Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VII: Your Custom Planeswalker Card Died in War of the Spa

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Blogatog has misled me!
    This one?

The rules taken literally as they are now don't technically allow it but the rules get updated with every new mechanic and the change to allow snow, colorless or phyrexian devotion would be so minimal and intuitive (with slight complications for colorless) that people wouldn't notice. It's still just counting the number of symbols. Take away the explicit mention of color and say "mana symbols of that type among permanents you control" and boom, you're done.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VII: Your Custom Planeswalker Card Died in War of the Spa

Had some trouble accessing the forums yesterday so now, a bit late, time for judgement!

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Prismatic Pontiff 3
    Creature - Human Cleric (R)
    Prismatic Pontiff is all colors.
    You have devotion equal to 7 for each color.
    Creatures you control that have restrictions as to when they may attack or block, may attack or block as if they did not have those restrictions.
    Shackles are for mortals
    2/2
    An interesting idea to be sure, but um... that seems REALLY powerful? Like yeah it's a 2/2 for 3 that "does nothing", but like... the amount of things that you could curve this into to get some massive gains are kind of insane. I do like the idea of "creatures you control that have restrictons on when they may attack or block" part, that's a fascinating idea since it shuts off some good soft removal as well as makes the gods able to attack without the right devotion (though given how this card works they'd be fine to attack anyway...). So yeah, some interesting pieces, but they don't really come together.

Spoiler: mythmonster2
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Kore, God of Spring 4G
    Legendary Enchantment Creature- God (MR)
    Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to black and green is less than seven, Kore isn't a creature.
    Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it and you gain two life. If it escaped, instead put two +1/+1 counters on it and you gain three life.
    Escape: 4B, Exile five other cards from your graveyard.
    6/7
    Interesting that Kore's mana cost isn't black green, but they still care about black and green. Given they have a B costed ability, I think it works. I love this as a sort of "escape lord", especially given the obvious intended flavor behind it. It's really clever about who this is based on, without being overt or obvious, and I think that's the best sort of design. Mechanically speaking it's also really solid and feels very fitting for its colours.

Spoiler: Necrotic Plague
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Frayer of Borders BB2
    Creature-Enchantment Zombie
    Frayer of Borders has +1/+1 for each creature in exile.
    Escape BBB2, exile at least one creature card from your graveyard.
    1/1
    Escape works by exiling any card from your graveyard, not just creatures, and I don't feel like the restriction needs to be changed here since you'd almost universally be wanting TO hit creatures when escaping. I feel like BBB2 is a bit much, it's bloated in mana cost symbols and honestly if you're able to reliably cast a BB2 you're gonna be able to supply that extra B. I like the idea of it getting stronger as more creatures are exiled mechanically, but I don't really feel the flavor here. I'd expect something with this mechanic to be a servant of Erebos, but here it's just kinda... generic-y. An interesting card, marred by some of the mechanical and flavor decisions.

Spoiler: Dr Gunsforhands
    Show
    [QUOTE=Dr.Gunsforhands;24335444]Slifer, the Executive Producer - 2UU
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
    Flying, Indestructible
    This enchantment's power is equal to the number of cards in your hand. If that number is less than seven, this enchantment isn't a creature.
    You have no maximum hand size.
    Sacrifice 3 creatures: Draw 3 cards.
    */7

You could just go with "This card's power" and it would work.

Otherwise, the joke is on you Dr Gunsforhands, this isn't a bad card even as a joke. Saccing three creatures to draw three cards is way too strong and obviously just, completely broken in the right circumstances, but everything else is actually decidedly interesting. Re-flavored and with the last ability rebalanced a lot, this could be a card that could win.

Spoiler: DeTess
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Odyssey 1WG
    Enchantment-Saga R
    flash
    1. Exile target creature.
    2. Search your library for a land and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your Library.
    3. ~ deals damage to up to one target creature equal to the creature exiled with ~'s power.
    4. Return the creature exiled with ~ to the battlefield under its owner's control with two +1/+1 counters. It has haste until end of turn.
    Now this is fascinating a card. It's very, very overtly based on Odysseus so that's cool, and it fits him quite well. I don't quite know why it has flash, but that's because I haven't read the Odyssey in awhile. I kinda wish this card had a bit stronger a name, because even just adding a "the" at the start there would make it feel grander, but that aside this is great. My only issue with it is that I don't feel like the haste fits WG as a colour, but given the context I would allow it.

Spoiler: Laughing Dog
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    Arkantos, Atlantean Admiral 1R(U/W)
    Legendary Creature- Human Soldier R
    First Strike
    Heroic- Whenever you cast a spell that targets Arkantos, Atlantean Admiral, creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.
    2/2
    A pretty simple card, but given it's designed to be a three colour two-hybrid legendary that's to be expected. That's limiting your space for creative design a lot since it as to be something red can do, and something both blue and white can do. I think you manage pretty good though, it's a mechanically cool legendary.

Also I realize Atlantis was inhabited by people (well, "was" you know what I mean) but Arkantos here not being a merfolk feels weird to me and I'm not sure why. Also, no flavor text which is sad cause there is definitely room for some.

Spoiler: ben-zayb
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Alkedes, Guilty-Hearted WRG
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - Demigod M
    Indestructible, Double Strike, Trample
    Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets ~, you may put a quest counter on it. If you do, it fights up to one target creature that dealt combat damage to you or a creature you control this turn.
    ~ can't attack or block as long as it has less than twelve quest counters on it.
    6/6
    Ooh, this is pretty cool Hercules reference. He seems suitably strong, but severely limited by his Heroic downside, which I love flavor wise since "heroes himself into a problem" is kind of Herc's thing. I think this might be a bit hard to actually DO in game mind you, since a lot of the spells you'd want to cast on him kinda... would like him to attack or block please, so I might alter this to be "he can attack and block when targetted as well", but otherwise this seems like a pretty fascinating idea for a card.

Spoiler: Gauntlet
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Diantha, Knowledge Seeker - 1UU

Legendary Creature - Human Cleric - Rare

Constellation - Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, Scry 2.

Whenever you scry and put all the cards you looked at on the bottom of your library, you may sacrifice an enchantment. If you do, draw a card.

"The gods bring us knowledge, but something is missing. There are more secrets, hidden deep in the starlight and the shadows."

1/3
    Now this is just... really interesting. I love the sort weird dig attached to the scry if you put both cards on the bottom. That's really unique an idea, I like it! Otherwise she's pretty basic, but in a strong, cool way.

Spoiler: Ninjaman
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Heliods Decree - 3WWW
    Legendary Enchantment - M
    Constellation - Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile target nonland permanent until that enchantment leaves the battlefield.
    This is pretty powerful, and the triple W is a bit bloated but it's Theros, the one world where that's almost sort of okay. This is honestly a really cool effect (so cool that Calix effectively has it as one of his planeswalker abilities!), my only issue is I'm not 100% sure this is a very Heliod-y effect, if that makes sense? The flavor is just a touch off, but that may just be me associating it too strongly with Calix, and thus Klothys in a sense. Still, a powerful and interesting card, with a heavy cost that seems probably warranted.

Spoiler: Durkoala
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Plateau of Divine Thrones 4

Legendary Artefact—Fortification

Indestructible

While ~ is attached to a land, your devotion to
    any colour of mana that land would produce is increased
    by 1.

When Fortified Land becomes tapped for mana, target
    Enchantment card gets +1/+1 and becomes a creature
    until end of turn.

Fortify: Reveal a God card from your hand and put it on
    the bottom of your deck.
    Fortify, huh? That's an interesting idea. I... do feel liek you could do this with an aura that enchants a land better, with an additional cost to cast being "reveal a god and put it on the bottom of your deck" but I get it, right? You wanna make something unique and cool. I get it.

And honestly this is a pretty cool card, but right now it's a bit too... hard to actually make use of? In draft revealing a god card is almost never going to happen, and while you can manage it in constructed it's also putting what is presumably a really good card for your deck on the bottom of your deck, effectively removing it from the game forever since you're never gonna see that card again. I think it might be more balanced to just "reveal an enchantment and put it on the bottom" since then it's easier TO fortify, and can then begin doing the really cool idea of making an enchantment come to life... which is unfortunately right now pretty weak because unless you're targetting an enchantment creature this is just going to make a 1/1.

So yeah, a really cool and inventive idea that just... needed a bit more refinement.

Spoiler: Quiddle
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Iona, God of Eternities 2C
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - God
    Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to C is less than 5 Iona, God of Eternities isn't a creature.
    Whenever a creature you control attacks, exile the top card of the defending player's library.
    3: You may play cards exiled by Iona, God of Eternities this turn and you may spend colorless mana as though it were mana of any type to play those cards..
    7/7
    Colourless devotion could work with some tweaking so I'll allow it. It's fine and good, and I think a cool idea that they should look into in the future.

Mechanically this card is kinda cool. She effectively gives everyone Ingest 1, eating up your opponents deck and giving you some cool cards to cast since any time you cast your opponent's cards, it is cool. However it's uh... not worded right. Iona doesn't exile the cards, the creatures attacking do. The wording you'd want is to exile them under Iona. Think like Jeleva. Her effect exiled the cards directly, whereas Iona here, her effect just says "other creatures now exile stuff". Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but it is a bit of an error.

Spoiler: Tom the Mime
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Thassa, Oil-slicked 3(U/P)(U/P)
    Legendary enchantment creature - God MR
    Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to phyrexia and blue is less than 7, ~ isn't a creature.
    For the first spell you cast each turn, U mana in spells can be paid for with 2 life
    Whenever you pay life to cast a spell, scry 1 and tap up to one target creature.
    As the oil spread over the sea, Thassa was corrupted
    6/5
    Much like with devotion to colourless, devotion to Phyrexia would involve some tweaking but would be possible and I think totally cool. I feel like allowing your first blue spell each turn to be castable from life is PROBABLY a bit too strong, especially combined with the scry one on top of it. Every opponent turn you use the counterspell you held up (and can cast for basically nothing) to counter their best thing and then scry for your next counterspell. It's kind of a lot!

That said, this is pretty rad, and I like the flavor and mechanical feel of it.

Lotta good entries, but only one can win. It was a tough choice, but I have to give it to...

Spoiler
    Show
    Mythmonster! You've won, congratulations!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-01-18 at 11:53 AM.

Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

@Lazodiac, I gave the card flash mostly for gameplay reasons, as this way the first mode can be used to save a creature you care about from removal or similar, or as a combat trick against an opponent's creature.

Anyway, thanks for judging!
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-01-18 at 12:58 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #874
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Thank you for the victory! I was kind of worried about my card not having many black elements that justified its inclusion, but I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't make the card feel bloated.

Now, we just did Theros, let's move onto Ikoria! Maro has said that there is a "build your own monster" mechanic in it. Your challenge is to make a build-your-own-monster mechanic and show it off on a card. If you're clever and can figure out a way to use a previous mechanic to build a monster, that is also allowed. Extra cards to better explain the mechanic are allowed, but only one will be judged.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler: Laughing Dog
    Show

A pretty simple card, but given it's designed to be a three colour two-hybrid legendary that's to be expected. That's limiting your space for creative design a lot since it as to be something red can do, and something both blue and white can do. I think you manage pretty good though, it's a mechanically cool legendary.

Also I realize Atlantis was inhabited by people (well, "was" you know what I mean) but Arkantos here not being a merfolk feels weird to me and I'm not sure why. Also, no flavor text which is sad cause there is definitely room for some.

I was having difficulty deciding what the flavor text should be, and at the time decided to come back to it later. As you well know, life happens and we forget the little things.
    Possible flavor texts:
    "Prostaghma?"
    "Isvoli!"
    "All who threaten Atlantis will have a place in my dreams."
    "Soon, you'll have a placed in my dreams."
    "Yaaaah!"

-----

Sacred Mold 3W
    Enchantment Artifact- R
    Constitute- 3W, T: Create a 3/3 white Angel creature token.
    Creatures you Constitute enter the battlefield with flying and an additional +1/+1 counter.

Spoiler: Constitute mechanic
    Show
    When a player Constitutes, they create a creature token. Most cards that constitute would be permanents with a Constitute ability and some ability that alters the token. However, Instants or Sorceries could Constitute as well.

Spoiler: Additional Constitute Cards
    Show

Deadrise Machina B
    Artifact- U
    Constitute- 1B, T: Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
    Creatures you Constitute enter the battle field with Last-Strike.

Bear Den 1G
    Enchantment- U
    Constitute- 1G: Create a 2/2 green Bear Creature Token.

Shimmerscale Bed 2U
    Enchantment- R
    Constitute- 1UU: Create a 1/1 blue Merfolk Creature token.
    Creatures you Constitute enter the battlefield with hexproof and "This creature is unblockable."

Forge of Ferocity RRR
    Enchantment Artifact- R
    Constitute- RR, T: Create a 1/1 red Soldier Artifact Creature token.
    Creatures you Constitute enter the battlefield with Double-Strike and 2 additional +1/+1 counters.

Chest of Wonders WUBRG
    Legendary Enchantment Artifact- MR
    Creatures you control have indestructible.
    Constitute- 5: Create a legendary 5/5 Spirit Creature token named "Euthymos, The Child" that is all colors.
    Creatures you Constitute enter the battlefield with Deathtouch, Haste, Shroud, Trample, and Vigilance.

Spoiler: Confusing Steer Manure
    Show
    Conversion Matrix (2/W)(2/U)(2/B)(2/R)(2/G)
    Enchantment Artifact - MR
    Creature tokens enter the battle field with X +1/+1 counters, X is their converted mana cost
    Exile a spell you control: Create a 0/0 creature token that is the same colors as the exiled spell and has a mana cost equal to the exiled spells converted mana cost. As it enters the battle field you may choose up to the X abilities from the following list, where X is the exiled spells converted mana cost. For each ability chosen the creature enters the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter. The abilities that may be chosen are flying, deathtouch, double strike, haste, hexproof, indestructible, last strike, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, and vigilance.
    Last edited by Laughing Dog; 2020-01-25 at 08:23 PM.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    C'mon RNG, play nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

6. - Top - End - #876

Hungering Behemoth 2GG
    Creature - Monster Beast (R)
    When ~ enters the battlefield or attacks, consume 1.
    If ~ shares a colour with a consumed enchantment, it gains +2+2 and Trample.
    4/4
    Beware the Behemoth, for its maw is hungry and sharp.

Consume X rule text
    *to consume, exile a number of non-creature enchantment from your graveyard or battlefield under the consuming creature, equal to the consume number. It gains all card text from the consumed enchantments.
    *If the enchantment is a non-aura, consuming creature is <CARD NAME>
    *If the consumed enchantment is an aura, consuming creature is the enchanted creature.
    *When the consuming creature is destroyed, return all enchantments it has consumed to the graveyard.

Various ways this mechanic would be used; the naturalize equivalent would effectively be a fight spell or enchantment removal, there would be Monster lovers that make Monsters better (and note that monsters in this case can be more than just beasts, you can get Monster Vampires or Humans, the idea is that anything in this world that has decided to eat magic is now a Monster), Monster haters that make them worse, ways to remove or retrieve enchantments that got eaten, and at least one legendary that would have a way of directly fighting other Monsters and eating their enchantments off of them.

There would also be enchantment creatures in the set that have enchantment like effects on them, but with the rider of "if this card is in the graveyard, it's not a creature".
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-01-20 at 08:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, the phyrexian replacement cost does end up being too good. Originally it was for all of the coloured mana before realising that was crazy broken but blue was probably one of the least broken with red aggro going crazy with it and the others, especially white, having enough lifegain to treat it with impunity. When limited to the first card, it'd probably be less broken with white and black even though they can afford it, it just given a little ramp. Trickier with green as they've got some high colour weight cards like gigantosaurus.

Onto the current challenge. The host/augment from unstable would be nice but it already exists. So I'm starting with a kind of reverse bestow.

Coalescing Shapeshifter 1U
    Creature - Shapeshifter U
    Chimera (When ~ enters the battlefield, you many exile any number of creatures you control that share a creature type with it. Whenever a creature that shares a creature type with ~ enters the battlefield under your control you may exile it. ~ gains all abilities of creatures exiled with it and +X/+Y where X is the sum of the exiled creatures power and Y is the sum of their toughness)
    1: Coalescing Shapeshifter becomes the creature type of your choice until end of turn.
    1/1

Considered exiling until it leaves the battlefield but then a chimera in a chimera could set up infinite combos too easily with another good etb effect. Opens you up to 2-for-1's unless you have hexproof in your chimera but with this (or if you chimera anything with changeling), you can find ability combos or take advantage of creatures that you'd have to sacrifice on etb.

For chimeras without easy access to hexproof, it might be an idea to have an ability to send creatures exiled with it to the graveyard for a minor effect at instant speed(?) so people wouldn't shy away from it for fear of point removal. This effect would be weaker for tribals with more cheap creatures like goblins than beasts. You could probably get away with making 3/3's for beasts given there's not too many small beasts that would take it as an upgrades. There are a few but it's obviously less problematic than allowing it for goblins, making every tiny goblin a 3/3 beast.

Spoiler: Possible examples
    Show

Chimaeric Beast 2G
    Creature - Beast U
    Chimera
    Send a creature exiled by ~ to the graveyard: Create a 3/3 green beast token
    3/3

Goblin Amalgam 2R
    Creature - Goblin U
    Chimera
    ~ gets an additional +1/+1 for each creature exiled by it.
    Send a creature exiled by ~ to the graveyard: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or planeswalker
    1/1

Stitched Monstrosity 2B
    Creature - Zombie U
    Chimera
    Send a creature exiled by ~ to the graveyard: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature
    2/2

My main issue is that it probably can't appear on enough different cards in a set to make it a full fledged mechanic.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-01-19 at 07:05 AM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

The wording on this is probably going to be somewhat off.

Deep-sea Kraken 5UU
    creature - Kraken R
    Islandwalk
    whenever ~ attacks, you may tap target permanent.
    Mutate - 1UU: the mutated creature is a blue kraken in addition to its other types and colors, and gets +1/+3, islandwalk and 'whenever this creature attacks, you may tap target permanent.'
    5/7

mutate's rules text: whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may cast this card for its mutate cost. If you do, exile this card mutating that creature.

Spoiler: other examples
    Show

Behemoth 4GG
    creature - beast U
    trample
    mutate 2G: the mutated creatrure is a green beast in addition to its other types and colors, and gets +3/+3 and trample
    6/6

Dragon 4RR
    creature - Dragon R
    flying, haste
    R: gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
    Mutate 3R: The mutated creature is a red dragon in addition to its other types and colors, and gets +1/+1, flying, haste and 'R: this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.'
    5/5

Zombie 1B
    creature - zombie C
    mutate B: The mutated creature is a black zombie in addition to its other types and gets +1/+1.
    2/2

Blank Slate 1
    creature - changeling C
    spells with mutate that target ~ cost 1 less to cast.
    1/1

Last edited by DeTess; 2020-01-20 at 07:26 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

9. - Top - End - #879

WolfInSheepsClothing

Adapted Celestial 2W
    Creature - Angel R
    Adaptation: Flying {1}, Vigilance {1} Lifelink {W}, First Strike {2}, Double Strike {2WW} (You may pay any number of the listed costs as you cast this spell to have this creature enter with a counter granting the listed keyword)
    3/3

For example, you can pay 3WW for a 3/3 with flying and lifelink. A little overpriced, but that's the cost of being choosy.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Troll in the Playground

Bihi Mothrider 2W
    Creature - Human Soldier C
    When this creature enters the battlefield, it breeds 1. (Either create a 0/0 Behemoth creature token with one +1/+1 counter on it or add one +1/+1 counter to a Behemoth you control. Place this creature next to the behemoth it bred.)
    Flying
    Bihi Mothrider's behemoth has flying.
    1/1

A creature's behemoth is the one it bred most recently; if it breeds another somehow, it forgets about the previous one, though the counters it already made still stick around. This way, you can have multiple creatures team up to breed the ultimate behemoth without needing a sprawling conspiracy map of their relationships.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-01-23 at 01:15 AM.
    Leo, Ajax, Deshy.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

Springling - 1G
    Creature - Treefolk - U
    Colossal 2 2G
    Springling enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
    Springling gets +1/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on it.
    0/0

Colossal X Y(When you cast this creature you may pay Y, if you do this creature enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.)
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2020-01-20 at 02:57 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #882

Battlescarred Behemoth - 3GG

Creature - Beast - Rare

Trample, Vigilance

Battlescarred Behemoth has Indestructible if its power is 6 or more.

Empower - 2GG, Discard Battlescarred Behemoth: Put five +1/+1 counters on target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

5/5

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

Efamod, Martial Yegg 2RR
    Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (R)
    Exemplar - 1R (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its Exemplar cost. If you do, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature and "enchanted creature has all abilities that this card would have if it was a creature.")
    Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, you may have it gain all keyword abilities of that creature until end of your next turn. If you do, that creature loses those abilities until end of your next turn.
    "Learn from Efamod's adroitness so that you may steal others skill."
    5/3
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2020-01-22 at 12:19 PM.
    Spoiler: YinBao
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    Yea, that is a nice rabbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    YinBao is fluffy and warm like all rabbits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    Yes, I am a shameless YinBao fan...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
    YinBao and Ran Yang Li. The ultimate bromance! XD

Spoiler: In-Arl
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PossiblyInsane View Post
    HOW HAS THIS WORLD BECOME SO AWED BY A PATHETIC, TIRED CHICKEN?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    All Praise In-Arl for his wisdom and tasty dark meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    Yay! PTSD Chicken!

14. - Top - End - #884
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bully of Yaral Pass 2RR
    Creature - Ogre U
    Take Tribute 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield you may take tribute, if you do ~ comes into play with a +1/+1 counters on it.)
    If Tribute was taken ~ can't block.
    As long as ~ has a +1/+1 counter on it it has trample.
    4/4

Spoiler
    Show
    Unyielding Dead 2B
    Creature - Zombie
    Take Tribute 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield you may take tribute, if you do ~ comes into play with 2 +1/+1 counters on it.)
    If Tribute wasn't taken you lose 2 life and ~ gains undying.
    Pay 2 life, B: Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~.
    2/1

The idea is flipping the script on pay tribute. The pay tribute mechanic was inherently weak due to the fact that you let your opponent make the choice. By reclaiming that choice you can choose between monsters with niche abilities or ones with powerful effects.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-02-22 at 08:03 PM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

15. - Top - End - #885
    Bugbear in the Playground

Burning Spirit XRR
    Sorcery R
    If this spell is infused into a creature, then the value of X is that creature's power.
    Target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn.
    Infuse (Then you may exile this spell infused into a creature you control. Whenever that creature attacks, its controller may cast a copy of the infused spell without paying its mana cost.)

Spoiler: Simpler card to demonstrate Infuse
    Show

Freezing Breath 1U
    Instant C
    Tap target creature.
    Infuse (Then you may exile this spell infused into a creature you control. Whenever that creature attacks, its controller may cast a copy of the infused spell without paying its mana cost.)
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Returned Monstrocity-WUBRG
    Legendary Creature-Zombie Shapeshifter (M)
    Changeling
    As ~ ETB and when ~ attacks, you may exile up to five Parts from your library with different names that do not share a name with a Part you own in exile, and then Amalgate ~. (To Amalgate, choose a Part card in exile you own that does not share a subtype with a Part already Amalgated to this card. This creature adds the power, toughness, and rules text of the chosen Part to itself.)
    5/5
    Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    Part cards are a new type of card. They cannot be in any zone where they are anything other then a Parts Card (If they would end up somewhere other than the Hand, Library, Graveyard, or Exile, they they remain in their previous zone instead). All Parts have a Part Subtype. These subtypes, like Creature subtypes, do not inherently do anything on their own, but may be refereed to by other cards. Parts have Power and Toughness, but do not have mana costs.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2020-01-27 at 06:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #887

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Burning Spirit XRR
    Sorcery R
    If this spell is infused into a creature, then the value of X is that creature's power.

Spoiler: Simpler card to demonstrate Infuse
    Show

Freezing Breath 1U
    Instant C
    Tap target creature.
    I would point out that this is very similar to cipher, which had an exceedingly narrow design space and an entire 9 points of stormscaliness. Make of that what you will.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Your challenge is to make a build-your-own-monster mechanic and show it off on a card. If you're clever and can figure out a way to use a previous mechanic to build a monster, that is also allowed.
    Oh, you mean like Unstable's Augment/Host? Let's see how we can dial that up to 11.

Lesser Diamondtusk 5W
    Creature - Elephant U
    Lifelink
    Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, ~ gains your choice of indestructible or double strike until end of turn.
    Embody 2W
    3/5

Spoiler: Uncommon cycle for modal evergreen keywords
    Show
    Untouchable Skywall 2U
    Creature - Serpent U
    Flying
    At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, ~ gains your choice of prowess or hexproof until end of turn.
    Embody 2U
    0/4

Mortalweave Recluse 4B
    Creature - Spider U
    Menace
    When ~ attacks or blocks alone, it gains your choice of deathtouch or indestructible until end of turn.
    Embody 2B
    2/4

Trailblazer Raptor R
    Creature - Dinosaur U
    Haste
    When ~ enters the battlefield, it gains your choice of double strike or prowess until end of turn. (Each instance of prowess stacks.)
    Embody 2R
    1/1

Gigantopede 6G
    Creature - Insect U
    Trample
    Whenever ~ attacks, it gains your choice of hexproof or deathtouch until end of turn.
    Embody 2G
    6/6
    Spoiler: Embody
    Show
    Embody [cost] ([cost]: Exile this card from your hand with target creature until it leaves the battlefield. If you do, that creature embodies this card and includes the card's triggered abilities with its own. Embody only as a sorcery.)

Embody pretty much mixes and matches triggered abilities similar to Augment/Host. I imagine this works best on a set that also heavily features triggered abilities even at common.

Rules:
    1a. A triggered ability from a creature that embodies a card also causes the trigger abilities of that embodied card to take effect.
    1b. An embodied card's abilities are triggered this way as though the creature was the source.
    2a. The embodied card's abilities do not actually trigger, its effects are merely added to the creature's own triggered ability.
    2b. Thus, if the creature's triggered ability gets countered, that includes the embodied card's effects.
    3. A creature can embody multiple cards, each card adding its effect to the triggered ability.
    4. A creature that embodies a card only does so as long as it is still on the battlefield and the card is in the exile zone.
    5. A creature without a triggered ability can embody a card, of course.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2020-01-26 at 01:28 AM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Judgement is due.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #890

ElfMonkGuy

I will try to get judging up as soon as possible, site issues permitting.

21. - Top - End - #891

ElfMonkGuy

Hurrah, we're back, and I've got the judging ready as well!

Just for the sake of judging, I’ll be ignoring any potential rules issues, since most of these mechanics are easy to understand in intention. I’m sure Wizards could figure out a way to iron out any issues that may arise.
    Spoiler: Laughing Dog- Sacred Mold
    Show
    Sacred Mold 3W
    Enchantment Artifact- R
    Constitute- 3W, T: Create a 3/3 white Angel creature token.
    Creatures you Constitute enter the battlefield with flying and an additional +1/+1 counter.
    This seems like a very powerful card, letting you make 4 mana 4/4 fliers every turn, with only the cost of a 4 mana do nothing up front. I think it’s too powerful, the wave of flying (plus whatever else you constitute onto them) creatures would eventually overwhelm any opponent. The mechanic is fun, but could cause a lot of memory issues on paper. “Wait, so this angel is hexproof and can’t be blocked, but that one has first strike, and I think that one doesn’t have flying because my Mold got destroyed before it entered the battlefield?”

Spoiler: LaZodiac- Hungering Behemoth
    Show
    LaZodiac
    Hungering Behemoth 2GG
    Creature - Monster Beast (R)
    When ~ enters the battlefield or attacks, consume 1.
    If ~ shares a colour with a consumed enchantment, it gains +2+2 and Trample.
    4/4
    Beware the Behemoth, for its maw is hungry and sharp.
    This is potentially quite an efficient card, but it does require some set up, which should balance it out. The quality of auras and enchantments, particularly green ones, would really influence if this card is OP or not. Making this mechanic enchantment based is a great synergy with Theros; props for that thinking. I like consume, and it’s easy to understand, but it seems pretty tricky rules-wise. If a monster consumes a Banishing Light from the graveyard, do they get to exile? It also requires some heavy deck building, which isn’t a bad thing.

Spoiler: Tom The Mime- Coalescing Shapeshifter
    Show
    Tom The Mime
    Coalescing Shapeshifter 1U
    Creature - Shapeshifter U
    Chimera (When ~ enters the battlefield, you many exile any number of creatures you control that share a creature type with it. Whenever a creature that shares a creature type with ~ enters the battlefield under your control you may exile it. ~ gains all abilities of creatures exiled with it and +X/+Y where X is the sum of the exiled creatures power and Y is the sum of their toughness)
    1: Coalescing Shapeshifter becomes the creature type of your choice until end of turn.
    1/1
    This would be a cool mechanic in a tribal set, with shapeshifters like this one here providing some nice glue to the set. This card on its own is nice, a way to combine all your creatures into a monstrosity that’s easy to remove, but also easier to protect. However, I think you would’ve done better to submit one of your other cards for judging; letting you use up the exiled cards for a benefit is a bit more exciting than a glue card. I like the mechanic overall, as it provides an interesting risk and reward. Each tribe of the set could have a couple chimeras with different effects befitting that tribe, too, allowing you to have enough to fill out the set.

Spoiler: DeTess- Deep-Sea Kraken
    Show
    DeTess
    Deep-sea Kraken 5UU
    creature - Kraken R
    Islandwalk
    whenever ~ attacks, you may tap target permanent.
    Mutate - 1UU: the mutated creature is a blue kraken in addition to its other types and colors, and gets +1/+3, islandwalk and 'whenever this creature attacks, you may tap target permanent.'
    5/7
    Hey, how’d you get a sneak peak at Unsanctioned? :P This card seems pretty good! The base creature is slightly overcosted, but it has the flexibility of mutate to help out with that. My only qualm with it is that landwalk has been phased out, for good reason, I’d say, but it is at least flavorful here. The mechanic is also great, functioning a lot like bestow but with a bit more risk involved. It’s also more flexible than bestow, since it doesn’t always give the exact same stats the original creature has. I could definitely see this mechanic getting printed, and there’s plenty of fun designs that could be made.

Spoiler: Unavenger- Adapted Celestial
    Show
    Unavenger
    Adapted Celestial 2W
    Creature - Angel R
    Adaptation: Flying {1}, Vigilance {1} Lifelink {W}, First Strike {2}, Double Strike {2WW} (You may pay any number of the listed costs as you cast this spell to have this creature enter with a counter granting the listed keyword)
    3/3
    I like this angel! If you need to survive against aggro, you can throw her down as is or with lifelink, while in the late game, you can make her a flying double striker to end the game. Adaptation is, as the name implies, a very versatile mechanic that blends perfectly with any other keyword the set may introduce. It’s a clean design, with the only possible issues being remembering what adaptations you gave to each creature. Indicators can help, but if you have a lot of keywords being represented, that’s a lot of indicators you need to bring to the game.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands- Bihi Mothrider
    Show
    Dr.Gunsforhands
    Bihi Mothrider 2W
    Creature - Human Soldier C
    When this creature enters the battlefield, it breeds 1. (Either create a 0/0 Behemoth creature token with one +1/+1 counter on it or add one +1/+1 counter to a Behemoth you control. Place this creature next to the behemoth it bred.)
    Flying
    Bihi Mothrider's behemoth has flying.
    1/1
    Looks like the mothrider took the phrase about giving your children wings a bit too literally. I like this as a common design: it’s easy to understand, of a good power level, and you won’t mind seeing a couple of these in your drafting. This card and the mechanic as a whole presents some interesting choices. Do you create a horde of little behemoths with various abilities, or do you go for broke and make a big one with all the abilities, or do you go for something inbetween? Creating choices in gameplay is good, so I like this mechanic. It also has a natural way to mark which behemoths have which abilities, while still having whatever complicated rule officially lets this mechanic work.

Spoiler: Ninjaman- Springling
    Show
    Ninjaman
    Springling - 1G
    Creature - Treefolk - U
    Colossal 2 2G
    Springling enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
    Springling gets +1/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on it.
    0/0
    A simple card design, but quite effective. I’m surprised nothing like this has been done before, at least as far as I could find. Colossal is also a simple, but effective design, and I could easily see it getting printed. There’s plenty of obvious synergy cards that could be made that care about cards with counters and cards like this that care about counters on themselves. My only qualm is that putting counters on a creature as it enters the battlefield doesn’t feel like building a monster as much as some of the other designs here.

Spoiler: Gauntlet- Battlescarred Behemoth
    Show
    Gauntlet
    Battlescarred Behemoth - 3GG

Creature - Beast - Rare

Trample, Vigilance

Battlescarred Behemoth has Indestructible if its power is 6 or more.

Empower - 2GG, Discard Battlescarred Behemoth: Put five +1/+1 counters on target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

5/5
    Nice design here, with the second ability practically screaming “Empower me!” However, despite the flashy base creature, the empower almost seems more powerful to me; 5 permanent counters on a creature for 4 mana seems like a steal. This could easily give you an 8/8 or bigger on turn 4. Empower is a good, simple design that has lots of opportunity for synergy, as you’ve proven. It also offers good choices at each stage of the game: use your cards to buff up one creature, or go for a wider field?

Spoiler: Mystic1110- Efamod, Martial Yegg
    Show
    Mystic1110
    Efamod, Martial Yegg 2RR
    Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (R)
    Exemplar - 1R (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its Exemplar cost. If you do, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature and "enchanted creature has all abilities that this card would have if it was a creature.")
    Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, you may have it gain all keyword abilities of that creature until end of your next turn. If you do, that creature loses those abilities until end of your next turn.
    "Learn from Efamod's adroitness so that you may steal others skill."
    5/3
    This is a really fun design: stealing your opponent’s creatures abilities could be a lot of fun. It could be quite good against some decks, like midrange, but really suffers against unit-light decks like control, where their big threats might just fly over Efamod, anyway. One thing I do like is that this is probably in a set where creatures have lots of abilities, letting Efamod and their future disciple steal many different abilities. Exemplar would definitely need some rules templating, but it’s easy to grok and quite flavorful. It has many potential designs, from more complicated ones like this, to simple common keyworded creatures. I’m not sure if it’d work better as a repeatable deal, like this, or as a one time exile from graveyard, though.

Spoiler: Quiddle- Bully of Yaral Pass
    Show
    Quiddle
    Bully of Yaral Pass 2RR
    Creature - Ogre C
    Take Tribute 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield you may take tribute, if you do ~ comes into play with 2 +1/+1 counters on it.)
    If Tribute was taken ~ can't block.
    As long as ~ has a +1/+1 counter on it it has trample.
    4/4
    This is a great way to make tribute feel a lot better and be more useful. You seem to have made an editing error, though, where it says Take Tribute 1, but the reminder text says to put two counters on it. Either way, a 5/5 or 6/6 with trample for four mana is very strong for a common, and if you do need a blocker, a 4/4 for 4 is respectable. The mechanic is great, though; you have a lot of opportunity to tweak it and make good synergy cards. My only qualm is it doesn’t quite feel like “building” a monster, as opposed to just summoning one.

Spoiler: TurboGhast- Burning Spirit
    Show
    TurboGhast
    Burning Spirit XRR
    Sorcery R
    As was pointed out, this is a lot like Cipher, but it has more flexibility in that the creature only needs to attack, not connect, to activate the spell. This card is a good demonstration of the flexibility, and is quite potent. You could easily power up a creature to 20 or more power on the turn you first cast this. It is vulnerable to removal, but it still feels a bit too swingy, especially on a trampler. Infuse has a lot more potential than Cipher did, and even if it is still somewhat limited, I think there’s more than enough room to make some good designs.

Spoiler: NecroticPlague- Returned Monstrosity
    Show
    NecroticPlague
    Returned Monstrocity-WUBRG
    Legendary Creature-Zombie Shapeshifter (M)
    Changeling
    As ~ ETB and when ~ attacks, you may exile up to five Parts from your library with different names that do not share a name with a Part you own in exile, and then Amalgate ~. (To Amalgate, choose a Part card in exile you own that does not share a subtype with a Part already Amalgated to this card. This creature adds the power, toughness, and rules text of the chosen Part to itself.)
    5/5
    A legendary with no name is a bit weird, and it’s hard to evaluate this card without a demonstration of some Parts to go with it. I’m also a bit confused about whether Parts are creatures themselves, as you mention them having power and toughness of their own. It also seems like you need to exile Parts for them to be useful, but since they’re in your deck, what do you do with ones that you draw into your hand? Some more support is needed for this entry to be properly judged.

Spoiler: Ben-zayb- Lesser Diamondtusk
    Show
    Ben-zayb
    Lesser Diamondtusk 5W
    Creature - Elephant U
    Lifelink
    Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, ~ gains your choice of indestructible or double strike until end of turn.
    Embody 2W
    3/5
    This is an odd card, as it needs the opponent to play along for it to be useful, in either form. Unless they cast the spell during your main phase or before their combat, it won’t see much use. It is, at least, hard to remove. However, I like the twist on host and augment that Embody provides, allowing anything to be a host. That makes this significantly more versatile, and there’s lots of opportunities to make creatures that do something whenever just about anything. I like the possibility it offers, I just don’t think you made the strongest showing of it.

There are a lot of great entries here, and I love the creativity y’all had with making these designs. Unfortunately, there can only be one winner, and that is…
    Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Dr. Gunsforhands, with Bihi Mothrider and Breed! Congratulations!

22. - Top - End - #892

Yeah one of the interesting issues I came across with making Consume is... a lot of enchantments are actually kinda negative so you don't wanna eat em into you. I looked through Theros to see what enchantments were actually viable to eat and basically none of them were, oops. Still, synergizing with Theros to some degree was still an important idea to me.

Congrats to the winner, though!

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

Hooray! The moth pun had a weak start, but with careful grooming, it became strong and won.

Since we've had a bit of a break, I thought... what if I let you each make two cards?

Create two cards that do the same thing, but in very different ways.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; Yesterday at 11:41 AM.
    Leo, Ajax, Deshy.