the mod, only 16 can realistically reach lv.4+ magic in a single magic path, with another 10 able to realistically reach lv.3 magic in a path. That leaves about half of the Pokémon Champions usually stuck at 2 in any path. Then their limited body slots makes their use of magic boosters significantly more limited.

If I just (re)add negative ritualist/crafter on all the Pokémon champions, I feel like those with lower paths will really struggle to be worth the buy, in particular when they're still 4 commander points to a basic trainer's 2 that also brings lv.2 magic while most Pokémon champions demand a specific type of terrain to boot (setting up a lab/fort in a swamp/wasteland is hardly convenient).

So what gives? Buff all the Pokémon champions so they have reliable lv.3+ magic in a single path?
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-12-30 at 10:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

True, but the complicated part is getting a bless that's efficient for both the giant elf troops and mages. Like some extra defense/attack would really help the guard's odds, but not do much for the mages. The mages would love some regen/reinv, the guards not so much.
    Well, if you decide to blow all your bless points on a mage bless, then you can hardly allow yourself to complain when elite infantry munch on your sacreds.

Out of the 52 Pokémon Champions currently in the mod, only 16 can realistically reach lv.4+ magic in a single magic path, with another 10 able to realistically reach lv.3 magic in a path. That leaves about half of the Pokémon Champions usually stuck at 2 in any path. Then their limited body slots makes their use of magic boosters significantly more limited.

If I just (re)add negative ritualist/crafter on all the Pokémon champions, I feel like those with lower paths will really struggle to be worth the buy, in particular when they're still 4 commander points to a basic trainer's 2 that also brings lv.2 magic while most Pokémon champions demand a specific type of terrain to boot (setting up a lab/fort in a swamp/wasteland is hardly convenient).

So what gives? Buff all the Pokémon champions so they have reliable lv.3+ magic in a single path?
    hmm.. actually.. that they lack the ability to use a lot of regular boosters just kinda means that a lot of them are not that relevant as ritual casters to start with.
    And it also seems like a lot of them pokemon with just 1-2 in their main paths either got some nasty cross paths, or decent thug potential.
    But you dont have to do anything. It was just a suggestion to bring a sharper division of roles between pokemon and humans.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Very well, I'll keep that in mind.

Now for something a bit different:

Download Gerudo 1.00

So with the start of the new year I decided to try my hand at something new and thus worked on a non-Pokémon mod for a change, and since I already had sone some planning on how a Gerudo nation should go, here we are.
    As seen in the preview pic, also tried my hand at making the sprites more on line with the Dominions traditional art. Still got some stuff using art from the Zelda games though.
    Plus wanted to try out to make some fancier events.

Highlights:
    -Directly inspired in the classic Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask depiction of of Gerudo (Breath of the Wild Gerudo may come later as a LA nation)
    -Nation of mostly lightly armored stealthy troops besides the sacred Iron Knuckles.
    -Everything has Death Recruitment plus the nation takes less growth/income/supply penalty for taking Death Scales.
    -Several foreign recruit troops depending on terrain, including sacred light cavalry that is only available outside of forts.
    -Provinces with dominion and no Gerudo Guards will get raided by thieves. Move a Gerudo Guard there to bring them to justice!
    -More special things may happen if you have a strong fire and ice witch in the same province.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Pokemon 1.305 release
    -Some summoning spells weren't getting the right Pokémon (in particular the Snorlax one), should be fixed now.
    -Fixed Team Rocket's Grunt Scout unrest generation from 10 to 1/turn.
    -Added custom event chains for each Pokémon nation where searching for magic sites at an un-forted province with your dominion if there's not a nurse around will trigger a Pokémon assassination.
    Then if you search the province again with a magic of the right type of magic (lv3+ on the respective path if the event says "skilled", lv2+ if the event says good), you get some free shiny Pokémon. Then 6-18 turns later the Province will get attacked by indie Pokémon (if it still has your dominion and no fort), then the chain will reset.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Pokémon 1.306 release. Fixes Violet City's Jr Trainer Girl main path (was earth instead of air) and some more summoning spells (shiny psyduck team summoned rhydons, another of Goldenrod was summoning Pewter Pokémon, Azalea could summon Emerald Lords in battle).