Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 197
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Tager considered. He wasn't super fond of all the secrecy. It meant they had something to hide. But that could just be a matter of operational security and trade secrecy, it didn't inherently mean dangerous motives.

    In the end, he decided not to inquire further into her employer or their motives. If they were altruistic, he didn't need to know them to contribute to them. If they were mercantile, they didn't matter. If they were dangerous, she would either lie about them or refuse to answer, and reject him from the team if he pressed. It sounded like they didn't actually know what the artifact they were seeking was, so a mercantile goal based on the general desirability of Precursor artifacts was the most likely bet anyway. If the artifact itself did appear to be dangerous, then he would be in a better position to demand more information once it was in their possession. Besides, if the original team was in peril, rescuing them would be a net positive.

    ...Also, it was a lot of money and being suspicious directly reduced his odds of earning it. But, you know, the above all sounded much better.

    What he did ask was, "Do you have any intelligence on potential dangers or hazards on this planet? And is there anybody else competing for the artifacts?"
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    “Cortana, take notes,” John said with a thought as he sipped whatever this drink was.

    “Sure thing. Commander.”

    It had the color of something Willy Wonka would have tortured children with but it somehow tasted like a hipster beer. Go figure. John watched the projector and listened to the would-be employer. None of this seemed on the up and up. On the other hand… he’d already made up his mind that he was going to go.

    “So that’s the simple job? We drop into the middle of a civil war into a site that was guarded by insurgents with guns. You have no idea if your people found anything or if they are still alive at all. You don’t know what’s going on down there at all.”

    He leaned forward. “Did I get all that right?”

    Without waiting for an answer he clapped his hands and gave her a finger gun point. “And that’s the catch.”

    He settled back and took another drink. He followed up on Tager’s question by asking for more specifics.

    “Is there any fighting going on near the dig site? How much faith were you putting in the rebels you bought off? Who all knows about this potential find? Criminal organizations, freelancers, governments… Peacekeepers.” He last one in particular.
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Pixel takes a sip of her drink

    "Can I get a copy of that information?"

    She points at the holoprojector.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    "You shouldn't need to worry, the air is breathable and the Malachord's pacified the natives long before my employer took any interest in the planet, the dig site itself is far enough away from any of the arcologies that there shouldn't be any major fallout for quite some time." She began to explain to Tager, fishing out an infodrive containing everything they'd already discussed along with a map towards the planet in question and sliding the device along the table towards Pixel.

    "As for the nature of the expedition, the information was given out on a need to know basis, even if the insurgents have worked out what it was they were being hired to guard I doubt they'd be stupid enough to make that information public, If word got out of a potential cache of Precursor technology it would make their little civil war look like a tea party."

    "I believe that covers everything?" She finished as the room was suddenly rocked by an explosion coming from up above as a new voice made itself known through the speakers built in to the table's projector.

    "Ahoy there dirtwalkers! Lombard Junction is now surrounded by my fleet, don't even think of resisting and maybe you'll live to see another cycle! Hoist the colours and man the cannons me scallywags!"

    Another explosion shook the room as far above them another ship unleashed its weapons on the cluster of asteroids, the image on the projector flickering only to be replaced by a three-eyed skull being pierced by a pincer, an image that was being repeated across the Junction, replacing every single screen, visor and projector that it could reach.

    Spoiler: Calla
    Show
    You've heard that voice before, it belongs to Captain Karkanos, a rival pirate originating from Cancrix the planet of the crab people. Your relationship with him isn't exactly friendly and the last time you two clashed you ended up in a bloody duel ending in you beating him and leaving him marooned to die but it looks like that didn't exactly stick.
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2019-05-20 at 03:02 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not entirely sure myself.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Damnable crab just won't die... I'll be sure to ask him how he survived before I take his carapace for a trophy.

    Calla downed her entire drink in a single go, slammed the mug down on the table and got to her feet, looking to their host.

    Think he's here looking for you? He and I have a history of fighting over scores.
    The attempted return!

    Nexus Character: Ary

    Quote Originally Posted by Bookboy View Post
    Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Here're a bunch of old avatars made for me
    Spoiler
    Show


    Sig space limited so credits to the creators of my avatars

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Tager started slightly at the sudden explosion. When the threat was made, he blinked. Was this sort of thing...common, out here?

    Well, now he understood why everyone went around armed to the teeth, he supposed.

    ...Although come to think of it, he may have had the causation going in the wrong direction on that one.

    The voice of Tommy Yang was very rationally pointing out that this was not his quarrel, that it sounded like whoever was out there was armed with freaking high explosives, and that trying to fight could end up putting more people in danger.

    The voice of Tager Yung answered that people were already in danger, you can tell by the high explosives.

    Tommy accepted that, and asked what about the other two points?

    Tager replied, what other two points?

    And that was that.

    In a single graceful move, Tager came to his feet with a sweep of his arm that sent his chair flying back, his massive hammer floating into his outstretched hand as fluidly as if it had been just another limb. There was just enough time for someone looking at him to see the calmly confident smirk on his face, before his outfit flowed like water and became his iconic suit of black-and-white armor. Without a word, he started back for the stairs, striding about half a foot off the ground.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Setting Gravitech Maul to Supplemental Gravitech, Gravitech Armor to Flight 5, full Gravitic Buffering, and the Light Immunity portion of Gravitic Bending.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Pixel picks up the drive as she sees the incoming attack through her drone's data feed.
    She throws the video feed up behind her using her holographic display for the others to see.
    "That is not very nice."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Without a moment to lose, Kana Te's armored helmet materializes, and she starts flying towards the commotion. Lives are being lost, and now is the time to act.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    “That didn’t answer the quest--” John protest was cut off by the room being rocked with an explosion. He stood up to his feet.

    “Cortana, energy readings, bring up the HUD.”

    John reached up and touched the N7 on the breast of his jacket, tapping it twice. The jacket transformed into what looked like liquid metal, but was really trillions of glittering nanomachines spreading out, changing, forming into Commander Young’s alien power armor.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Visual! Link


    The nanomachines covered his body, his arms, legs, and the last part to come into form was his helmet, a black helmet with twin glowing visors.

    Sure, John was aware that none of this was his business. He was here for a job; he didn’t know these people and he certainly had enough enemies in this region of the galaxy. He didn’t need to add any more.

    But John wasn’t going to sit back while a space pirate slagged this rock and the people on it, definitely not while he was wearing this suit anyway.

    “Tager, Pixel, link comm systems. I’m gonna go make trouble.”

    Spoiler
    Show
    I’ll have him teleport in the next post, once I've gotten the info from his senses and perception roll.
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    " Let's do this. Care to give a girl a ride to the party?"

    Pixel sends a quick command to her drone telling it to return to her little ship and defend it from enemy forces.

    She dissolves into a stream of light that flows into John's armor, then proceeds to hide his presence from all hostile sensory equipment.

    *Gives Cortana a hug*

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Upload/Download: Movement, Dimensional Travel (Into Technology)
    Sensor Masking: Concealment (All Senses), Affects Others, Precise, Limited (Technology)
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-05-22 at 01:00 AM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not entirely sure myself.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    You kids aren't going up there without me. Karkanos and I have a score to settle.

    She banged her fists together, lighting up the knuckles she was wearing.
    The attempted return!

    Nexus Character: Ary

    Quote Originally Posted by Bookboy View Post
    Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Here're a bunch of old avatars made for me
    Spoiler
    Show


    Sig space limited so credits to the creators of my avatars

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    “Sure. Come ride in my Mustang.”

    When Pixel downloaded into John’s armor, in a way she was downloading into John himself. He wound up inside of his mindscape with Cortana. Cortana, seeing as how a battle was about to break out, was sitting in an imaginary war room… like something out of this scene. She was dressed up in a rebel commander outfit. Cortana clearly liked to cosplay in John’s pop culture memories. Pixel appeared and hugged the AI, who hugged back.

    “Hello Pixel. Welcome to the War Room. The Commander is getting involved in someone else’s trouble again.”

    On the displays in the War Room, many, many points of light lit up the map, showing the location and intensity of energy sources above. Pixel could also see the mapping sensors showing the layout of the area. In a burst of data, John shared his readings with the rest of the… team? Well, it seemed like everyone else was involved. He supposed that was team-like.

    “Well,” he said to Calla, his voice a bit digitized as he spoke through the helmet, “Guess I’ll meet you up there.”

    After engaging Life-Support systems, John stepped forward into a flat, two-dimensional white space that appeared and emerged high above the asteroid. He was cloaked to sensors, thanks to Pixel. He was out in the open for a moment, staying still and quiet as he looked about for the main ship. If he saw it, that would be the next place he’d teleport.
    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Pixel studies the battle-map.
    "We might want to jump into one of the smaller pirate ships, we could attempt to take over fire control and communications then start a fake mutiny within the pirate fleet. Get them shooting at each other."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Even as the explosion hit the host remained seemingly nonchalant in their chair, this wasn't because they didn't care about the sudden arrival of murderous pirates in the air space above, it was quite the opposite, they were frozen in place with fear. This was exactly what they wanted to avoid!

    "How should I know what they want? I'm just a middle man in all this, what could they possibly want with me?" They replied to Calla after taking a moment to calm their heart beats, thankful that their cloak still concealed their features and hid the details of their brief freak-out from the rest of the room.

    Leaving the bar was easy enough for Kana to make her way out of the bar, whilst the bouncer was nowhere to be seen any more the barman hadn't seen fit to engage any sort of defences on the building and was still calmly cleaning out glasses behind the bar. Outside on the streets was utter bedlam, all around the sounds of shouting mixed with the discharge of weapons whilst bodies rushed through the winding streets of the market in every direction, pirates swooping in from the air on their jetpacks to pick them off with impunity.

    "Let go of her!" The air was suddenly pierced with the sound of a child's cry as a small boy was yanked from the arms of his mother and hauled in to the air by a cackling pirate.

    Up in space things weren't looking much friendlier, John and Pixel finding themselves surrounded by ships with more still warping in and whilst the pair might have been concealed from all manner of high tech sensors, the pirates that were currently disgorging from the ships (and their distinctly organic eyes) were another matter entirely.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, so bad news the place is swarming with pirates however all is not lost if you can beat an initiative roll of (1d20+8)[27] you can make a break for the flagship before they get a chance to open fire.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    It was true that there was no sound in space but thanks to their communication devices this didn't present any kind of major barrier to the pirates as John and Tager arrived in their midst, and with some quickly exchanged chatter they turned their attention to the pair of intrepid space heroes and opened fire. They weren't particularly coordinated (turns out roving groups of space marauders weren't all that in to order, go figure) but as the laser weapons rained down on them there was definitely something to be said for MORE DAKKA!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, as you can imagine there is a lot a lot of pirates right now so brace yourself, you're each getting three attacks! Each one getting aided by some of their buddies.

    John
    Attack 1: Aid (1d20+6)[8], Aid (1d20+6)[12], Attack (1d20+6)[17] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits. Miss
    Attack 2: Aid (1d20+6)[26], Aid (1d20+6)[20], Attack (1d20+6)[21] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits. Hit
    Attack 3: Aid (1d20+6)[20], Aid (1d20+6)[20], Attack (1d20+6)[21] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits. Hit

    Tager
    Attack 1: Aid (1d20+6)[16], Aid (1d20+6)[20], Attack (1d20+6)[24] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits. Hits +5 Multiattack
    Attack 2: Aid (1d20+6)[21], Aid (1d20+6)[23], Attack (1d20+6)[17] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits. Hits
    Attack 3: Aid (1d20+6)[18], Aid (1d20+6)[23], Attack (1d20+6)[14] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits. Hits
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2019-05-28 at 01:19 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Tager strode out of the bar and into a pitched firefight.

    Now, Tager Yung was a Graviator. He was no stranger to battle. But he was also a naian. On his world, firearms (and the more technologically advanced versions thereof) were highly restricted. Oh of course, he'd seen television shows and played video games and such that involved gun violence. But even so, to him, battle was intuitively a thing fought with swords, staves, maces, fists, and of course hammers. Archaic weapons.

    Stepping out into a battle with lasers flying all around was...weird. To some extent, it carried the sense of terror that the soldiers of the War To End All Wars must have felt. But equally, it seemed almost unreal, the cartoonish, PG-rated violence of television and video games.

    Nearly a dozen lasers came flying straight at him pretty much the minute he exited the bar, which some small part of his mind flagged as rather rude. Maybe he was coming out to surrender. They didn't know! (Eh, the armor and hammer may have been a clue). The beams were aimed straight and came from all angles. There was no possible way to dodge.

    ...And, also like in TV shows, every single shot from what should have been professional marksmen aimed with high-tech laser weapon managed to arbitrarily miss the protagonist.

    Well, that wasn't really accurate. The shots were well aimed, would have hit, except for one minor detail.

    Gravity bends light.

    He launched himself for the nearest cluster of pirates, another sweep of his arm sending his camera drones flying from his cape to record the battle. He lashed out with a flurry of blows, gravitechnically reducing the weight of his hammer as he swung it, giving it massive speed, and shifting all the weight and more back into it as it came close for contact for devastating power. It was a tricky technique, but one that the experienced Graviator performed flawlessly, raining blow after punishing blow down on his targets, the black-outside white-inside cape behind him flowing up with every swing as gravity was canceled, and then suddenly tugging down with every hit as it was reasserted. Assuming he got them, he'd then send his hammer afield on its own, sweeping through the air with broad gestures of his gauntleted hands, to smack around as many of the pirates as he could reach.

    And then he recalled the weapon back, and the moment it slapped into his palm, he smiled a positively Cheshire grin, drew his cape around himself with his left hand, and vanished.

    Again, gravity bends light.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Activate camera drones.

    Move: To the nearest cluster of pirates.

    Standard: Attack four pirates with Supplemental Gravitech, Multiattacking for four. I'll Routine the first attack for 16 and if it hits, Routine the rest. Otherwise they'll be at (1d20+6)[21], (1d20+6)[11], (1d20+6)[20]. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. Damage. If any of them drop, I'll start a Takedown, Routining as long as Routining had hit or rolling otherwise, using my Elongation to spread the Takedown as far as I can.

    Free: Reconfigure Gravitech Armor array (still at +20 points from Supplemental Gravitech) to full Gravitic Bending and Gravitic Flight, gaining Total Concealment from All Visual Senses and from Hearing.

    Move-by Action: Reposition to obscure location using Hide in Plain Sight, getting to what cover I can in case of more advanced senses, and supplementing my Concealment with Stealth at (1d20+20)[28].

    Current Status: Normal.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2019-05-29 at 04:41 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Without a second thought, Kana Te grabs at the pirate with the power of her mind. <Release the child. Leave this place. Harm no one. Then I will not harm you.>

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    DC 20 to avoid grab.
    (1d20)[18]: Intimidate
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not entirely sure myself.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    As she walked out of the Bar, seemingly unphased by the surrounding Pirates, Calla threw up a signal to her crew and bringing her ship swooping down for her to board.

    She strode into the command deck and up to the controls.

    Captain on deck!

    Bring us up. We're bringing Karkanos' ship down and I'm bringing back his shell as a trophy!

    The crew cheered and set to work, bringing the Empyrea up to bear it's weapons on Karkanos' personal ship.

    Spoiler: Bring the ship about!
    Show
    Movement action to bring the ship for Calla to board and another movement action to get it back up in range of Karkanos' ship.
    The attempted return!

    Nexus Character: Ary

    Quote Originally Posted by Bookboy View Post
    Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Here're a bunch of old avatars made for me
    Spoiler
    Show


    Sig space limited so credits to the creators of my avatars

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    John appeared up in space in a burst of light. And while the ships didn’t target him, the pirates did. A single pirate firing wouldn’t have been much of a problem, but getting shot at by nine of them at once with energy weapons was another story. John brought ups his arms to brace himself for the barrage. Lasers scorched and scored his armor, but weren’t enough to take John out. Either way, he had no intention to stand and fight.

    In a burst transmission to the other members of his ad-hoc team he sent, “Boarding the command ship.”

    John once again disappeared in a flash of light to appear within the engine room of the command ship. Immediately John switched off life-support so that his armor would begin auto-repairs.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bruised x 2 and dazed.

    Move action to teleport again. Free action to switch Life Support to Liquid Armor Regen. John heals 1 Bruise.
    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Lombard Junction

    Tager's hammer sent almost half a dozen of the pirate rabble sprawling on to their backs and in to unconsciousness as it slammed in to them, almost seeming to take on a life of its own when it's owner sent it further a field until a cackling brigand clutching a shrieking child up in the air managed to roll with the impact and took the Graviator off of his stride.

    "You want the brat!?" The pirate cackled to nobody in particular (he couldn't tell where Kana Te's mental voice was coming from after all) "Take him!" A sphere on his belt began to flash and give an electronic bleep as the pirate twisted it and jammed it in to the child's pocket before launching them in to the crowd.

    Meanwhile on the ground there were a good few looters who wanted to get a piece of Tager after what he had done to their friends, but he seemed to have vanished in to thin air (and none of them can beat that Stealth on a 20), so instead they went back to venting their frustration on everyone and everything within reach and unfortunately for Kana Te that included them as well.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kana Te
    Attack 1: Aid (1d20+6)[26] Aid (1d20+6)[9] Attack (1d20+6)[22] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits Hits +2 Multiattack
    Attack 2: Aid (1d20+6)[17] Aid (1d20+6)[9] Attack (1d20+6)[19] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits Hits
    Attack 3: Aid (1d20+6)[12] Aid (1d20+6)[19] Attack (1d20+6)[12] DC21+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits Miss


    Matron Carrak's Revenge

    With a flash of light John and his passenger appeared deep within the bowels of Captain Karkanos' flagship, the whole place was filled with the grinding sounds of the enormous machines that kept the fearsome vessel running, punctuated by countless strained shouts and cries of pain from the crewman that occupied this level. Not that John could actually see any of this as right now he was crammed in to a storage closet (if the buckets were anything to go by) but he could certainly feel the stifling heat emanating from the machinery coming through the door.

    And then the whole thing shook.

    Space!

    "Captain! The Empyrea's approaching!" A crewman on the deck of Karkanos' squawked to his captain.

    The Captain hissed and clicked in to his translator and the device buzzed in to life "Then fire the cannons and prepare for boarding ya bilge rats!"

    "Fire the cannons!" The cry went out, running across the deck and down the ship until it reached the engine room and with an almighty boom the ship launched wave after wave of heavy metal spheres at the other ship.

    Not wanting to wait for his hated enemy to launch a counter attack the Matron Carrak's Revenge disgorged its raiding party, each of one racing forward on their flightpacks to be the first to reach the Empyrea and the first to taste blood. The Empyrea wasn't without defenders however and both crews were quickly locked in battle.

    "Calla! Show yourself you cow!" Karkanos' called out, appearing on the deck in a flash of light, indiscriminately scattering combatants from both sides with a swing of his enormous robotic claw as a single glowing red eye scanned the deck for his hated enemy. "I'm here for your head!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Matron Carrak's Revenge
    Standard Action: Attack the Empyrea with Cannon Battery (1d20+5)[10] DC30+Multiattack if that hits. Miss

    Initiative
    Calla (1d20+8)[20]
    Captain Karkanos (1d20)[16]

    Calla is on turn!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2019-06-04 at 01:58 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Unable to detect Tager with all his armor's stealth-enhancements, the space pirates had turned their attention back to attacking other people.

    That was their first mistake.

    A flicker of motion, and a pirate would go flying away.

    Halfway across the field, another would get yanked into the shadows, followed up with a sickening crunch.

    A pair of pirates took aim at a civilian, and were suddenly crushed to the ground.

    Off in the distance, a Wilhelm scream.

    Or, you know, something like that, anyway. Give or take a natural twenty in the worst possible place.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Swap to Gravitic Strike. Reconfigure Gravitech Armor to Flight 5 and Concealment 5.

    Standard: Gravitic Strike, Power Attack for 4, Routine for 16. Toughness DC 29 vs. Damage, Elongation Takedown, and they get thrown around by Move Object too. It's Contagious, but I'm too busy playing Horror Movie Monster to play Pinball.

    Move: Reposition and re-stealth at (1d20+20)[25].

    Just For Fun: Intimidation to be a Horror Movie Monster: (1d20+15)[22].

    Current Status: Normal.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    After they arrive in the ship. "Let's see what we are dealing with."
    Pixel starts tapping into any video feeds from within the ship and relaying them to a large screen in John's mindscape so he can follow along.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Start with closest feeds then work outwards. Trying to get a feel for ship layout and how many baddies we are dealing with.
    Sensor Network: Remote Sensing 10 (Audio, Visual), Simultaneous, Subtle 2, Medium (Technological recording equipment), Activation (Standard)
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Kana grabs the child out of the air, and gently brings them toward the mother, separating child from grenade. <Be not afraid, child. I am with you.>

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[13]: Telekinesis using the 29 from the reroll
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2019-06-07 at 10:52 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    This ship felt more Klingon than Federation… and the broom closet was dank and smelly. With things heating up outside (judging by the energy readings), this needed to end soon or people would die from crossfire alone. John looked into the engine room with infravision while Pixel hacked their cameras and displayed what she could. Combining that data with the layout from his HUD, John quickly figured out just the right place for an attack.

    He communicated to the others.

    “Young. On board enemy vessel. Sending data now.” His systems broadcast all the information he had gleaned about the ship (layout, numbers, etc) to the other members of his team, including Calla on board her Empyrea. “Attacking the engine room. Go in 3…. 2…. 1….”

    “Astronauts like to do that,” Cortana said to Pixel in the mindscape.

    There was another flash of purple and John appeared within the Engine room. He picked the exact place where his next attack would hit the Overseer and as many pirates as possible. The armored astronaut extended his arms. Rippling purple energy coursed down his arms to his hands.

    "Surprise!"


    He released that warp energy in a wide, destructive shockwave of explosive power fanning out over the Engine Room.

    As soon as John struck, he instantly started with keep-away tactics, teleporting to the nearest safe room out of their vision. He was going to leave them guessing.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Teleport.

    Shockwave! Cone Area DC 20 dodge vs. DC 25/20 toughness (secondary effect) and Fortitude 20/15 vs. Impaired/Disabled.

    Teleport.

    Regenerates a bruised. I think that clears up his injuries.
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not entirely sure myself.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Cow?! That infuriating crustacean! I'm going to enjoy peeling his shell of his corpse.

    She turned and started towards the door.

    Bring down Matron Carrak's Revenge. Karkanos is mine.

    Calla made her way up onto the deck, Cutlass in one hand, Sidearm in the other, entrance announced by the sound of the Empyrea's cannons opening fire.

    How the hells are you even still alive, Crab?

    Spoiler: A very angry Calla.
    Show
    Switching the Array for:
    Cannons at Rank 12 & Enhanced Flight 6
    Move to the deck. Calla's action on ordering the Empyrea to bring down the Matron Carrak's Revenge and Empyrea's action to fire the Cannons for (1d20+5)[21] For DC27 Toughness if that hits.
    Last edited by metakirb; 2019-06-12 at 12:54 PM.
    The attempted return!

    Nexus Character: Ary

    Quote Originally Posted by Bookboy View Post
    Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Here're a bunch of old avatars made for me
    Spoiler
    Show


    Sig space limited so credits to the creators of my avatars

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Space!

    The Empyrea's cannons fired off with a deafening boom sending its heavy projectiles careening towards the enemy ship but unfortunately for Calla the Revenge's shields held strong against the bombardment before returning fire itself with its own cannon battery. On the deck Captain Karkanos hissed as his mechanical eye ran up and down the length of his target, his translator helpfully turning it in to booming laughter.

    "That's Karkanos to you, ya fishwife! And I've got a message for you, the Seven Lords have finally had enough of ya! There's a new price on your head and I'm gonna be the one that claims it!"

    To prove he wasn't playing around he raised his enormous mechanical claw towards her and snapped it shut hard sending a sound wave hurtling towards Calla faster than the eye could follow.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Captain Karkanos
    Move: Why move when you have a robo-claw?
    Standard: Attack Calla with Sonic Snap DC25 Toughness Save vs Damage

    Matron Carrak's Revenge
    Standard Action: Attack the Empyrea with Cannon Battery (1d20+5)[10] DC30+Multiattack if that hits. Miss

    The Bowels of Matron Carrak's Revenge!

    A brilliant flash of purple and John's ambush rewarded him with a chorus surprised shouts as powerful wave of warp energy laid out a half dozen of the pirates he had appeared in front of and knocked the ogreish four-armed Overseer for a loop before he vanished again.

    "What the [CENSORED]!?" The Overseer growled to his lackeys, rubbing the spots from his eye with a free hand "I don't know what that [CENSORED] was but you better find it if you know what's good for you!"

    Not wanting to attract the ire of the Overseer or his cat o' nine tails the remaining crewmen began to spread out and find John and Pixel in their new hiding place.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The Overseer
    Standard: ???
    Move: Dazed
    End of Turn: Fortitude to recover from Impaired (DC20) (1d20+10)[23] Recover

    Pirates 1-3
    Assist (1d20+6)[21], Assist (1d20+6)[12], Perception (1d20+6)[11] 18

    Pirates 4-6
    Assist (1d20+6)[10], Assist (1d20+6)[16], Perception (1d20+6)[26] 28

    Pirates 7-9
    Assist (1d20+6)[12], Assist (1d20+6)[23], Perception (1d20+6)[12] 19

    Lombard Junction

    "Thank you!" The woman was almost in tears as she pulled her child close to her, the grenade exploding 'harmlessly' down an alleyway, okay there might have been a crater...

    If Kana Te looked around from this touching reunion she'd find the area curiously free from any more pirates bar one who was currently cowering up against what was left of a ruined stall, their arms thrown up in the vain hope that it might protect them from the fate that had befallen all of its crewmates. Closing their eyes and babbling as it turned out was of little help to defend themselves against the invisible attacker and was quickly sent flying just like the rest of them.

    "Whelps..." A furry bipedal figure made their presence known as they stepped out from between two buildings, drawn by the sounds of shouting and the sight of flung pirates "I'd punish them myself but it looks like you've saved me the trouble." He continued, looking directly at the invisible Graviator, being invisible might have been a remarkable thing in a fight but as the eyeless humanoid in front of Tager proved the universe was a large place filled with all sorts of creatures with all kinds of weird and wonderful senses.

    "Well, I guess if you want something done you have to do it yourself." With that the figure leaped towards Tager, with a swipe of its sharp claws.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Raid Leader
    Move: Move in to Close with Tager
    Standard: Attack Tager with Claw Flurry (1d20+12)[26] DC27 Toughness if that hits. The Raid Leader is defended at 1d10+24 Hits
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2019-06-12 at 02:33 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    The raid leader's blows managed to put a dent in Tager's armor, but it held. Tager faced him with a smirk, dismissing the cloaking and redirecting his gravitech to repel physical forces. Odds were that the guy had energy weapon capabilities too, but hopefully he'd have to leave himself more exposed to use them.

    The camera drones swooped around the pair of them, zooming in for the occasional close-up. Tager whirled his hammer through a complex, showy display of spins. It looked cool, but any skilled warrior could see that it wasted time and effort that would be better spent attacking. "Hah! Buddy, did you ever pick the wrong target!" he boasted, grinning for the camera.

    Then he came on hard, a wild overhead swing telegraphed so badly that the unconscious pirates strewn about the meteor could probably see it coming. Oh, sure, if it actually landed it would carry devastating power as he gravitechnically increased the hammer's weight on the downswing, but most likely it would be easily sidestepped and crash right into the ground.

    ...At which point it would trigger a gravity well to try and weight his opponent down!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Swap to full Gravitic Buffering for Half Immunity to Physical.

    Move: "Startle" using Showboating, to cause [Underestimation] rather than [Fear]. (1d20+10)[15].

    Standard: Attack with Gravity Well. Defensive Attack for 2, Power Attack for 5, at (1d20+3)[11]. If I manage to roll a 20 that's Toughness DC 30 vs. Damage, but regardless he gets Defense DC 20 for half, Strength or Defense DC 20/15 vs. Grab.

    Current Status: 1 Bruise, +2 Defense this turn.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    No time to let the mother greet her, there was still trouble afoot. Kana Te concentrated on the newcomer, bringing her mental powers down upon him. <Pain.>

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mental Blast! DC 25 Will vs Damage, with a secondary effect next turn as well.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    Still using Pixel’s camera feeds to watch what the pirates were doing, John let them fan out and move away from the Overseer. With the group dispersing in an effort to find him, he could pick them off in smaller chunks. The Overseer was doing…. Well, John wasn’t sure what he was doing. But just like a guy who’s in prison for the first day, you just have to punch the Big One or the rest won’t respect you.

    “Hey Pixel, do your thing. I’m going to go fight Goro,” John thought, which was projected over loud-speakers in his Mindscape Command Center. He placed his hand on the nearest computer console or other piece of digital kit on the ship and gave her the chance to slip into the ship’s systems.

    John clenched his fist and crouched a bit like he was ready to mime an uppercut. He delayed for a moment, letting the cluster of pirates come his way before… FLASH!

    FLASH!

    John appeared behind the Overseer, immediately coming out of his crouch with an uppercut aimed at where he imagined the alien’s kidneys would be. At the same time, a burst of warp energy was released from John’s suit. For the time being, John was surrounded by a protective barrier of warp energy.

    “I must break you!” John said in his best Ivan Drago impersonation.

    If the goons were still in the room, John would consider teleporting again (I’ll make up my mind). If they weren’t, he was just going to stand and fight the Overseer.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Barrier, which is linked to a punch!

    Punchy time: [roll]1d20+10[/rol] DC25 toughness on hit

    John is deflected for the next two turns.
    Turn one deflect: (1d10+20)[24]
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2019-06-12 at 04:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventurers Amongst the Stars IC

    "I do not need to disembark just yet fly boy."
    Pixel drops the camera feed and takes a stab at the pirate's comm system, her fingers dancing across the imaginary control console in John's mindscape.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I would like to try to access the ship's communications both current and anything in the computer memory in order to relay any relevant tactical information to my allies and compose some fake transmissions between the pirate captain and any underlings that are in command of the other ships in his fleet. The end goal is to get the pirates to start shooting at each other.

    Scan Technology: Mind Reading 10 (Resisted by Opposed Technology or Will), Cumulative, Effortless, Subtle, Affects Objects Only, Limited (Technology), Perception range capped at 400 ft.

    Communication (Radio 400 ft)
    Senses (Radar/Radio), Accurate 2, Analytical 2, Rapid, Extended (3), Penetrates Concealment

    Technology checks have a +20
    Skill Mastery (Technology)
    Second Chance (Technology checks)
    Quickness 6, Limited (Technology)

    Sensor Masking is no longer in effect. Instead John has access to my Senses (Radar/Radio).
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •